closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dash Cam Query

Master

Dash Cam Query

Hello,

I searched for threads but didn't find any up to date ones, plus I have a specific query;

Can anyone recommend a particular camera which can be left permanently in position and doesn't need removing each time. So, something particularly sleek. The BlackVue ones seem good for this, but are expensive.

The cheaper you go, the more bulky they are, often connected by stems which make them very prominent.

The NextBase 522 looks fantastic, but can be clipped in and out easily, so probably would need removing and hiding each time I park in town.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Hello,

I searched for threads but didn't find any up to date ones, plus I have a specific query;

Can anyone recommend a particular camera which can be left permanently in position and doesn't need removing each time. So, something particularly sleek. The BlackVue ones seem good for this, but are expensive.

The cheaper you go, the more bulky they are, often connected by stems which make them very prominent.

The NextBase 522 looks fantastic, but can be clipped in and out easily, so probably would need removing and hiding each time I park in town.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks!
    Why would it need hiding every time? are they commonly stolen i where you normally park?

Craftsman
    I purchased an AUKEY Dual Dash Cam【Upgraded Sensor】FHD 1080P Front and Rear Camera Car Cam for our Auris as the kids both use it as well. Both cameras stick to screens. Hardest part was feeding cables around (power & video) Handy unit none-the-less. From Amazon.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    Why would it need hiding every time? are they commonly stolen i where you normally park?
    Don't know... I just thought they might be?

I’ve got a nextbase 522 and it’s very good. It’s been in place since I bought it a year ago, I’ve never thought to remove it ever.

Master
    Don't know... I just thought they might be?
    Ive fitted dash cams in several vehicles, they are always fit and forget.

Some also have g sensor so start recording if the sensor has been set off which may capture a hit and run or similar. No use if the camera is removed

I have two, both are left in place all of the time.

If its visibility bothers you, the Blackvue is a much more discreet option due to its size and form factor, it also secures MUCH better to the screen (sticky pad) than my Nextbase, which is much bulkier and has the 'suction cup' style fitting so relentlessly falls off when it is warm/cold/sunny/frosty/(any excuse really....).

Check out DDpai dash cams, they just work

I bought my daughter this one, unfortunately i think it is obsolete now

https://dashboardcamerareviews.com/ddpai-m6-plus/
    Last edited by adrianw; 14th December 2020 at 12:51.

Master
    I've had the Thinkware F770 front dashcam hardwired to my car for 3 years, and 6 months before that in my previous car with no problems (other than the irritating speed camera warnings, although you can turn that feature off);
    https://www.thinkware.com/Products/Dashcam/F770
    I fitted it behind and just to the left of my rear view mirror so it's not visible from the driving seat.

Craftsman
    Like most have replied, dash cams are nearly always fitted and forgotten about.

Master
    Thinkware f800 pro user here. Not the cheapest but very discreet and footage is excellent.

Craftsman
    I have the Nextbase 328, it’s 3 years old now and just stays in the car. Very handy things, had a chap run into me in a petrol station, told him the accident had been recorded. Claim went through very easy.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captaincook View Post
    Like most have replied, dash cams are nearly always fitted and forgotten about.
    Brilliant, thanks. I just assumed folks removed them.

I would like to avoid suction cups and go for an adhesive solution.

BlackVue looks great but too much ££. NextBase seem to be highly rated and although not cheap, are much less than the BlackVue and dont look overly bulky.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    I've had the Thinkware F770 front dashcam hardwired to my car for 3 years, and 6 months before that in my previous car with no problems (other than the irritating speed camera warnings, although you can turn that feature off);
    https://www.thinkware.com/Products/Dashcam/F770
    I fitted it behind and just to the left of my rear view mirror so it's not visible from the driving seat.
    Those look just like the BlackVue... might be the ticket.

Is a camera with an in built screen of much use?

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Check out DDpai dash cams, they just work
    They don't seem to offer a front and back solution, or do they?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I have the blackvue, expensive but works well. Only annoyances (and it is a big one) is they want you to use their own branded SD cards and replace them every 3 months. I bought some high end ones which didn't work and just mean the camera said "restarting" every 10 mins. I now have a normal sanddisk card and it only restarts once in a while.

If you have it on in parking mode and don't drive often it will kill your battery. We turned this off after a few low battery alerts on the cat.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post

If you have it on in parking mode and don't drive often it will kill your battery. We turned this off after a few low battery alerts on the cat.
    Car battery or internal dash cam battery? if its been hardwired in correctly it should only use the car battery when its ignition on or engine running.

Car battery or internal dash cam battery? if its been hardwired in correctly it should only use the car battery when its ignition on or engine running.
    Car battery as you can't really have parking mode on otherwise. If it detects movement or other activity it turns on and records and the ignition won't be on when you're in Tesco etc.

We got it installed on our GLC the same day as my in-laws had it installed on their XC90. We had issues, they didn't. We've since turned off parking mode but the in-laws haven't. The guy who installed it said his parents have a GLC too and apparently the batteries are just really sensitive for some reason so we took it back and he changed something and it doesn't happen anymore.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Car battery as you can't really have parking mode on otherwise. If it detects movement or other activity it turns on and records and the ignition won't be on when you're in Tesco etc.

We got it installed on our GLC the same day as my in-laws had it installed on their XC90. We had issues, they didn't. We've since turned off parking mode but the in-laws haven't. The guy who installed it said his parents have a GLC too and apparently the batteries are just really sensitive for some reason so we took it back and he changed something and it doesn't happen anymore.
    The Nextbase ones (and most others) have an internal battery that powers the dashcam when it doesn't have power from the car battery, this is only a finite amount of power but is sufficient if the car is used every other day and most importantly wont drain your car battery.
    Last edited by Estoril-5; 14th December 2020 at 13:31. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    They don't seem to offer a front and back solution, or do they?
    http://en.ddpai.com/product/x/52.html

I don't know what availability is like in the UK, their products and software are very good, I think Amazon are the largest outlet

The Nextbase ones (and most others) have an internal battery that powers the dashcam when it doesn't have power from the car battery, this is only a finite amount of power but is sufficient if the car is used every other day and most importantly wont drain your car battery.
    My brother has one in his van and it seems ok. His sticks onto the window and is wired into his cigarette socket similar to a phone so is unlikely to drain the van. Seems ok but not as slick as the blackvue and his one only does the front.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    http://en.ddpai.com/product/x/52.html

I don't know what availability is like in the UK, their products and software are very good, I think Amazon are the largest outlet
    Thank you :)

They are a target for thieves. I always take mine down (Nextbase). I also black taped over the bright lettering.

I've had my Nextbase hard wired into my car and always leave it in (although it has a clip on/off feature), and it's been like that for the past 6 years.
    Never had anyone try to steal it.
    Although I have put black tape over the shiny bits on the front.

Master
    The hardwire kit for the Thinkware has a switched and permanent feed, the latter is for the parking mode. To prevent flat vehicle batteries, there is a sensor in the camera that turns it off when the car battery drops below a certain voltage. There is a sub-menu that allows you to set the voltage value.

I have a Mivue one. The front is hard wired but you can disconnect at the camera end and put away.

The bulky fixing and bulky rear view mirror meant it could not be positioned higher up the windscreen. I then velcroed the back of the mirror with a build up of Velcro on one side and attached the camera. The shiny silver lens surround was given a once over with a permanent marker. This was a temporary solution but it’s quiet well hidden that I’ve left it and it’s been a number of years.

This was supplied and fitted by Halfords.

The rear camera just plugged into the cigarette lighter in the boot and is held in place by the middle head rest.

Master
    I have a Garmin, excellent footage and very small and discreet. Can be removed very easily if required as it's magnetic (small holding arm is stuck to windscreen). Power cable is hardwired in and records movement when parked up. Never removed it it 18 months.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    I have a Garmin, excellent footage and very small and discreet. Can be removed very easily if required as it's magnetic (small holding arm is stuck to windscreen). Power cable is hardwired in and records movement when parked up. Never removed it it 18 months.
    Is that the garmin 66?

Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post

The rear camera just plugged into the cigarette lighter in the boot and is held in place by the middle head rest.
    That’s a good idea, I’ve wanted a rear facing one for ages, but didn’t know where to mount it, it’s an estate so on the rear window wouldn’t be practical, the headrest might work. ( Also with the boot lighter socket)
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    That’s a good idea, I’ve wanted a rear facing one for ages, but didn’t know where to mount it, it’s an estate so on the rear window wouldn’t be practical, the headrest might work. ( Also with the boot lighter socket)
    Why not? The rear window is the best place (within the wiper blade sweep area). I suppose it will get in the way a bit (visually) but should soon forget it’s there.

Craftsman

Viofo

Cameras regularly get glowing reports. I’ve recently installed a Viofo A129 4K Pro Duo. It has front and rear cameras and so far I am extremely pleased with it. It looks bulky in some ads but is smaller than a packet of fags. If you don’t want the 4K version they do a cheaper one that looks identical for around £150.

Why not? The rear window is the best place (within the wiper blade sweep area). I suppose it will get in the way a bit (visually) but should soon forget it’s there.
    It’s more the power cable issue, there would need to be a lot of cable ‘loose’ so when you lift the tailgate it doesn’t pull out.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    It’s more the power cable issue, there would need to be a lot of cable ‘loose’ so when you lift the tailgate it doesn’t pull out.
    Ah, yes, I see what you mean. The set ups I’ve been researching look pretty tidy but yes there is usually some loose wire...

Ah, yes, I see what you mean. The set ups I’ve been researching look pretty tidy but yes there is usually some loose wire...
    If the wire is near the hinge, as the tailgate rotates around the hinge it will only need a short excess. (radius remains the same during the rotation)

Craftsman
    Got me looking around and Nextbase have a new very capable model available, the 622GW.

I like the image stabilisation and what3words, not sure if 4K is required.

Introducing the award-winning Nextbase 622GW 4K Dash Cam. With an abundance of world-first features, including Image Stabilisation, what3words and stunning 4K image quality, the 622GW is the most in-demand Dash Cam on the planet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The camera is mounted under the middle headrest with the cable running parallel to the top of the rear seats and then to the side to connect to the cigarette lighter. The excess cable is rolled up and is hooked onto the hooks in the boot (ie for holding bags etc). The parcel shelf hides the cable.

I can open and close the boot of my Golf Mk 5 as normal and load up the boot as normal. There is only an issue if the rear seats have to be dropped flat to allow greater 'boot' space but the rear camera is taken out and put back with ease.

I used DDpai

I like them as they don't have a screen and are very discreet. Great app and they're really reasonable. I just bought one for my new car for £53.99 from Amazon. Has GPS and is 1600p .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CatalystGuy View Post
    Got me looking around and Nextbase have a new very capable model available, the 622GW.
    Been looking at it but it’s ££ more than the 522 and people say the 4K somehow makes the images not quite as good as a dash cam than the 1080p of the 522

Master
    I’ve been all around the houses re: dash cams and researched them to the nth degree lately and keep coming back to the 522.

It’s not perfect (not great in low light, for example, and no ‘super capacitors’) but it seems the most practical for me

I would like to avoid suction cups and go for an adhesive solution.
    If your reason for avoiding suction cups then there's a simple solution.

• Clean screen and the suction cup thoroughly (I use isopropyl alcohol as a final clean)
    • Apply a small bead of clear silicon mastic around the inside edge of the suction cup
    • Push it firmly into place (you're look to expel the air) and then use masking tape to hold it in place overnight

This I've done on many cars, both my own and on other people's and never had a failure (SWMBO had the same mount on her car for ten years without a problem).

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Good thinking there Ralphy. Actually, I might use that for a suction cup I have in the shower which keeps falling off the tiled wall!

I fitted a couple of next base 522’s to our cars, and I think the image quality is excellent. The instructions explain how to adjust the polarising filter and I think the filter makes a huge difference. Found the app a bit glitchy and never bothered setting up the Alexa in either as I just don’t want or need any extra distractions in the car (one is my son’s, 1 in our summer convertible) - but as a dash cam if you just use the basic features they seem very good. Used the adhesive pads on both - tried the suction cup and apart from being slightly larger I can’t see it ever coming loose. The only thing I found annoying was the placement of the slot for any rear view attachments - seems better suited for left hand drive vehicles as positioning was quite fiddly to avoid interfering with any sensors up behind the rear view mirror. As a result I don’t think there’s really a viable option to fit the rear/cabin view modules (and I can’t be bothered to faff about with wiring one in for my son’s car amd on the convertible it’s not an option). Imho no point spending any more on gadgets you likely won’t need and will never use!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Is that the garmin 66?
    Sorry for the late reply, mine is the 55 Plus (there's probably newer models out now).

Master
    I had an 'APEMAN' in my previous car
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

front and back, all the trimmings decent day and night video, very discrete and didn't cost the earth.

The only reason I didn't get another is that my current car would make hiding the wiring difficult.

I’ve got a Viofo A119 V3 in my car and my son has the super duper Blackvue all singing all dancing.

Am quite happy with my A119 V3, was a case of installed and forgotten, my son on the other hand has had no end of issues with his Blackvue, overheating being the latest.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    If the wire is near the hinge, as the tailgate rotates around the hinge it will only need a short excess. (radius remains the same during the rotation)
    Looking a little more into this, it appears that you can run the wire into the hinge, as I discovered recently when looking into fitting a reverse cam.

I am considering a Viofo A129 Plus myself at the moment...
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 21st April 2021 at 11:00.

Master
    I fitted front (DC 66W) and rear (DC Mini) Garmin dash cams a couple of years ago and they’ve been faultless. Never once thought of taking them out when I leave the car and both are tiny, particularly the rear facing DC Mini. Definitely fit and forget and are hard to spot from the outside with the privacy glass on the car. The app is great for reviewing and exporting footage and it automatically saves possible accident related incidents.

Cheers
    Neil