closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Universal Geneve repair help

Master

Universal Geneve repair help

Anybody who can provide some advice on this will be a real hero
    About 18 months ago when I was probably doing a bit too much collecting for my own good I bought what sounded like a bargain Gold cased UG as a dressy watch.
    Later on the crown completely detached however it can be inserted to wind but pulling out to set hands and you end up with a crown in your hands. I took it locally into a central London repair shop where he just said obsolete parts can’t do it. The rotor noise is also rather loud so not sure if that is just a micro rotor quirk or a sign of an issue
    I’m just wondering whether there is any good UG experts out there who in the new year could take a look and might even be able to fashion some sort of fix. I’ve no intention of selling it on so a quick basic fix would be order of the day

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    Anybody who can provide some advice on this will be a real hero
    About 18 months ago when I was probably doing a bit too much collecting for my own good I bought what sounded like a bargain Gold cased UG as a dressy watch.
    Later on the crown completely detached however it can be inserted to wind but pulling out to set hands and you end up with a crown in your hands. I took it locally into a central London repair shop where he just said obsolete parts can’t do it. The rotor noise is also rather loud so not sure if that is just a micro rotor quirk or a sign of an issue
    I’m just wondering whether there is any good UG experts out there who in the new year could take a look and might even be able to fashion some sort of fix. I’ve no intention of selling it on so a quick basic fix would be order of the day
    Image of watch
    anonymous picture sharing

If you can insert the crown/ stem and it still moves the hands , this would suggest its just a keyless works problem ? setting lever loose ?

have you tried taking the back off and screwing in the setting lever screw ?

If i remember correctly from posts on another forum , there is a good watchmaker in France that services these, as he has a stock of parts. You will need to do some serious googling as i cant remember exactly which forum it was ( Long time ago ).

Sorry just re read you cant move the hands !, still think its a problem with keyless works
    Last edited by Robbo12; 13th December 2020 at 18:58.

Master
    Some really good advice and help - changed it from a bit of a helpless situation to something with a potential positive

Thanks all

As already stated, Rob Horan is the watchmaker in France however he does not have a stock of spares- I either supply spares (normally donor movements) or we work together to see what we can source from the internet. A starting point would be to identify the precise variant of Polerouter Date - there should be two lines of numbers on the case back which will be the serial no and the case reference. If you can get the back off that would be even better as you can immediately identify the caliber.

I'd say contact Rob and see what he says. Once you know what the caliber is then post it here - I think I'm unlikely to have any spares for that model but probably have enough Ebay saved searches to locate some.

It's worth taking the opportunity to stick this link in about microtor repairs - from the good old days when Brendan was making valuable contributions rather than winding everybody up.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...sh-replacement

Oh, and is it solid gold or plated/capped?
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

That looks like it should have a cal 69 microtor movement. These are a bit of a pain to repair the rotor noise as they have a ball bearing in them that’s a £100 part, and I only know of one source online.
    The keyless work that holds the stem in is not a screw but a little sprung push button, sounds like the spring has broken/ become disconnected, I doubt anything is broken in there but just out of place.
    You’ll find more info and advice if you go to the omega forum as there’s a dedicated thread to ug there and you must have come across the excellent universalgenevepolerouter.com website?
    Cheers

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    As already stated, Rob Horan is the watchmaker in France however he does not have a stock of spares- I either supply spares (normally donor movements) or we work together to see what we can source from the internet. A starting point would be to identify the precise variant of Polerouter Date - there should be two lines of numbers on the case back which will be the serial no and the case reference. If you can get the back off that would be even better as you can immediately identify the caliber.

I'd say contact Rob and see what he says. Once you know what the caliber is then post it here - I think I'm unlikely to have any spares for that model but probably have enough Ebay saved searches to locate some.

It's worth taking the opportunity to stick this link in about microtor repairs - from the good old days when Brendan was making valuable contributions rather than winding everybody up.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...sh-replacement

Oh, and is it solid gold or plated/capped?
    I’ll certainly follow up with Rob.
    I’m pretty sure it’s solid gold as there appears to be a hall mark in the inner lug. Case back appears to be gold . My gold capped Omega Connie in contrast has a steel back
    Last edited by Mark lowman; 14th December 2020 at 07:38.

Lovely. And don’t lose that crown - you won’t get a replacement for it.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Craftsman
    Watch Guy | Watch repair blog

This chap seems to have serviced a lot of UG over the last few months, he puts up step by step pics of the service. Might be worth an email.