closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A tale of two subs ...

A tale of two subs ...

When I was 40, around 11 years ago, my wife gave me my first 'proper' watch - a Rolex 16610 submariner.

I remember going to collect the watch from John Pass Jewellers in Crewe. We had the choice between the black and green bezel (I chose the black), but with a promise that if I returned the watch after a week or so I could have the green bezelled one instead. I never did. This watch has been my daily wear ever since.

That purchase started me on my journey collecting watches. I've been lucky to purchase some beautiful watches over the last 11 years but this submariner has always been the watch I come back to. I seldom wear any other watches and I think, honestly, it is the perfect watch for me.

Shortly after my purchase in June 2009, the 16610 was discontinued and the new 116610 came along with its larger wrist presence, wider lugs and ceramic bezel. For me, the changes didn't enhance the watch and I have never been tempted to purchase one.

However, the recently announced 126610 changed that. The slimmer lugs, beautiful dial, ceramic bezel and reports of an outstanding bracelet all tempted me. When I had the opportunity to view the 2020 Rolex collection last month I was impressed and asked my Rolex AD to put me down for the new submariner (no date). Imagine my surprise when I had a call last week to ask me if I would like to purchase the date version (no allocation had been received for the no date). On reflection, this was a great opportunity. I constantly forget the date!

Anyway, yesterday I was able to collect this beauty:

It was love at first sight. The watch is stunning in flesh and supremely comfortable on the wrist. It is elegant to my eyes and significantly larger in comparison to the 16610. Here are a couple of shots to illustrate the difference:

The bracelet is absolutely first class. It is one of the most comfortable watches I have ever worn. The slightly wider lugs (with a small taper), together with the superb glide lock system, just works beautifully on an aesthetic and practical level.

All in all, I have found my new daily wear. I'm going to keep my 16610 (I've learnt that selling a Rolex is nearly always a bad idea) and I will wear it occasionally too. The incremental or evolutionary design approach that Rolex adopt has really worked well here. The 126610 has all the hallmarks of a classic, with a return to the lines of the original subs albeit at a 'controversial' 41mm. On the wrist, it feels fine and significantly smaller than a modern Seadweller or Skydweller. A beautiful watch that will be worn and enjoyed every day for the next 50 years.

Good read - you're doing it the right way!

I think you're spot on to keep the older Sub as well. That watch has some meaning attached to it and a decade of history, you'd only end up regretting letting it go.

That’s a nice write up on a very nice watch. My journey started almost the same time as yours Jonathan, with a 16610, although I haven’t had the exotic stuff along the way (!)

If I was in the market for just one nice watch for most situations, the new Sub date would be it. Whether it is different enough to my own 16610 to add it I’m not sure, but it is lovely, and a great improvement on the fat lugged predecessor.

I’m sure you will enjoy it

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm yet to scratch the Submariner itch but threads like this push me ever closer to doing it! Both look great!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    asked my Rolex AD to put me down for the new submariner (no date). Imagine my surprise when I had a call last week to ask me if I would like to purchase the date version (no allocation had been received for the no date).

Is it just coincidence that the same thing ("listed" for 124060, offered 126610LN) seems to have happened to a number of posters? Seems really strange.

When I had the opportunity to view the 2020 Rolex collection last month I was impressed and asked my Rolex AD to put me down for the new submariner.

Did you have some purchase history with the AD? Again, may be coincidence but there seem to be more reports of steel subs coming through than other models.

I’m a big fan of the new 41mm Sub Date. It looks like the natural successor to the 16610 and is a great do it all every day watch.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Is it just coincidence that the same thing ("listed" for 124060, offered 126610LN) seems to have happened to a number of posters? Seems really strange.

Did you have some purchase history with the AD? Again, may be coincidence but there seem to be more reports of steel subs coming through than other models.
    I know that the AD had no no-date subs in their allocation. I'm really pleased I had the chance to change my mind.

I have bought quite a bit from them over the years, including new Rolex and Omega watches. Last year, for example, I bought both the 50th anniversary Speedmaster releases.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Master
    I know that the AD had no no-date subs in their allocation. I'm really pleased I had the chance to change my mind.
    Said to another poster it's odd to be offered a watch you didn't "list" for (albeit obviously similar model) when someone else presumably went on the list for the 126610LN!

Said to another poster it's odd to be offered a watch you didn't "list" for (albeit obviously similar model) when someone else presumably went on the list for the 126610LN!
    There isn't such a thing as a Rolex 'list' at most AD anymore.

Master
    There isn't such a thing as a Rolex 'list' at most AD anymore.

So I understand.

Craftsman
    Great read. It's a satisfying feeling knowing you've worn a watch that actually means something too you for that long.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Great read, thanks. I too started with a 16610 and it was basically a daily for 8ish years. Probably needs a service now and I have an itch to get it from the bank!

Master
    Blog Entries

Exclamation

. It is elegant to my eyes and significantly larger in comparison to the 16610.
    Interesting to read you think the latest iteration is significantly larger, in the photos they look much the same to me.

Is the bezel wider on the new watch? What is it that makes you say this .... or is it just a fact?

Congratulations they are a great watch the new 41mm, I got the option to buy either but settled for the ND.

I’ve had it on all week and reckon this could be the only watch you need, put my 16600 on this Morning but just changed back to the 124060 which sits on my boney wrist much better..

I was all set to hate it being a vintage man but it’s won me over..

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Snoodles; 10th December 2020 at 22:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Interesting to read you think the latest iteration is significantly larger, in the photos they look much the same to me.

Is the bezel wider on the new watch? What is it that makes you say this .... or is it just a fact?
    It is definitely bigger. The dial seems more expansive, plots and hands are bigger. I think the internal AR coating makes it seem brighter somehow? Lug width is wider but it is super comfy on the wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoodles View Post
    Congratulations they are a great watch the new 41mm, I got the option to buy either but settled for the ND.

I’ve had it on all week and reckon this could be the only watch you need, put my 16600 on this Morning but just changed back to the 124060 which sits on my boney wrist much better..

I was all set to hate it being a vintage man but it’s won me over..

Enjoy!
    Thanks, I agree entirely. I would be quite happy with this as a sole watch. Glad you are enjoying yours!

Master
    It’s not that odd really... I asked my AD for a white faced Daytona (5 years ago) I had a call for a black one a few months back
    I asked my AD if they could get me a date sub... and was called with the opportunity to buy the non date.

This is a great post OP - similar journey to me as I’m now contemplating the new Sub so this has definitely made me want to try on the new one at least!

S

Craftsman
    Congrats OP it’s a lovely watch and I completely agree with you sentiment regarding evolution. I’ve gone down the same route as you today although mine is of the green variety.

I got the no date 2 weeks ago and I reckon it will be my forever watch.
    Amazing build,comfort and I can't see any point in ever letting in go.
    I will still buy others but my list of keepers just got longer.
    Other keepers are navitimer and Monaco, icons all of them

Enjoy

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Nice story and a great pair you have. I’ve a 14060M and would like to add the modern version to my collection in the future.

Wonderful
    Looks great- definitely keep the original as well. Selling my first Rolex is my biggest watch regret (16710).

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    If I had a penny for every Rolex I sold.....

I’d be very poor indeed. Yep - keep hold of the “old” one!

Yep. Same thing happened to me last month (except mine was the other way round - On the list for a date sub but got the no date sub).

In my opinion the no date sub is the true classic so I’m pleased to have it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewood View Post
    Yep. Same thing happened to me last month (except mine was the other way round - On the list for a date sub but got the no date sub).

In my opinion the no date sub is the true classic so I’m pleased to have it.

Strangely there are 18 126610LN listed on eBay UK (minimum BIN £10,750) but only 8 124060 (minimum BIN £10,150). The list price difference is £850.

Master
    Great review, I bought a 14060M in 2011 and added a 16610 in 2017. Do I have a preference, yes its the Sub. However having a date is nice so the 16610 gets equal wrist time. The new 41mm range look lovely, but as a lowly peasant I can but just dream.

Steve

Craftsman
    Fair play.. I love the fact that the watch is worn daily, as it should be, and the OP liked it so much, he was able to get the bewer model... Rolex appreciation as it is meant to be.