closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex walk in purchase ! Really?

Craftsman

Rolex walk in purchase ! Really?

So being still a little green to the world of watches and the so called dark art of the waiting list I popped into the ad in Cambridge this afternoon for a looksee and a chat with the staff who I’ve got to know over the purchase of 3 Sports Rolex and a couple of Omega’s for the good lady.
    TBH my last buy of a 50th seadweller left me a little bit cold. A lovely watch but ...... well you know when it doesn’t set you on fire like a nice watch should so the plan was to chat and see what is about and what sort of stocks are available .

They had two 41mm Datejust in stock one on a jubilee and a black face and the other blue with my usual oyster strap.
    With the good lady joining me from finishing her shopping she agreed that perhaps the jubilee was a little more feminine so I put a deposit down on the Oyster so I can sleep on it tonight and return tomorrow at 11:30 to finish the job off.

Any thoughts on the above watch ? A change of direction for me and to be honest one that I think I’m going to enjoy.

Master
    IMO the blue datejust 41 on oyster is one of the best “do it all” watches available. Would love to have one, a contender for a “one watch” collection! Well done.

Master
    I’ve gone from not being a fan of jubilees to really liking them, so if I were buying I’d go blue dial, fluted bezel and jubilee myself. Though I still think oyster bracelet looks really good too. Either way they are good choices. They might let you swap? My wife bought a DJ28 recently that was on oyster so they swapped it to jubilee for her.

Craftsman

This is my first attempt at doing a picture on her so fingers crossed.....

Craftsman
    This was the other choice but just didn’t quite do it for me. But the Jubilee is growing on me.

Can't really go wrong either way, but for me it's fluted bezel/jubilee bracelet every day of the week. That's a datejust.

Anyway, notwithstanding the above, well done. It's a lovely watch.

My preference is oyster with the smooth bezel and jubilee with the wg fluted bezel. In general I prefer the DJ with fluted bezel & jubilee over smooth bezel & oyster though.

Well, I never - an in demand Rolex in stock and available to buy! Congratulations.

P.S. I'd have gone with the blue too, more classy and flexible than the black. Good choice too on the oyster (fluted+jubilee for the ladies, smooth+oyster for men).

Craftsman
    Thnaks for the kinda replies all.

I was still a little undecided but I’m really starting to look forward to tomorrow !!

I’ll be contrary but I’m all for the oyster bracelet and fluted bezel on a datejust. It’s why the datejust sells so well with just a couple of variations the watch is changed completely to suit all tastes.
    However the thread was really about a walk in Rolex purchase and if you’ve walked in and walked out with the watch you want, well done.

Blog Entries
    I think the jubilee makes the DJ special. Oyster maybe is more 'practical'?

This is my favourite

for comparison:

All 36mm BTW - I think though the last may be 41mm - these were last August seems a lifetime ago (can't be sure about the last shot as it was in different shops)

OP: Good choice which ever you choose, can't really go wrong - I bet you'll be very happy! Congrats on grabbing a watch that will last you a lifetime.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 5th December 2020 at 18:29.

Jubilee for me too. It makes the DJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I am a big fan of jubilee and blue dial combination. Regardless the type of a bezel (though slightly leaning to fluted version).

Odesláno z mého BBF100-6 pomocí Tapatalk

Master
    I would go for the blue dial, fluted bezel on oyster if I had one again. I briefly owned the blue on jubilee with smooth bezel and it did feel a bit feminine to me

Master
    Blog Entries
    I really like the Jubilee bracelet, & it would have to be paired with the fluted bezel imho. They just go with each other. If I had the smooth bezel I'd pair it with the Oyster bracelet.

BUT.......I'd buy the Datejust 36
    Last edited by trident-7; 5th December 2020 at 19:18.

Blue dial in my opinion. I didn't think it matters re jubilee Vs oyster or fluted Vs domed bezel. They're all great watches and at that point it's personal preference.

Blue with oyster for me, I had that combo with a DJ2. I thought it was a great watch, I was very impressed with it.

Craftsman
    Blue dial is stunning “in the flesh”.

I recently bought a Blue Dial 36mm DJ, fluted on jubilee.....absolutely love it.

Master
    Jubilee with fluted bezel would be my choice, the smooth bezel does nothing for me.

I like the Jubilee bracelet on a datejust...

I did "register an interest" , in W.O.S. in Cardiff this week....for a 41 fluted bezel Datejust.....they did have a 36mm datejust in stock...I tried it on..for me though...it wore too small.......they did have a black dialed 41mm Datejust.........only trouble was...it had diamonds...I want just batons with a fluted dial....

Will I get one? Who knows! I doubt it...Saying that...before I "registered an interest" for a 41mm fluted bezel Datejust...a few days later, I got a phonecall asking if I wanted the 41mm Datejust with diamonds...Too "blingy" for me though.

Whilst I was there..........I was "shown" a Tag Heuer Aquaracer..(one Id already had and flipped) and a grey dialed Oris...I didnt want either of these of course......So I dont know if this will affect my chances of getting a "call"! lol.

I appreciate, many on here, (and elsewhere!) say that 36mm is the perfect size for a datejust...For me...it looked too small on my wrist......I dont have a big wrist...its 18cm...

However....saying that....Before I popped into W.O.S. I popped into a Jewellers to try on a 1988 36mm two tone datejust...It "seemed" to wear not as small as the 36mm I tried on in W.O.S.? I put that down to the 2 colours making it appear to wear larger?! I mean with the gold through the centre of the bracelet?! It didnt appear to wear as small?

Strange!

Craftsman
    Blue dial for me as well. I'd be buying one with the fluted bezel though...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by valleywatch View Post
    I like the Jubilee bracelet on a datejust...

I did "register an interest" , in W.O.S. in Cardiff this week....for a 41 fluted bezel Datejust.....they did have a 36mm datejust in stock...I tried it on..for me though...it wore too small.......they did have a black dialed 41mm Datejust.........only trouble was...it had diamonds...I want just batons with a fluted dial....

Will I get one? Who knows! I doubt it...Saying that...before I "registered an interest" for a 41mm fluted bezel Datejust...a few days later, I got a phonecall asking if I wanted the 41mm Datejust with diamonds...Too "blingy" for me though.

Whilst I was there..........I was "shown" a Tag Heuer Aquaracer..(one Id already had and flipped) and a grey dialed Oris...I didnt want either of these of course......So I dont know if this will affect my chances of getting a "call"! lol.

I appreciate, many on here, (and elsewhere!) say that 36mm is the perfect size for a datejust...For me...it looked too small on my wrist......I dont have a big wrist...its 18cm...

However....saying that....Before I popped into W.O.S. I popped into a Jewellers to try on a 1988 36mm two tone datejust...It "seemed" to wear not as small as the 36mm I tried on in W.O.S.? I put that down to the 2 colours making it appear to wear larger?! I mean with the gold through the centre of the bracelet?! It didnt appear to wear as small?

Strange!
    Posted in another thread myself that a DJ41 wore way bigger than I had expected. Never expected to prefer the 36 but was a no brainer when on.

Blue dial, fluted bezel on Jubilee would be my choice

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Jubilee is the nicest bracelet out there - just says Rolex in a classy way imo - enjoy whichever you choose

Blue fluted on a jubilee would be my choice. However, the white DJ41 white Roman dial, smooth bezel with jubilee looks absolutely stunning .

Journeyman
    Everyone is obsessed with Rolex, I serious do understand. Yes they are lovely watches but why the obsession and why are they for sale over there retail price?

Quote Originally Posted by roxylady View Post
    Everyone is obsessed with Rolex, I serious do understand. Yes they are lovely watches but why the obsession and why are they for sale over there retail price?
    Simple really. They have created a false market and made them “hard to get”. That creates the want what we can’t have! However I agree it is certainly at an all time ridiculous level.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by roxylady View Post
    Have to agree..and apart from maybe top end cars, or products built to order, what other brand or product do you have to pay over retail for and that's if your allowed buy one by the retailer..

Quote Originally Posted by Dakar View Post
    Have to agree..and apart from maybe top end cars, or products built to order, what other brand or product do you have to pay over retail for and that's if your allowed buy one by the retailer..
    Conflating two things
    You don’t/can’t pay over retail at AD
    ANd if paying gray prices, there is no ‘allowed to buy’ business.

Rolex walk in purchase ! Really?

Try not to derail the thread with the same old discussion time and time again.

If you don’t get Rolex, their prices, blah blah blah, hop off to any of the numerous other threads whinging about it.

OP was after opinions on his choice of those 2 watches, not the merits of Rolex and their pricing in principle.

OP - I reckon a datejust on jubilee has always been the definition of a Rolex for me.
    The oyster looks a little drab, perhaps?

As said before, jubilee and fluted bezel for the - this is a Rolex - look.
    Smooth bezel, if that is your bag, with oyster and a Black face will be a timeless look.
    Blue face is perhaps not for me.

Last edited by notenoughwrists; 13th December 2020 at 12:00.

Master
    Fluted and oyster is quite nice and most ADs will switch the bracelet a bit of change for the fluted just options. Buy the one that appeals to you.

Master
    I had a jubilee and non fluted dial and although it was okay, I think it’s worth spending a bit more to get the fluted bezel.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    Simple really. They have created a false market and made them “hard to get”. That creates the want what we can’t have! However I agree it is certainly at an all time ridiculous level.
    Not that different than when KFC ran out of chicken all over the UK. Demand went through the roof. People who never wanted KFC suddenly wanted it because they were told they couldn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Not that different than when KFC ran out of chicken all over the UK. Demand went through the roof. People who never wanted KFC suddenly wanted it because they were told they couldn't have it.
    Yep. I agree and I would still want the chicken, like I want a Rolex!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey;[URL="tel:5614065"
    5614065[/URL]]Not that different than when KFC ran out of chicken all over the UK. Demand went through the roof. People who never wanted KFC suddenly wanted it because they were told they couldn't have it.
    toilet rolls

I’m sure the OP is delighted with his choice

IMHO the perfect DateJust is 36mm, silver dial, fluted bezel and jubilee.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    toilet rolls
    Yep them as well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    I’m sure the OP is delighted with his choice

IMHO the perfect DateJust is 36mm, silver dial, fluted bezel and jubilee.

Dave

Yes this. it is a timeless design.

Craftsman
    I was about to post... funny seeing this thread. with covid, I had a lenghtly discussion with my AD over the phone last week and the lady was really pleasant. I'm now on the wait list for 2 specific items and she said it wouldnt be long (likely jan/feb) which is ideal and surprising.

My conclusion - will stay away from airport ADs and major city ADs from now on!

Master
    I bought a DJ41 last year for my 50th. I got a rhodium dial, smooth bezel & Oyster bracelet. I love the look of it & it goes with everything.
    I think that smooth bezel & Oyster is a bit less obviously "Rolex" than fluted & Jubilee, though there's probably not a lot in it.
    The only drawback is that in certain lights there's not much contrast between the dial & the hands & it can be hard to read.
    Overall though, I really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    toilet rolls
    Yes this. it is a timeless design.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by moynan66 View Post
    Blue dial is stunning “in the flesh”.

I recently bought a Blue Dial 36mm DJ, fluted on jubilee.....absolutely love it.
    The combo but with smooth bezel looks the business. On YT anyway

Master
    I prefer fluted on the 36 but smooth on 41. The 41 looked too big with fluted on my wrist.