closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Has this place changed you/your habits at all?

Has this place changed you/your habits at all?

I post this in Watch Talk as I would prefer to stick to watch-related stuff, rather than any dive into the internet and forums and characters there within.

So, fairly open question but has being a member here affected you in any way, horologically?

For me, there are probably a few but I just realised that since I read a thread a month or 2 ago on where to wear your watch - as in how high up the wrist - that I now wear my watch slightly differently than I always used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I have a hankering towards manual wind watches, and vintage to boot, but whether that's because of here, or the fact I'm getting older, I'm not quite sure.

Grand Master
    I think TZ drew me into dive watches and chronographs which I was never originally a fan of, I endedup buying a few divers but apart from one they’ve all been sold, I’ve gone full circle and over the last couple of years my focus has returned to 50s- 70s watches that would now be considered as dress watches. Omega Seamasters and Constellations feature heavily in my collection again, I’m back to where I was in 2007/8 when I joined TZ.

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    I post this in Watch Talk as I would prefer to stick to watch-related stuff, rather than any dive into the internet and forums and characters there within.

So, fairly open question but has being a member here affected you in any way, horologically?

For me, there are probably a few but I just realised that since I read a thread a month or 2 ago on where to wear your watch - as in how high up the wrist - that I now wear my watch slightly differently than I always used to.

I doubt I'd have bought 10 Rolex and 2 Patek if not for this forum. So, I should be thankful I guess (I've probably doubled my money ).

Master
    Being on here is an education in watches. It opens your eyes to watch brands you have never heard of and then you go down the various research rabbit holes. As a result I now have an appreciation for watch brands I had never heard of, more so than the main stream brands.

Not at all really, I like to read about and see a lot of different watches, pick up some knowledge, but I still like what I like.
    I've got quite a pronounced bone on my wrist so my watch sits above that, I've never thought to wear it any other way really!

Yeh, I had a stark realisation I was a Rolex fanboy. Thankfully the ridiculous situation with Rolex and the efforts you have to put in to buy one has made me realise there’s far better out there.

It certainly opened my eyes to brands I had never heard of, such as Sinn and Damasko, although those have never reached acquisition status. I tried to like NATO straps, but did realise I could change the strap the watch came with! The watch that I have that was probably driven by it’s forum favourite status is the Breitling Aerospace. Some of my choices have been made despite the forum, looking at you B&R!

Dave

Last edited by helidoc; 6th December 2020 at 01:02.

Master
    It means I’ve owned and learned a lot about watches in general and that I would never have heard of otherwise. Also lost a lot of money that I might still have.

But being right handed I am still perverse and wear (tight) on my right wrist.

Blog Entries
    TZ changed my watch buying habits. Learnt a bit too and some strange terms - pull the trigger; WIS; wear in good health; each to their own, and so on.

still wear mine above the US
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 6th December 2020 at 20:47.

Yes I used to have one watch. Now i have maybe 15, i dont quite recall the exact amount but it takes me over 2 weeks of rotation.

I used to buy new watches only, now used watches only except on rare sales of something where i will buy new.

Definitely changed me. I used to think each watch needed to serve a different purpose but after seeing the collections on here I've realised it's ok to just have dive watches in a collection and that seems to be what I concentrate on now.

No changes with regards to wearing watches. I bought a Rolex from HM about 13 years ago and he showed me in the shop how to wear a watch. It sounds sort of obvious, but since that masterclass I haven't suffered from things like crown imprints in the back of my hand.

After 5 years on here, several hundred watches and multiple brands, most of which I had never heard of before joining, I've gone full circle and am wearing a Rolex correctly placed above the US.

Craftsman
    Hasn't changed much. Bought a Smith's Everest, which I don't think I would have done if I wasn't on this forum. Not that I regret buying it though.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Yes. I now want more watches.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zenius View Post
    Hasn't changed much. Bought a Smith's Everest, which I don't think I would have done if I wasn't on this forum. Not that I regret buying it though.
    And I too bought a Smiths because of this forum. Like Zenius, I’ve no regrets (it’s an excellent watch).

I never want to own a Rolex.

Master
    Joined the forum after buying an IWC.
    Eventually I sold a Kermit on forum to Verv and had a F2F sale with her.
    She then sold me a vintage 1675.
    There was a watch chat set up with fellow idiots and my mortgage remains unpaid.

Craftsman
    I’ve rekindled a love for Seiko through this Forum. I always liked them in my younger years, and I’m back in the game. Since being on here I’ve bought a Sea Urchin to mod (great fun), an SBDC053 and an SKX is on the way.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

What’s the correct way to wear a watch, and what’s a US?

I think I wear mine in a fairly normal way but I do sometimes end up with the crown digging into the back of my hand.

Certainly spending time here or any watch fora influences your habits often in an imperceptible way. My buying habits don’t get easily influenced and remain in a stark contrast to what usually finds favor here.
    There is no single correct way to wear watches. Whichever way looks good to you and is comfortable is fine. Be it above or below ulnar stylus. I always find it hard to disagree with HM but this is one area where my views differ.

Master
    Blog Entries
    No changes for me.

I bought a NATO strap for my Submariner, tried it for a short while but much prefer bracelets.
    Non watch related, I’ve ordered some Red Wing Boots, a proper TZ cliché.
    Last edited by chrisparker; 6th December 2020 at 10:52.

This forum hasn't affected me with regards to horological purchases. It has broadened my knowledge on watch industry politics and I like the fact it's a lot more grounded than others.

Although I have considered buying an MX5...

It's helped me to expand my knowledge and made me far more aware of the marketing hype surrounding some watches.
    It's given me a good insight into ways that quality might be judged in a watch and made me question why the way a hand is finished in one watch might make it worth more than another due to the craftmanship that gone into doing it.

It's not made me a fanboy for the "popular" brands or models but it has strengthened my resolve that some brands rely on gimmicks or some imagined historical connection to sell their product.

I do also find myself constantly questioning the price difference of the various watches in the Swatch (insert big company name of choice) stable based on branding.

I definitely suffer from budget creep after spending time on the forum. The amount of money I’m willing to justify for a watch keeps going up and up

Turnover of watches has been higher as a result of watch forums. That said, I now feel settled and have no desire to add or lose any of my small collection.

Last edited by boris9; 6th December 2020 at 15:58.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I doubt I'd have bought 10 Rolex and 2 Patek if not for this forum. So, I should be thankful I guess (I've probably doubled my money ).
    Same for me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Being on here is an education in watches. It opens your eyes to watch brands you have never heard of and then you go down the various research rabbit holes. As a result I now have an appreciation for watch brands I had never heard of, more so than the main stream brands.
    !00% in agreement

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snedboy View Post
    I definitely suffer from budget creep after spending time on the forum. The amount of money I’m willing to justify for a watch keeps going up and up
    Curiously, this forum’s had the opposite effect on me. I’ve increasingly been able to identify lower-priced watches that give me higher satisfaction.

I learned that I have to obsess about every hairline scratch on my watch.

Craftsman
    I have to say I became hooked on watches largely due to this forum. I got myself off it for years but now I’ve started looking again ...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Up until a few years ago, I concerned myself not a whit about 'residuals' & 'what it owes me'.

This forum has changed all of that: I can scarcely take a bite from a Rich Tea biscuit without fretting about how I'm affecting my 'investment' in the packet & how it's not a 'full set' now that I've eaten one.
    ______

​Jim.

Before I stumbled on this place, I couldn't walk through a city centre without veering towards the window displays of passing watch sellers.
    Of that I am thoroughly cured.
    From time to time I'm no longer sure I even like watches.
    Last edited by forpetesake; 6th December 2020 at 22:22.

For me, joining this forum was about educating myself. I went through a definite acquisition phase when I purchased anything I liked; if Rolex made a GMT Master II Pepsi 16710 at 42/43mm I would be done. That was the most stunning watch but at 40mm was just too small for me and I sold it here a few years ago to a chap who was delighted and has done very well in terms of value - best of luck to him. I ended up with 28 'quality' watches and since then I've been on a drive to cut the collection and am now down to 8 quality/expensive watches and around 6 others that for various reasons are important to me. I've made a loss on just one watch, an IWC Portuguese Chronograph that I bought new (minus VAT) and sold as I just don't wear dress (style) watches as much as I love the design.

Master
    Like quite a few members here I joined the forum with a small collection (two watches, neither of which worked) and now have a much larger collection (probably twenty or more, some of which do work) What started as a simple quest to buy my first mechanical watch has ended up down a rabbit hole of wonder. And I am still falling down it.

I have learnt quite a bit about watches, not only about brands I'd never heard of but also how they work. I am learning to tinker with them which was another reason for searching out mechanical watches.

Probably the main change to my habits is passing by here far too frequently to see what has and hasn't been going on.