closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Have Rolex cured you of the need to ever own a Rolex?

Have Rolex cured you of the need to ever own a Rolex?

They certainly have for me. I’ve been away from watches for a few years and the things I’m reading on this forum seem outrageous to me. And yet so many are prepared to jump through hoops in order to own one

Kind of...maybe. I've got a DJ41 that I'm happy with and will keep. I realise that modern Rolex are now out of the ballpark I'm willing to spend on a watch, especially with secondhand prices above RRP. Just means the games caused by demand outweighing supply go over my head. If you can't afford something or not willing to spend the amount to buy something you kind of stop desiring it. I don't blame Rolex or resent it, just the way it is.

Master
    Well - I'm fortunate in having experienced my first flush of Rolex lust in the 1980s. I went into a jewellers and bought a new GMT Master. A number of places in the same city centre had the same model (and a few others; Explorer IIs, Datejusts etc). Very easy, although spending nearly £700 on a watch certainly felt extravagant at the time. I'm also fortunate in that I still have it. I don't envy people who feel the need to acquire their first Rolex now.

The marketing might be very clever but the sense that buying one is some sort of rare privilege would put me off.

Master
    I have been looking at various different Rolex (all kind of similar to one another!), on here for the last 12 years or so, with different coloured bezels and ref numbers and read quite a few threads re availability, my AD said, got the call, investment etc etc etc..
    still no desire to buy one. I would say Rolex threads have ensured I never need to own one.

I would jump through hoop after hoop after hoops to own some of the Rolex range!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rolex lost my custom year's ago when they started putting on weight.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I hear they’ve been on a diet though

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    The marketing might be very clever but the sense that buying one is some sort of rare privilege would put me off.
    I agree entirely.

Post #28 here - https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=778119

Poe's Law and all that, but...

My story is not too dissimilar than ones you’ve read here.

Sincerity, persistence, passion.

This AD was the one who sold me my first Rolex. After visiting many ADs in my area (and having horrible experiences) I really connected with my SA. She is a wonderful woman to the core.

I visited the AD a few times since I purchased the watch to get small gifts for family on notable occasions.

I sent pineapples from Maui. I dropped off holiday baskets and bottles of champagne on a few occasions.

And then in August, for my anniversary, my wife gave the go ahead to ask for the Pepsi.

I text my SA and explained why I wanted the Pepsi and what it would mean for me. I specifically said “ I will only ask you this one time. How long do you think I will wait? At least 2 years?”

The response was “shouldn’t be”.

I dropped in to see them because we just got a puppy and they wanted to meet her. So I dropped in with the puppy and bottles of wine.

Fast forward to a week ago.

I brought holiday baskets, champagne, and chocolates for the rest of the team. (Scary story, on the way I was almost in a horrible car accident. Someone was going in reverse on the off ramp I just exited. I had to maneuver and the bottles of champagne broke in my car. I stopped at a liquor store down the street to get replacement bottles.

I purchased some small items for family gifts and left.

Anyway, I never did re-inquire about the watch any time I was there. I genuinely wanted to see how these folks were. They truly are “family” to me.

So the owner called me a few days ago and was very happy to receive the basket and champagne (she wasn’t there when I dropped in”.

She expressed that she would love to repay the gesture. I said “Well (SA) is aware of a way to repay it and I would much appreciate it when the time comes.”

Got the call today from the owner and SA and they sung the news to me.

Needless to say it was memorable.

I am a fan ...but we have clearly moved quickly from a Sub being a 2500 watch to a 7500 watch (pre premium)...and this makes them less toolish and more like high end accessories that you worry more about wearing due to potential for marking them or worse clunking one or dare i say theft risk, and hence many live in safes in the dark stores of value rather than enjoying them choosing to wear a ‘beater’ as a daily where once the Sub was king...and thats a shame.....

Pre 2010 replacing a Sub insert was a easy and cheap operation even a crystal was no biggy today a ceramic insert or crystal replacement is costly and seemingly a back to factory job without exception....

But none of that dulls the desire to obtain what are very well engineered attractive pieces that are still the benchmark toolwatch / divers watch....and whilst they aren’t the cheapest choice you know they will hold value and are pretty much the easiset watch to sell if you have a life crisis or change of direction...

I don’t mind them being impossible to get for me (even though I’ve spent £12,500 in the AD). I do shake my head when I hear people getting offered watch after watch. That sits badly with me.

Master
    Sold my Rolex. I think I was actually cured of my desire for them by this forum. Much of the association with them seems to be a high degree of exclusivity, greed, blatant profit making and Willy waving.
    Suddenly my hobby got cheaper too.
    Everyone to their own but I’m over it:)

SydR
    I own three, all purchase in the last 33 months, of which 2 are SS sports models. No hoops jumped through for any.

First was a short, 8 week, wait for a Sub from an AD with no prior relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    I hear they’ve been on a diet though
    So I'm led to understand, no longer "full fat" - more chubby chaser these days.

The more I read about Rolex the more I want an Omega

Quote Originally Posted by snedboy View Post
    Rather than being hung up on a name, just buy a watch because it's what you like.

Rather than being hung up on a name, just buy a watch because it's what you like.
    Indeed

Master
    Don't know what the problem is...walk into any Rolex AD choose the model you want...ask for a discount of over 10% and walk out with watch...Simples

Okay it was nearly seven years ago.

Craftsman
    That’s not dissimilar to what my wife say about me putting on weight ....

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Post #28 here - https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=778119

Poe's Law and all that, but...
    That story and the fact the guy isn’t subsequently mocked relentlessly is exactly why I stopped visiting US watch forums.

There is never a ‘need’ to own a Rolex.
    However people of weak mind who get influenced by views of others and are not blessed with a curiosity to actually know the facts often have their ‘want’ changed.

Most of the madness of course relates solely to brand new watches. Although prices have climbed steeply over the past few years, the 5 digit references are far more accessible and in a lot of people's eyes far more attractive watches. I would have included the 4 digit references in that as well, but they have really become an area were the buyer needs to do a lot of ground work before contemplating a purchase.

These watches are freely available at numerous dealers all over the country and the art is finding a nice example at a reasonable price rather than the fun and games that people go through to get their hands on the latest offering.

I enjoy seeing the latest releases, but rarely think about buying one as they are just not available to me unless I was willing to pay a premium from a grey.

I do think there is a kind of mobile phone type upgrade madness going on with some though, people who already own a 6 digit ref Sub looking to buy the new 41mm because it is 1mm wider and has thinner lugs than the one that they already own. Surely that's like selling your iPhone 11 to buy a 12 just because it's the latest model. That to me is bonkers, but it takes all sorts I suppose.

Wisdom. I’ve not been “cured” of any need to buy a Rolex because I’ve honestly never really wanted one. I understand the quality, the heritage, the status etc., but none of their designs has ever really spoken to me, so I’ve never wanted to have one.

Sometimes, looking at WIS forums, I wonder if I am broken in some deep-seated and permanent way...

I think part of the whole Rolex issue is they have become a store of value that is also easily traded and therefore has a relatively liquid market. People who otherwise might not have bought one, do so because of their investment value. This increases demand which outstrips supply and the situation gets worse.

Because they aren’t able to just sell over RRP, ADs use waiting lists and preferential customers to maximise their profit out of this situation.

Until something fundamentally changes in terms of desireability, I can’t see much changing in the near future.
    Last edited by Christian; 6th December 2020 at 10:58.

No I still find myself obsessed with them given they have so many iconic models.

I have a good relationship with the local AD and only pursue an interest in one professional model each year. I also turn down stuff I don't want, this summer I was called about a gold and steel SD50 which admittedly wasn't too tough to reject.

I finally ended up with a BLRO from them late last month and purchased a blue DJ41 in the Summer, but only because I wanted it.

Next year I really fancy the green bezel Sub so we will have to see how that goes.

In the meantime I satisfy my endless purchase cravings by picking up numerous Seiko's, mainly from the Prospex line.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Well - I'm fortunate in having experienced my first flush of Rolex lust in the 1980s. I went into a jewellers and bought a new GMT Master. A number of places in the same city centre had the same model (and a few others; Explorer IIs, Datejusts etc). Very easy, although spending nearly £700 on a watch certainly felt extravagant at the time. I'm also fortunate in that I still have it. I don't envy people who feel the need to acquire their first Rolex now.

Same here. Bought my first Rolex, a Submariner Date, whilst abroad in 1983. The cost of it cleaned me out, but I had it on my wrist and my God did it feel special!

Wearing it day and night for about 20 years, through life’s roughs and smooths, it never felt anything less than special, and still does!

Since acquiring several other watches, my Sub had a well earned rest and has a few outings a year. A few services at RSJ has ensured it’s reliability, and it looks as good as new.

My need for one was well and truly satisfied 37 years ago and now, although also owning an Explorer 1 and having this year bought my wife a classic OP, I’ve always had a take it or leave it attitude to buying another, I ‘don’t need’ another and would certainly not entertain a lengthy waiting list.

I actually do feel privileged to have bought and to still own that first Rolex. Buying myself another would be an anticlimax.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    I wouldn't go that far.

Blog Entries
    I was going to put the :yawn: emoji up - but couldn’t be bothered.

I own 4 now. 3 modern 1 vintage. The modern ones aren’t that special (well one is quite special), the vintage (1978) is.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 6th December 2020 at 11:48.

Master
    WISs are a completely different animal from normal people. I would guess that normal people represent about 99% of the Rolex market and the one thing that seperates PP and Rolex from the rest is that they both look after their brand and that protects their customers over the long term.

So Joe Bloggs buys a Rolex either by enduring a slog from an AD or paying the going rate from a grey dealer in the knowledge that his watch will always be maintained as new and the value will probably rise.

This make me very loyal to Rolex and there are millions like me.

Craftsman
    I have never seen a Rolex up close in real life - I don't know if they look at lot better "in the flesh", but from the pictures I have seen of them online they do not appeal to me. Add to that all the dealer shenanigans, and I think I am put off them for life.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    I don’t mind them being impossible to get for me (even though I’ve spent £12,500 in the AD). I do shake my head when I hear people getting offered watch after watch. That sits badly with me.
    Yes in that they have increased in price for reasons we all know yet the watches aren't rare. But when I read about that Hong Kong auction that sold the latest OP models I just think why bother.

Journeyman
    I bought my first Rolex sub way back in the early 90s from Second Time Around for about £600. That watch is long gone alas but I still own a couple of Rolex sports models and wear them all the time. I’ve always found their service team helpful and the standard of their work very good. I really like the products - tough, accurate (mine are anyway) and attractive. The hype I ignore although the brand was much more attractive to me when they used COMEX and Peter Scott as their ambassadors. Not keen on ceramic bezel inserts though and wish my SD43 was a bit smaller but I’ve got eight inch wrists and the watch is super accurate so hey ho.
    Thing is, I don’t want 20 watches and a couple of Rolex go a long way.

Journeyman
    I bought my first Rolex this year , a 2018 39mm Rhodium grey OP.Its a lovely watch finished to a very high standard but I have to admit ,had it a different brand name on it I would have passed.I have a good few watches from all the main manufactures , Breitling, omega , Tag , seiko,Hamilton etc but every time someone asks me about a watch they followed the question up with “Do you have a Rolex?”

Rolex marketing has consumers believing that if you have any passing interest in watches , then you’ve got to have a Rolex and while some watch collectors can see through the marketing for what it is, the majority can’t.

What a surprise, another snide thread about Rolex on here. People really need to get a life with more positive, healthy interests.

To answer the question, No - 10 Rolex and growing. Great watches, robust, and a safe investment - I do love 'em.

Journeyman
    I’ll admit that until I bought my first Rolex I always felt like a fake watch collector. It was an itch that really needed to be scratched. Buying a Rolex really had to be done. I’m glad I did.

Since then I’ve sold a couple of pieces and the only thing I have with a Rolex Crown on it is my Tudor Submariner...and that’s enough for me. Maybe I’ll get another Tudor Sub in the future, but I’ve no interest in the pieces Rolex release nowadays. There are far better watches for the price, that you can pick up with some amazing deals buying second hand...no premiums, no wait lists.

One thing the Rolex bubble did confirm for me is that I don’t see watches as investments, but things I love to wear and enjoy. That doesn’t mean not buying smart, I try to minimise the potential (future) loss on any piece when I buy it. But the key for me is enjoyment I get from it being on my wrist. I don’t care too much about it going up in value or what other people think anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I do think there is a kind of mobile phone type upgrade madness going on with some though, people who already own a 6 digit ref Sub looking to buy the new 41mm because it is 1mm wider and has thinner lugs than the one that they already own. Surely that's like selling your iPhone 11 to buy a 12 just because it's the latest model. That to me is bonkers, but it takes all sorts I suppose.
    Yep I put that in the bonkers category as well.

Although now you mention it, the idea has some merit...

After all you couldn’t sell an iPhone 11 for more than you paid, buy the 12 and still be in pocket.

Nope still can’t be bothered.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    What a surprise, another snide thread about Rolex on here. People really need to get a life with more positive, healthy interests.

To answer the question, No - 10 Rolex and growing. Great watches, robust, and a safe investment - I do love 'em.
    People do have healthy interests , just not the same as you. No need to get upset about it. Go and look at your watch box and be happy . I will do the same:)

The problem with Rolex are threads like these, if people didnt like how Rolex operate they wouldnt buy them. Problem is people seem to think if they join internet threads and throw enough toys out the pram somehow they will get what they want. Same people who moan about millennials and their sense of entitlement. There are hundreds of alternatives to Rolex including many who are far and above better than Rolex but strangely enough, I dont see endless "Just bought my Blancpain 50 fathoms...." Dont see too many of them in Friday threads or "What watch on your wish list" Or any other brand for that matter. If people were genuine about their righteous anger at Rolex the internet would be flooded with pictures of Omega, Breiltling, IWC, BP.... or any number of alternatives. Instead its full of people stamping their feet demanding what they want and they want it now!

And yes, I do own a Rolex. I bought it with little hassle, if there would have been a hassle I wouldnt have bothered and just bought something else. Hardly the end of the world stuff.

Firstly a thank you, it's Sunday and that means I should be wearing my Sunday watch not my GMT II beater.

I've just strapped my Tudor Blackbay onto my wrist.

I buy the watches that are in the shops or freely available from trusted online outlets.
    I think we should also clarify that when we say Rolex in this thread we speak of the "sports" models. Rolex watches are freely available to walk in customers at every AD. Maybe not the model you want but buying the brand is easy.
    Suffice to say I won't be buying fruit baskets and Champagne for any AD any time soon. I'll keep applying the golden rule. There are so many interesting watches out there that are not Rolex. I also fear that Rolex may have shot themselves in the foot. Most pepole who are looking to buy a watch in the UK will quickly come to associate Rolex with dressy and blingy. If they don't want dressy and blingy they'll pick a diferent brand. So Rolex, how long do you think you can sustain yourself by selling sports model to the chosen few? If the club is so secret and the cost of entry is so high then the market is going to be very, very small.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries

I agree with the sentiment, but the reality is that it’s the equivalent of being able to sell your iPhone 11 for more than you can buy an iPhone 12 for, thus giving you a free upgrade and some cash back. In which case everyone would be doing it, you wouldn’t be able to get a new iPhone12 without going on a waiting list and iPhone 11 would be easily available in the used market but would be priced well above a new iPhone 12.

Sound familiar?

Assuming I could get 124060 at list today, I would. I would then sell my 114060 for market value, inevitably more than I just paid for the new model....

Craftsman
    I’ve now got 4 modern Rolex and I don’t consider myself ina Rolex bubble . The next watch I buy will be the one in my price bracket and the looks.
    The strong resale of them is just a handy by product that I’ve never utilised .

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    The problem with Rolex are threads like these, if people didnt like how Rolex operate they wouldnt buy them. Problem is people seem to think if they join internet threads and throw enough toys out the pram somehow they will get what they want. Same people who moan about millennials and their sense of entitlement. There are hundreds of alternatives to Rolex including many who are far and above better than Rolex but strangely enough, I dont see endless "Just bought my Blancpain 50 fathoms...." Dont see too many of them in Friday threads or "What watch on your wish list" Or any other brand for that matter. If people were genuine about their righteous anger at Rolex the internet would be flooded with pictures of Omega, Breiltling, IWC, BP.... or any number of alternatives. Instead its full of people stamping their feet demanding what they want and they want it now!

And yes, I do own a Rolex. I bought it with little hassle, if there would have been a hassle I wouldnt have bothered and just bought something else. Hardly the end of the world stuff.
    This is a thread for people who don’t want a Rolex

People who want a Rolex don’t go around making a thread about it.
    There are plenty of watches I don’t want.
    Robert is right on the money even if it makes some people uncomfortable

I would say ‘need’ (as per your thread title) and ‘want’ are two different things...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aye, I got one long before they went crackers and would never buy another, but none of the bloated ceramic bezel ones interest me in the slightest anyway. I’d sooner have a Tudor.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post

Wow another snide thread.... I sold my Rolex when I found out that they were sourcing parts from China, never get lured into that rabbit hole again.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Vintage Rolex.

If Rolex were a brand new brand, they’d not even be Bremont. They’d be the relaunched Dent or the relaunched Favre Leube. Overweight, pretentious and unjustifiably similar to other, all too similar brands.

However, Rolex have history and a reputation built on immensely solid watches. If you buy the mythology then buy vintage, where the mythology actually has roots. Modern stuff is a homage to this. A homage that has missed the point. If it has an embossed rehaut saying ‘Rolex’, then it’s not really a Rolex in any sense that matters, except resale.

Anyone selling a 6098?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes but they live rent free in my head.

I can’t buy at retail and have no interest in trying foster a relationship to try and get the opportunity.

I can afford to pay grey but looking at a 14k hulk or what ever......a 7 k watch for 14k.....I prefer a 25k watch for 14k so stuck my recent money in an ALS. Have to appreciate how safe Rolex have proven though from an investment point of view.

I do think there is a kind of mobile phone type upgrade madness going on with some though,
    Haha. I think you are on to something there. :)

Master
    I have a DJ41 & a James Cameron, that's all the Rolex I need. None of the other models appeal so I don't need to stress about them anymore.