closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Have Rolex cured you of the need to ever own a Rolex?

Introduction of the super case a few years ago cured me of the ‘modern’ professionals.
    No one can be cured from the lure of the the 4 and 5 digit models can they?!

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Post #28 here

Poe's Law and all that, but...
    That story actually makes me cringe so much. It's like he has no shame. I wouldn't do that for a free watch... let alone the right to buy one!

Happy to stick my name on a waitlist for an in-demand model though. Is what it is, either they call or they don't, no skin off my nose!

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Surely that's like selling your iPhone 11 to buy a 12 just because it's the latest model. That to me is bonkers, but it takes all sorts I suppose.
    As someone who moved from the 11 to the 12, can I just point out that there's some significant functionality updates!

Craftsman
    Called into my local AD a couple of years ago and got a Hulk within a couple of months. My first Rolex and whilst it was a nice watch, I preferred the Omega PO I had before it. When I compare many of the alternatives to what Rolex offers, the other brands are often more appealing to me aesthetically. Each to their own - I appreciate them for the quality watches that they are.

Master
    It took me five years to get my first Rolex, a GMT II. Well, that's not quite true. I'd admired Rolex since I was in my 20s, when I passed on a SD1665 to buy a quartz Heuer 2000 chronograph for the same price. Fellow officers in the Royal Navy who were qualified divers had Submariners; when I became a diver officer I used my Seiko but was eventually issued with a (no date) CWC Quartz Diver in 1985; I never really wore it much because I needed the date several times a day for Navigation duties - checking almanacs and tide tables where the data was date dependent, for example.

I finally upgraded my Heuer to a Revue Thommen in my 30s, then that and a few other watches, including a Seiko diver were rolled into a succession of Fortis chronographs ten years later. Having finally settled with The One Chronograph, my Fortis B-42 Lemania 5100, I was inclined to add a diver, and, thirty years on, following a string of cheaper models - MWC and Seiko - it had to be the one I'd missed out on years before. My watchmaker sold new and used Fortis, Meistersingers and, if you asked nicely, would bring out a box of used or NOS Rolex.

In 2010, I really wanted to buy a 16600, because it was more useful than a no date Sub and less visually obvious than the Sub Date with the cyclops. I thought carefully about the very nice, near mint 16600 he had for the equivalent of around £3000, then decided to go ahead and went in to buy it, only to disover that it had been sold earlier that day. A NOS SD16600 at £4200 was just too expensive, and I didn't really so much want the NOS GMT II he also had for around £3800. Then I gave up the world of banking and went of to work for sweat equity in start ups; Rolex was out of the question.

Since then, the price of GMTs has risen a fair bit, but in 2015 the same NOS GMT II was still in the box for the same price as in 2010. A few sales, a discussion with my wife, and a timely (paid) consulting contract and I was able to secure it. I've worn it a lot since, and two or three years with a fair bit of international travel made it the perfect watch for the job. Well, not quite perfect...it runs at +6 Spd, the lume is weak and it's become so valuable I hesitate to wear it when doing the sort of sports (sailing for example) that the Rolex sports tag would suggest. I'm taking a yacht across 500 miles of ocean and the Bass Strait to Hobart this weekend, for example. Should I wear the Rolex? Perhaps. But I plan to take a sextant as backup to the boat's GPS and to practice astro-navigation, and my Omega SMP 2264 Quartz is better lumed, more accurate, and less valuable. It's hard to justify risking the Rolex.

Five years on, the benefits and disadvantages of the Rolex have become more apparent. It's a remarkable low profile watch - nobody, except my mother-in-law, has ever commented on it. But an Omega is generally better value for money, as long as you don't plan to sell, when Rolex residuals make them a better proposition. Also others have said, you can buy new, if you can get one, then sell for more money and buy another new one for less. It's like a friend who reckoned, in the Loadsamoney days of the late 1980s, that his Porsche 911s were the cheapest cars he'd ever run - kept for a year or less, they invariably made more money than he paid for them and allowed him to upgrade to the latest model for very little cost - and the dealer loved him for his regular business.

Right now, if I could get my hands on a 214060 Submariner at RRP, I'd be very tempted. With ageing eyes, I need glasses to read the date in any case and I have the date on my computer / phone, so the lack of a date matters less and the lack of a cyclops matters more. The watch is more accurate and the lume is very much better than on the older 5-digit models, and the current lack of international travel means I'm less likely to need the GMT function any time soon.

As a financial investment, it's hard to argue against Rolex, but you need to be a pretty unusual WIS to buy and use it the way to was originally intended. But, sadly, Rolex prices and the the new breed of owners rather than users have taken the brand away from the utilitarian, functional, sports / professional market it once dominated.

The whole waiting list and AD ego polishing business to buy a new watch at present is nonsense. However, owning and wearing any 5 digit sports model is a pleasure. I'm very irritated that I can't get to try out any of the current range as I'm not willing to play the game, but it doesn't stop me enjoying what I've already got.

Quote Originally Posted by snedboy View Post
    They certainly have for me. I’ve been away from watches for a few years and the things I’m reading on this forum seem outrageous to me. And yet so many are prepared to jump through hoops in order to own one
    Absolutely, although I'm not sure I've ever felt the need

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    They have for me. I have other brands in my collection but the same story for me as others have experienced. Got to buy watches you don't want to get the one you do.

So i've taken the decision to give up completely on them. And I won't jump through hoops for a 5167A either. Potentially getting an Omega Speedmaster next instead

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by darko View Post
    Introduction of the super case a few years ago cured me of the ‘modern’ professionals.
    No one can be cured from the lure of the the 4 and 5 digit models can they?!
    I’ll visit Hatton Garden to compare the 126610LV with the 16610LV in an attempt to forgo a Cermit

I am very happy that my maximum purchase threshold is now very substantially below the cost for any Rolex that I may want to own.
    I did buy a used one, felt thoroughly underwhelmed by it, and sold it.
    It's not that it wasn't a great watch (16570), it was, but it was in no way a £4k watch. So it is funny that they are now a £5k+ watch.
    I can perfectly happily ignore them and concentrate on other watches that fulfill my attractiveness criteria, and are affordable.
    It is not Rolex that have "cured" me of any desire to own one, but the "market".
    D

Quote Originally Posted by EmilA View Post
    They have for me. I have other brands in my collection but the same story for me as others have experienced. Got to buy watches you don't want to get the one you do.

So i've taken the decision to give up completely on them. And I won't jump through hoops for a 5167A either. Potentially getting an Omega Speedmaster next instead
    Didn’t you just post this in one of the other Rolex threads?🤔

‘Fair enough. I was hoping to get something for the youngest addition to the family. AD knew but couldn't source anything that I wanted in time’

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Didn’t you just post this in one of the other Rolex threads?樂

‘Fair enough. I was hoping to get something for the youngest addition to the family. AD knew but couldn't source anything that I wanted in time’
    Ah I did indeed, but that "event" was the final nail in the coffin for me. This happened a few weeks ago now, but it has resulted in completely given up on the AD network

Don't have to jump through AD's hoops, plenty of used older models around.

Better looking too.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Master
    Absolutely. It seems that to buy a Rolex nowadays you either have to pay 2 or 3 times the RRP or give up your dignity and practically fellate an AD.

No thanks - I've no interest in their silly games and I'm sick of Rolex staff's condescending attitude when you express an interest in a popular watch.

I've sold all mine and now focus elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ddm27 View Post
    ...or give up your dignity and practically fellate an AD.
    In my case that would be the AD giving up their dignity. The AD I use is much better looking so probably lets me buy watches to avoid me making those kinds of offers!

no it didn't. Took me a few year to get my first rolex. A sub "swiss only" 16610 bought here on the forum. Very happy with it but hardly wear it. But after a while the search for a second one started. The second one is a white explorer 2 16570, also swiss only, stlll not satistied. in the meantime a datajust 16234 arrived also bought here and a celini 18 for the misses and a vintage date diamonds set on the lugs. After the fourth i finally realised that rolex doesn't give me more pleasure of wearing than my smiths Everest but that one also looks a lot like the 1016. So the still of the older rolex watches does attract me but the modern once don't make me greedy.
    Will the rolex stay? Sure they will but don't think i'll buy another one.

Reading all of this thread and other similar Rolex discussions, it seems to me that a lot of the anti-Rolex sentiment, is really anti-AD driven.

Maybe I’m lucky in that my AD is also my family jeweller. As such, I’ve always had a friendly welcome, whatever I’m buying. I can’t ever remember any a£se licking going on. Although, to be completely fair, I think I was quite inebriated when I bought my first watch from them, so perhaps it passed me by in an alcohol induced haze?

Until a few years ago, I simply didn’t have the financial wherewithal to even consider the big R. Times move on though, so I asked to look at a few. A couple of OPs and YMs from the window and some ‘hard to get’ pieces from the safe. Now, silly old me decided on a Milgauss (I’m a tart and fell for the green glass, along with the history that felt vaguely related to my career) and walked out with it on my wrist. I say ‘silly’ but the fact is I love the watch and bought it to wear. I could have had a sub and maybe, if I’d been better versed in all this investment nonsense, I would have chosen that instead. Doubt it though, for the above stated reasons.

At no point have I bought anything I didn’t want or need from said AD. I get treat well in a friendly, respectful manner. I occasionally pop in for a chat (pre-covid) and I would consider a couple of the SA’s to be loose friends. Not in the close, I must buy a hamper full of treats/bunch of flowers sort of way though. I don’t think any self-flagellation has been on the menu either (see above inebriation comment for my get out of jail card).

To flip the experiences above on their head, I have indeed been treat like poo on the bottom of a shoe, in some of the big chain ADs. I’ve become invisible in others and even refused entry into one. Maybe they can sense that I’d never buy a Rolex from them anyway. Might have managed to treat myself to a Tudor though. Clearly not good enough for them.

So, my answer is ‘no’, not at all. There are several Rolex watches that I would really like to add to the Milgauss. I’ve actually got my name down for one that I expect to get in time for a special occasion next year. Yes, I’m on a list! One that will deliver, from my local family jeweller, who I’ve supported for years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by inspector gadget View Post
    Wow another snide thread.... I sold my Rolex when I found out that they were sourcing parts from China, never get lured into that rabbit hole again.
    Really? What parts? Genuinely interested.

I find all the nonsense around buying a new sports Rolex distasteful and frankly I'd rather wear my blue MM300 to my Explorer 2. Sure, the Rolex is nice enough but the Seiko is more comfortable to wear, is considerably better-looking, glows brighter and for longer at night and is more accurate.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Most of the madness of course relates solely to brand new watches. Although prices have climbed steeply over the past few years, the 5 digit references are far more accessible and in a lot of people's eyes far more attractive watches. I would have included the 4 digit references in that as well, but they have really become an area were the buyer needs to do a lot of ground work before contemplating a purchase.

These watches are freely available at numerous dealers all over the country and the art is finding a nice example at a reasonable price rather than the fun and games that people go through to get their hands on the latest offering.

I enjoy seeing the latest releases, but rarely think about buying one as they are just not available to me unless I was willing to pay a premium from a grey.

I do think there is a kind of mobile phone type upgrade madness going on with some though, people who already own a 6 digit ref Sub looking to buy the new 41mm because it is 1mm wider and has thinner lugs than the one that they already own. Surely that's like selling your iPhone 11 to buy a 12 just because it's the latest model. That to me is bonkers, but it takes all sorts I suppose.
    Took the words out of my mouth, 5 digit all the way.

All the clambering up the AD's trouser leg and being fully submissive to anything they want as in "how long have you owned your house, how much do you earn, how much do you borrow" to own a less attractive watch (in my opinion) is just very sad.

Personally, rather than lower ones self to gut wrenching levels of ass kissing I would rather seek out the best quality 5 digit watch that suits you, buy originality, unpolished full set watches, they will increase in value if that drives your need to own Rolex, most importantly, 5 digit sport Rolex look classy rather than Swiss Tony in Marbella fat lugs..

I guess different people have different experiences with ADs. I have never had an AD subject me to ridiculous questioning or having to prove myself worthy nor have I ever have had to buy anything else to make a purchase. Nor have I ever paid a premium for a modern Rolex. Yes, obviously returning custom is always appreciated as it should be. It is not as if I could walk into a store and purchase any Rolex of my choice but once I expressed my interest, the watches would show up sooner or later. In the meantime I just wait patiently with an odd inquiry of the AD but otherwise not bothering to visit the AD or call him. Some of the stories are very likely exaggerated and AD behaviour rightly or wrongly is not infrequently influenced by how the potential buyer comes across. If the ADs were desperate to make a sale it wouldn’t matter but when the supply demand mismatch is such, ADs have the luxury of selling it to people they like. Some of the comments make me think ADs probably are choosing wisely.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 8th December 2020 at 15:10.

Journeyman
    Although I have a Rolex (no date submariner 114060) and have got that itch scratched so to speak, I was always interested in adding some more to my collection. Once all the scarcity and speculating started, I began looking elsewhere with more regularity. My current 'wish list' doesn't have any Rolex's on it any more, and I doubt I'll bother with the brand again. I think there are so many great watches and manufacturers out there, the fixation with Rolex is a bit reductive. A Blancpain Fifty Fathoms is top of my list now, with the new Omega Seamaster mentioned in another recent thread in there too. JLC, AP, GO are all brands I'd love to own. My finances are sadly far less cooperative than I'd like!

Craftsman
    Never understood the attraction until I saw a Deepsea in Goldsmiths window 6 years ago. Tried it on and suddenly I needed that watch. Logged on to Iconic and purchased discounted at £6k. Thankfully I am now sated.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Nope.
    Other people complaining doesn't put me off Rolex in the slightest.

I'm going to say yes.

First they randomised the serial numbers.

Then AD's retained warranty cards.

Now people are buying watches they don't want just to get enough standing to buy one that they do.

("Last week I bought a yachtmaster that I didn’t really want, just to boost myself up the list!")

source: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...T-Batman-Pepsi

I can only say again what I said there:

I'd call that an abusive relationship.

Imagine professional or personal relationship that went like this:

"I really want x [at work: a promotion, a good reference, that time off; at home: sex, him/her to stop hitting me, to be allowed to see my friends]. Therefore I will y [do whatever she/says, give them gifts, apologise constantly] in the hope that I might get x."

As long as x is a reasonable request, ideally one that you are entitled to or that should be part of a healthy relationship, then you shouldn't have to do y just to be in with a chance to get it.

Shopkeepers sell stuff. It's a simple transaction: you give them your money and they exchange it for goods. They have the right to refuse a sale or the item might unavailable. If that is the case then you go elsewhere or do without.

But this? This is something else.

Remember: Rolex create the scarcity. These are not "rare" perforce of being finite or having intrinsic value or because they hard to find / make. These are mass produced goods using established techniques and well-known (i.e. pretty ancient) technology. There is nothing about a Rolex watch that makes it worth ten grand, except their name and manipulation of the market. And yet people pay (in cash, kind and time) to be treated badly by the vendors? No thanks, I'd rather have my pride intact and a better watch for less money on my wrist.

One last thing: the hype. The Rolex mythologising, sorry advertising budget must be massive. That alone makes makes me wary of being "bought" -- another sucker sucked in.

Rolex is (so far) a good place to park wealth: you'll always get back at least what you paid. But markets can go down as well as up. Besides, they are (imho) the watch for people who don't know or care about watches. A true connoisseur or afficionado might well prefer something else.

Me? Omega, JLC, Nomos or a nice vintage piece. Two of three of them for the same as an overpriced Rolex. If I had the funds then maybe a PP or VC.

Rolex are good watches. Not great, but good. And, residuals notwithstanding, not worth the asking price.

If they reissued some of their back catalogue (the 5513 and 1016) at half the price of some of their bloated bling then hell yes! But their current models leave me cold. Status symbols and bankers' bracelets. No thanks!

Master
    Not for me. No other brand comes close. Innovation, prestige, build quality, and value retention. I've looked at other brands a lot recently but in the end keep circling back to Rolex.

I've always been drawn to the professional sports lines, but lately their standard datejust is really all the watch I need.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I really don’t understand makes otherwise normal people behave so irrationally about a watch that they can’t get easily. When I hear about people “being made” to do things against their will to obtain a Rolex I just smile to myself. Nobody HAS to do anything they don’t want to do. If you choose to do whatever demeaning task the AD requires for you to obtain whatever trinket will allow you to show off, that is your choice. It’s your free will. Nobody holds a gun to you head or kidnaps your family. Please I implore you can we not keep going over the same tired old arguments. The reality is that there are more customers than supply of professional models at RRP. Play the game, don’t play the game the world still turns and the sun still rises. The situation may change. If it doesn’t,it really isn’t that important to get stressed or upset about. It’s just a watch when all’s said and done.

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Not for me. No other brand comes close. Innovation, prestige, build quality, and value retention. I've looked at other brands a lot recently but in the end keep circling back to Rolex.

I've always been drawn to the professional sports lines, but lately their standard datejust is really all the watch I need.
    Of those four -- innovation, prestige, build quality, and value retention -- only 1 & 3 are objective or concrete.

So: what innovation? As for build quality: any better than, say, JLC or GS?

Master
    Yes.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Sorry but there is no way that 'no other brand comes close' when it comes to build quality. Innovation was true in the 1930s, not so much now. Prestige yes (although a Rolex is seen as louche in some circles). Value retention for sure.

The real reason most people buy a Rolex is so they can say they own a Rolex. Now't wrong with that but let's get real - it isn't the best watch in its price category although they are nice.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I’m currently a bit off piste with watches, but Rolex was where I started, and I wouldn’t be surprised if I came back.

You can get better details for the same outlay, GS for example, but the overall package with Rolex is hard to beat, and that is a lot more than just brand name and residuals, it also includes harmonious and timeless design.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    My opinion is all subjective. No point debating with me as no one will convince me in any case. I like Rolex, I own their watches, I will probably buy more.

So answering the OP's question. It's a no for me.

My opinion is all subjective.
    It's not. You cited four areas where Rolex excels: "innovation, prestige, build quality, and value retention."

All, except prestige, are objective.

Leaving aside value retention (this is "watch talk" not an investment forum) gives us only innovation and build quality.

Build quality is good -- but not as high as the price suggests it could or should be.

Innovation? Rolex have pretty much prided themselves on solid and (frankly) simple watches. Who's gone co-axial? Or twin-barrelled? Or spring-drive? Etc etc. Not Rolex.

You like them? Fine. That is your -- and others' -- subjective opinion. But don't fall back on that just because your objective criteria were challenged.

Objectively, I think the only reason to buy one is as a (so far) safe place to park some wealth. But what you get for your money is a watch worth less than half the rrp. (If I was a guessing man I'd say it probably costs Rolex a three figure sum to make a ss sports model. Maybe a grand, tops.) You're buying a name. A brand.

As a watch fan with limited means they are just not on my radar. If I had unlimited funds I might consider one -- although I think pretty much all of their recent offerings have been ugly, so it's vintage for me. Tritium and a 36mm case: more watch, less hype.

I did have a 1950s OP and loved it. A great watch. I sold it to buy a grail and would have liked to have kept it as it was so nice to wear and so classic in styling.

I'm not a Rolex hater but I hate what they've become in terms of products and practises.

And even as a company I'm not that enamoured of them. No museum, no extract from the archives. Overstating their achievements (NOT the first waterproof wrist watch, NOT the first with GMT hands, NOT the first automatic movement etc etc.) Arrogant and secretive from top to bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Besides, they are (imho) the watch for people who don't know or care about watches. A true connoisseur or afficionado might well prefer something else.
    There is a watchmaker chap in the Isle of Man. Apparently makes high end watches and knows his stuff.

IIRC his daily wear tends to be a Rolex.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    bla bla bla yada yada
    *yawn*

Last edited by KingKitega; 8th December 2020 at 23:16.

Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    There is a watchmaker chap in the Isle of Man. Apparently makes high end watches and knows his stuff.

If you delve deeper the reason is his wife bought him that watch for his birthday.

Grand Master
    I’ve owned a few over the past 12 years but nowadays they hold little appeal, prices are silly and I would be embarrassed to wear one of the modern offerings. I was happy to wear a £2.5k Rolex a few years back but I just can’t relate to having £9-£10k strapped to my wrist. I find the fat lugs post 2006 models unappealing, I had an OP 36 last year for a while but never really bonded with it so I sold it on and haven’t missed it.

The one Rolex I still own is a 1986 16013 bimetal Datejust that’s in near-mint original condition, I doubt there’s a better example in existence. I was lucky to buy it for a very good price from the original owner approx 12 years ago, I hardly ever wear it so there’s little point in keeping it if I’m honest, it looks too much like the current version at a glance with all the negative connotations that brings. I’d be better off selling but it has sentimental value, I wore it when I got married in 2015, should've worn my gold 1964 pie-pan Constellation instead.......it was a close call and I got it wrong!

That’s what Rolex means to me thesedays, I much prefer a nice vintage Omega provided its not a Speedy or a diver.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 9th December 2020 at 00:07.

Master
    No
    2 things that put me off the brand

1)Instagram/facebook groups where they take shots of the watch in the car with the German/Italian badge-cringeworthy as fxxx.

2) Neds/Chavs in the AD looking for the same stuff you like-a bit like if you liked Burberry back in the day. Makes you question your taste a bit.

I realise that sounds ridiculously aloof and the dad in the Patek advert would have a coronary if I was trying on a PP.
    It just puts me off a bit-not enough to not buy one but definitely a negative.

Some of this AD stuff must be a bit blown out of proportion ,I rang an AD and said I'd like an air king a few days later they rang me and would you like one we have one here?
    I went and bought it and asked to go on the list for a no date sub.
    3 months later job done.
    Now on the list for a blro.
    Piece of cake.
    Being polite and well turned out cost me nothing,knowing a little about watches may of helped.
    Not a bj in sight either.

Love to read the rants though......

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

His "other" daily wearer that he bought himself is actually a nice little De Ville Chronograph, with the 321 inside.
    He also has a seamaster chrono with the same movement in it.
    Last edited by sweets; 9th December 2020 at 00:23.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    If you delve deeper the reason is his wife bought him that watch for his birthday.
    One of them. He has a 36mm and a 39mm. Must really like them.

Craftsman

Correct. He has been effusively outspoken about the quality of that watch also. Dufour also wears a Rolex in his daily rotation, a Six digit model too (shock horror) that he was content to sit on a waiting list for. Good enough for me. All this reverse snobbery bollocks about Rolex is just infantile. The company makes utterly superb watches. Those who feign dislike or ambivalence towards them are likely just trying too hard to be different.

*yawn*

Exactly.

Master
    What's Rolex got that, say, Blancpain hasn't? Brand value? Recognisability?

Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    All this reverse snobbery bollocks about Rolex is just infantile. The company makes utterly superb watches. Those who feign dislike or ambivalence towards them are likely just trying too hard to be different.
    It's not reverse snobbery on my part Rolex designs have never spoken to me. Also, I cannot fathom some people's disproportionate adoration for Rolex. (Why not Blancpain?)

At this price point, many companies make superb timepiece. And I prefer a watch that goes under the radar. Even if Santa gave me a Rolex, I'd feel uncomfortable wearing one because Rolex is the one brand that's most recognisably-expensive.

With one exception (a WIS friend of mine), everyone I know with a Rolex bought the brand for the wrong reason. It's to show off that they've 'made it'. They all bought the brand, not the watch. And this showiness taints Rolex for many of us.
    Last edited by Dougal; 9th December 2020 at 10:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    A nice clean case without the brand name in font size 72 on the side
    At this price point, many companies make superb timepiece. And I prefer a watch that goes under the radar. Even if Santa gave me a Rolex, I'd feel uncomfortable wearing one because Rolex is the one brand that's most recognisably-expensive.
    I agree mostly but it depends on want you get. A girl at work last year said she was thinking about getting a "nice watch" and asked to see mine as she knew I was into watches. I took my Explorer 39 MK2 off and gave it to her. She looked all around it for about 30 seconds and even tried it on and when she gave it back said "it's nice, but I think I'd want a Rolex".

[QUOTE=Dougal;5610415]What's Rolex got that, say, Blancpain hasn't? Brand value? Recognisability?

Nothing important. One could possibly say may be brand recognition and value retention. But those are not important considerations in my book.
    Blancpain certainly makes great watches and between vintage and modern I have probably more Blancpains.
    Rolex is not by a long shot the only horse nor even the best horse in the race.
    I only defend Rolex because I find the objections and criticisms so juvenile and people are so defensive about their non-want of Rolex and feel so compelled to entertain us with their amusing drivel about Rolex again and again. And yet again.
    On every single thread- whether it is about Rolex or some other brand, it doesn’t matter.

I don’t like Ferraris but I don’t go about saying- why I will not buy a Ferrari. Although unlike some here who say they wouldn’t wear a Rolex even if given for free, I wouldnt say no to a Ferrari GTO 250 from the sixties.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 9th December 2020 at 11:26.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

It's not reverse snobbery on my part Rolex designs have never spoken to me. Also, I cannot fathom some people's disproportionate adoration for Rolex. (Why not Blancpain?)

With one exception (a WIS friend of mine), everyone I know with a Rolex bought the brand for the wrong reason. It's to show off that they've 'made it'. They all bought the brand, not the watch. And this showiness taints Rolex for many of us.
    I have a blancpain FF tribute to milspec. 2018 barely worn.
    Currently languishing in blancpains service centre for a full service after the crown wouldn't screw down (needs replacing w/ tube) and the movement was declared to be dry, and running at poor amplitude.

Meanwhile ive got rolexes that are 42, 31, 12 which have run and run. I know for sure that the 12 year old has never been serviced and it runs at 0/0

Our watchmaker cheerfully describes Rolex as tractor movements, and he's right. Not fancy, not technical, run and run without major issue.
    That is what I favour over beautifully finished, technical, delicate movements with more to go wrong.

Master

Thanks verv, now I understand it better.

What Verv said is also why my Rolex is my beater.

...bugger - should be wearing my wednesday watch!

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I have a blancpain FF tribute to milspec. 2018 barely worn.
    Currently languishing in blancpains service centre for a full service after the crown wouldn't screw down (needs replacing w/ tube) and the movement was declared to be dry, and running at poor amplitude.

Meanwhile ive got rolexes that are 42, 31, 12 which have run and run. I know for sure that the 12 year old has never been serviced and it runs at 0/0

Our watchmaker cheerfully describes Rolex as tractor movements, and he's right. Not fancy, not technical, run and run without major issue.
    That is what I favour over beautifully finished, technical, delicate movements with more to go wrong.
    Interesting point that. A work colleague of mine had a Rolex sub, wore it every day for work and pretty much everything else. His view was "If it gets knackered I will just send it in for a service" Few years later the bezel got stiff and he sent it off for a service. Full repairs later it cost him about a grand to get all the work done but it came back looking like new. He just took the stickers off and carried on wearing it.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=RAJEN;5610447]

Nothing important. One could possibly say may be brand recognition and value retention. But those are not important considerations in my book.
    Blancpain certainly makes great watches and between vintage and modern I have probably more Blancpains.
    Rolex is not by a long shot the only horse nor even the best horse in the race.
    I only defend Rolex because I find the objections and criticisms so juvenile and people are so defensive about their non-want of Rolex and feel so compelled to entertain us with their amusing drivel about Rolex again and again. And yet again.
    On every single thread- whether it is about Rolex or some other brand, it doesn’t matter.

I don’t like Ferraris but I don’t go about saying- why I will not buy a Ferrari. Although unlike some here who say they wouldn’t wear a Rolex even if given for free, I wouldnt say no to a Ferrari GTO 250 from the sixties.
    The watches are fine, I own a few of the more interesting ones. They haven't made an interesting watch for rather a long time.

While Wilsdorf foundation are basically a Swiss Robin Hood, no one really knows that and Rolex are not telling. Few know about Wilsdorf at all. However, Rolex, and Tudor for that matter, have a long history of being misleadingly naughty, a habit that they have not yet quite escaped.

Anyone defending the brand needs to look at their ceiling. I've written 'gullible' on it. As for amusing drivel, feel free to rebut any of mine...