closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Worth fitting a car tracker?

Worth fitting a car tracker?

I have been recommended these,
    https://www.trackerfit.co.uk/

Are they worth it? My car has a tracker of sorts already through an app but these seem to have some benefit to the insurance.

Would be interested in your thoughts.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Master
    My real experience of trackers and insurance is the companies offering a discount for the fitment and operating of a unit never worked out the cheapest.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    My real experience of trackers and insurance is the companies offering a discount for the fitment and operating of a unit never worked out the cheapest.
    Thanks. Do they offer any security benefit?

My insurance company insist

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Thanks. Do they offer any security benefit?

Not generally other than increasing your chance of recovery, although some include thatcham approved immobilisers. Use them in tandem with things like Ghost etc.

So many to choose from now. Used to be just 'Tracker'!

Quote Originally Posted by SNA View Post
    Not generally other than increasing your chance of recovery, although some include thatcham approved immobilisers. Use them in tandem with things like Ghost etc.

So many to choose from now. Used to be just 'Tracker'!
    Well recovery would be better than having to claim on insurance and then suffer punitive inflated premiums for years.

What's Ghost?

The ones on that website are Thatcham approved, whatever that means...

Master
    These days you need a "cat" tracker! Thefts of catalytic converters are on the rise as they can sell for several hundred pounds in scrap precious metals.
    https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...r-thieves.html

Ghost is an imoobolissrcsystem personalised to only you whereby you set a pattern of buttons to press in sequence before starting the car
    Eg; volume down, volume up, two presses of the hands free and another press if the volume down
    It’s v reliable.... right? But it’s a right f pain in the arse in real world terms each and every single time you have to do it.....

Also - recovery of a vehicle.... if they don’t get there in time... there’s not much to recover

I wouldn’t bother

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    These days you need a "cat" tracker! Thefts of catalytic converters are on the rise as they can sell for several hundred pounds in scrap precious metals.
    https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...r-thieves.html
    So I understand but I'd rather replace something at a few hundred pounds than a whole car...

Master
    So I understand but I'd rather replace something at a few hundred pounds than a whole car...

I’d prefer not to have the car returned if stolen, and have a claim for the car itself. My insurance insists on a tracker too

Master
    I have trackers in my bikes and they’ve been useful for insurance discounts. The systems works well and can alert any movement or geofencing. I know they do quads and I think they do cars but a grey service.

I use Biketrac

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    Ghost is an imoobolissrcsystem personalised to only you whereby you set a pattern of buttons to press in sequence before starting the car
    Eg; volume down, volume up, two presses of the hands free and another press if the volume down
    It’s v reliable.... right? But it’s a right f pain in the arse in real world terms each and every single time you have to do it.....
    Imagine having to remember that when you're p!ssed...

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    I’d prefer not to have the car returned if stolen, and have a claim for the car itself. My insurance insists on a tracker too
    Really? Will make your insurance premiums rocket.

Master
    I've had a few trackers when insisted upon, and have debated with myself when I've not been required to fit one.

If my car was nicked by some scrote I'm not sure I would want it back. It for sure would never be the same. So my conclusion was not to have.

However, with modern tech it's great being able to see where your car is, and track your journeys. Ironically on my last car, a Range Rover, I could track 24/7 yet one insurer refused to cover me unless I fitted a tracker - FFS???? I just went to a different insurer.

Now that I have a car that I can't always check up on via an App I feel a little out of control, but I just need to return to being normal... just locking it and leaving it and getting on with life, like the good old days.

As for Ghost - that's the kind of thing that'll have some thieves pointing a knife/machete/gun at you/your wife until you unlock it. There are some horror stories out there, in the UK. Check out forums for swanky cars and they'll all have some threads.

There are probably as many (or even more) instances of ordinary cars being nicked/drivers being targeted as there are for fancy cars, so we should all get some perspective.

Master
    Really? Will make your insurance premiums rocket.

All claims will make them go up. I don’t particularly want my car back once it’s been nicked and ragged by some thief

Yup I have the tracking functionality already through an app so not sure what extra this gives.

If the car were stolen I would much rather have it back, have it cleaned etc. Then if I dealt couldn't handle owning it any more, at least it could be sold for value.

Master
    A little tracker story...

Neighbour up the road (Ron) runs a building company with his brother. The brother looks after vehicle purchases vans, pickups etc and also their own cars.

Last year he bought himself a new Subaru, and Ron a new Audi Q5RS. Within a month the RS was stolen with keys following a house break in.

Ron reported to the police and thought he’d never see his car again. A few hours later Ron gets a call from his brother asking did he inform the police of the tracking device? What tracking device? was Ron’s reply.

Turns out his brother specced the car with a tracker and forgot to tell Ron. Once informed Police found the car the same day. No damage.

The thieves were aware that there may be a tracker, and had parked it up down a quiet road, I suspect to return to it once they'd established if it was tracked or not.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post
    Now that I have a car that I can't always check up on via an App I feel a little out of control, but I just need to return to being normal... just locking it and leaving it and getting on with life, like the good old days.
    I miss the ability to see where my car is / how much fuel it has without being with it, strange things you miss eh!

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post

The thieves were aware that there may be a tracker, and had parked it up down a quiet road, I suspect to return to it once they'd established if it was tracked or not.
    That is the best result you can get with one - if they go straight into a container, you have no chance tracker or no tracker.

I have never been forced to have one insurance wise, was surprised there wasn't a requirement with the M4 and the lovely comfort entry allowing thieves to easily access you car. Hated having a faraday bag to store keys in & glad the Porsche didn't get specced with such silliness!