closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tales from the workshop; the Saab Saga continues

Blog Entries

Tales from the workshop; the Saab Saga continues

A few weeks back, I posted a few pics of what's going on in the workshop. This time, the Saab!

Work is progressing, but sloooooowly. All parts are taken out/off, including the complete suspension. What makes the the job slow, is the preparation for blasting. The car's underside is always properly maintained with ML Tectyl. It has a pro and a con: the pro is that there's hardly any rust on the underside of the body! The con is that it's a nasty job to remove all the tar-like stuff. You can't blast a car with the underseal still on: the blasting material will simply bounce off! So, out with the scrapers, a deep breath, mouth mask and safety goggles on. Experience has learned that doing this for one hour/day is the best strategy. And all pitch in; everybody pulls his 'weight'.

As said, the car is virtually rust free. The only affected spots is where we found mouse nests and the lower half of the front window cowl (what we call a 'paravaan'). Scrapinyg off the underseal will take a while and then it's off to the blaster. To see if he reveals any nasties we hadn't spotted.

Again, I'm biased when it comes these Saabs, but closing the door without the door latch makes me so happy. The sound when you close the door is like closing a vault! A very assuring 'clang!' Not that poxy stuff you find nowadays.

At the same time: all parts that need to be black again, are off to the powder coater and a lot of the more shiny parts are off to be zinc plated. First job next week is welding a trolley for the body. We always use bespoke trollies for our cars. 100 euros tube, 4 heavy duty castor wheels and a morning welding does the job!

The red lead on the wings etc is ‘factory finish’!

Last edited by thieuster; 12th December 2020 at 18:17.

Love these Saabs....Subscribed!

Craftsman
    Beautiful car!

I wonder if that could more easily be removed chemically.

Blog Entries

Tales from the workshop; the Saab Saga continues

The trolley is ready. Mind you, it needed more iron (struts) that other trollies! The bare body of the Saab is pretty heavy! Saab steel is really thicker than other manufacturers' sheet metal!

We found a handful of holes. Exactly where I'd expected them to be and a few were we found mouse droppings... Experience tells us that the holes we see now are likely to be bigger (50 - 75%) under the remaining paint. But nothing that worries us!

The trolley is bolted to the body at 4 points: at the rear to the rear shocks mounting points and at the front through the bottom plate where normally the engine mounts are bolted to the body. Measuring and welding took a large part of the day, last Monday.
    Last edited by thieuster; 16th December 2020 at 22:18.