closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Apple watch G-Shock?

Craftsman

Apple watch G-Shock?

Was musing with a customer today, I wear a G-Shock when on site (or in the workshop). Pulling the phone out to check on an email (or most likely see a photo of the kids sent over by the wife) is a pain in the Harris.

Really, an Apple Watch would be great but one that can get covered in crap, dust, bashed about... Appealing to "lifestyle" weekend warriors who kayak, rock climb or whatever you'd think there'd be a massive market for their own version of a G-Shock.

There's good aftermarket case options for the Apple Watch that might help. I don't own an Apple Watch, but I've always been impressed with Spigen phone cases and these certainly look the part for £20!

Apple Watch series 6, SE, 5 or 4: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spigen-Rugg...dp/B085FS7VL6/

Apple Watch series 3, 2 or 1: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spigen-Rugg...dp/B075FJCM4G/

Last edited by M1011; 5th December 2020 at 21:36.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Nail on head. I’m holding off buying a smart watch until Casio finally realises that the 5600 form would make the perfect rugged choice.
    It can’t be much longer, surely!

Craftsman
    I'd seen those Spigen covers, well the customer I was musing this with yesterday sent over the details of them in fact! You're right, for the money (£20) they do seem the best option but they do still leave the "crown" wheel exposed to dust-no matter how good your dust extraction is it still gets everywhere!

It also doesn't seem to come with a screen protector although presumably you can buy an additional one that may fit?

It just seems a massive missed market for them, although they seem to know a bit about marketing so what do I know?!

... and it seems to be only for the 40mm models
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Apple watch G-Shock?

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    ... and it seems to be only for the 40mm models
    Looking on eBay, they’re available for all sizes. 38, 42, 40 and 44mm.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 6th December 2020 at 10:38.

Cheers. A bit surprising that Amazon says specifically that it’s 40mm only (usually they have a pull-down menu of some sort for sizes.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I think Catalyst are the best protectors. Cost about $60 but it doesn’t change the look.

Master
    I’ve been using an Apple Watch in a rugged armour case on sites for 3-4 years now never had an issue, you can get screen protectors etc if you want. I viewed it as I only ever buy the gps Alu version which is the cheapest one and I’m going to replace it every 3 years or so . For working on site with your hands I wouldn’t be without an Apple Watch as you say it just makes life so much easier a quick glance tells me if I need to get that call or answer that email right now or wait till later .

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    I’ve been using an Apple Watch in a rugged armour case on sites for 3-4 years now never had an issue, you can get screen protectors etc if you want. I viewed it as I only ever buy the gps Alu version which is the cheapest one and I’m going to replace it every 3 years or so . For working on site with your hands I wouldn’t be without an Apple Watch as you say it just makes life so much easier a quick glance tells me if I need to get that call or answer that email right now or wait till later .

As suspected then, great to hear from someone who is using as I intended. I like your thinking on getting the cheapest version for the same reason, buy it and use it and then likely trade up in a few years.

I suspect I'll probably get the cheapest bracelet 44mm series 6. Not exactly peanuts at £410 plus a rugged cover but being apple if it's left in half decent condition it will retain some value at the back end.

Craftsman
    Just an update on this, I'm happily wearing my Spigen "G-Shock-a-like" cover and strap for a few weeks, very good it is too!

One thing however, I bought a screen protector at the same time with curved edges which the cover doesn't seem to like. It's lifting it somewhat so you get some bubbles appearing (granted it cold have been put on without much care by yours truly). It also has black edges which cover just a fraction of the display edges.

Any recommendations for a better fitting one?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LaurasOtherHalf View Post
    Just an update on this, I'm happily wearing my Spigen "G-Shock-a-like" cover and strap for a few weeks, very good it is too!

One thing however, I bought a screen protector at the same time with curved edges which the cover doesn't seem to like. It's lifting it somewhat so you get some bubbles appearing (granted it cold have been put on without much care by yours truly). It also has black edges which cover just a fraction of the display edges.

Any recommendations for a better fitting one?
    I had a similar issue with a screen protector so never bothered with one after that, the Crystal has held up surprisingly well yes it’s picked up a few marks but nowhere near as many as I expected the raised lip does do the job well