closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Have Rolex cured you of the need to ever own a Rolex?

Journeyman
    As a everyday workhorse Rolex cannot really be beaten and I can see why they are so popular. Decent looking, reliable, reasonable service costs and good value retention.

What's not to like?

[QUOTE=M4tt;5610844]
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post

The watches are fine, I own a few of the more interesting ones. They haven't made an interesting watch for rather a long time.

While Wilsdorf foundation are basically a Swiss Robin Hood, no one really knows that and Rolex are not telling. Few know about Wilsdorf at all. However, Rolex, and Tudor for that matter, have a long history of being misleadingly naughty, a habit that they have not yet quite escaped.

Anyone defending the brand needs to look at their ceiling. I've written 'gullible' on it. As for amusing drivel, feel free to rebut any of mine...
    More laughable drivel :-)
    Personal opinions and innuendos.
    On a serious note, it is perfectly fine if you don’t find the current ones interesting. It is a personal opinion that you are entitled to. What makes a watch interesting to you may not be same as me. I could express my opinion floridly about watches you prefer but I prefer not too. You are entitled to like what you like. I need not pass a judgement on your watches or preferences or motives behind liking those.
    As for the rest,we have heard before. Often.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 9th December 2020 at 21:05.

Quote Originally Posted by roxylady View Post
    As a everyday workhorse Rolex cannot really be beaten and I can see why they are so popular. Decent looking, reliable, reasonable service costs and good value retention.

What's not to like?
    I'd agree that as a robust but still nice watch you could have a Rolex as a near beater (a workhorse as you say) and youd be hard pressed to find something that does a better job.

In the real world however the proportion of people buying a Rolex and then using it as a workhorse will be around 0.01%

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Have Rolex cured you of the need to ever own a Rolex?

^ I don’t know, I would think a decent proportion of DJs and lady DJs are bought for just that.

An everyday watch that gets worn regardless of occasion. I certainly know a few of these types of owners. Watches don’t mean the same to the masses as they do to us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by boris9; 9th December 2020 at 21:26.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    In the real world however the proportion of people buying a Rolex and then using it as a workhorse will be around 0.01%

I am not sure I fully agree as most people just buy a watch and wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by roxylady View Post
    I am not sure I fully agree as most people just buy a watch and wear it.
    Ok by workhorse I assumed you meant like using as a tool watch. Not as an everyday wearer as many watches will do that job equally well. Where for me Rolex is worth its salt is in how robust they are - the movements are bulletproof- that wouldn't really be tested when used as jewellery.

There is never a ‘need’ to own a Rolex.
    However people of weak mind who get influenced by views of others and are not blessed with a curiosity to actually know the facts often have their ‘want’ changed.
    Wow, that’s a pretty bold statement. I think you will find that lots of collectors own more than just Rolex.

For example I have owned Rolex since 1982 (it wasn’t my first nice watch). Since then I have sold 3, but have bought 12. The oldest is 1930’s and newest is 2016. Most date between 1960-1990. However I also have Panerai, Omega, Seiko, JLC, Hanhart, to name a few.

But you are right there is never a need to own a Rolex, much that there is never a need to buy anything other than a Casio.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I'd agree that as a robust but still nice watch you could have a Rolex as a near beater (a workhorse as you say) and youd be hard pressed to find something that does a better job.

Commercial Divers, IT professional, Doctors, Undertakers, Vets, Lawyers, Actors, Pilots, etc should take note

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=RAJEN;5610896]
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post

More laughable drivel :-)
    Personal opinions and innuendos.
    On a serious note, it is perfectly fine if you don’t find the current ones interesting. It is a personal opinion that you are entitled to. What makes a watch interesting to you may not be same as me. I could express my opinion floridly about watches you prefer but I prefer not too. You are entitled to like what you like. I need not pass a judgement on your watches or preferences or motives behind liking those.
    As for the rest,we have heard before. Often.
    Ok, apart from the antigravity properties of their residuals what is interesting (by your definition - but uniquely interesting) about any Rolex since the wonderful misstep that was parachrom blu. (don't get me wrong, it was wonderful, producing a paramagnetic mainspring, however, with entirely non magnetic silicon ones on the near horizon it was a mistake).

I'm unsure I have passed any judgement on motives or preferences here, just Rolex and I'd love you to express a florid opinion about watches I prefer, because that's always interesting but you'll have a job on your hands. I'm often not sure myself and my collection reflects that.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post

Our watchmaker cheerfully describes Rolex as tractor movements, and he's right. Not fancy, not technical, run and run without major issue.
    That is what I favour over beautifully finished, technical, delicate movements with more to go wrong.
    Chatting with a local farmer and looking at his "tractors" (i.e. massive machines costing several hundred thousand, with the cab ten feet up in the air and lots of flashing lights) I can only agree.

Rolex are fine if you want a bling bracelet and better returns than a cash ISA. Personally, I don't.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Chatting with a local farmer and looking at his "tractors" (i.e. massive machines costing several hundred thousand, with the cab ten feet up in the air and lots of flashing lights) I can only agree.

Rolex are fine if you want a bling bracelet and better returns than a cash ISA. Personally, I don't.
    Glass of milk might cure some of that acid.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Glass of milk might cure some of that acid.
    Lasoprazole works for me. Seriously, though I love old Rolexes - understated, 34 or 36mm cases, tritium lume. No fussiness or sparkle even on the dressier models. Solid and simple. Sold (and often still selling) for what I think they are worth.

The current offerings are something a salesman who's earned some good commission or a banker in receipt of his bonus might buy. For true watch fans there are products (new and vintage) that are imho better, i.e. more interesting, more affordable, nicer looking.

Factor in the nonsense of randomised serial numbers, waiting lists and having to suck the c*ck of the AD and it's a big no from me.

Each to their own though. Good residuals, at least for now, if that matters to you. But that would be a thread for money saving expert or investment forum. As watches (and as a company) they leave me cold. Estate agents' jewellery.

Lasoprazole works for me.

Aaah, you seem to be taking the Chinese substitute for LANSOPRAZOLE. No wonder it doesn’t seem to be working.

People earn their money and spend it how they like at the end of the day. Some folks like Rolex, some like to stand out more as an individual and get something different. The correct answer is of course to get both!

Last edited by ryanb741; 10th December 2020 at 20:14.

People warn their money and spend it how they like at the end of the day. Some folks like Rolex, some like to stand out more as an individual and get something different. The correct answer is of course to get both!
    No, the correct answer is get what you like and don't follow the herd (whatever the herd thinks that week)

I can't see a Rolex ever figuring in my collection - There was a time when I might have felt I had to have one, but it lasted about as long as it took for me to see a few.

I quite like the Milgauss, though - I'd wear that if someone gave it to me

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Aaah, you seem to be taking the Chinese substitute for LANSOPRAZOLE. No wonder it doesn’t seem to be working.
    That'll be it then! Fake Chinese drugs. At least there are no fake Chinese Rolexes! :-)

I like modern Rolexes, they are as close as anyone has got to making my ideal every day watch.

It never occurred to me that they could upset people as evidenced in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Murdoc View Post
    I like modern Rolexes...It never occurred to me that they could upset people as evidenced in this thread.
    Possibly before the 1950s they were seen as pure tools, but the days of them not being seen by many as a demonstration of wealth (whether they see that positively or negatively) are long gone.

For me, they obtained a distasteful image in the 1980s when red braced, champagne swilling boors would flash their loose-fitting all gold Datejust under your nose at the slightest (or no) provocation (If you didn't work in London in those days, you may find it hard to believe it was really like that).

I've never really been able to shake that association, but it doesn't bother me. Nowadays I see them a bit like buying a Porsche - It's a 'good' choice, but it's a bit unimaginative.

The never ending run of threads about 'How to get on The List?', 'I got a Rolex!!!!!' and 'Where can I get a Steel Sports Rolex from?' do get a bit boring (thanks to those who at least entitle their threads with something obvious)

M
    Last edited by snowman; 10th December 2020 at 20:34.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I see them a bit like buying a Porsche - It's a 'good' choice, but it's a bit unimaginative.

M
    I always think of them as the BMW of watches, maybe with Omega as the Audi.

But given their recent increases in size and price maybe Rolex are Bentley?

What are Seiko in car terms? Something Japanese? More like Ford, I think: ubiquitous, good, well-made, reliable with some nice high end models and plenty of lower-priced offerings.

This could be a fun thread.

What are Seiko in car terms? Something Japanese? More like Ford, I think: ubiquitous, good, well-made, reliable with some nice high end models and plenty of lower-priced offerings.

///M division

Opinions, we all have them

opinion
    /əˈpɪnjən/
    noun
    1. a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
    "that, in my opinion, is right"

...This could be a fun thread.
    I think it's already been done...

M

I love them. I’ll keep jumping through the hoops.

A junior doctor earns 50k a year +/- 10k depending on seniority and the intensity of their job. At the top end of that scale, they're probably 30-32 years old and in the job for about 6-8years. If bad things happen at night with no consultsnt cover on site, they are making life and death decisions. After student loan deductions, NI, paye and pension, that probably nets them 2-3k a month. In a world where people are paying 20k+ for steel Daytonas

The world has gone mad

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    A junior doctor earns 50k a year +/- 10k depending on seniority and the intensity of their job. At the top end of that scale, they're probably 30-32 years old and in the job for about 6-8years. If bad things happen at night with no consultsnt cover on site, they are making life and death decisions. After student loan deductions, NI, paye and pension, that probably nets them 2-3k a month. In a world where people are paying 20k+ for steel Daytonas

The world has gone mad
    Paying more than a months wages is most probably considered madness by the non-WIS - actually paying more than £100 for a watch is probably considered stupid. (I know my mother thought my dad was mad getting his air-king-date back in 1978 for £250. Probably more than a months wages then for a lead laboratory technicians wages. I am sure she would think me certifiable what I spend on watches - god rest her soul).

But we (logged onto TZ) regularly do so.

Not limited to Rolex.

NB: now I’m living off my pensions, but I still buy watches - funded (mainly) by selling others.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 11th December 2020 at 14:19.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Lasoprazole works for me. Seriously, though I love old Rolexes - understated, 34 or 36mm cases, tritium lume. No fussiness or sparkle even on the dressier models. Solid and simple. Sold (and often still selling) for what I think they are worth.

The current offerings are something a salesman who's earned some good commission or a banker in receipt of his bonus might buy. For true watch fans there are products (new and vintage) that are imho better, i.e. more interesting, more affordable, nicer looking.

Factor in the nonsense of randomised serial numbers, waiting lists and having to suck the c*ck of the AD and it's a big no from me.

Each to their own though. Good residuals, at least for now, if that matters to you. But that would be a thread for money saving expert or investment forum. As watches (and as a company) they leave me cold. Estate agents' jewellery.
    I tend to wear older Rolex as I'm a fan of tritium.
    I've had at some point a lot of the new professional models and dont mind them at all, then again, i'm in sales so what would I know.

I often find that those levelling the blingy bracelet criticism at Rolex are the same folk who love the Omega Seamaster and Blancpain FF, I find those bracelets much "blingier" and worse fitting but as you've said, each to their own.

You dont have to fellate anyone for a Rolex. They're all available at market rate.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post

The world has gone mad
    Well put. It has gone mad.

Price and availability aren't the most egregious deterrents to acquiring a new Rolex.

ADs need to reacquaint themselves with the concept of who the customer is.

Master
    Nope, I will keep buying what I like waiting. But I also generally buy what I like regardless of the name on the watch.

Master
    They've never really struck me as something I really want. The Milgauss GV looked nice in the jewelers window and a Pepsi or Explorer 2 were things I once had a vague want for but the GV and Pepsi are too small on my wrist, and the explorer 2 just didn't do it for me in person so the desire for a Rolex when they were actually available to mere mortals passed me by.
    Since actually engaging in my love of watches I have come to discount them mainly based on size (I have very thick wrists so 40mm watches look a bit odd) but also on the disingenuous advertising they seem to love to indulge in. As the supply has become restricted and the watches have become more about investment or 'having a relationship' with an AD they have bottomed out on my interest-o-meter.
    There are so many other brands out there which outshine Rolex in design, engineering, movements, materials, complications, whatever measure you choose, that I don't see it as a 'thing' really.
    Of course some love them and that's all good for them.

Apprentice
    Omega has cured me ot that. Oh, and Rolex of course. I am happy to pay ridiculous prices for luxury items I really do not need, but there is a limit for my suspension of disbelief.

Master

Indeed it could:) Rolex in my eyes are Range Rover..... lovely cars but they could be considered tool cars that never see a dirt track and are owned by people who seem to like to exhibit wealth. Omega FOIS is the BMW 520d which is a nice car but everybody’s got one. Tag could be Alfa Romeo , Seiko would be a Mondeo, and g shock a Honda.

Prices are too far north now of where i would feel comfortable wearing one day in day out, would be to afraid of damaging it and finally too conscious of walking around with a £6-10k watch on my wrist...

Shame because out of them all i wish I’d kept the 14060M z series i had years ago but due to circumstances at the time i needed to sell it on...

I’ll stick to Tudor now as its more in a range i like and more importantly won’t be too afraid of wearing...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    They are superb watches no doubt, but you can buy equivalent quality for less. So in my mind a big factor is what they say about you.

When I bought my Sub in 2001 they were the best value watch. My 2019 GMT Ceramic I see as VFM as well. It's the best looking watch for <6250. Now with all the hype, it's gone mental.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Prices are too far north now of where i would feel comfortable wearing one day in day out, would be to afraid of damaging it and finally too conscious of walking around with a £6-10k watch on my wrist...
    This is the trouble, can you wear one in inner city Britain?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bestofthebest View Post
    This is the trouble, can you wear one in inner city Britain?
    No problems in Glasgow or Edinburgh that I know of.
    Mainly a London problem I think.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood;[URL="tel:5613554"
    5613554[/URL]]No problems in Glasgow or Edinburgh that I know of.
    no problem in London. I wore Rolex daily into the west end on a daily basis for a number of years.

I also wear them on holiday. I did have one nicked off my wrist in Barcelona though - covered by insurance.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    no problem in London. I wore Rolex daily into the west end on a daily basis for a number of years.

I also wear them on holiday. I did have one nicked off my wrist in Barcelona though - covered by insurance.
    Yes same story with me in London. Worn daily for a few years now and never given it a second thought.

Also taken on holiday wherever I have been.

Sorry to hear one was taken off your wrist. That doesn’t sound fun.

Maybe I should start being more careful!

Barcelona again, my work colleague had his Sub taken from his wrist last year, he still to this day can't believe he didn't feel it being removed from his wrist, got his money back via insurance but...

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    No problems in Glasgow or Edinburgh that I know of.
    No stereotyping there at all lol!

Subs are kind of like standard London uniform in the city TBH. Maybe a bit low brow for the big boys ;)

Not for me. The opposite is true actually, I’ve never owned a Rolex before but this week have put my name down for an Explorer and/or an OP41, will see what 2021 brings I guess.

Master
    It depends. Modern Rolex, yes. But only because their modern watches are watches that hold no appeal to me. Consequentially I don't particularly desire or wish to own them. Vintage Rolex, however, is a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Indeed it could:) Rolex in my eyes are Range Rover..... lovely cars but they could be considered tool cars that never see a dirt track and are owned by people who seem to like to exhibit wealth. Omega FOIS is the BMW 520d which is a nice car but everybody’s got one. Tag could be Alfa Romeo , Seiko would be a Mondeo, and g shock a Honda.
    Yes! A 1016 Explorer might be a Series 1 Land Rover but the massive new things are clearly Range Rovers.

I know which I'd rather have.

Journeyman
    You’d need to be a really sad guy to try and build a relationship with someone to buy something that’s already over inflated in price. Let alone buying items you don’t really want just for the chance to buy something you do actually want.

Following on from my thread earlier, not a chance in hell am I begging anyone to take my money!

Reading this from the start is not enjoyable or a reflection of why many enjoy nice timepieces.

Shame.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Totally, sold my Air King 40mm a while back and now only keeping my Datejust 36mm. Done playing the game (and grey market dealer's) and have since moved on to brands that actually provide decent customer service and experience.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Reading this from the start is not enjoyable or a reflection of why many enjoy nice timepieces.

Shame.
    You're right, why can't some people seem to accept others have different tastes to them without trying to belittle their choices? Seems odd to me, but then I like lots of different types and makes of watch and accept others might like different ones.

Unless it's a Bremont, and they're wearing a flying jacket to the pub of course! (joke, before the flyboys scramble)
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master

That’s good to hear on London
    Had read a couple of things with guys getting stabbed for theirs .
    Barcelona really doesn’t get a great reputation for visitors and their belongings unfortunately

Wearing a Rolex in London depends mostly where in London you are. A guy was stabbed and killed for a stainless steel DateJust II in Greenwich coming out of a jazz club. Not an area you'd expect that to happen in.

I'd wear any Rolex into the the city if I was just spending the day in the office or whatnot. I wouldn't wear one in the evening in the west end or even around covent garden/Holborn if I was out for the night. Much of it depends on if it's seen and if you look like a target.

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post

Shame because out of them all i wish I’d kept the 14060M z series i had years ago but due to circumstances at the time i needed to sell it on...

I’ll stick to Tudor now as its more in a range i like and more importantly won’t be too afraid of wearing...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    This is a problem.

My very ordinary 16610 has become so valuable that I am reluctant to wear it. I bought a used 16570 to have a Rolex daily wearer, and the same has happened to this. This is why most days I’m I’m wearing Seiko, and if it isn’t Seiko it’s B&R or my Breitling Aerospace.

Dave