closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speedmaster 321 steel

Journeyman

Speedmaster 321 steel

I was very surprised to get the call on Saturday that a new 321 is available for me to purchase. I’m going into the dealer tomorrow to pick it up. Pretty excited as I was expecting to be waiting quite a while for it.

I haven’t seen much discussion about this watch here recently and wondered who has got one already and what they think of it?

Master
    I was offered one a little while ago but passed on it. Stunning view through the caseback and bracelet sets the bar really high. I like Speedmasters because of the looks/design but no particular interest in the history of that movement so couldn’t justify the price. Should be more suited to 321 enthusiasts’ collections. Production will be low.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...66#post5564966

Master
    Was a long thread on here before, but, F me, the price!

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Master
    Lucky man; I’ve yet to hear of a single person owning one of these. They are incredibly rare. Unlike most sought-after watches, you can’t buy them ‘grey’. Grab it while you can.
    As for price....how many genuinely hand made scarce watches can you buy for less?
    Last edited by paskinner; 14th December 2020 at 06:05.

Very envious indeed. Would love to see some photos when you get it.

Journeyman

I’ve got it! More pics and thoughts to follow...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gavster View Post

I’ve got it! More pics and thoughts to follow...
    That looks lovely, although the bezel appears a little shiny - is it ceramic?

Excellent, looks great and nice to see one on the forum at last. I think those who were offered one and turned it down might live to regret their decision.

It looks v high quality over the normal speedy range to my eye

V nice indeed

Journeyman
    Here is a pic of movement :) (I’ve just taken the sticker off)
    The bezel is ceramic which I personally like (along with the sapphire case back).
    The bracelet fits me really well and is very comfortable. I particularly like the tapering.
    Yes I like it a lot!

Master
    That’s beautiful. Are the hour plots slightly off white to give that aged look?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Schofie View Post
    That’s beautiful. Are the hour plots slightly off white to give that aged look?
    No, absolutely not, though that is a common internet myth. Even lazy watch journalists, who ought to know better, have referred to the lume as faux aged. But it ain’t.

The colour of the lume has been chosen to match the colour of the original Ed white At the time of its release as a brand new watch, not as an aged watch. There is no aged look about it.

Have a google and you’ll find some reviews / forum posts with archive photos of an original next to the new version. Same colour..

Journeyman
    I would add that the Omega Boutique in Oxford Street were a pleasure to deal with and very friendly and relaxed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I think those who were offered one and turned it down might live to regret their decision.
    No regrets here so far and doubt there will be later on either, no matter what happens to the secondary market prices. Besides, I was voluntarily assured I would be able to get one in future if I ever changed my mind. Refreshing as I wouldn't expect this from many Rolex ADs after turning down a 'hot' watch.

It's a brilliantly finished watch and has a solid place in a true 321/space enthusiast's collection but not for me unfortunately.
    Last edited by FK77; 14th December 2020 at 18:34.

Master
    I would add that the Omega Boutique in Oxford Street were a pleasure to deal with and very friendly and relaxed.
    The OBs I have dealt with have also been great. Very customer oriented and knowledgeable.

Craftsman
    Not a big Speedmaster fan, but really like that. Congrats OP!

Craftsman
    Here is a pic of movement :) (I’ve just taken the sticker off)
    The bezel is ceramic which I personally like (along with the sapphire case back).
    The bracelet fits me really well and is very comfortable. I particularly like the tapering.
    Yes I like it a lot!

That's beautiful! Congrats!

That case back is stunning. I’m increasingly beginning to appreciate the back of a watch, it’s like the owners secret pleasure. Never been a big fan of the speedmaster (sacrilege I know), but this one made me double take!

Almost worth it for the caseback alone, bit like buying a Lange to some degree.

Really nice, interesting to see what the mark up would be through a grey dealer, unlike the in demand Rolex this would be harder to price if say Watchfinder were offered one ..

EDIT- Chrono24 have about 10 with an average price of about £15k..
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 15th December 2020 at 12:39.

Great watch, thanks for the pictures and enjoy!

Master
    Beautiful, beautiful watch.
    Well done the OP.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Good lord, that is handsome. OP, you’re a lucky man, but then you knew that... The movement looks beautiful - although I suppose it was a “high end workhorse” movement at the time, it has aged well, aesthetically speaking.

I do like a Speedmaster and the display back on that one is very very nice.

That really is beautiful. The vanilla coloured lume is perfect - remember there were similar comments about the lume on the Breitling 806 reissue but Fred pointed out that the lume was exactly the same as it was originally, or as close as possible. Not being a fan of superluminova, that’s the icing on the cake for me.

Regards

Jon.

This is the first Speedmaster I really truly like. That case back is a real gem!

The price is a total turn-off for me. Will be watching the secdonary market closely to see how well they hold up...

Journeyman
    This watch has been on my wrist a lot since I bought it. I have previously had the fois but I’ve found the 321 more comfortable to wear - I think it’s a bit thinner (13mm vs 14.5mm) and that seems to make quite a difference to how it feels on the wrist.
    The 321 is also very easy to wind, I did find the fois a bit awkward in this regard. The 321 bracelet continues to impress me, very silky, reminds me of the bracelet on my 5711. As has been mentioned by others the case back view is fantastic, I prefer to be able to see the movement so this is a real positive for me. Finally, I am really enjoying the vintage feel that no crown guards gives, I think it makes the watch better proportioned for me.
    Probably this watch isn’t going to be strong on the secondary market as supply really gets going, given the retail price, I’d guess the demand is going to be quite a bit less than say the new snoopy. But I don’t care, I’ve found the right Speedmaster for me.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It’s a lovely watch but one for those wis that want this. That market isn’t huge and I suspect over time these will be discounted. Let’s face it omega like most brand will keep making them and not hold back, they destroyed the dark side of the moon value with this approach. When that came out it was hailed as a over rrp halo model like the Daytona. Omega soon saw to that..

A grey have one and I bet they didn’t pay anything over list. Their margins are too high! Still unsold and says a lot tbh about the future.

https://www.watchcentre.com/product/...0.01.001/24678

Buy to enjoy and keep which is what the OP has done and that’s the way to do it.

Ouch 15500 watchcentre
    Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    It’s a lovely watch but one for those wis that want this. That market isn’t huge and I suspect over time these will be discounted. Let’s face it omega like most brand will keep making them and not hold back, they destroyed the dark side of the moon value with this approach. When that came out it was hailed as a over rrp halo model like the Daytona. Omega soon saw to that..

A grey have one and I bet they didn’t pay anything over list. Their margins are too high! Still unsold and says a lot tbh about the future.

https://www.watchcentre.com/product/...0.01.001/24678

Buy to enjoy and keep which is what the OP has done and that’s the way to do it.
    Sent from my SM-G970F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by bokbok View Post
    Ouch 15500 watchcentre

Means they'd have bought it at a smidge over RRP. This isn't a Silver Snoopy situation.

I've been offered this already and my history with that AD is ok but hardly spectacular and certainly not the kind out outlay needed to get offered Pepsi or Kermit etc from a Rolex AD.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Means they'd have bought it at a smidge over RRP. This isn't a Silver Snoopy situation.

I've been offered this already and my history with that AD is ok but hardly spectacular and certainly not the kind out outlay needed to get offered Pepsi or Kermit etc from a Rolex AD.

Which kinda was the point of my post, it’s in the text. I’ve pointed out that a grey to be at this level which is 20% over list for example is all their margin and some, after vat they pay etc. Mean there is nothing in it for the original purchaser, and this has been there a little while and not sold. The next one they buy will be a lot less.

I see this as good news and the profit flippers will eventually see this and stay away, more for enthusiasts who want it
    Last edited by Kash; 27th December 2020 at 10:14.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    No, absolutely not, though that is a common internet myth. Even lazy watch journalists, who ought to know better, have referred to the lume as faux aged. But it ain’t.

The colour of the lume has been chosen to match the colour of the original Ed white At the time of its release as a brand new watch, not as an aged watch. There is no aged look about it.

Have a google and you’ll find some reviews / forum posts with archive photos of an original next to the new version. Same colour..
    So it’s faux new tritium then? Which ever way you slice it, the material used today isn’t the same as that on the EW so there is an element of mimicry.

I love the EW in both its incarnations btw, and I have no problem with tinted SL lume, I’m just a little amused at the indignation shown above.
    Last edited by Padders; 27th December 2020 at 10:08.

Master
    Why buy this when can buy a nice vintage 105.012 or 145.012 the true moon reference watches with 321 movement for less. The reference that Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and other Apollo astronauts actually wore to the moon.

Master
    It seems to me that production has been so marginal so far that there is no real market . A couple of grey 321s is all it amounts to in the UK. Remember when ‘grey’ Daytona’s were only slightly above retail? It wasn’t so long ago. Did that lead to collapsing prices?
    Of all Omega watches, this is the only one limited by hand-production. All the others can be mass produced whenever Omega chooses. Not the 321. And that’s why predictions of lower prices are probably badly wrong.
    Incidentally, I’m one of thousands of people on the waiting list...have I been offered a watch? Have the vast majority? Absolutely not. A handful of people in a handful of boutiques is not a market.
    Which is probably why there seems to be only one known member of TZ who actually owns a new 321. And if he wanted to sell on SC, at a profit, it would go in minutes. (I’m not suggesting he should!).
    Last edited by paskinner; 27th December 2020 at 11:15.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Why buy this when can buy a nice vintage 105.012 or 145.012 the true moon reference watches with 321 movement for less. The reference that Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and other Apollo astronauts actually wore to the moon.
    Have to agree with this, would probably still agree even if the new 321 was £8k RRP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    I wanted a new watch and the clear case back to be able to see the movement was a definitive plus for me.

I’m just not into vintage watches (although obviously I like the look). I can understand that a vintage watch enthusiast would prefer the original.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    It seems to me that production has been so marginal so far that there is no real market . A couple of grey 321s is all it amounts to in the UK. Remember when ‘grey’ Daytona’s were only slightly above retail? It wasn’t so long ago. Did that lead to collapsing prices?
    Of all Omega watches, this is the only one limited by hand-production. All the others can be mass produced whenever Omega chooses. Not the 321. And that’s why predictions of lower prices are probably badly wrong.
    Incidentally, I’m one of thousands of people on the waiting list...have I been offered a watch? Have the vast majority? Absolutely not. A handful of people in a handful of boutiques is not a market.
    Which is probably why there seems to be only one known member of TZ who actually owns a new 321. And if he wanted to sell on SC, at a profit, it would go in minutes. (I’m not suggesting he should!).
    Referencing Daytona is far off, omega doesn’t know how to manage its brand like Rolex. This watch is at a grey for not a lot over list, it’s not sold and has been there a little while. Honestly, not many people on the used market will pay 12k for a speedy, once the wis have there fill. Go haggle with WC, you won’t need to pay 15.5k I think 14 and it’s yours, so I doubt very much this would fly on SC at a profit. Agree to disagree here

For the record I like the watch, wouldn’t buy one but who cares. The OP loves it and will enjoy it. But I do laugh at some who like to talk up prices (and also who seem to be on the list). It’s not realistic
    Last edited by Kash; 27th December 2020 at 11:31.

Really beautiful watch. Enjoy. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    I wanted a new watch and the clear case back to be able to see the movement was a definitive plus for me.

I’m just not into vintage watches (although obviously I like the look). I can understand that a vintage watch enthusiast would prefer the original.

That’s fair point, no need to worry about authenticating dials and parts etc which can be an issue for vintage and clear case back is a big plus

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    Referencing Daytona is far off, omega doesn’t know how to manage its brand like Rolex.
    For the record I like the watch, wouldn’t buy one but who cares. The OP loves it and will enjoy it. But I do laugh at some who like to talk up prices (and also who seem to be on the list). It’s not realistic
    You’re an expert, I’m not. But here I think you are wrong; The failure , I think, in assessing the 321, is not to recognise how genuinely special it is. Any of the ‘snoopies’ and so on, are simply modified dials and cases on a standard watch. Easy to assemble on a standard production line, and highly profitable.
    The 321 is quite different, hand built by an individual technician, with a completely different (historic) movement, and far less easy to increase production. When was the last time there was a hand-built Speedmaster ? Or a model with a 321 movement? Or that lovely bracelet?
    At some point, watch collectors will recognise the value, compared with the cynical marketing models that are so popular.
    And far from ‘talking up’ prices, it would suit me if they fell...but I just don’t believe it will happen. The good thing is over the next few years, we will see.

The problem is the 12k Rrp I feel the watch is far too expensive for a Omega, it's nice but not 12k nice but each to there own

The 50th anniversary has become a flop and seemed toppy on Rrp at the time and they 3k / 4k cheaper than the 321 model
    This 321 is nice and great watch far better than 50th anniversary. The biggest problem I have is I own a ed white but also one of the Rolex fans through and through

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post

Last edited by bokbok; 27th December 2020 at 15:23.

If anyone is primarily interested in seeing the movement, it is possible to buy a third party case back to fit an original. In fact, I might still have one somewhere ...

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    You’re an expert, I’m not. But here I think you are wrong; The failure , I think, in assessing the 321, is not to recognise how genuinely special it is. Any of the ‘snoopies’ and so on, are simply modified dials and cases on a standard watch. Easy to assemble on a standard production line, and highly profitable.
    The 321 is quite different, hand built by an individual technician, with a completely different (historic) movement, and far less easy to increase production. When was the last time there was a hand-built Speedmaster ? Or a model with a 321 movement? Or that lovely bracelet?
    At some point, watch collectors will recognise the value, compared with the cynical marketing models that are so popular.
    And far from ‘talking up’ prices, it would suit me if they fell...but I just don’t believe it will happen. The good thing is over the next few years, we will see.
    All true. But Daytona demand isn’t being driven by WIS. They couldn’t care less about the horological importance of Daytona. They want it because it’s Rolex and more specifically because it’s probably the most exclusive Rolex. So to them it’ a grail in that sense.

They buy it because their friends know what it is and it gives them status. Simply, the speedmaster does not even come close to offering this. So to spend 12k on a watch no one will covet snd envy is bonkers to them.

And I for one am very happy about this. I really would like one!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OHG1X View Post
    Well done the OP.

Indeed!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OHG1X View Post
    Well done the OP.

Indeed!

Now committed to getting one of these - AD told me it would arrive by the end of the month so fingers crossed... hopefully Omega won't raise their prices again before that o.o (no discounts on 'limited availability' watches such as the 321 from my local AD)

Speedmaster 321 steel

Discounts should soon be available. Omega will make a lot of these.
    Last edited by Toshk; 9th January 2021 at 23:08.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think it looks fantastic especially the smaller size and slimmer lugs for the Rolex fanboys out there.

My only issue is the amount of polishing, I prefer brushing so would likely put it on a nato or leather.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Discounts should soon be available. Omega will make a lot of these.
    Hope that's true! I have to say, I reckon it'll not be that easy to sell on. It's a niche market.

I very much doubt that. Arent these OB only?

A maximum of 2000 a year made which will be reduced once demand slows no doubt.