closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favourite Music Acts you have seen.

Just a few, of far too many to mention, that stand out

The Go-Betweens
    Crowded House
    Pixies
    Sufjan Stevens
    Talk Talk
    Puressence
    Neil Hannon
    The National
    Teardrop Explodes
    Leonard Cohen
    Doves
    Whipping Boy
    Jeff Buckley
    Depeche Mode (Vince Clarke era)
    Tindersticks

And the one that started it all for me, Showaddywaddy in 1976.

Cheers

Foggy

Quote Originally Posted by tintin View Post
    James..... pre and post break up, small and large venues...... awesome.......best back catalogue EVER!!!!!

One of my (French) clients is 50-something Madchester fan and he's already got his tickets for James/Happy Mondays for next December.

Master
    Simon and Garfunkel supported by the Everly Brothers at the Manchester Arena in 2004. Really good seats near the stage too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Dave Brubeck
    Yes then!!!

Gary Moore
    U WoT M8?

Blog Entries
    I’ve also been to many concerts

Not all inspired by Jeremy Clarkson

Highlights

Herbie Hancock at the Royal Albert Hall
    Arthur Lee doing the whole of Forever Changes
    Bellend Sebastián at festival no.6 - Coz they’re awesome
    Mozza- Brixton academy - Vauxhall and I (why isn’t that album more celebrated?)
    Eddie Harris and Les Mcann doing compared to what at Dingwalls
    Stevie Wonder doing songs in the key of life - not sure if I’ve ever felt as moved - some albums are just important in your lif

Edit - nearly forgot - Chic at blue note Tokyo- Nile Rodgers was epic!!!
    Last edited by Wolfie; 12th December 2020 at 11:17.

Craftsman
    Slade
    Brian Auger
    Van Morrison (when he can be bothered - excellent)
    Dire Straits
    Queen
    Rod Stewart
    Steely Dan
    Santana

But sometimes it's the unexpected that are the most memorable.

I used to help out at a small local venue (The Stables) where a lot or artists who just couldn't stop playing because they loved what they did would turn up.
    Richie Havens (the guy that opened Woodstock) a quiet night with an audience of less than 100 people. I had never heard of him before but the gig was amazing. Not just the music but the stories that went with them.
    Tom Paxton - a master of his craft.

Both of the above (and many others) were just one person and a guitar but the shows were very memorable.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Showaddywaddy 1974, Liverpool Empire. I was 7 and loved it !!!
    One of my earliest musical memories is my then teenaged sister giving me her cassette of Showaddywaddy when I was about six. I loved it so much I listened to it endlessly for ages. I could probably still sing along to Pretty Little Angle Eyes. I wonder if I can find them on Spotify....

Edit: They do and I can! It must have been at least twenty five years since I last listened to them (haven't had a cassette player since then) and I can sing along to most of them. Much to the embarrassment of my son.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Two utterly memomrable acts that stick in my mind and not mentioned here -

Gregory Porter with a full band singing all his hits from Liquid Spirit was utterly sensational.
    Secondly, Snoop Dogg - just for the sheer brilliance of seeing him smoke a massive joint on stage at like 11am while going through his hits (naturally in the Netherlands!)
    I would have loved to have seen both acts. I really like Gregory Porter although, generally, I don't like soul music but his voice is wonderful.

When I was a teenager I was into rap and hip-hop when Snoop Dog came on to the scene. His languid style of rapping stood out from the like of Public Enemy and NWA.
    Last edited by Wimm; 12th December 2020 at 11:47.

Master
    The first gig I ever went to was Skunk Anansie and that still ranks very highly. At virtually the opposite end of the musical spectrum, seeing Right Said Fred a couple of years later was also very memorable.

I was lucky enough to see Nina Simone around about 2000. Despite her disappearance from the stage at one point it was a magical evening.

Since then I haven't seen many large acts but a few really memorable gigs include:

The workshop tent at Bishopstock c2000 a group of, probably well known, blues musicians got together towards the end of the day and started jamming together. Making music right infront of our eyes. Magical.

Broken Brass Ensemble - a very energetic Dutch New Orleans style brass band playing in a packed bar in Exeter six years ago or so. No one stopped dancing for two hours.

Fingerprint - Aussie husband and wife duo (she plays drums and sings, he plays guitar and sings) which play soul,funk and blues. Had the pleasure of seeing them on a weekly basis for a few months. The best version of Men Mo's Every Morning that I have heard.

John the busking trumpeter who played a lot in Exeter when I lived down there twenty years ago. Always wore a long mac and had the most beaten up trumpet I've ever seen but he knew how to play it. I would always stop and listen to him for a while and chat when he took a break. He would play all the trad jazz classics.

Our local busking saxophonist two weeks ago started playing when I was in town. He kicked off with Take Five and had me hooked for half an hour. It was the first live music I'd heard since the pandemic started and I hadn't realised how much I had missed it.

In no particular order...

The Cult
    The Sisters of Mercy
    Faith no More
    Metallica
    The Levellers

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Morrissey at Kings Lynn Corn Exchange- superb

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    One of my (French) clients is 50-something Madchester fan and he's already got his tickets for James/Happy Mondays for next December.
    As have I (its sold out already), including sound check tickets too, plus my box set signed photo book and live CD / DVD arrived yesterday !!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by tintin; 12th December 2020 at 11:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Bellend Sebastián
    Autocorrect I guess - nearly spat my tea

Master
    Seen hundreds of bands over the years so have been lucky enough to see almost all of my favourites, barring dead ones obviously!
    Some of the highlights are, in no particular order;
    James at Capri Ballroom in December ‘86, the energy was mental and part of the stage seemed to be made of old back gates!
    The Smiths at the Festival of the 10th Summer. One day festival at G Mex with a superb, eclectic lineup.
    New Order at the Hacienda, first was 1983 but saw them play there loads of times.
    Stone Roses at the The International 2, saw them about 6-7 times elsewhere.
    Rolling Stones at Glastonbury, they pulled the stops out and the atmosphere was incedible.
    De La Soul at the Ritz and Damon Albarn came bounding on.
    Primal Scream, again at the Ritz and have seen them 6-7 times elsewhere.
    Dreadzone, always, always have the crowd bouncing.
    Chemical Brothers at the Academy in the early ‘90’s
    The Prodigy at the Academy, again when they were just starting out.
    All the usual Madchester bands thiugh i hated that term and still do!

Too many more to mention, what a lucky bugger!

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Autocorrect I guess - nearly spat my tea
    Brilliant name for a tribute act
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

The Wombles. 1970s.

Can't remember where.

The details are sketchy as I had to be in bed early.

But I do remember that the build up was electric. The support act was Basil Brush who knew the audience well and went through some classic phrases.

But there was no denying that the headline act was in full pomp and with the original line up. Rumours that Orinoco had overdone it on the rhubarb crumble the previous evening and was too ill to play proved unfounded as he majesterially bounded on stage to their hit smash Remember You're A Womble.

Madame Cholet added some sparkling harmonies, and despite his age, GU Bulgaria reminded this reviewer of top draw front men such as Jagger as he swung the microphone into the crowd during Wombling Free.

Cribbins came on for the encore - a slightly surprising Ace Of Spades cover which raised a few eyebrows and turned a few stomachs.

Nevertheless, recommended.

Got comped to loads of concerts when I was in the racket, quite a few memorable.

I really enjoyed The Who at the RAH in the second row, Gary Moore at the Hammersmith Odeon but these other two were equally memorable.

This because - well Floyd.

And Gilmour at the Festival hall in an intimate setting because Kate Bush came out and duetted with him.

Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    I saw the Beatles in Bradford in 1964. I say "saw" because you could hardly hear anything other than the bass and bass drum, due to the screaming of teenage girls! I actually asked for my money back on the way out and was told "You came to see the Beatles and you saw the Beatles- Bu**er off!" I think that the boys must have agreed with my sentiments as they eventually stopped touring due to the lack of musical appreciation! The best live act that I ever saw was Roy Orbison. His voice transfixed everyone and he had grown men crying! The most entertaining live act was Joe Brown. The man's talents were and still are amazing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJkQ1Ky-IPI

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    The most entertaining live act was Joe Brown. The man's talents were and still are amazing.
    He is brilliant isn’t he? Just makes it all look so effortless as well. A true entertainer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    The most entertaining live act was Joe Brown. The man's talents were and still are amazing.
    When I worked in a pub in Christchurch I used to serve beer to a man who claimed he was one of Joe Brown’s Bruvvers.

Does this count for anything?

No?

Thought not.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Seen a load of acts over the years, one of my fav’s was the Oxygen Festival 2006 in Eire, waiting for some act then noticed that James Brown was playing in one of the tents away from the main stage, me and a mate went over and got in early (still remember saying to my mate ‘come on when are you ever going to see James Brown live again’).

1 hour before he’s due to come on the place is packed and there’s ques outside, then his backing band comes on playing away building his entrance up, he then appeared on stage on a Lime Green suit and shimmeyed across the stage, the next hour or so flew over and the place was bouncing...

He died Xmas day that year but my word what an act...

Grand Master
    In no order...
    Pink Floyd 88
    Rammstein 2010
    Afro Celt Sound System 2016
    Queens Of The Stone Age 2017
    Real Sounds of Africa 1988
    Pogues 1988
    Michael Chapman 2007
    Agitation Free 2012
    James Taylor Quartet 1987
    Bhundu Boys 1986
    Young Fathers 2017
    Robert Plant 2017
    Black Sabbath 2016
    Plus many more.....years maybe wrong as memory fades,,,??

Blog Entries
    Blackbushe Aerodrome 1978. Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton 'and band', Joan Armatrading, Graham Parker and the Rumour. Was a good show and enjoyed it greatly.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, with Bob Dylan at Wembley Arena 1987. Always liked Tom Petty and Dylan was on form as well that night.

Madonna, Who's That Girl Tour, Wembley Stadium. ...I know.... But I was given some free tickets so went with some biker pals and our girlfriends. Madonna definitely wasn't 'our thing' and we went because it was free. Knocked out by the sheer energy and vibrance of her performance though, and we all ended up having a great time! Amazing she could dance and sing so much, must have been fitter than a butchers dog!

Saw UB40 at Wembley Stadium supporting Dylan, and they were knockout brilliant. One of the best bands I ever saw live, for the atmosphere and sound, they played every song brilliantly. Santana were on the same bill, they were good but a bit hazy, but that was just their style.

In the early days, Crazy Cavan were always good for a night out if you could avoid trouble with the Teds.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Favourite Music Acts you have seen.

Ok these are my top ten:

Led Zeppelin Earls Court 75
    Led Zeppelin at Knebworth x2 79
    Thin Lizzy Southend Kursaal 76
    Captain Beefheart 1980
    Black Sabbath - Southend Kursaal 75
    Kate Bush London Palladium 77
    Rory Gallagher - Hammersmith 87
    Dr Feelgood Queens Hotel 78
    The Wildhearts Southend Esplanade 93
    The Stranglers Battersea Park 78

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by wildheart; 13th December 2020 at 02:29.

Master
    First concert Genesis at Wembley Stadium 1987 - a bit young at the time, just a haze now.

More recently Rolling Stones with Florence & The Machine as support at the London Stadium 2018.
    Nile Rogers & Chic at the O2 Area (why have seats when they are playing ).
    Fleetwood Mac with The Pretenders as support at Wembley Stadium 2019 (missed out in 2015).

status quo
    micheal Jackson
    Springsteen 13 times
    stones twice
    neil Diamond. twice
    Don Maclean twice
    Sting
    Elton John
    Tom Jones twice
    Blondie 3 Times
    John Fogarty
    squeeze
    kim Wilde

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    Ok these are my top ten:

Led Zeppelin Earls Court 75
    Led Zeppelin at Knebworth x2 79
    Thin Lizzy Southend Kursaal 76
    Captain Beefheart 1980
    Black Sabbath - Southend Kursaal 75
    Rory Gallagher - Hammersmith 87
    Dr Feelgood Queens Hotel 78
    The Wildhearts Southend Esplanade 93
    The Stranglers Battersea Park 78

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Love the ticket display wall board. Got all mine in a shoe box LOL. Note to self .... :-)

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    Lucky bugger.....that would be an entry for the other thread.

Quote Originally Posted by mav112 View Post
    Springsteen 13 times
    So it’s fair to say you aren’t that fussed about him then?

I think there's a significant difference between your 'Favourite Music Acts you have seen' and the 'best live music act you have seen'.

I think the most amazing gig I went to was David Byrne's American Utopia tour from a couple of years ago - The way the musicians interacted on the stage, while choreographed very careful I assume, was just so natural and spontaneous looking, it was a great event, but definitely not your typical gig.

I always remember how captivating Siouxsie Sioux was when I saw her back in 1981 - I quite liked their stuff, but I didn't own any of their records, so definitely not a 'favourite', we only went because they were playing locally on the Sunday at the end of a holiday a couple of friends and I took and we thought it'd be a fun way to round out the week, but it's one gig that really sticks in my mind.

Another was 'Franz Ferdinand' at the tiny Bournemouth O2 venue - They were a big band at the time, but this is a very small venue, and they were brilliant - The encore was about as long as the main set! I've only seen them the once, but if I ever get the chance to see them at a small venue again, I will.

Other performers I've found unexpectedly good live were The Beat (Ranking Roger's latter day lineup - My daughter cites one of their gigs as her all time favourite), Kid Creole and the Coconuts (back in the day, I know they toured for decades, but at their height, they were a great night out), a recent gig by The Blockheads and Caro Emerald (her gigs remind me quite a lot of the Kid Creole ones I enjoyed).

Finally, a band I knew nothing about, Skinny Lister, proved to be one of the most enjoyable bands I've seen play live - If you get a chance to see them, do.

New Order are, probably, my favourite band, but I didn't get to see them live until after Peter Hook had departed. I saw them do a gig at Brixton Academy in aid of a roadie and really enjoyed it, but I think probably because I'd figured I'd never actually see them play live.

When they released their last album, Music Complete, they played Brixton again, but they were like a different band, so energised and enthusiastic compared to the first gig. As we left, I heard a number of people commenting that it was the best they'd ever seen them perform live, and I came very close to not actually going!

So, my favourite act, who I've seen live and a number of acts who were my favourite live performers.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 13th December 2020 at 12:55.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

The Prodigy

The Chemical Brothers

Amazing live performances.

Master

Favourite Music Acts you have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Bellend Sebastián
    Brilliant name for a tribute act
    Belle & Sebastian covers sung in the style of Liam Gallagher, maybe?

I’d buy tickets...
    Last edited by PhilT; 13th December 2020 at 15:30.

Royal Blood at the Concorde Brighton. Amazing performance and sound.

Been a long time since I went to gigs but here are a few (that I remember):

OMD x2
    Genesis x 3
    Paul Young
    Michael Jackson x 3
    Kylie x2
    David Bowie
    Kim Wilde
    James
    Dire Straits
    Fleetwood Mac
    Prince
    Peter Gabriel
    Chris deBurgh
    Julian Cope
    Black Sabbath
    Gerry Rafferty
    T’Pau
    Crowded House x 2
    Wet Wet Wet
    They Might be Giants
    Half Man Half Biscuit
    ELO
    Moody Blues
    Roy Wood
    UB40
    George Harrison
    Robert Plant
    Denny Laine
    Showaddywaddy
    Mud

I’m sure there are more (I’ve not included any opera for a start)

Stand outs for me were ELO, Genesis, MJ, Prince and Dire Straits

Cheers,

Mark C
    Last edited by markc; 13th December 2020 at 17:50.

I've been fortunate to have seen my share over the years and won't attempt to list them all. However, a few do stand out for various reasons.

Stevie Ray Vaughan at Reading in 83.

He wasn't really that well known in the UK at the time. I remember the gradual dropping of jaws in the audience as the set went on. Just a huge sound from a trio. I remember the sinking feeling on hearing the news of his death in the crash a few years later (I seem to remember initially it was reported that Clapton was onboard but was later clarified that it was SRV, but my memory may be suspect :)

Thin Lizzy

I was lucky to see them several times (I think Reading in 83 may have been their last Uk show ever) Still in love with you is IMHO one of the great songs (The live recording especially).

Johnny Winter

Again was lucky enough to see him several times. Special to me because of the memories attached as I was introduced to his music (and a lot of others) by my late brother who was with me at each of his shows too. Last saw JW at the Globe in Cardiff 2009 and it was around this time we discovered that my Brother had Multiple-Myeloma and was terminally ill. I also share the same birthday as Johnny (Feb 23).Johnny's early bass player Tommy Shannon later went on to play with Stevie Ray Vaughan.

U2

Saw them in St David's Hall in Cardiff, the War Tour early 80s.
    Their best period for me as they were still quite raw. Drifted away from their later output.
    Also memorable as sometime later I was wearing my War Tour T-shirt at the above mentioned Reading Festival when a gorgeous girl wearing the same shirt, who was a huge U2 fan, ran over, flashed her t*ts and did unspeakable things to me in her tent. Great times! Thanks Bono!

Dio

A couple of reasons for this. RJD was just incredible. Theatrical and dramatic at times but what a voice. Saw him around the time of the Holy Diver lp. Also, Heaven and Hell from his brief stint with Sabbath is one of my all time favourite albums. I remember like yesterday, although it was 40 years ago, buying it and taking it home and playing it non stop.

Clapton

Unplugged at RAH (92 I think). Drove up to London with some friends in my then new to me Saab turbo. He had Buddy Guy with him (and AFL who, sometime around the early 80s took a group, me included, from the local youth club that he lived around the corner from at the time, up to look around Rockfield studios. I still miss that Saab!

Alter Bridge

One of the few bands I'll go out of my way to see when the chance arises these days. Saw them most recently in Cardiff in Dec last year. Memorable as my youngest Son and Daughter came too to their 1st 'proper' concert. I'm also a big Mayfield Four fan (Myles's previous band).
    Last edited by jeff; 13th December 2020 at 20:53.