closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Divers or rather Desk Divers with the Caliber 80 movement or other long PR movts?

Question Divers or rather Desk Divers with the Caliber 80 movement or other long PR movts?

This is my latest obsession of sorts, I fell in love with long power reserve movements after buying a B&M 5 days as well as a Tissot 80hr (sold that soon after as I felt dial was boring), followed by more recently a Mido Ocean Star that also has the same Caliber 80 movt. Now I'm considering letting go of another of piece in my 5-6 max. pieces collection to make space for possibly another desk diver with this movement, the big plus for me being the fact that these are so easy to wear in constant rotation, as I often do (alternating 2 watches through the week) since the long PR makes that possibly without the use of a winder which I'm not a fan of.

So wondering what is your experience with such models, seems more and more are being released by the mighty Swatch Group by the day, I was also strongly considering the Tissot Gentleman after seeing some cool video ads, but in person it did not make such a big impression, I'd rather stick with a diver design with rotating bezel. I was also looking at a sort of upgrade to the blue dialed Mido Ocean Star I have (model M026.430.11.041.00 ) to the Ocean Star Diver 600m which has the same type of movt but in chronometer grade, however having seen/tried that on in person, I really loved the ceramic bezel but I did not find it too comfortable as although the case is similarly sized, its weight/heft is much more significant, weighs 215gms on bracelet vs 165gms on the current model I have, which for me is already heavy enough.

Welcoming any suggestions as well as feedback in case you have owned the Tissot Seastar 1000 Powermatic 80 (this has ceramic bezel and its sold at a very affordable price) , or the Hamilton Khaki Navy Scuba which also comes with this movt, although so far from pics online I am not too impressed by the bulky, uninspired design bracelet on it (the Mido I have has a VERY nice bracelet for its price which for me is a top requirement of sorts).

So lets hear what have you and if maybe I missed any models/brands that come with either the same Powermatic 80/Caliber 80 movement or perhaps any other long PR movement that does not cost an arm and a leg? (my upper limit would be about £1200-£1300 and don't mind buying slightly used). For a while I was yearning after a Tudor North Flag or a Pelagos Leftie, but that train has left the station long ago as both have gone up and up in price to levels out of my reach.

Master
    I have the Hamilton scuba and can confirm it will last 80hrs
    The watch is very well built with a nice slightly domed crystal, which I like. It is a bit thick but wears very nicely and keeps good time. The only minus points are that the only polished parts are the highlights in the centre of the strap, and the fact that it doesn't taper as I would prefer.
    Overall, I think it's prety good VFM, or was when I bought mine a couple of years ago, helped by a voucher from mrs. Beanie buying a ring from the jewellers.

I think the Rado Captain Cook has the powermatic movt- I loved my 37mm Ghost edition.

The recentish upgraded Seiko 6R35 movement now has a reserve of 70 hours which introduces a load of watches into your price band.

However if you want to stick with the Swatch family and the powermatic 80 then I’d be looking at Certina. DS action diver or go a bit retro and grab a PH200, plus they have loads of others as well with this movement, I’ve always liked the look of the GMT.

I'd really like the GMT variation to appear in some smaller watches.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by catflap View Post
    The recentish upgraded Seiko 6R35 movement now has a reserve of 70 hours which introduces a load of watches into your price band.
    That’s great news, had no idea and glad to see Seiko keeping up with Swatch. Indeed this opens a whole new can of worms for me in terms of choices.