closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: External AR Coating

External AR Coating

I’ve found a couple of light scratches on the crystal of one of my watches. I presume it’s the AR coating as it’s applied on both sides of the crystal.

I figure it would be simpler just to buff off the rest of the coating: anyone have any tips on how to do it oneself, or is it a job for a watchmaker? I’ve seen advice elsewhere suggesting toothpaste, polywatch and cape cod, but none from credible sources!

Cheers

Jon

Craftsman
    What watch is it?

I read a lot of posts regarding this.
    Then started on a Sinn U1S about a month ago.

I removed the bezel then masked up the watch with masking tape.
    Then set about polishing.

Tried poly watch, glass cleaner, brasso, t cut, solvol autosol, tooth paste and a cape cod cloth.

Took 5 hours!

This feels like one of those times where you start to peel the sticker off and immediately regret starting it.

I removed the external coating on my 903 with a cape cod cloth, took about half an hour.

Master
    Took it off one of mine with brasso, bezel taped up first. Didn't take that long really👍

Quote Originally Posted by Metalic Mud View Post
    What watch is it?

I read a lot of posts regarding this.
    Then started on a Sinn U1S about a month ago.

I removed the bezel then masked up the watch with masking tape.
    Then set about polishing.

Tried poly watch, glass cleaner, brasso, t cut, solvol autosol, tooth paste and a cape cod cloth.

Took 5 hours!
    It’s a Damasko dc56. Looks like the same variation in answers. Maybe it’s a case of ‘something microabrasive’.

Master
    I removed the coating on an aftermarket Seiko crystal once. I tried Polywatch first which did nothing, then a Cape Cod and then Autosol metal polish but it wouldn't shift. In the end I used 1500 grit paper and it was off in about 15 minutes, so I guess it all comes down to how thick the coating is if a Cape Cod works on some crystals.

Grand Master
    I`ve done a couple using metal polish, took approx. 30 minutes each time with a lot of rubbing.

Persistent rubbing on the crystal with a cape cod cloth will do the trick as some gents have already mentioned.

I bought some cartier sunglasses with badlu scratched ar coating, I removed it with a cotton bud soaked in strong vinegar. I think I googled what was best and it worked well

Master
    Threads about polishing crystals always make me chuckle.

You can spend half an hour trying all sorts to remove AR coating or try for many hours to remove the lightest mark from hardlex... you’d think this stuff was bullet proof and yet you brush against a doorway by accident and scratch the little bugger without problem!

Craftsman

Cape cod cloth

I also used Cape cod cloth back in the days to remove the AR coating on a Breitling Crosswind (blue dial)...It was easily removed but I ended up having a new crystal installed by the AD as I thought the dial looked a bit dull without it...

Guillermo