closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yorkshire Energy - gone bust...

Yorkshire Energy - gone bust...

Hi all,

So it seems YE has joined the list of smaller providers going under in the last year... and by default I am being handed over to Scottish Power where I came from..

I just wondered who everyone is using these days ? I have not looked at the market in the last couple of years - so will need to do some research in case the tariff I get offered is pants...

Cheers

Matt

We use Good Energy. Service is excellent!

Green for me. I flipped from bulb a couple of months ago and so far so good.

https://green.energy/

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post

Snap, following a recommendation from Look After My Bills.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post

Me too. Switched a month ago and so far so good.

Avro for me, been there 6 months. Cheapest for me as a low user.

From Bulb, to People's Energy.

I moved from British Gas to Avro

Make sure you split your gas and leccy across 2 suppliers.

The cheapest gas plus cheapest leccy supplier easily beats the cheapest dual fuel supplier.

In with Zog Energy for gas and Symbio Energy for leccy.

I save a packet compared to a dual fuel supplier.

Master
    Blog Entries
    EF I think. I must look into whether I can get a better deal though. I boycott British Gas. I can’t remember why exactly but i do know that they pissed me off once & that I vowed never again to give them any more of my business. That much I do remember.

OctopusEnergy for me. They seem really good at customer service and they have some decent plans.

When extra energy went under my account went to Scottish Power. Worst experience ever. Never did recover the credit balance owed by extra energy, the regulator is a waste of time as well. Took me 8 months to get away from them in the end.

If you fancy OctopusEnergy you can save us both £50:

share.octopus.energy/wheat-cub-979

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Avro and so far so good but i always go for no exit fees and keep a eye on the market.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Blog Entries
    I was with YE too - seemed pretty good from my POV - but, never had to phone them

I am moving just after Xmas so no point messing about with switches at this stage…. Just hope I don’t get a nasty bill shock as I noticed be direct debit was quite low

I move whenever my deal is up, recently moved from Yorkshire to Igloo. I've never needed to contact customer service ever with any supplier, so never really care about that, just go with whoever is cheapest for me at the time

From bulb to octopus

Master
    In the same boat with YE. Luckily checking my YE account i am probably not much in credit. Once the account moves I will just switch. Had a quick look last night on MSE and So Energy looked ok. What's the deal with smart meters now? I've avoided them due to the incompatibilities. Are they now universal and worth considering?

EDF.

The moneysavingexpert deal finder slash tariff beater always finds a great price. When the deal ends I basically get EDF to match the best competitor. I wouldn't feel safe with one of the small companies, too much chance they go under.
    As for green tariffs...... My opinion of them is not suitable for this forum.
    Buying gas to burn from a "green" energy company.....
    What's next, green petrol companies?

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    In the same boat with YE. Luckily checking my YE account i am probably not much in credit. Once the account moves I will just switch. Had a quick look last night on MSE and So Energy looked ok. What's the deal with smart meters now? I've avoided them due to the incompatibilities. Are they now universal and worth considering?
    Fitting one benefits the company far more than it benefits you. Unless you were pre-pay or coin-op.
    The reason they are so desperate to fit them, is that there are fines for the company for not doing it.

Craftsman
    I'm the same, YE took a direct debit on the 2nd so I called the bank and asked them to pull it back. Didn't expect it to be possible but they did it no problem at all.

Can't see how a company that apparently ceased trading can take a direct debit over and above what they are owed lawfully.

Would rather not be in credit with a dying company, assurances or not.

Now to see what hassle Scottish Power can cause over the next few weeks.

Also affected, YE seemed very good while running, only supplier I have continued in to a second year with. Big problems with Scottish Power about 6 years ago, truly dreadful to deal with.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    The "exclusive for YE customers" Scottish Power tariff details if anyone is interested:

Electricity
    Standing charge £0.2388
    Unit rate £0.15484

Gas
    Standing charge £0.2333
    Unit rate £0.02674

More expensive than both the YE deal I was on and rates they currently offer. Not allowed to switch until I get my 'welcome pack' in 2 to 3 weeks. It's nothing in the grand scheme but I hate the sharp practice. Unfortunately for SP I'd wager most of these YE customers will be of the same mindset.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KNog View Post
    The "exclusive for YE customers" Scottish Power tariff details if anyone is interested:

Electricity
    Standing charge £0.2388
    Unit rate £0.15484

Gas
    Standing charge £0.2333
    Unit rate £0.02674

More expensive than both the YE deal I was on and rates they currently offer. Not allowed to switch until I get my 'welcome pack' in 2 to 3 weeks. It's nothing in the grand scheme but I hate the sharp practice. Unfortunately for SP I'd wager most of these YE customers will be of the same mindset.
    Same here.
    Just signed up to look after my bills & will switch as soon as the ‘welcome’ pack arrives.

z

Master
    I was with Tonik Energy and Scottish Power have just taken on their customers. Will look on uswitch again over the weekend to get a new deal

Quote Originally Posted by KNog View Post
    More expensive than both the YE deal I was on and rates they currently offer. Not allowed to switch until I get my 'welcome pack' in 2 to 3 weeks.
    Sounds about right, higher rates and locked in. Took months for my welcome pack to come through when ExtraEnergy went under. Got landed with a £2k bill based on estimated readings. Had no choice but to pay, ombudsman not interested. Had no bills from ExtraEnergy as they were all online, never downloaded one so had nothing to argue against.

I hope the YE collapse is handled better.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Avro Energy- just set your diary for end of tarrif, my bill sky rocketed through my own inaction :(

Thanks for the rates not seen that...

I will look to move once its done as I had left scottish power in the first place to goto ye...

Must cancel the ye direct debit - dont want anymore money getting taken 👍

Master
    YE only recently screwed me over, was on a cracking deal since March.
    Oct or Nov get email saying prices taking huge hike & I can move to another tariff to reduce the future bill.
    Now looking at small print have £30 early termination for both.
    Think I will suck it up & move anyway as SE are bound to hike the tariffs even though they say they will honour the latest tariffs.

Master
    I switched from EON to Octopus and have no regrets. Green sourced energy, U.K. contact centre, you provide your readings on a monthly basis for accurate billing and auto or self adjustment of the direct debit.

Phones answered quickly ( within 2 min), real people that follow-up on what they say they will do.

Uswitch supplier of the year

Journeyman
    Same here - eon to octopus was very easy and saved us £240 per year

Sent from my POT-LX1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I was with Octopus but my only goal with my energy is to save money so I moved to E-on. I liked Octopus but the downside was no smart meters and having to crawl under the stairs to get a reading every month became a drag.

Private Eye (issue 1536 4-17 Dec) reported Octopus as being stretched due to having to provide Londoner’s with power at no profit for two years. One to watch perhaps?

Master
    Scottish Power better not screw around then. They should not be allowed to take on customers this way if they don't deal with them efficiently! I've downloaded my last YE bill just in case. Having checked the tariff above the main difference for me is the standing charge so hopefully it won't be that much over. Annoying it is in the period of peak use over Xmas too. Probably the worse time for this in getting swiftly through it and off to a new supplier.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    Private Eye (issue 1536 4-17 Dec) reported Octopus as being stretched due to having to provide Londoner’s with power at no profit for two years. One to watch perhaps?
    Oh, thanks for that. Will monitor.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    I was with Octopus but my only goal with my energy is to save money so I moved to E-on. I liked Octopus but the downside was no smart meters and having to crawl under the stairs to get a reading every month became a drag.
    Good luck with that. It’s taken two years to sort out the mess Eon caused. I had readings more akin to the hadron collider with a spur to the millennium wheel than a small apartment. In the end I got an apology letter a cheque for £75 , followed two weeks later by a threat of a debt recovery if I didn’t pay the £700 they owed me.

Familiar story - when are people going to realise that a lot of these 'deals' are front loaded with a cheap price to get the numbers.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Completed requested details for Scottish Power last week and now this morning YE have taken £90 from our bank account! Cancelled DD now - lesson learnt

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Always cancel direct debits regardless of the company saying not to and that ‘they will do it for you’... always easier to pay monies owed than reclaim overpayment / balances.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    Completed requested details for Scottish Power last week and now this morning YE have taken £90 from our bank account! Cancelled DD now - lesson learnt

Give your bank a ring and claw it back?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post

When you set up a DD there is an annoying waste of time disclosure about the DD guarantee. It’s this disclosure that outlines your right to reverse incorrect DDs.

Contact your bank ASAP whilst the providers accounts may still be accessible.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    When you set up a DD there is an annoying waste of time disclosure about the DD guarantee. It’s this disclosure that outlines your right to reverse incorrect DDs.

Contact your bank ASAP whilst the providers accounts may still be accessible.
    Thanks - Rang bank who will now recover the money. I was surprised to be told that I should beware that the recipient of the money, i.e.: YE could set up another DD against my account as they retain my details! Doubt they would, but worth knowing.

Master
    Just about to send SP details & readings noticed YE have taken DD should this not be happening?

Master
    You would have thought not. But I guess there is the outstanding bill but I thought SP would sort that out. I've heard jack shit from SP so far which does no bode well for a swift exit.

Craftsman
    Octopus for me. Been brilliant. I ended up with Scottish Power when my last provider went bust 3 years ago. Real pain getting everything sorted out.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    You would have thought not. But I guess there is the outstanding bill but I thought SP would sort that out. I've heard jack shit from SP so far which does no bode well for a swift exit.

Check your junk spam folder ;)

Blog Entries
    Still nothing from Scottish Power ... I tried the online chat - which is offline - & telephone - which just gives a 'we're busy' message & hangs up.

Has anyone managed to contact them / progress the transition ?

I'm switching away ASAP - but all the time they dither is costing me more on their higher tariff.

Very shoddy.

z

Master
    Same. I spoke to them Xmas week and they said it was still processing. Complete joke and I am off as soon as. Also a joke they should be selected to take the customers from companies that go bust.

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Still nothing from Scottish Power ... I tried the online chat - which is offline - & telephone - which just gives a 'we're busy' message & hangs up.

I'm switching away ASAP - but all the time they dither is costing me more on their higher tariff.

Very shoddy.

z
    A very short version of my time with Scottish Robbers - they were so shockingly poor that not only did they pay me over a £1000 but I did not pay any energy bills for two years because the Ombudsman made them wipe them out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post

Very shoddy.

z
    Nothing after an initial communication for me either…. I will have a pop at calling them tomorrow - they have a specific line now

I’m moving house next Thursday…. I want to just get it all shut down

Master
    Finally had an email from the muppets to say my transfer is underway. Literally a month later. Useless tossers.