I’m quite new to mechanical watches, I’ve had quartz (mostly Seiko and Citizen) for most of my life.

A couple of years back I did buy a Seiko SKX007 to see if I could get on with less precision. Actually, although not certified, it runs within COSC, and I didn’t find the slight inaccuracy a problem. What stopped me wearing it was the weight,I couldn’t get it to sit right on my wrist. So it has been sat in the draw for some time and I back with a pretty old Seiko kinetic - must get round to selling the SKX007.

Anyway, the reason I’m posting is that I am looking at Flieger watches, not decided on type A or B yet. The reason is that I am a fan of military history and aviation and like the styling. I’d like to get it as representative as possible, but happy to compromise - I wouldn’t go as far as a 55mm with an extra long strap to wear over my coat :)

Looking at the options, I can have the original model/serial number engraved which I will probably do.

The other is a manual wind option.

Not sure about this, I have google and read articles about the differences between manual and automatic, I understand those and I can see there are fans of both.

I just wondered what it is like owning a manual winder

Is it an inconvenience, or does it just become a routine in the morning
Would it mean that if I took it off and left it on the shelf overnight it would lose/gain time because it is stationary
Do you have to pull the crown to wind

Cheers,

Nigel