closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Another which car thread

Blog Entries

Another which car thread

Sorry. Have been out the car loop for some time but our current 4 year lease deal ends soon and the keys to our VW Tiguan gets handed back end of Jan. So I need a car, and actually just an interim car, as I'm waiting for my work to put the electric vehicle scheme in place but for one reason or another this is being delayed.

So in the meantime I need something to get by for, say, 3-6 months. Can be anything, but have the following criteria:

- Up to £8.5k budget
    - Automatic
    - Petrol
    - Strong residuals (want to recoup as much of the initial outlay as possible)
    - Easy to move on when time
    - 4 doors (have 2 young children)

Like most we aren't driving much, and no real need for loads of boot space etc et the moment.

Sorry for the broad requirements but I'm stuck. Thanks in advance.

Master
    I’ll get it in early, a Mazda MX 5

Something like a focus or golf bought right shouldn’t lose too much

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you are not worried about performance, I would say a Honda Jazz would work as an interim vehicle that shouldn't lose much value. Plenty of space and auto available

Subaru Outback (just to avoid me saying Legacy 3.0R spec B in every new car thread!)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    If you are not worried about performance, I would say a Honda Jazz would work as an interim vehicle that shouldn't lose much value. Plenty of space and auto available
    +1.. and by the time you come to sell, you'll have gotten the old people smell out.

Seriously though that's a good choice to fit your criteria.

Skoda Fabia with the DSG automatic gearbox.
    Excellent on fuel and reliable too. Keep there value also. Don't get a Ford focus or fiesta if you want auto. They are terrible on fuel especially the focus plus underpowered.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    - Up to £8.5k budget
    - Automatic
    - Petrol
    - 4 doors
    I suggest that you put those criteria into Autotrader website/app then take your pick.

Regarding residuals/easy to move on, either try and find something slightly older (so most of the depreciation has already been taken care of) or with a long (ie 7 year) warranty (ie Korean).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Subaru Outback (just to avoid me saying Legacy 3.0R spec B in every new car thread!)
    Well I had not dissimilar criteria to the OP and as you know *did* end up with a Legacy Spec B.

I love it and can actually see me keeping it a while. Even her indoors had admitted it's quite a nice thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Well I had not dissimilar criteria to the OP and as you know *did* end up with a Legacy Spec B.

I love it and can actually see me keeping it a while. Even her indoors had admitted it's quite a nice thing.
    Yep they are great!

Master
    BMW 330i estate

Craftsman
    Spend under that budget and keep it easily affordable when you want to unload it. Jazz,Note, any Kia.£5k should get you there.If you go Jazz auto just watch out for the classic first gear take up vibration/ judder.

Why not ask the company if you can extend by three months? Most seem not to mind in that they are still taking money from you and would be cheaper than doing what you are looking at?

Or look at a long term rent from Avis or hertz as would cover insurance etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like a job for a Golf.

Cheers,

Plug

Master
    Blog Entries
    GR Yaris in 2020 surely!

I think a mk7 golf would be just the ticket.

Master
    Lexus IS or GS depending on your size requirements - the older IS250 and GS300/430 are petrols but personally I'd go for one of the hybrids - yes the 'CVT' (not actually a traditional belt CVT) gearbox takes a little getting used to, mainly because it sounds weird but there's a lot of choice for your budget, the residuals are solid as long as you buy carefully, and the GS450h is a rocketship (if that matters to you). Needless to say reliability is a cut above (again buy carefully). Personally I'd avoid the older IS200/300 petrols and the 220/200 diesels, the diesels are abysmal and the petrols while massively reliable are either gutless or thirsty.
    If it was me with my sensible hat on I'd be after an IS250 with 50k miles from after 2009 (when the tax went down iirc) for between 6-8k depending spec / etc. I'd probably actually buy a GS450h from the mid 2000's with 80k miles and enjoy the acceleration.
    If you want something bigger then the rx400h is fantastic too.

Master
    Why are you spending 8k when you don't use it that much. An 8k car will be no more reliable than a 3k one but it will depreciate less. 3k will buy you a nice 10-12 year old V50.

If you’re waiting to go electric, why not jump the gun and buy a Leaf?

Master
    Why not approach any of the bigger car rental companies about a long term rental, that way you won’t have the problem of moving anything you buy on and losing money?

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    Why not approach any of the bigger car rental companies about a long term rental, that way you won’t have the problem of moving anything you buy on and losing money?
    As advised earlier - it’s cheap and easy as they cover d dry thing but fuel - even cheaper... extend your lease

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Plug View Post
    Sounds like a job for a Golf.

Cheers,

Plug
    This.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    As advised earlier - it’s cheap and easy as they cover d dry thing but fuel - even cheaper... extend your lease

Apologies, I missed that.

Blog Entries
    Thanks all, lots of great advice and plenty to mull over. I hadn't considered extending my lease, it's with VWFS and I had already extended it by a year from the original 3 year lease to what they said was the max they could extend it to. I'll contact them and ask.

Otherwise plenty of research to do based on the above!