closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ‘Survival’ knife advice

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    He joined the RAF cadets but feinted when he was on parade.... I think that ended his military career .
    Excellent Rod hahahaha

This is the "survival knife" I carry into mountain lion territory around San Diego: (it's not as big as it looks!)

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    This is the "survival knife" I carry into mountain lion territory around San Diego: (it's not as big as it looks!)

Have you kept yours?

Did it have the sharpening stone on the sheath?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Blog Entries
    http://www.gotavapen.se/gota/artikla...swed_knife.htm

towards the bottom 3 very different designs.

Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    This would be my starting filter at Heinnie (copy from the box below and paste in the URL bar of your browser):
    Code:
    https://heinnie.com/knives-tools/fixed-blade-knives/?filter[Brand][]=553&filter[Brand][]=559&filter[Brand][]=566&filter[Brand][]=570&filter[Brand][]=575&filter[Brand][]=83&filter[Brand][]=96&filter[Brand][]=67&filter[Brand][]=115&filter[Brand][]=142&filter[Brand][]=153&filter[Brand][]=162&filter[Brand][]=164&filter[Brand][]=245&filter[Brand][]=254&filter[Brand][]=323&filter[Brand][]=348&filter[Brand][]=432&filter[Brand][]=441&filter[Brand][]=483&filter[Price][is_price]=on&filter[Price][min]=3.00&filter[Price][max]=191.00&filter[BladeLength_CF][name]=Blade%20Length%20cm&filter[BladeLength_CF][dbname]=Blade%20Length&filter[BladeLength_CF][min]=9.00&filter[BladeLength_CF][max]=20.00&filter[BladeLength_CF][is_BladeLength]=on
    If you have questions or want comments on any particular model, shoot.

Edit: looks like I messed up the link trying to display it in the post, will try and fix tomorrow (ie later today).
    Partially fixed: https://tinyurl.com/y36enu75 -- basically, brands I deem worth looking at. I'd set the blade length to 9-20cm plus you can set your price range, too. HTH.

Craftsman
    Worked in Portland, OR twenty odd years ago, when a guy came into the brewery tap room, openend his coat and said: Hey you, yes you! You look like you need a survival knife.
    Apparently he worked for Gerber and how he got the brand new massive modern style John Rambo knife, i didnt dare asking.
    I bought myself a Gerber BMF, non serrated, huge survival knife with diamond sharpening piece and Silva compass, all packed into the cordura sheath.

Later that year, I attended the LRO show in the UK and everybody looked a bit strange when I walked with the knife on my belt.
    Ze German didnt know that the knife was way too long to be carried in public.
    By now the stricter knife rules have been implemented over here too, so its just gathering dust nowadays.
    I dont want to start a discussion about knife legislation (or buying from dubious sources ;-)
    This thread just reminded me of this "peculiar" incident" back in the days.
    I like the Mora knives for usefulness and practicality when camping, but of course there are nicer knives to "collect".
    Last edited by bmwrover; 9th December 2020 at 18:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Have you kept yours?

Did it have the sharpening stone on the sheath?
    No, but the ones issued back in the sixties didn't come close to THAT one!

No, but the ones issued back in the sixties didn't come close to THAT one!
    I can't remember seeing them in 'Nam but I had one (with the sharpening stone) in 1973 as a present.
    Unfortunately long lost...

The K-Bar is a great knife if you can find one. I understand modern ones are not as good quality as earlier examples.
    I have an original M3 somewhere. Along with my grandfathers Fairbairn Sykes, Unfortunately the latter is not in great condition as he used whilst at work after he left the RM. The M3 is pretty much mint though.
    They are not survival knifes unless you are surviving a zombie apocalypse or being overrun by Nazis in 1944.
    Something to hunt for over the Xmas period.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 9th December 2020 at 22:19.

Here's a Ka-bar from 1965:

That's a nice one Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    That's a nice one Tom.
    Just a pic off the Internet.

Can't believe no-one's mentioned Esee yet, go and have a look at the Esee knives website. Most 'survival' knives are high carbon steel like 1095, admittedly won't hold a edge for as long as stainless, but are won't chip or roll the edge and are tougher when it comes to abuse like being batonned though wood etc as seems to be en vogue.

Lamnia are much more reasonable than Heinnie, get him something like a Esee 4, or maybe a absolute tool like a Esee 5 (originally designed as a downed pilot's survival knife) or even a Esee 6. Get him a spyderco sharpmaker too and a leather strop so he can keep it sharp himself, plenty of how to videos on YouTube.

Just a pic off the Internet.
    This is a pocket or utility knife, not survival per se, but here’s my 1987 Camillus.

A lot of guys I knew in the air wing carried short Ka-Bars: https://www.kabar.com/products/product.jsp?item=1250

Quote Originally Posted by williemays View Post
    This is a pocket or utility knife, not survival per se, but here’s my 1987 Camillus.

A lot of guys I knew in the air wing carried short Ka-Bars: https://www.kabar.com/products/product.jsp?item=1250
    ...and mine: