closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ‘Survival’ knife advice

‘Survival’ knife advice

My surprisingly old son has suggested a ‘survival’ knife as a stocking filler in his Xmas list.

I have no idea about such things, but have an inkling that there will be those on here who do - so can anyone make any recommendations?

He sent me a link to a website about manliness which suggested some things to look for - full tang, single edge blade, pointy end etc.

Yours hopefully,
    Martyn.

Why does he want one?

The way this year has gone, the zombie apocalypse can’t be far away now.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Why does he want one?
    Duhhhhhh......because Zombies...?
    *Jason beat me to it..*

A decent place to start

https://heinnie.com/

Master
    How old is he? A survival knife? If he was into bushcraft or as a gift for qualifying for Special forces but maybe not for day to day use. Prices are amazing for some of those on that site.

If you’re not sure what you’re looking for or maybe just don’t want to spend a lot on the wrong thing,maybe look at knives from Mora (morakniv) with plastic handles- for £15 or less they are fine Swedish knives
    Similar from EKA also very good, maybe £30-40.

How old is your son and what is he hoping to use it for? If he is old enough and the use is a responsible one, I’d have a look at the Mora range on the Heinnie link posted above. For less than a fish and chip supper for two, your son’s stocking will be filled with a useful tool.

I'd second the Mora recommendation. I've had one of these for a couple of years using it primarily for wood processing and it's survived all the abuse I could throw at it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mora-Outdoo.../dp/B004ZAIXSC

As suggested by the questions above there are too many unknowns to offer up sensible advice. If I could justify having a large fixed blade knife then it might well be the Fallkniven F1. But it may be that your son has in his mind's eye something along the lines of a multitool with a flint, saw back etc. The variations are great. See Survival/Military Knives for a range of options and prices.

And don’t forget this link.
    Last edited by PickleB; 6th December 2020 at 12:36.

I bought one of these Buckmasters from a US Navy PX store back in the late '80s

My nephew always admired it, and had a few good knives too.

Gave him it last year - no point in waiting until he inherits it.

BUT - they are completely unusable in UK. A lighter knife and a wire saw will be better, and less likely to land you in serious grief.

Over-priced knives often pop up on SC, just keep your eyes peeled. [P.S. Place in Christmas stocking blade down.]

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Why does he want one?

To survive.

Master
    Blog Entries
    we need at least age,budget and intent.

Meanwhile as has been said Mora have a big range

this one is very popular.

https://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/...ss-29462-p.asp

or these maybe

https://fallkniven.se/en/kniv-katego...rvival-knives/

‘Survival’ knife advice

If he recently watched the full Rambo saga the buck is good enough.
    If he wants the real thing, look for Gil Hibben, but your wallet will hate you.
    If he just wants to do ‘manly stuff’ in the woods, or if your definition of stocking filler includes a low budget cap, as said above Mora knives are genuinely excellent, but they are not full tang. The Fallkniven F1 is superb, was issued to Swedish Air Force as a survival knife but >10 times the Mora’s budget. If he knew more about it he would have been more specific (grind).
    The old US Marines knives (Camillus, Ka-Bar) are decent if you remember they were chosen on price.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I have no idea how old your son is but I would be wary about buying a "survival" knife for him unless it was for a specific purpose.

My middle son was in the ACF and they wouldn't let them have personal knives.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Survival knife

Some very good comments and advice here on this subject.
    Like everything in life, it’s better to match the tool to the application, so would be worth taking the time to understand why he feels he requires a survival knife and just how and where he thinks he will use it.
    Saying that, the previously mentioned Fjallkniven F1 is a superb all round knife, but it is illegal to carry a knife around like this generally.
    TZ member Xellos has one for sale on SC right now.

Andy

Master
    Blog Entries
    Mora is a good start.

It is NOT illegal to carry, provided you have good reason.
    He will need to look into what constitutes good reason, as this is not the topic.

Gerber Strongarm is an excellent all rounder. Good for bushcraft, food prep and comes with flexible sheath capable of many attachments.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    It is NOT illegal to carry, provided you have good reason.
    He will need to look into what constitutes good reason, as this is not the topic.

I am going to say a teenager carrying that Rambo knife pictured above is going to find it hard to demonstrate they have a good reason for it - even less so if they are carrying it in an urban area.

I think it's something kids go through. My grandson went through this stage, wanting survival kits and knives.
    He joined the RAF cadets but feinted when he was on parade.... I think that ended his military career 😂.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I think it's something kids go through.
    And will go through kids too.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    I am going to say a teenager carrying that Rambo knife pictured above is going to find it hard to demonstrate they have a good reason for it - even less so if they are carrying it in an urban area.
    The comment I was replying to was about a F1 (not even the F1 Pro on SC) but is valid for all knives with a fixed or locking blade.

Of course if the carrier fails to convince the officer when stopped, he may need to convince the desk sergeant, or the tribunal. I would say his chances are better with a F1...

Thanks everyone - some really useful tips, advice and links. I'm very grateful.

I should have offered more info/reassurance, since I share the concerns others have voiced, and I'm well aware that we have a growing problem of blade related violence in the UK in recent years.

He's 25, he's a doctor, he's pretty sensible, and it'll never be 'carried' in a public place.

I think I have a bit of reading to do!

Thanks again,
    Martyn.

Personally I think most of the time he carries a knife, the two of you should be out together.

Son. Knife. Dad. Survival situation
    I can't think of anything more fun.

Son. Knife. On own. - not so great.

I was shooting with my son yesterday. My lovely new Michael Morris knife (courtesy of this forum) came into action, with my son, to dispatch something; and my boy is learning about the countryside and quarry.

He will not be taking one to school.

And yes, https://heinnie.com is all you could ever need

OK just read your post Martyn.
    Cringe he's 25 and a doctor!

Well from a surgeon to another doctor.......

https://heinnie.com

Fill your boots, and recommend to him the noble art of surgery!

Master
    This is the sort of thread that convinces me I need a <insert topic> and off I go to research them and cost myself a small fortune.

Had this for 20 years and used it more times than I can remember. Skinned literally 100s of rabbits and it takes a great edge. If you can find one the CR Shadow III is a great 'survival ' knife.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

I bought an American made Cold Steel Tanto, a couple of decades ago - not sure if it qualifies as a "Survival knife", but they used to advertise it as being able to punch through car doors and slice un-supported 40mm diameter rope.

Frighteningly-sharp but a tough build, with no obvious weaknesses (like fine tip etc)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    This is the sort of thread that convinces me I need a <insert topic> and off I go to research them and cost myself a small fortune.
    Welcome to my/our world.

Has he suggested what he needs to survive ?

Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    Has he suggested what he needs to survive ?
    2021?

As a spotty oik in the mid-80s (and an air cadet!) I used to read some the survivalist magazine - full of reviews and skills vital for the CV34 postcode. I think I remember both the last two knives being written about, reviews! I think the reviewer used the Cold Steel to make protective sandals from old tyres!

The detritus and useless stuff cluttering up my brain, I don't know.

I can't think of any circumstance I could find myself (or have found myself) in that a Swiss Army Forester or Hunter would not be suitable.
    They are easier and lighter to carry than a large knife and the extra tools are very useful. The most important thing is to have a sharp stout / strong blade.
    I have used mine to construct hides, skin animals etc. and every PH I know is always trying to beg steal or borrow mine from me.
    If a fixed blade is preferred a Mora as mentioned would be my choice. - Cheap but almost indestructible.

Master
    If he wants a 'survival tool' then take a look at some of the survival shovels on ebay / amazon / etc.
    Might not be quite what he's after but far less likely to get him arrested. Possibly.

I also have a tactical spork, god knows why, it just sounded cool and cost very little from Ali express so why not.

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    If he wants a 'survival tool' then take a look at some of the survival shovels on ebay / amazon / etc.
    Might not be quite what he's after but far less likely to get him arrested. Possibly.

I also have a tactical spork, god knows why, it just sounded cool and cost very little from Ali express so why not.
    Looks ace, i just love 'tactical stick'

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Looks ace, i just love 'tactical stick'

Excuse me - I know you are mugging me but do you mind giving me a minute to screw my tactical stick together?

What's wrong with a Swiss Army knife. Far more practical.

For this application I stand by my Mora suggestion
    I note however that Axminster tools are doing a Festool branded Swiss Army knife that looks suspiciously victorinox for £20 or so....might be of use to someone
    I doubt Festool will put their name to anything below par.
    https://www.axminstertools.com/festo...enknife-950439
    Last edited by GOAT; 7th December 2020 at 15:56.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    I note however that Axminster tools are doing a Festool branded Swiss Army knife that looks suspiciously victorinox for £20 or so....might be of use to someone
    It is indeed a Victorinox. Out of stock, though...

Alot depends on budget and what specs you want, these are some of these ones i have owned or still own.

On the basis the best knife / tool is the one you have on you, what about a UK legal carry folder? Spyderco are my favourite, but there are plenty of options out there.

https://heinnie.com/spyderco-heinnie...k-penknife-g10 (but I’ve been waiting all year for this)

https://heinnie.com/spyderco-urban-lightweight (Looks like this is out of stock at Heinnie too...probably available elsewhere)

Mora, orange handle, job jobbed.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaffe View Post
    What's wrong with a Swiss Army knife. Far more practical.
    I would prefer to use a fixed blade for gutting animals but we don't know exactly what the OP's son envisages using it for

A Swiss Army knife is indeed a useful tool but a true survival knife shouldn't have a pivot and a non locking one is even more of a liability.
    Cheap suggestions are great knives but just as a Casio does what a Rolex does in a cheaper format sometimes its nice to spend more to have something a bit special for keeping and using.

Mora are good but...

I actually carry a Swiss army soldier knife.
    Does everything I need for camping duties... but I do also carry a Gerber folding saw for bigger stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    https://www.axminstertools.com/festo...enknife-950439
    It states Victorinox on the blade stamp - it's not uncommon for Vic to do runs with special covers (but their non-specials are usually cheaper than the special branded ones).

Master
    Swiss Army Knife for me. Been all over the planet with me for 25 years . Holds its edge keener and longer than leatherman.

Anything beyond that and usually its still the swiss army knife but I’ve normally also got a kukri or locally forged machete for heavy duty chopping .

Thats pretty much all you would ever need in my experience.

This would be my starting filter at Heinnie (copy from the box below and paste in the URL bar of your browser):
    Code:
    https://heinnie.com/knives-tools/fixed-blade-knives/?filter[Brand][]=553&filter[Brand][]=559&filter[Brand][]=566&filter[Brand][]=570&filter[Brand][]=575&filter[Brand][]=83&filter[Brand][]=96&filter[Brand][]=67&filter[Brand][]=115&filter[Brand][]=142&filter[Brand][]=153&filter[Brand][]=162&filter[Brand][]=164&filter[Brand][]=245&filter[Brand][]=254&filter[Brand][]=323&filter[Brand][]=348&filter[Brand][]=432&filter[Brand][]=441&filter[Brand][]=483&filter[Price][is_price]=on&filter[Price][min]=3.00&filter[Price][max]=191.00&filter[BladeLength_CF][name]=Blade%20Length%20cm&filter[BladeLength_CF][dbname]=Blade%20Length&filter[BladeLength_CF][min]=9.00&filter[BladeLength_CF][max]=20.00&filter[BladeLength_CF][is_BladeLength]=on
    If you have questions or want comments on any particular model, shoot.

Edit: looks like I messed up the link trying to display it in the post, will try and fix tomorrow (ie later today).
    Last edited by rodia77; 9th December 2020 at 05:04.