closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Selling a watch to a friend.

Craftsman

Selling a watch to a friend.

Guys , and ladies of course, I could do with a steer on a price of my Sea-Dweller that im letting go to a chap I know. I think we are agreed on the sale except the final price so please this isn't a thinly vailed ad for the watch.

I want to be fair to us both . He has been after this model for some time whilst I haven't bonded with it at all .

IM not asking for ideas on price but perhaps the best place to look and get a fair price that we are both happy with . Im thinking I ring WF and see what they would offer as a good starting point ?

Regards in advance. Simon

What Watchfinders will offer for the watch,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and what Watchfinders will sell the watch for...............Thats quite a big difference in price!

edit......I mean the price they offer to buy it for...then the price they sell it for......will be................ quite a bit more.
    Last edited by valleywatch; 10th December 2020 at 16:54.

Craftsman
    Have sold two or three watches to a pal and I let him have them for the same price I paid which was slightly below market value at the time, though I'd not had them more than a couple of years so the value still hadn't gone up with any significance.

Master

Selling a watch to a friend.

Ask couple pre-owned dealers what they are willing to pay and sell it for that.

Or do it as I did and sold my SD for a friend at cost and asked him to make a donation to charity.
    Last edited by EJL25; 10th December 2020 at 17:05.

No clue as to what model or what year, or what condition?

There is a 2007 SD for sale at a local dealer for £9,250 (full set, good condition)

He seems to be able to sell stock, so that might be a reasonable retail price?

£8,500 in a private sale, dependent on condition?

Could do the old Skyman and get the buy price from three well known grey dealers and go with the average? Or the highest if it feels like you're giving it away.

Master
    I sold a Seadweller to a mate. And worked out a price based on what I paid which was £4250, what it would cost him to get a similar watch in similar condition which was around £6k at the time I was selling

So he paid me £5k.... I made a small profit, he got a bit of a bargain. His watch is probably worth £7k+ now days, so he’s a happy camper.

Journeyman
    if you can find recent ebay sales for comparable watches (condition, papers etc.) from reputable sellers you could propose averaging them. you might not squeeze every dollar out of such an arrangement but it would be a clear number arrived at without dickering.

Craftsman
    Ok, thanks all.

I paid list which from memory was £9200 . A trawl of the internets implies they are trying to be sold for around £10k.

Again, thanks for the constructive replies.

Simon

Take it's 50th anniversary
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ptjoe View Post
    Ok, thanks all.

I paid list which from memory was £9200 . A trawl of the internets implies they are trying to be sold for around £10k.

Simon
    Sent from my SM-G970F using TZ-UK mobile app

Depends how good a friend they are. If I recently paid 9.2 and it was a good friend, I’d take a drink but I wouldn’t take £800 off a good friend when I’m only really selling to them at a price they could get near in other places.

Craftsman
    The price WF will offer you takes in to consideration a number of factors including a margin for them to sell it at a retail price.

Should you sell the watch to your friend for the price WF offer you, No. Should you sell it for the WF retail price, No.

The difference between the WF offer and their retail price could be several thousand, dependant on the specific watch. I would suggest a price somewhere in between.

Look at similar watches on Chrono24 and WF, in the same condition as yours and that will give you an idea of what yours is worth and what you could buy on the open market.

Master
    Only you can answer how generous you want to be.
    Options to use dealer sell in prices may leave you in a position that you can’t buy a watch that you want for the money you get back - if you are ok with that, then go ahead. Otherwise look at SC prices from the past, and eBay sold prices. If it is the SD43, I have had a couple and sold both here for 10k or just over

Depends on how much 'friends' you are. About 20 years ago I sold an Explorer 1 to my best friend who is not a watch guy for exactly what I paid for it plus dinner, he still wears it to this day.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 2ptjoe View Post
    Ok, thanks all.

Simon
    It's a private sale, so your best reference is the previous prices paid on SC.

WF offer price will probably be too low, although it is your gauge of how much you would get for an immediate hassle free sale.

WF sale prices are ridiculously high, althouth it's the gauge of an immediate, hassle free purchase for a buyer.

Chrono24 and eBay advertised prices are still probably over-inflated and you never know what the price a watch actually went for.
    Last edited by Christian; 12th December 2020 at 13:52.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by zen123 View Post
    Depends on how much 'friends' you are. About 20 years ago I sold an Explorer 1 to my best friend who is not a watch guy for exactly what I paid for it plus dinner, he still wears it to this day.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    This makes me smile.