closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Have Rolex cured you of the need to ever own a Rolex?

Hybrid View

Have Rolex cured you of the need to ever own a Rolex?

They certainly have for me. I’ve been away from watches for a few years and the things I’m reading on this forum seem outrageous to me. And yet so many are prepared to jump through hoops in order to own one

Kind of...maybe. I've got a DJ41 that I'm happy with and will keep. I realise that modern Rolex are now out of the ballpark I'm willing to spend on a watch, especially with secondhand prices above RRP. Just means the games caused by demand outweighing supply go over my head. If you can't afford something or not willing to spend the amount to buy something you kind of stop desiring it. I don't blame Rolex or resent it, just the way it is.

Master
    Well - I'm fortunate in having experienced my first flush of Rolex lust in the 1980s. I went into a jewellers and bought a new GMT Master. A number of places in the same city centre had the same model (and a few others; Explorer IIs, Datejusts etc). Very easy, although spending nearly £700 on a watch certainly felt extravagant at the time. I'm also fortunate in that I still have it. I don't envy people who feel the need to acquire their first Rolex now.

The marketing might be very clever but the sense that buying one is some sort of rare privilege would put me off.

Master
    I have been looking at various different Rolex (all kind of similar to one another!), on here for the last 12 years or so, with different coloured bezels and ref numbers and read quite a few threads re availability, my AD said, got the call, investment etc etc etc..
    still no desire to buy one. I would say Rolex threads have ensured I never need to own one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    The marketing might be very clever but the sense that buying one is some sort of rare privilege would put me off.
    I agree entirely.

Post #28 here - https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=778119

Poe's Law and all that, but...

My story is not too dissimilar than ones you’ve read here.

Sincerity, persistence, passion.

This AD was the one who sold me my first Rolex. After visiting many ADs in my area (and having horrible experiences) I really connected with my SA. She is a wonderful woman to the core.

I visited the AD a few times since I purchased the watch to get small gifts for family on notable occasions.

I sent pineapples from Maui. I dropped off holiday baskets and bottles of champagne on a few occasions.

And then in August, for my anniversary, my wife gave the go ahead to ask for the Pepsi.

I text my SA and explained why I wanted the Pepsi and what it would mean for me. I specifically said “ I will only ask you this one time. How long do you think I will wait? At least 2 years?”

The response was “shouldn’t be”.

I dropped in to see them because we just got a puppy and they wanted to meet her. So I dropped in with the puppy and bottles of wine.

Fast forward to a week ago.

I brought holiday baskets, champagne, and chocolates for the rest of the team. (Scary story, on the way I was almost in a horrible car accident. Someone was going in reverse on the off ramp I just exited. I had to maneuver and the bottles of champagne broke in my car. I stopped at a liquor store down the street to get replacement bottles.

I purchased some small items for family gifts and left.

Anyway, I never did re-inquire about the watch any time I was there. I genuinely wanted to see how these folks were. They truly are “family” to me.

So the owner called me a few days ago and was very happy to receive the basket and champagne (she wasn’t there when I dropped in”.

She expressed that she would love to repay the gesture. I said “Well (SA) is aware of a way to repay it and I would much appreciate it when the time comes.”

Got the call today from the owner and SA and they sung the news to me.

Needless to say it was memorable.

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Post #28 here - https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=778119

Poe's Law and all that, but...
    That story and the fact the guy isn’t subsequently mocked relentlessly is exactly why I stopped visiting US watch forums.

I guess different people have different experiences with ADs. I have never had an AD subject me to ridiculous questioning or having to prove myself worthy nor have I ever have had to buy anything else to make a purchase. Nor have I ever paid a premium for a modern Rolex. Yes, obviously returning custom is always appreciated as it should be. It is not as if I could walk into a store and purchase any Rolex of my choice but once I expressed my interest, the watches would show up sooner or later. In the meantime I just wait patiently with an odd inquiry of the AD but otherwise not bothering to visit the AD or call him. Some of the stories are very likely exaggerated and AD behaviour rightly or wrongly is not infrequently influenced by how the potential buyer comes across. If the ADs were desperate to make a sale it wouldn’t matter but when the supply demand mismatch is such, ADs have the luxury of selling it to people they like. Some of the comments make me think ADs probably are choosing wisely.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 8th December 2020 at 15:10.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Well - I'm fortunate in having experienced my first flush of Rolex lust in the 1980s. I went into a jewellers and bought a new GMT Master. A number of places in the same city centre had the same model (and a few others; Explorer IIs, Datejusts etc). Very easy, although spending nearly £700 on a watch certainly felt extravagant at the time. I'm also fortunate in that I still have it. I don't envy people who feel the need to acquire their first Rolex now.

Same here. Bought my first Rolex, a Submariner Date, whilst abroad in 1983. The cost of it cleaned me out, but I had it on my wrist and my God did it feel special!

Wearing it day and night for about 20 years, through life’s roughs and smooths, it never felt anything less than special, and still does!

Since acquiring several other watches, my Sub had a well earned rest and has a few outings a year. A few services at RSJ has ensured it’s reliability, and it looks as good as new.

My need for one was well and truly satisfied 37 years ago and now, although also owning an Explorer 1 and having this year bought my wife a classic OP, I’ve always had a take it or leave it attitude to buying another, I ‘don’t need’ another and would certainly not entertain a lengthy waiting list.

I actually do feel privileged to have bought and to still own that first Rolex. Buying myself another would be an anticlimax.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I was going to put the :yawn: emoji up - but couldn’t be bothered.

I own 4 now. 3 modern 1 vintage. The modern ones aren’t that special (well one is quite special), the vintage (1978) is.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 6th December 2020 at 11:48.

Master
    WISs are a completely different animal from normal people. I would guess that normal people represent about 99% of the Rolex market and the one thing that seperates PP and Rolex from the rest is that they both look after their brand and that protects their customers over the long term.

So Joe Bloggs buys a Rolex either by enduring a slog from an AD or paying the going rate from a grey dealer in the knowledge that his watch will always be maintained as new and the value will probably rise.

This make me very loyal to Rolex and there are millions like me.

Craftsman
    I have never seen a Rolex up close in real life - I don't know if they look at lot better "in the flesh", but from the pictures I have seen of them online they do not appeal to me. Add to that all the dealer shenanigans, and I think I am put off them for life.

Grand Master
    I wouldnt jump thru hoops to own one,but when looking for a particular Rolex,Ill only buy if the price is right,and the right price is to pay less than I sold that same Rolex for.....

And thankfully I managed to do that buying another superb 2000 SD 16600 last week.

I would jump through hoop after hoop after hoops to own some of the Rolex range!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a fan ...but we have clearly moved quickly from a Sub being a 2500 watch to a 7500 watch (pre premium)...and this makes them less toolish and more like high end accessories that you worry more about wearing due to potential for marking them or worse clunking one or dare i say theft risk, and hence many live in safes in the dark stores of value rather than enjoying them choosing to wear a ‘beater’ as a daily where once the Sub was king...and thats a shame.....

Pre 2010 replacing a Sub insert was a easy and cheap operation even a crystal was no biggy today a ceramic insert or crystal replacement is costly and seemingly a back to factory job without exception....

But none of that dulls the desire to obtain what are very well engineered attractive pieces that are still the benchmark toolwatch / divers watch....and whilst they aren’t the cheapest choice you know they will hold value and are pretty much the easiset watch to sell if you have a life crisis or change of direction...

Rolex lost my custom year's ago when they started putting on weight.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I hear they’ve been on a diet though

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    I hear they’ve been on a diet though
    So I'm led to understand, no longer "full fat" - more chubby chaser these days.

The more I read about Rolex the more I want an Omega

Quote Originally Posted by snedboy View Post
    Rather than being hung up on a name, just buy a watch because it's what you like.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snedboy View Post
    I wouldn't go that far.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Aye, I got one long before they went crackers and would never buy another, but none of the bloated ceramic bezel ones interest me in the slightest anyway. I’d sooner have a Tudor.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Vintage Rolex.

If Rolex were a brand new brand, they’d not even be Bremont. They’d be the relaunched Dent or the relaunched Favre Leube. Overweight, pretentious and unjustifiably similar to other, all too similar brands.

However, Rolex have history and a reputation built on immensely solid watches. If you buy the mythology then buy vintage, where the mythology actually has roots. Modern stuff is a homage to this. A homage that has missed the point. If it has an embossed rehaut saying ‘Rolex’, then it’s not really a Rolex in any sense that matters, except resale.

Anyone selling a 6098?

Master

Thanks verv, now I understand it better.

What Verv said is also why my Rolex is my beater.

...bugger - should be wearing my wednesday watch!

I don’t mind them being impossible to get for me (even though I’ve spent £12,500 in the AD). I do shake my head when I hear people getting offered watch after watch. That sits badly with me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    I don’t mind them being impossible to get for me (even though I’ve spent £12,500 in the AD). I do shake my head when I hear people getting offered watch after watch. That sits badly with me.
    Yes in that they have increased in price for reasons we all know yet the watches aren't rare. But when I read about that Hong Kong auction that sold the latest OP models I just think why bother.

Master
    Sold my Rolex. I think I was actually cured of my desire for them by this forum. Much of the association with them seems to be a high degree of exclusivity, greed, blatant profit making and Willy waving.
    Suddenly my hobby got cheaper too.
    Everyone to their own but I’m over it:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SydR
    I own three, all purchase in the last 33 months, of which 2 are SS sports models. No hoops jumped through for any.

First was a short, 8 week, wait for a Sub from an AD with no prior relationship.

There is never a ‘need’ to own a Rolex.
    However people of weak mind who get influenced by views of others and are not blessed with a curiosity to actually know the facts often have their ‘want’ changed.

Craftsman
    Never understood the attraction until I saw a Deepsea in Goldsmiths window 6 years ago. Tried it on and suddenly I needed that watch. Logged on to Iconic and purchased discounted at £6k. Thankfully I am now sated.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    There is never a ‘need’ to own a Rolex.
    However people of weak mind who get influenced by views of others and are not blessed with a curiosity to actually know the facts often have their ‘want’ changed.
    Wow, that’s a pretty bold statement. I think you will find that lots of collectors own more than just Rolex.

For example I have owned Rolex since 1982 (it wasn’t my first nice watch). Since then I have sold 3, but have bought 12. The oldest is 1930’s and newest is 2016. Most date between 1960-1990. However I also have Panerai, Omega, Seiko, JLC, Hanhart, to name a few.

But you are right there is never a need to own a Rolex, much that there is never a need to buy anything other than a Casio.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Most of the madness of course relates solely to brand new watches. Although prices have climbed steeply over the past few years, the 5 digit references are far more accessible and in a lot of people's eyes far more attractive watches. I would have included the 4 digit references in that as well, but they have really become an area were the buyer needs to do a lot of ground work before contemplating a purchase.

These watches are freely available at numerous dealers all over the country and the art is finding a nice example at a reasonable price rather than the fun and games that people go through to get their hands on the latest offering.

I enjoy seeing the latest releases, but rarely think about buying one as they are just not available to me unless I was willing to pay a premium from a grey.

I do think there is a kind of mobile phone type upgrade madness going on with some though, people who already own a 6 digit ref Sub looking to buy the new 41mm because it is 1mm wider and has thinner lugs than the one that they already own. Surely that's like selling your iPhone 11 to buy a 12 just because it's the latest model. That to me is bonkers, but it takes all sorts I suppose.

I think part of the whole Rolex issue is they have become a store of value that is also easily traded and therefore has a relatively liquid market. People who otherwise might not have bought one, do so because of their investment value. This increases demand which outstrips supply and the situation gets worse.

Because they aren’t able to just sell over RRP, ADs use waiting lists and preferential customers to maximise their profit out of this situation.

Until something fundamentally changes in terms of desireability, I can’t see much changing in the near future.
    Last edited by Christian; 6th December 2020 at 10:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I do think there is a kind of mobile phone type upgrade madness going on with some though, people who already own a 6 digit ref Sub looking to buy the new 41mm because it is 1mm wider and has thinner lugs than the one that they already own. Surely that's like selling your iPhone 11 to buy a 12 just because it's the latest model. That to me is bonkers, but it takes all sorts I suppose.
    Yep I put that in the bonkers category as well.

Although now you mention it, the idea has some merit...

After all you couldn’t sell an iPhone 11 for more than you paid, buy the 12 and still be in pocket.

Nope still can’t be bothered.

Master
    No
    2 things that put me off the brand

1)Instagram/facebook groups where they take shots of the watch in the car with the German/Italian badge-cringeworthy as fxxx.

2) Neds/Chavs in the AD looking for the same stuff you like-a bit like if you liked Burberry back in the day. Makes you question your taste a bit.

I realise that sounds ridiculously aloof and the dad in the Patek advert would have a coronary if I was trying on a PP.
    It just puts me off a bit-not enough to not buy one but definitely a negative.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries

I agree with the sentiment, but the reality is that it’s the equivalent of being able to sell your iPhone 11 for more than you can buy an iPhone 12 for, thus giving you a free upgrade and some cash back. In which case everyone would be doing it, you wouldn’t be able to get a new iPhone12 without going on a waiting list and iPhone 11 would be easily available in the used market but would be priced well above a new iPhone 12.

Sound familiar?

Assuming I could get 124060 at list today, I would. I would then sell my 114060 for market value, inevitably more than I just paid for the new model....

Craftsman
    I’ve now got 4 modern Rolex and I don’t consider myself ina Rolex bubble . The next watch I buy will be the one in my price bracket and the looks.
    The strong resale of them is just a handy by product that I’ve never utilised .

I do think there is a kind of mobile phone type upgrade madness going on with some though,
    Haha. I think you are on to something there. :)

Master
    I have a DJ41 & a James Cameron, that's all the Rolex I need. None of the other models appeal so I don't need to stress about them anymore.

The whole waiting list and AD ego polishing business to buy a new watch at present is nonsense. However, owning and wearing any 5 digit sports model is a pleasure. I'm very irritated that I can't get to try out any of the current range as I'm not willing to play the game, but it doesn't stop me enjoying what I've already got.

Craftsman
    They have for me. I have other brands in my collection but the same story for me as others have experienced. Got to buy watches you don't want to get the one you do.

So i've taken the decision to give up completely on them. And I won't jump through hoops for a 5167A either. Potentially getting an Omega Speedmaster next instead

Quote Originally Posted by EmilA View Post
    They have for me. I have other brands in my collection but the same story for me as others have experienced. Got to buy watches you don't want to get the one you do.

So i've taken the decision to give up completely on them. And I won't jump through hoops for a 5167A either. Potentially getting an Omega Speedmaster next instead
    Didn’t you just post this in one of the other Rolex threads?🤔

‘Fair enough. I was hoping to get something for the youngest addition to the family. AD knew but couldn't source anything that I wanted in time’

Master
    Absolutely. It seems that to buy a Rolex nowadays you either have to pay 2 or 3 times the RRP or give up your dignity and practically fellate an AD.

No thanks - I've no interest in their silly games and I'm sick of Rolex staff's condescending attitude when you express an interest in a popular watch.

I've sold all mine and now focus elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ddm27 View Post
    ...or give up your dignity and practically fellate an AD.
    In my case that would be the AD giving up their dignity. The AD I use is much better looking so probably lets me buy watches to avoid me making those kinds of offers!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Nope.
    Other people complaining doesn't put me off Rolex in the slightest.

I'm going to say yes.

First they randomised the serial numbers.

Then AD's retained warranty cards.

Now people are buying watches they don't want just to get enough standing to buy one that they do.

("Last week I bought a yachtmaster that I didn’t really want, just to boost myself up the list!")

source: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...T-Batman-Pepsi

I can only say again what I said there:

I'd call that an abusive relationship.

Imagine professional or personal relationship that went like this:

"I really want x [at work: a promotion, a good reference, that time off; at home: sex, him/her to stop hitting me, to be allowed to see my friends]. Therefore I will y [do whatever she/says, give them gifts, apologise constantly] in the hope that I might get x."

As long as x is a reasonable request, ideally one that you are entitled to or that should be part of a healthy relationship, then you shouldn't have to do y just to be in with a chance to get it.

Shopkeepers sell stuff. It's a simple transaction: you give them your money and they exchange it for goods. They have the right to refuse a sale or the item might unavailable. If that is the case then you go elsewhere or do without.

But this? This is something else.

Remember: Rolex create the scarcity. These are not "rare" perforce of being finite or having intrinsic value or because they hard to find / make. These are mass produced goods using established techniques and well-known (i.e. pretty ancient) technology. There is nothing about a Rolex watch that makes it worth ten grand, except their name and manipulation of the market. And yet people pay (in cash, kind and time) to be treated badly by the vendors? No thanks, I'd rather have my pride intact and a better watch for less money on my wrist.

One last thing: the hype. The Rolex mythologising, sorry advertising budget must be massive. That alone makes makes me wary of being "bought" -- another sucker sucked in.

Rolex is (so far) a good place to park wealth: you'll always get back at least what you paid. But markets can go down as well as up. Besides, they are (imho) the watch for people who don't know or care about watches. A true connoisseur or afficionado might well prefer something else.

Me? Omega, JLC, Nomos or a nice vintage piece. Two of three of them for the same as an overpriced Rolex. If I had the funds then maybe a PP or VC.

Rolex are good watches. Not great, but good. And, residuals notwithstanding, not worth the asking price.

If they reissued some of their back catalogue (the 5513 and 1016) at half the price of some of their bloated bling then hell yes! But their current models leave me cold. Status symbols and bankers' bracelets. No thanks!

A junior doctor earns 50k a year +/- 10k depending on seniority and the intensity of their job. At the top end of that scale, they're probably 30-32 years old and in the job for about 6-8years. If bad things happen at night with no consultsnt cover on site, they are making life and death decisions. After student loan deductions, NI, paye and pension, that probably nets them 2-3k a month. In a world where people are paying 20k+ for steel Daytonas

The world has gone mad

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    A junior doctor earns 50k a year +/- 10k depending on seniority and the intensity of their job. At the top end of that scale, they're probably 30-32 years old and in the job for about 6-8years. If bad things happen at night with no consultsnt cover on site, they are making life and death decisions. After student loan deductions, NI, paye and pension, that probably nets them 2-3k a month. In a world where people are paying 20k+ for steel Daytonas

The world has gone mad
    Paying more than a months wages is most probably considered madness by the non-WIS - actually paying more than £100 for a watch is probably considered stupid. (I know my mother thought my dad was mad getting his air-king-date back in 1978 for £250. Probably more than a months wages then for a lead laboratory technicians wages. I am sure she would think me certifiable what I spend on watches - god rest her soul).

But we (logged onto TZ) regularly do so.

Not limited to Rolex.

NB: now I’m living off my pensions, but I still buy watches - funded (mainly) by selling others.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 11th December 2020 at 14:19.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post

The world has gone mad
    Well put. It has gone mad.