closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Wifi channels 2.4 and 5ghz

Wifi channels 2.4 and 5ghz

I致e been faffing around with a rgb light bulb for the boys bedroom today and it only works on 2.4GHz, which is fine, I have a dual band router, but going through the broadband app (Vodaphone) I have noticed that all my devices , 15 of them, are running on the same 2.4ghz, I知 guessing this sub optimal for speeds? I guess I can connect half of them to the 5ghz channel by selecting the wifi network with the slightly different Id, bit of a faff inputting the password again though. Should I make the effort?
    Cheers..
    Jase

Are you sure they're not automatically switching between the two bands depending on usage? On my Plusnet router, that's the default - you have to intervene to separate the automatic access to the two bands, rather than enable it.

No idea to be honest Hugh, I値l have another look in the settings.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Thinking about it, my experience may be because of a limitation of this router; the only way I could assign a suitable device (e.g. TV as it's right next to the router) to the 5 GHz band was to basically create two separate WiFi networks (one 2.4 GHz, the other 5 GHz). But doing this prevented the seamless switching between bands that the other devices were doing. Routers are so incredibly varied that yours may well be able to do this?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Most relatively modern routers have bascially two options:

(1) Use the same SSID and password for both 2.4ghz and 5ghz and allow your devices to switch. The problem here is that devices can be "sticky" and not switch even if 5ghz would be beneficial.

(2) Use separate networks and sign in to the one you want. Problem here is obvious, if you are on the 5ghz and wander out of optimal range you'd have to switch to 2.4ghz manually.

There are several technical ways to get around this all, but suffice to say nothing I'd recommend for anyone non-technical.

If you have GOOD coverage of 5ghz or the devices never move far from the router (such as TV/streaming devices etc) then I'd recommend switching to seperate networks. Smart devices tend to use 2.4ghz because a reliable conneciton at what could be a long way through several walls to the router/repeater is more important than high bandwidth.

Thanks for detailed reply, I think I have just used the 2.4 for everything as the SSID for the 5ghz network has a slightly different name but the same password. If I change it to the same SSID then I値l be on option 1 in your options, I think I値l manually change the fixed static devices to the 5 network, the PC, TV, Nest and leave the mobile devices on 2.4. That sound about right?
    Or just leave it as it is as it seems to cope ok.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    I'm with Plusnet and was told that 2.4 was better for distance from the router but at the expense of a slower/weaker(?) signal.

This tells you how to split on a Plusnet router. Assume it's similar on others.

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Rou...z/td-p/1709284