closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Land Rover Defender Any Owners

New Land Rover Defender Any Owners

Evening All,

Just wondering if anyone has taken the plunge on a new Defender and if so how they are finding it?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I was going too
    But a few on here put me off. Ie reliability issues
    I drove the 2 lt model couple months ago. Nice car. But a little under powered.
    I’d go for the 3l personally

Master
    Love the look of it, and may do some day. There are a lot of ex demos available at the moment, but to get a decent spec they are very expensive for what they are. There is another long thread on here that’s worth reading, although not sure how much real world experience there is in there

Master
    Mine is due to be delivered to the dealer next week and to me a couple days later. 110 SE with the new D250 3l mild hybrid Diesel engine.

Can’t wait
    Last edited by Gurmot; 5th December 2020 at 14:08.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot View Post
    Mine is due to be delivered to the dealer next week and to me a couple days later. 110 SE with the new D250 3l mild hybrid Diesel engine.

Can’t wait
    Looking forward to photos 👍

Ineos Grenadier with BMW 3 litre petrol or diesel engines might be worth the wait.

Master
    I’ve had mine for a week now,its a 110 SE 240 diesel and I’m loving it.
    Completely different to my Q7 in so many ways but the few downsides are made up by all the upsides.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Went into a dealer today looking to upgrade my 10 year old Discovery 4 for a nice pre-owned Discovery 5, which I test drived but didn't like

Dealer also asked me to sit in the brand new 110 Defender for a look and play. Kind of wish I didn't

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Went into a dealer today looking to upgrade my 10 year old Discovery 4 for a nice pre-owned Discovery 5, which I test drived but didn't like

Dealer also asked me to sit in the brand new 110 Defender for a look and play. Kind of wish I didn't
    The Disco 5 isn’t a patch on the 4!

I’m curious about the Defender though....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    The Disco 5 isn’t a patch on the 4!

I’m curious about the Defender though....
    This was exactly my dilemma. After many years of LR ownership I felt let down and left behind after my outstanding D4. We went into the local dealership to try out the latest models and tested most of them but nothing clicked. I really didn’t want to like the Defender and it was the last vehicle we drove that day but it just felt right straight away.

I almost bought a preowned First Edition with less than 1000 miles on the clock but the dealer wanted almost the same as a new one so we decided to wait and get one fresh from the factory. As it turns out, this means we will be getting a MY21 car with the recently released 3 litre ingenium MHEV engine. Less than a week to go........

Master
    Do we have any LR Managers or main dealers on here who could help me buy a Defender spare wheel cover,my supplying dealer say’s they aren't allowed to.
    Seems the only option at the moment is to put an Urban branded one on which is strange marketing not wanting their branding on the back of the car.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SeePee View Post
    Do we have any LR Managers or main dealers on here who could help me buy a Defender spare wheel cover,my supplying dealer say’s they aren't allowed to.
    Seems the only option at the moment is to put an Urban branded one on which is strange marketing not wanting their branding on the back of the car.
    I believe there is a supply problem with wheel covers at the moment.

Think you have to buy the whole explorer pack to get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Think you have to buy the whole explorer pack to get it.

That’s what they are saying to me but I got it without speccing so seems quite unreasonable to me.

Master
    I believe there is a supply problem with wheel covers at the moment.
    The supplying dealer checked stock and tried to order it but they refused.
    A grey dealer has one,I ordered it and paid for it but when after 3 days it hadn’t arrived he said LR had told him he can’t sell it to me.

The supplying dealer checked stock and tried to order it but they refused.
    A grey dealer has one,I ordered it and paid for it but when after 3 days it hadn’t arrived he said LR had told him he can’t sell it to me.
    It's an attempt by JLR to stop look-a-likey situations by limiting the sales of items that are included in the various upgrade options. Porsche have done similar in the past whereby you are unable to order certain stuff without the VIN number of your vehicle. It's a nuisance, but not unheard of.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    It's an attempt by JLR to stop look-a-likey situations by limiting the sales of items that are included in the various upgrade options. Porsche have done similar in the past whereby you are unable to order certain stuff without the VIN number of your vehicle. It's a nuisance, but not unheard of.
    Thanks Chris,so all I need is the Vin number off a Defender on the forecourt or in the showroom that’s already got a wheel cover on.
    Seems like a crazy idea to me that they would rather have Urban branding on their cars than theirs though.

Thanks Chris,so all I need is the Vin number off a Defender on the forecourt or in the showroom that’s already got a wheel cover on.
    Seems like a crazy idea to me that they would rather have Urban branding on their cars than theirs though.
    Worth a shot - it is madness though.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    I saw something about them being available on Alibaba. Aftermarket but possibly from the Chinese supplier to LR.

Master
    Mine arrived at the dealer yesterday. Collecting on Wednesday.

Master
    This is what the Discovery 5 should have been.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    This is what the Discovery 5 should have been.
    As a former D4 owner I totally agree. The new Defender driving experience is very reminiscent of the D4 and it’s about the same size.

Blog Entries
    Mine arrived at the dealer yesterday. Collecting on Wednesday. ..............
    Looking good, hope all goes well with it, I'm sure it will. Think I prefer the look of that to the Discovery tbh.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    I agree with the comments in relation to the similarity with the Discovery,this was mine until my wife rolled it and it was written off:
    https://www.vehiclestats.co.uk/registration/L967PWR

My new 2.0 Defender is very similar to that but clearly the engine and electronics are far more advanced.

Master
    Collected my Defender today. The new 6 cyl MHEV Diesel engine is super smooth, quiet and punchy. Very impressed by the ride, the build quality and tech. Oh, and it’s BIG!

Blog Entries
    That looks really nice. Looks to have some presence. Is it an auto or manual?

Collected my Defender today. The new 6 cyl MHEV Diesel engine is super smooth, quiet and punchy. Very impressed by the ride, the build quality and tech. Oh, and it’s BIG!

8 speed auto presumably?

Any more pics of the mk1 RR next to it?

This Defender looks like something that should be in a James Bond movie. I owned a LR 1965 IIA for about 20years and really loved it. I passed it on to my father who drove it for 10 more years until the frame was too rusty to weld any more. Great machines. Congratulations.

Master
    8 speed auto presumably?

Any more pics of the mk1 RR next to it?
    Yes, they are all auto now.

As requested. She’s a 3.9V8 Vogue SE and will sadly be up for the new year.

Last edited by Gurmot; 17th December 2020 at 10:30.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nactex View Post
    This Defender looks like something that should be in a James Bond movie. I owned a LR 1965 IIA for about 20years and really loved it. I passed it on to my father who drove it for 10 more years until the frame was too rusty to weld any more. Great machines. Congratulations.
    The new Defender does indeed feature in the latest Bond movie. I also own a 1964 Series IIa - ex parachute regiment SWB.

Very nice. What’s the colour of your new defender?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Very nice. What’s the colour of your new defender?
    It is Eiger Grey.

I love those old RRs, they are class.

Craftsman
    Not often you see a Range Rover dwarfed!!

Master

My enduring memory of these, apart from them feeling like they were about to fall over when driven spiritedly, was the way the car would rock to the side when you blipped the throttle when stationary. That's what you call torque! Still brings a smile to my face.

Master
    2 of them in the M&S car park today. Parked next to each other.

They are MASSIVE wouldn't surprise me if they were bigger than a Q7.

Master

I love those old RRs, they are class.
    This era of Range Rover are cool. I really liked them. I saw one of the new Defenders at Cribbs causeway in Bristol. Looked like an inflated Citroen Belingo forte from the side:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I love those old RRs, they are class(ic).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperStripes View Post
    2 of them in the M&S car park today. Parked next to each other.

They are MASSIVE wouldn't surprise me if they were bigger than a Q7.
    I’ve just changed from the Q7 to the new Defender and its narrower and shorter and with the amazing camera system is much easier to park which was the worst problem I had in the Q7 .

Genuine question, why does anyone need to drive a car that big? My son has a VW Up! and I took it to the supermarket at the weekend as it hadn’t been started for a few weeks, and parked next to a Range Rover which absolutely dwarfed it. I got a weeks shopping in the boot of the Up! and my 6’ feet 2’’ 17 stones fitted so easily I could have worn a Top Hat and still not banged my head! A friend has a Q7 and it looked like a Star Destroyer parked on our Drive next to our the XC60. I should add I live in rural Norfolk so I get the 4x4 thing when the roads are slippery, mud covered and flooded during the winter (though most locals have no problems in a 10 year old Ford Focus). Is it something we’ve caught from the Americans or is it a rugged macho thing? Would I want one if I was 5’ feet 2’’ and wore heels on my cowboy boots?

Nice

Do you have any interior shots to share?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Nice

Do you have any interior shots to share?
    I haven’t taken any yet. Will see if I can tomorrow.

WOW love the look, reminds me of those Transformers, the Vogue looks so small in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    WOW love the look, reminds me of those Transformers, the Vogue looks so small in comparison.
    Does seem to have a smiley face!

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Genuine question, why does anyone need to drive a car that big? My son has a VW Up! and I took it to the supermarket at the weekend as it hadn’t been started for a few weeks, and parked next to a Range Rover which absolutely dwarfed it. I got a weeks shopping in the boot of the Up! and my 6’ feet 2’’ 17 stones fitted so easily I could have worn a Top Hat and still not banged my head! A friend has a Q7 and it looked like a Star Destroyer parked on our Drive next to our the XC60. I should add I live in rural Norfolk so I get the 4x4 thing when the roads are slippery, mud covered and flooded during the winter (though most locals have no problems in a 10 year old Ford Focus). Is it something we’ve caught from the Americans or is it a rugged macho thing? Would I want one if I was 5’ feet 2’’ and wore heels on my cowboy boots?

You make a fair point. These cars are a pain in car parks - just too wide for the spaces. I have a Discovery 5 and am thinking about scaling down. The appeal for me is that they feel ultra safe on the motorway, even in crappy weather and then there's the knowledge that no matter where you want to go, with how many people or with how much stuff, it will do it. 95% of the time, none of this is relevant though.

Blog Entries

Genuine question, why would anyone want an XC60, when a VW Up will carry a weeks shopping and someone 6' 2" and 17 stones?

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Genuine question, why would anyone want an XC60, when a VW Up will carry a weeks shopping and someone 6' 2" and 17 stones?
    When one is a family car, and one is a cheap first car for my son to learn in!
    I have to admit, for trips to town the Up! Is brilliant - ridiculously roomy and I’ve parked it in spaces I’d never usually attempt - it does Urban driving brilliantly but a bit hairy on a motorway, whereas the Volvo is a great long distance cruiser with comfy seats but has the turning circle of a bus. I have to admit having an SUV, a convertible and a city car to choose from makes it easier to match the car to the journey. The SUV is the one I like the least and can see it being my last tbh, I don’t find them particularly comfy, roomy or nice to drive - apart from the higher driving position everything else is a compromise.

Apprentice
    I quite like the new one! It's much more modern and civilized than the brutish outgoing one...

Good question. Have you tried fitting two newborn child seats in the back of your up? Then have two adults in the front. With the addition of a pram in the boot and a dog?That’s my starting point. Next point is getting said new borns In and out of seats in the rear. Third can you do all of this and get to the south of France with clothing and bedding for two weeks. Finally and most Importantly point for me is safety. My partner covers circa 70 miles a day on motorway and country roads. From my view point I feel an SUV is the safest option for her to do that. Everybody has different view points and priority’s I am quite happy in a small hatchback day to day when we aren’t mobilising the family it just would not work when trying to combine all of the above?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    When one is a family car, and one is a cheap first car for my son to learn in!
    I have to admit, for trips to town the Up! Is brilliant - ridiculously roomy and I’ve parked it in spaces I’d never usually attempt - it does Urban driving brilliantly but a bit hairy on a motorway, whereas the Volvo is a great long distance cruiser with comfy seats but has the turning circle of a bus. I have to admit having an SUV, a convertible and a city car to choose from makes it easier to match the car to the journey. The SUV is the one I like the least and can see it being my last tbh, I don’t find them particularly comfy, roomy or nice to drive - apart from the higher driving position everything else is a compromise.

Ah I see, different cars have different attributes and capabilities.
    Seems you answered your own question there.