closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ebay purchaser with 0 feedback

Ebay purchaser with 0 feedback

Afternoon all, just wondering if I could have some advice...
    I've had a purchaser from Czech Republic buy my Autavia 100 Diver via ebay
    To be fair he paid straight away with Paypal but I've not sent anything to CZ before and that combined with his 0 feedback is making me nervous.
    I was going to use a FEDEX insured and tracked/signed for service but still, can he do a chargeback or are there any other work arounds to get his cash returned after the watch has arrived I should be aware of?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    It might all go swimmingly but I would be inclined to “run Forrest, run”
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

I’d always use the GSP to send anything abroad. It goes to the UK distribution centre where it’s checked and then sent on. Because it’s checked, your liability stops at the GSP depot.

I just wouldn't, not for something of any value.

When did the buyer join eBay?

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I just wouldn't, not for something of any value.

When did the buyer join eBay?
    28th November 2020...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I’d always use the GSP to send anything abroad. It goes to the UK distribution centre where it’s checked and then sent on. Because it’s checked, your liability stops at the GSP depot.
    Is GPS a courier?

It's un-PC to say this, we shouldn't be judging people... but sending that watch, to a complete unknown, in Eastern Europe? You've a right to be concerned.

I'd cancel the purchase and list for UK only.

^^^^^^^ this

Thought 1 fb point is not great, have they just joined eBay?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by roxylady View Post
    Is GPS a courier?
    No it’s Global Shipping Program. You post it to the Ebay depot in your country and as long as they receive it safely then the responsibility passes to Ebay for the next leg of the journey overseas. What I’m not sure if is if the Czech Republic is part of ebays GSP

Master
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn’t send it,best refund his money.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Id cancel and resist as UK only personally.

If they file a return and send back some battered POS (which has happened to forum members before) then you have no comeback unless you want to get on a plane as ebay will side with the buyer.

Risky biscuits.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    No it’s Global Shipping Program. You post it to the Ebay depot in your country and as long as they receive it safely then the responsibility passes to Ebay for the next leg of the journey overseas. What I’m not sure if is if the Czech Republic is part of ebays GSP
    I've long wondered how the GSP works when things go wrong - like the seller saying the watch isn't as described and returning a different (or fake) watch in the original's place. Their checks can't be that thorough or documented to ensure the exact thing that was sent out is what gets returned?

It's therefore got the same potential major abuse issues as just sorting the shipping yourself, other than perhaps the watch going walkabout in the hands of the couriers?

Thanks all, I think you've confirmed my feeling about it. I've refunded his payment.

Quote Originally Posted by Heuerfan View Post
    Thanks all, I think you've confirmed my feeling about it. I've refunded his payment.
    I sent a watch to oz using eBay global shipping,totally safe,I got a message saying he hadn’t received it 1 month after I posted it.
    He got payed out by eBay,has long as it gets to them in litchfield centre you’ve done your bit and the rest is upto eBay .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. Over the year's I've had one signed for in America who said he didn't sign for it but regardless my money was safe as it was gsp who take responsibility once it reaches them.
    I've just recently had one go missing in transit. Again in America but as it was through the gsp I kept my money and the buyer was refunded by eBay.
    It's about the only thing on eBay I have any faith in.
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by roxylady View Post
    Is GPS a courier?
    GSP is the Global Shipping Programme; you send the item to the GSP depot in Lichfield and eBay do the rest.

It’s the safest way to sell internationally through eBay. It costs the buyer more as it covers the import duty to their country too.

Master
    You need to quickly disconnect your PayPal account from your cards and connect it with your current account ( or if you have the facility associate with a virtual burn card number such as the revolute card that only works for a single transaction). Once it’s connected with the current account cancel the direct debit so that if PayPal try to reverse the payment it won’t be able to take the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Heuerfan View Post
    This is a difficult one. I totally understand your suspicion and I likewise wouldn't want to sell an item of this value to a newly joined buyer with 0 feedback. Every single one of us starts at 0 feedback of course, but it's an extra risk.

However you're now in a position where a buyer won an auction, paid promptly and you're reneging on the deal. You can choose what countries you do and don't want to ship to on eBay, and you can add a disclaimer about cancelling bids from buyers without a credible feedback history. But these things should be done before the auction, not after the fact when someone has won and paid!

Just my 2 cents, but maybe one to think about next time.

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    You need to quickly disconnect your PayPal account from your cards and connect it with your current account ( or if you have the facility associate with a virtual burn card number such as the revolute card that only works for a single transaction). Once it’s connected with the current account cancel the direct debit so that if PayPal try to reverse the payment it won’t be able to take the money.
    If PayPal decided to reverse the transaction, disconnecting your cards doesn't change the fact you own them the money. That's the terms you sign up to when using the service.

GSP always delivers.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    I sent a watch to oz using eBay global shipping,totally safe,I got a message saying he hadn’t received it 1 month after I posted it.
    He got payed out by eBay,has long as it gets to them in litchfield centre you’ve done your bit and the rest is upto eBay .
    Pre GPS, I sold something to someone in Australia. Didn't arrive so lots of ballaching aggro getting him refunded, claiming from Royal Mail, etc.. Some time later, he emails me to say it's arrived.

After that, I would never ever list on eBay for sale outside the UK.

Cancel the sale and refund, I have done this a few times in these type of sales, each time the buyer never questions the reason for me doing this, that in itself tells me something is not right. Just not worth the risk as the seller has little protection if the buyer makes a complaint.

[QUOTE=M1011;5612671]This is a difficult one. I totally understand your suspicion and I likewise wouldn't want to sell an item of this value to a newly joined buyer with 0 feedback. Every single one of us starts at 0 feedback of course, but it's an extra risk.

However you're now in a position where a buyer won an auction, paid promptly and you're reneging on the deal. You can choose what countries you do and don't want to ship to on eBay, and you can add a disclaimer about cancelling bids from buyers without a credible feedback history. But these things should be done before the auction, not after the fact when someone has won and paid!

Just my 2 cents, but maybe one to think about next time.[/QUOTE

Yes fair point and thanks for pointing that out, I should have created the lisiting with caveats included. I did send him a message to apologise citing 0 feedback as the reason so a lesson for me there... if I do list it again I'll make it UK only

Master
    You did right. Not worth risk.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    If PayPal decided to reverse the transaction, disconnecting your cards doesn't change the fact you own them the money. That's the terms you sign up to when using the service.
    Agree completely but you have the ability argue, put forward your case, explain the scam, rather than have money taken from your account.

A buyer sent me his phone number via an eBay question. I cancelled my listing for watch and sold it to someone on a forum. eBay tried to charge me commission but could not because I’d disconnected the card.

Master
    I buy a few things on eBay but nowadays I wouldn’t sell anything over £50, I sold a new pack of expensive Epson printer cartridges cost £45 and a chancer then claimed they didn’t work and knowing how eBay now works I just refunded his money and lost £35

Master
    100% agree with your decision, more importantly you can sleep tonight not worrying about anything, priceless!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    PayPal also have the reputation of using a very aggressive debt recovery firm when they are unable to get the money back directly. They also will stop you from using PayPal ever again, which can be quite inconvenient.

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    A buyer sent me his phone number via an eBay question. I cancelled my listing for watch and sold it to someone on a forum. eBay tried to charge me commission but could not because I’d disconnected the card.
    eBay have clamped down very heavily on any communication between sellers and buyers which includes any sort of contact details, as they do not want to lose out on their fees. Not only will they often freeze the eBay account in question, but they often also freeze the accounts of anybody associated with you (e.g. living at same address). The bans are permanent, and are said to almost impossible to get overturned. They also have systems in place to detect people trying to re-register under a different email/bank account.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    PayPal also have the reputation of using a very aggressive debt recovery firm when they are unable to get the money back directly. They also will stop you from using PayPal ever again, which can be quite inconvenient.

eBay have clamped down very heavily on any communication between sellers and buyers which includes any sort of contact details, as they do not want to lose out on their fees. Not only will they often freeze the eBay account in question, but they often also freeze the accounts of anybody associated with you (e.g. living at same address). The bans are permanent, and are said to almost impossible to get overturned. They also have systems in place to detect people trying to re-register under a different email/bank account.
    My dispute was long and drawn out but resolved after extensive communication with their legal team. I think the turning point was the data subject access request going back to start of the relationship, requests for details of algorithms used in case handling and transcripts of calls with contact centres in the various jurisdictions where they operate their call centres. That and logs of communications, commitments they made and didn’t honour.

Craftsman
    100% you did the right thing cancelling the sale.

I would like to bet that they did not respond to your courtesy email explaining why you cancelled the sale?

And secondly, I also recon eBay will send you an email in a couple of days advising you not to send any goods to this buyer as their account has been reported or noted as behaving suspiciously.

Grand Master
    you can set a minimum feedback requirement to avoid this i believe
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    Blog Entries
    And if you had bought the watch of him and he then cancelled what would you be saying?

You can set your selling parameters before you list you could have ticked no international etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    And if you had bought the watch of him and he then cancelled what would you be saying?

You can set your selling parameters before you list you could have ticked no international etc.
    People get very irate about that, but personally when it's happened to me, I just shrugged and moved on.

If someone does that, I figure I'm better off not dealing with them.

That said I've not got zero feedback and bought an expensive watch...

I think I'd have done the same in this situation, it smells fishy.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Unfair to cancel IMO. Feedback means very little on eBay now. I’d have maybe called him to chat. Seeing a watch I really wanted might be reason enough for me to join eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    Agreed. Over the year's I've had one signed for in America who said he didn't sign for it but regardless my money was safe as it was gsp who take responsibility once it reaches them.
    I've just recently had one go missing in transit. Again in America but as it was through the gsp I kept my money and the buyer was refunded by eBay.
    It's about the only thing on eBay I have any faith in.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app
    GSP is the Global Shipping Programme; you send the item to the GSP depot in Lichfield and eBay do the rest.

It’s the safest way to sell internationally through eBay. It costs the buyer more as it covers the import duty to their country too.
    Really surprised to read this, I stopped using GSP a year or so ago after reading several horror stories about it from sellers. If it is the case any refunds are covered by ebay then perhaps I'll reconsider and offer it again.

To the OP, I would cancel and appologise to the buyer. I have mine set up to not accept bids with people below 5 feedback(might be 10 can't remember) so worth looking into as well. Doesn't safeguard you but zero feedback buyers and sellers always sets alarm bells ringing for me, as unfair as that may be.
    Last edited by Tetlee; 12th December 2020 at 10:37.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    People get very irate about that, but personally when it's happened to me, I just shrugged and moved on.

If someone does that, I figure I'm better off not dealing with them.

That said I've not got zero feedback and bought an expensive watch...

I think I'd have done the same in this situation, it smells fishy.

M

someone buys a watch pays straight away and its fishy?

whats cancelling after following ebays rules called?

everyone starts from zero

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    GSP always delivers.

Hahaha. Lol. Nice one. Glad to see I'm not the only one that thought about him. Btw, I guess we'll see him one more time against Khabib...

someone buys a watch pays straight away and its fishy?

whats cancelling after following ebays rules called?

everyone starts from zero
    PayPal and eBay have a terrible reputation for siding with dodgy buyers, so no, paying via PayPal doesn't inspire much confidence for me.

Yes, everyone starts from zero and yes, someone just might join eBay to buy a watch they really want, but equally likely they might just setup a new account to buy a valuable watch and then scam the seller.

EBay is riddled with crooks and I'd err on the side of caution here.

I agree the seller should have been a bit more cautious on the listing, but every one learns as they go along or do you only grant that right to buyers?

In reality most people on eBay are honest, but not all.

A new member whose first purchase is an expensive watch? I'm suspicious.

I'm not sure how practical a phone call would be. eBay block messages with phone numbers, don't they?

M

Last edited by snowman; 12th December 2020 at 10:44.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomas_Meinhardt View Post
    Hahaha. Lol. Nice one. Glad to see I'm not the only one that thought about him. Btw, I guess we'll see him one more time against Khabib...
    We can all dream but I cannot see that happening unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Really surprised to read this, I stopped using GSP a year or so ago after reading several horror stories about it from sellers. If it is the case any refunds are covered by ebay then perhaps I'll reconsider and offer it again.

To the OP, I would cancel and appologise to the buyer. I have mine set up to not accept bids with people below 5 feedback(might be 10 can't remember) so worth looking into as well. Doesn't safeguard you but zero feedback buyers and sellers always sets alarm bells ringing for me, as unfair as that may be.
    I recently sold a motorcycle fuel tank to a guy in Australia.

A few days later I received a message from eBay that it was a prohibited item and wouldn’t be sent on to the buyer. They advised me that the buyer would be refunded but I would still keep the payment.

The tank wouldn’t be returned though.

I thought that was fair enough.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by fraz101 View Post
    We can all dream but I cannot see that happening unfortunately
    I think he'll be back for one more outside Lightweight. Weight catch or special 165lbs category without a title on the line. Let's see what happens...

Enviat des del meu Mi 9T Pro usant Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have bought a lot of non watch related items from various former Eastern block country's recently.

They have been nothing but civil,very friendly and have delivered as they promised,keeping me informed of progress and supplying postal details.

Yes I was a little cautious at first,mainly because of the postal route,but tarring everyone from the East as out to steal your watch is a bit much.

You can set your ebay sales to the regions you want and I see plenty that also say they wont sell to low feedback ebayers.

If the OP didn't do that then on what grounds shouldn't he send the watch he sold?

I have bought a lot of non watch related items from various former Eastern block country's recently.

They have been nothing but civil,very friendly and have delivered as they promised,keeping me informed of progress and supplying postal details.

Yes I was a little cautious at first,mainly because of the postal route,but tarring everyone from the East as out to steal your watch is a bit much.

You can set your ebay sales to the regions you want and I see plenty that also say they wont sell to low feedback ebayers.

If the OP didn't do that then on what grounds shouldn't he send the watch he sold?
    But that's absolutely not what has happened here.

This one buyer has appeared on eBay and immediately bought a high price item.

M

Selling on Ebay and any other platform is something very very different from Buying..

The world of Ebay and every other selling medium is a very different place than when i first started using these platforms over 20 years ago.

Scammers are very much more aware of the opportunities these places provide with buyers offered practically total protection when making a claim

Remember any buyer has 180 days to make a claim that the item is faulty or not as described even if it was listed 110% accurately Ebay will in most cases side with the buyer as it is your word against theirs and you as a seller will lose.

IMO selling a watch or any other valuable item to a buyer with zero feedback regardless where in the world is not an option and yes all individuals have to start from zero but that is a risk i would not consider an option.

I still sell on Ebay regularly as a private seller because it offers an audience like no other. i have sold high value watches but only on a face to face meeting with full id being provided on both sides and definitely no PayPal.

But even after over 20 years of trading you have to be more than careful in today's world and selling an expensive item overseas to a buyer with zero feedback is just not an option.

Buying in confidence is something Ebay offers but as a seller well that's another story.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM112 View Post
    Selling on Ebay and any other platform is something very very different from Buying..

The world of Ebay and every other selling medium is a very different place than when i first started using these platforms over 20 years ago.

Scammers are very much more aware of the opportunities these places provide with buyers offered practically total protection when making a claim

Remember any buyer has 180 days to make a claim that the item is faulty or not as described even if it was listed 110% accurately Ebay will in most cases side with the buyer as it is your word against theirs and you as a seller will lose.

Yes, you're right, but in the OP's case, scammers are surely just as likely to be in the UK as the Czech Republic, or any other country - so I'm not totally comfortable with the idea that its a good idea to halt the sale because the buyer lives abroad. OK, yes, I get that he has 0 feedback. But with e-bay and paypal invariably taking the buyer's side in any dispute/scam, then that says to me that e-bay probably isn't a good place to sell a high value item anyway, or maybe to sell there at all! I'd guess that Chrono24 is a better option? Opinions welcomed!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM112 View Post
    eBay only provide Buyer protection for 30 days. You are getting them confused with PayPal, an entirely different organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    Unfair to cancel IMO. Feedback means very little on eBay now. I’d have maybe called him to chat. Seeing a watch I really wanted might be reason enough for me to join eBay.
    Great advice when it's other people's money. Doubt you'd be doing that with your own. I wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    eBay only provide Buyer protection for 30 days. You are getting them confused with PayPal, an entirely different organisation.
    No confusion but as most private sellers only accept PayPal when sending goods to a buyer at home or abroad the buyer has 180 days to make a claim with PayPal which was the case with the OP ..yes PayPal and EBay are entirely separate organisations.also worth remembering Never accept PayPal if the item is being personally collected.. You have Zero protection from anyone..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Great advice when it's other people's money. Doubt you'd be doing that with your own. I wouldn't.
    I’ve done it several times but with high value bass guitars. A phone call or a zoom chat is a great way for both sides to feel comfortable and puts many doubts to bed.

Thanks for the arsey reply though

Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    I’ve done it several times but with high value bass guitars. A phone call or a zoom chat is a great way for both sides to feel comfortable and puts many doubts to bed.

Thanks for the arsey reply though
    Thought you'd be used to the arsey replies by now. You hand them out daily.