closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Laco Aachen with the optional movement & AR crystal upgrade (my htoughts)

Cool Laco Aachen with the optional movement & AR crystal upgrade (my htoughts)

For many years I've not been a fan of pilot watches, there was something about them that I just didn't like, the basic look to them, the almost clinical/military aesthetic. Roll on some years and I got the Tudor Pelagos, a watch that looks clinical/military in many ways and has a colour scheme that's equally under the radar. My tastes were slowly shifting as I got older...

Roll on some more years and many watches later I find myself wanting a pilot watch more than ever and it ended up being a toss-up between Stowa's Flieger Classic 36mm at £900 with some optional upgrades applied, or a Laco Aachen 39mm for a bit over £400 with some optional upgrades too.

I actually liked the look of the Aachen's Type-B dial more than the A on the Stowa, and at more than half the price, it made logical sense as I was also getting a 60 hour power reserve movement that was decorated nicely to boot, not as nice as the ETA Elabore in the Stowa, but still nice to look at.

I was frustrated though as no online reviews exist even today of the upgraded movement and crystal, and whilst there are discussions about them on forums, nobody seemed to be speccing these upgrades when buying one, so I had to do it.

It arrived and I have to say it's fantastic. The fit and finish is excellent quality, the case back is no longer polished like early Aachens were, machining and brushed finish seem to match up with much more expensive watches I have had in the past.

The AR coating upgrade is every bit as good as my NOMOS Ahoi Atlantik, maybe even a bit better due to being flat and the dial style but I sold the NOMOS ages ago so cannot put side by side. The spec sheet states the AR coating is in 13 layers, 10 at the top and 3 on the underside.

I also had the Flieger code engraved on the side (free) for that bit of a nod to the originals.

Movement wise, I've had watches with the Miyota 9015 and 9039 so am familiar with rotor noise which I actually quite like, at the moment this is running +6.1s a day and Laco do adjust/regulate all movements which is pretty cool at this price point.

Compared to the Original range B dials, I prefer this one's lume as all markers are lumed whereas on the Originals are not fully lumed from what I saw on Laco's site.

Anyway, very impressed, definitely a Flieger for life for me. If anyone else has one either early version or recent, then would be great to hear your thoughts.

It wears just like a 39/40mm should, some have said it's big for 39mm but I have a 38mm Baltic (39 with bezel) and had a 40mm Marloe Morar and this wears within those watches easily.

Laco have been responsive on social media to me too as I had various questions before buying, and they also re-shared some of my Instagram stuff too which was nice.

Quick vid showing the AR, lume etc:

Craftsman
    Looks fantastic, very seriously considering one of these now!

Quote Originally Posted by wombleh View Post
    Looks fantastic, very seriously considering one of these now!
    For the price it's a lot of watch I'd say especially with the upgrades added as it's still well under £500 for 60hrs power reserve thrown in!

I've now done a video review which may be helpful for some too!

https://youtu.be/uMRoYabZDaU