closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Paolo Rossi RIP

Master
    Blog Entries

Paolo Rossi RIP

Aged 64 it’s no age. I remember his performance in what was one of the great World Cup final’s against Germany
    Last edited by hilly10; 10th December 2020 at 08:36.

He was my generation - I fear a lot will pass soon. RIP Paulo

The golden summer of '82, remember it well.

England played France on my 21st Birthday and Robbo scored after 15 secs. Had to wait until after the match to go to the pub.

Italy looked dead and buried in the group stage, but someone got through and suddenly rose like a Phoenix to go on and win it. Rossi was the star of the team and the World Cup, but everyone remembers that Brazil team, just like the Dutch in '74 a mystery how they didn't it.

Happy memories Paolo, RIP.

Really shocked and saddened by this news. His name brings back such vivid and happy memories.

Don’t know if anybody else did this when they were kids, but me and mates used to do running commentary when having a kick about in the park, with each kid picking their favourite player to pretend to be?

During the 1982 WC and for quite some time after, Rossi was the player I always wanted to be when having a kick about. RIP.

Master
    Sad and no age at all.RIP

Master
    My age, makes one feel somewhat mortal.
    I remember that final well.
    My son had a Rossi Roma shirt he used to go to football trading in a few years back that we bought on a trip to Rome,
    We could never get it off his back.
    RIP Paolo.

Very sad that is no age, who could for Marco Tardelli's celebration at the 82 World Cup. Rossi was superb at that Tournament. RIP

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martyndogs View Post
    My son had a Rossi Roma shirt he used to go to football trading in a few years back that we bought on a trip to Rome, We could never get it off his back.
    (Paolo Rossi never played for Roma. A Daniele De Rossi shirt?)

Grand Master
    Maradona ('86 Golden Ball winner), followed by Rossi ('82 Golden Ball winner), Mario Kempes needs to look after himself!

A bit older than me, but I had a friend who died at 40 (Cancer), so I feel you can never really take tomorrow for granted.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    The golden summer of '82, remember it well.

England played France on my 21st Birthday and Robbo scored after 15 secs. Had to wait until after the match to go to the pub.

Happy memories Paolo, RIP.
    Ha! That was my 15th birthday. No pub for me...

Spain 1982 was for me one of the last great World Cups. Northern Ireland beat the hosts, Norman Whiteside was a rising teenage star, France had Platini, Brazil had Zico and Sócrates, Schumacher did his infamous (and still shocking) flying kick, but in spite of all this Paolo Rossi stole the show.

RIP indeed

Master
    Very sad to hear. I remember him best from the '78 World Cup; for some reason my little brother (then aged 14) was a big fan of Paolo's that year.

Blog Entries
    I remember that final well.
    My son had a Rossi Roma shirt he used to go to football trading in a few years back that we bought on a trip to Rome,
    We could never get it off his back.
    RIP Paolo.
    Rossi never played for Roma, probably was a De Rossi shirt, one of most charismatic captain of Roma with Totti.

RIP Pablito, made history in 1982 with Italy-Brazil, then Italy-Argentina, then Poland and Germany in 1982.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Rossi never played for Roma, probably was a De Rossi shirt
    (Indeed. I suggested this in #8.)

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    RIP Pablito, made history in 1982 with Italy-Brazil, then Italy-Argentina, then Poland and Germany in 1982.
    (The Argentina game was before the Brazil one fwiw; he didn't score in it, hence the courage in picking him for the Brazil game after three games [Peru, Cameroon, Argentina] with no goals. And no doubt some proud East Germans would want to point out that it was West Germany. The English tend to do the same re 1966 of course.)
    Last edited by Tom-P; 11th December 2020 at 12:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    (Indeed. I suggested this in #8.)

And no doubt some proud East Germans would want to point out that it was West Germany.
    Especially as West Germany disgraced themselves against France in the semi, although I gather Patrick Battiston and Schumacher later made up.

Quote Originally Posted by dustybottoms View Post

During the 1982 WC and for quite some time after, Rossi was the player I always wanted to be when having a kick about. RIP.
    We'd have made a great partnership up front. I was always Alessandro Altobelli kicking about on Ealing Common. Still have my 1982 Italian team shirt.