closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Amps

Master

Amps

Currently finishing a house build that I have integrated a sound system in. Was wondering if there’s anyone out there that might be able to help me out with amps and stuff like that or point me in the right direction in the form of a forum.
    Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jcm3 View Post
    +1 for Sonos. Could also try AVForums. Haven’t been on there for a long time, but was really useful when I was buying some kit a while back.

Good luck!

What are you trying to achieve?

Do you just need power to installed speakers?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by r.dawson View Post
    What are you trying to achieve?

Do you just need power to installed speakers?

Have hard wired speakers into every room. Linked back to a point where I’ll have a multi room amp in a rack. Been given a niles 6430 and a niles si1230 Have 8 in ceiling speakers in open plan dining living room looking to add a sub and some standing speakers, running out of cash so will be looking to go with something for decent value that I will be able to add to. I have put 2-3 per bedroom but mainly want to set up a decent system in lounge before embarking on bedrooms and cinema room. Really need to do some research as pretty much winging it at present.

Grand Master
    on a related topic is a device available that plugs into an old style jack headphone socket for use with wireless headphones? love my vinyl but when the mob are in it's pita having to sit near the hifi while they watch crap on tv
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by fordystar View Post
    Have hard wired speakers into every room. Linked back to a point where I’ll have a multi room amp in a rack. Been given a niles 6430 and a niles si1230 Have 8 in ceiling speakers in open plan dining living room looking to add a sub and some standing speakers, running out of cash so will be looking to go with something for decent value that I will be able to add to. I have put 2-3 per bedroom but mainly want to set up a decent system in lounge before embarking on bedrooms and cinema room. Really need to do some research as pretty much winging it at present.

Nice kit to have been given!

So the amps are built into the kit you have. Not sure really what you are wanting. From what I'm reading you have the speakers and the amps/multiroom.

Master
    I guess it depends on budget but I'd probably be looking at active speakers with balanced cable runs from your source(s). You'd also probably want local volume / muting controls for each room.
    Easiest solution would be a Sonos setup with spotify otherwise I'd definitely engage a professional who can design a system for you. If you are a dedicated DIYer, first work out what it is you want exactly and then get on some of the audio forums and ask questions there.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    on a related topic is a device available that plugs into an old style jack headphone socket for use with wireless headphones? love my vinyl but when the mob are in it's pita having to sit near the hifi while they watch crap on tv
    You can buy a Bluetooth connector that turns an aux socket into a wireless point - often used in cars so that phones can connect wirelessly, but can also be used in a fixed system. You just pair the headphones to it.
    Pretty inexpensive - around £15 I think.
    Last edited by bambam; 15th December 2020 at 11:37.

If you've wired speakers back to a rack then wouldn't those Niles multiroom amps do the job? I'm not familiar with the make to be honest but it looks like they'll power several zones.

We're in the process of doing something similar with Control4 controllers and Triad amps for streaming music. Probably overkill for what you're after as we'll have the C4 stuff controlling lighting, TV, intercom, CCTV and eventually the burglar alarm.

We've still got some Sonos stuff but as most of it is S1 it would probably need replacing sometime soon anyway.

I used to install the QED Systemline controller which had 4 x built in stereo amps. I'd wire the speaker wires to QED wall mounted Volume controls with 42 strand cable and from the back of them using 'low smoke' speaker cable to a pair of ceiling speakers (KEF or Sonance.
    If more rooms were needed, I'd piggyback another controller. Why 2-3 speakers in a room and not zone 4 in stereo pairs?
    QED make some speaker switches, volume controls etc.
    You might need to look into impedance matching and wiring groups of speakers in series or parallel.

https://geoffthegreygeek.com/ufaqs/w...ries-parallel/

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I used to install the QED Systemline controller which had 4 x built in stereo amps. I'd wire the speaker wires to QED wall mounted Volume controls with 42 strand cable and from the back of them using 'low smoke' speaker cable to a pair of ceiling speakers (KEF or Sonance.
    If more rooms were needed, I'd piggyback another controller. Why 2-3 speakers in a room and not zone 4 in stereo pairs?
    QED make some speaker switches, volume controls etc.
    You might need to look into impedance matching and wiring groups of speakers in series or parallel.

https://geoffthegreygeek.com/ufaqs/w...ries-parallel/
    What he said, although are wall mounted controls needed if you can do everything from the app?

I've got to say though that Google home is an excellent alternative to all this and if you didn't already have the amps/controllers I'd recommend that route.

Craftsman
    I've always found Richer Sounds both helpful on product advice and product availability.

From my previous experience, they seem to favour the 'best buy' products across the various price ranges and are very competitive on their pricing.

Master
    Really appreciate all the help. I’ll post some pics up and videos once got house decorated. Having issue with the niles 6430 flashing blue but other kit works A1 seems very complicated but working through manuals to find issue. Seems I need to factory reset it but can’t link to my pic or my phone to do it. Technology! Isn’t it wonderful!!!!!

Really appreciate all the help. I’ll post some pics up and videos once got house decorated. Having issue with the niles 6430 flashing blue but other kit works A1 seems very complicated but working through manuals to find issue. Seems I need to factory reset it but can’t link to my pic or my phone to do it. Technology! Isn’t it wonderful!!!!!

The main thing is you have the speakers installed and the cables run.

As mentioned, I would look to plan out so each room has a stereo pair or dual stereo pair. Plus a sub if you think the listening in that room needs it. Then you will know how many zones you need and how many channels per zone.

You may also want to consider using the speakers for dual use if there is a TV in the room for home cinema. Suppose it depends on how far you on with cables, boarding and finishing.

Ideally you need to list out each room you want audio for and the use in that room.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    For this, you want a low latency bluetooth transmitter, specifically one labelled with aptX HD and aptX LL. There are a number of them, here is one list.
    https://www.headphonesty.com/2019/10...ansmitters-tv/

For the other, the Niles MRC6430 is a 6 room multiform preamp that works in conjunction with a dedicated smartphone app called Auriel. Pandora's paid service is the easiest to use source on the app. I'd also suggest finding a 2nd hand Chromecast Audio, and plugging that into one of the other audio inputs. That would give you an easier time with Spotify, as I think Spotify is still not directly supported on this Niles platform.

Master

Amps

For this, you want a low latency bluetooth transmitter, specifically one labelled with aptX HD and aptX LL. There are a number of them, here is one list.
    https://www.headphonesty.com/2019/10...ansmitters-tv/

For the other, the Niles MRC6430 is a 6 room multiform preamp that works in conjunction with a dedicated smartphone app called Auriel. Pandora's paid service is the easiest to use source on the app. I'd also suggest finding a 2nd hand Chromecast Audio, and plugging that into one of the other audio inputs. That would give you an easier time with Spotify, as I think Spotify is still not directly supported on this Niles platform.
    Yeah downloaded Auriel. Thing is just blinking and it won’t connect need to reset it but if you can’t connect it won’t reset. May end up replacing that out if it won’t respond. I also have a blue node 2j I use for streaming and connecting to.

Last edited by fordystar; 15th December 2020 at 21:43.

Craftsman
    You need to download a piece of software to reset one of these boxes, and have the computer that the software is installed on connected to the same network. The software and the details can be found here. https://www.nilesaudio.com/tech-support-auriel

FYI, Niles isn't really built to be a homeowner supported product. It is intended that you'd get support from your installing dealer with issues like this one.

Master
    You need to download a piece of software to reset one of these boxes, and have the computer that the software is installed on connected to the same network. The software and the details can be found here. https://www.nilesaudio.com/tech-support-auriel

FYI, Niles isn't really built to be a homeowner supported product. It is intended that you'd get support from your installing dealer with issues like this one.
    I’m getting that vibe. I’m ok with tech but this is perhaps a little out my remit. Like I said I may need to do some research. I get like this when I get stuck into a hobby. (Watches took up a massive part of my life now think it’s a change) I’m just finishing off a build of my forever home that I built from scratch so now have just gotten a little bored with the whole rolex patek rubbish.

Craftsman
    I also have a blue node 2j I use for streaming and connecting to.
    I'm not the biggest Bluesound fan, but I do think it is a much better platform than Niles Auriel. As you are already on the platform, you might consider replacing the MRC6430 with a handful of additional Bluesound Nodes. Its a better sounding product, and a far bit better than trying to use both at once. They'll work just fine with the si1230 you already have in place, and there are options for a multi-channel media room or a high end listening space with NAD that Auriel just doesn't offer.

Master
    I'm not the biggest Bluesound fan, but I do think it is a much better platform than Niles Auriel. As you are already on the platform, you might consider replacing the MRC6430 with a handful of additional Bluesound Nodes. Its a better sounding product, and a far bit better than trying to use both at once. They'll work just fine with the si1230 you already have in place, and there are options for a multi-channel media room or a high end listening space with NAD that Auriel just doesn't offer.
    I’m a Sonos man myself so take this as general thoughts rather than advice

There seems to be a risk of mixing eco systems from what I’ve understood the Niles system will control input to room selection, has some but not all of the streaming services you want and can have additional inputs from a Sonos/chromecast/bluos device to enable Spotify.

The issue is (depending on what app integration there is?) is having to use multiple apps to select input sources streams and volume control.

If Spotify is a must then I think you have to accept this and use a chrome cast or two.

But as you are already a bluos user are you aware that nad does a four zone bluos streamer / pre-amp, I expect this could be paired with your existing power amp for multi room duties.

https://nadelectronics.com/product/c...-music-player/

It would also integrate with your existing bluesound device and when your ready to do the cinema nad make avr’s with the bluos so I’d assume you’d have seamless control from a single app.

I think couple of the questions to resolve are how many zones do you expect to be live at any time with different inputs/sources

and are you happy with multiple control apps?
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 16th December 2020 at 10:15.

Master
    Good advice. Think the 6430 is a no go anyways so forced down this path the blue sound works really well tbh and only give my mate £250 for it.