closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watch repairer damaging the watch he was meant to service.

Watch repairer damaging the watch he was meant to service.

Hi all, looking for a bit of advice.

My Seiko SARB 033 was losing a bit of time, so back in July I decided to put it into a local independent watchmaker for a movement service.

3 months later I got the call that my watch was ready so I promptly when to pick it up. Upon collection I first noticed a big bit of fluff on the dial, not great. I then saw that the tip of the second hand had been bent!

I explained my observations to the watchmaker who conceded they yes he had accidentally let fluff get into the dial and that he must have slightly bent the second hand when brushing it (don’t really know why it needed to be brushed). He said that he would attempt to repair the hand or order a replacement.

6 weeks later I phoned the shop for an update. I was told that he was struggling to get a replacement hand and was still waiting to see if he could get one from America (timescale indefinite). I asked what he proposed if he could not source one to which he replied, “I could stick on a plain hand”. I obviously told him that this was unacceptable and said that if could not get the appropriate hand I would be looking for not only a refund on the service but also compensation for the damage to the watch. He helpfully replied “well you’ll not be getting that”.

At the end of the day I entrusted him with my watch and he has damaged a part that he can’t replace.

I was looking for some advice on where I stand with this? Any help would be gratefully received.

I haven’t named the watchmaker. However if I fail to get a satisfactory resolution then I’ll let you all know.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obviously a question for the watch repairers here to answer, but presumably if they are a business they will have insurance cover for such things?

If so, he should offer to replace the watch if he cannot make good due to unavailability of some parts.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 2nd December 2020 at 20:20.

Blog Entries
    Without knowing the details you may need to seek legal advise.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/co...out-a-service/

You may want to get a (professional) second opinion who can estimate cost of remidaition (and agree with the original watchmaker who pays for this to be done). Have you paid for this work? If so with CC then if it's over £100 you can use Section 75 (?) to get your money back, or chargeback if a debit card.

I am sure there are a few lawyers here that can provide further insights?

Martyn

Master
    You need to specify a resolution date to him at that point he has either satisfactorily repaired the watch or you can reclaim your watch and start a claim against him.

as a business you should be able to claim against his insurance.

hope you get it sorted

At minimum, I would expect the watchmaker to correct the problem. Otherwise he should source a new/same condition watch and keep your watch and stick the plain hand on it.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Without knowing the details you may need to seek legal advise.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/co...out-a-service/

You may want to get a (professional) second opinion who can estimate cost of remidaition (and agree with the original watchmaker who pays for this to be done). Have you paid for this work? If so with CC then if it's over £100 you can use Section 75 (?) to get your money back, or chargeback if a debit card.

I am sure there are a few lawyers here that can provide further insights?

Martyn
    I paid £75 for the movement service, left the shop and went to my car where I noticed the damage to the watch. I then went straight back in and brought it to their attention.

I would be satisfied-ish if he could get a replacement hand however I’m honestly not that hopeful. Even with that, it has still tarnished the watch a bit for me.

Does anyone else know of a good watchmaker based in or around Edinburgh that could provide a second opinion?

That’s for all the advice so far.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistolpete21 View Post

Does anyone else know of a good watchmaker based in or around Edinburgh that could provide a second hand opinion?
    FTFY

Apologies for the crass joke, however i would think about sending it off to one of the reputable watchmakers on here for a true and honest opinion.

Could a solution be to agree to send the watch to Seiko UK for repair and work out between you who pays what.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Could a solution be to agree to send the watch to Seiko UK for repair and work out between you who pays what.
    That can be an option I put to him.

Master

You would be entitled to the cost of another watch repairer to supply and install a replacement hand. The service was work the guy did and unless that work was evidenced as being shoddy you should not be entitled to the free service.

A bit like if you put your car in for a service and they bend the windscreen wiper.

Master
    Did you entrust your watch to the old boy in the little shop of horrors near the Scottish Parliament building?

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Did you entrust your watch to the old boy in the little shop of horrors near the Scottish Parliament building?
    No, a shop a bit nearer the seaside.

A hilarious little place, it just isn't possible for that place to exist in that location... yet it does!

Last edited by Papa Hotel; 2nd December 2020 at 21:38.

Possibly Dundas Street?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    A hilarious little place, it just isn't possible for that place to exist in that location... yet it does!

I ventured in there one afternoon last year as I wanted some links taken out of a watch bracelet. Even on a sunny day the interior of that place was as dark as Hades. A few dismantled clocks lying around but nothing else. Toxic wallpaper peeling off the walls and rancid carpet. I knew I shouldn’t have stepped inside.

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Possibly Dundas Street?
    No, not one on Dundas St either.

Master
    No, a shop a bit nearer the seaside.

Not the clock repairer in Broughton Street? On a clear day you can see the Firth of Forth from there.

Not the clock repairer in Broughton Street?
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post

In all my time in Edinburgh I never noticed that place! But saying that, the only time I was around that area was to go to the Holyrood Tavern. And I often left that place quite ‘tired’.

I'd really suggest trying to work towards an amicable solution. It sounds like he's trying to source a part, if you (or anyone here) knows of a part source then offer than info perhaps?

I think the important thing to remember here is that he didn't damage your watch on purpose. That doesn't make it right, you paid for the job and he's a professional, but people make mistakes and that's what we have here. If it was me I'd work with him to try and get the thing solved as much as possible before resorting to anything more drastic, as otherwise the amount of stress you're going to cause yourself over a second hand is going to be disproportionate in the end!

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    I'd really suggest trying to work towards an amicable solution. It sounds like he's trying to source a part, if you (or anyone here) knows of a part source then offer than info perhaps?

I think the important thing to remember here is that he didn't damage your watch on purpose. That doesn't make it right, you paid for the job and he's a professional, but people make mistakes and that's what we have here. If it was me I'd work with him to try and get the thing solved as much as possible before resorting to anything more drastic, as otherwise the amount of stress you're going to cause yourself over a second hand is going to be disproportionate in the end!
    Sounds like more than a mistake. It sounds like the guy didn't have a clue what he was doing and shouldn't have been anywhere near the watch.

How much is a new SARB 033?

I ventured in there one afternoon last year as I wanted some links taken out of a watch bracelet. Even on a sunny day the interior of that place was as dark as Hades. A few dismantled clocks lying around but nothing else. Toxic wallpaper peeling off the walls and rancid carpet. I knew I shouldn’t have stepped inside.
    You could have popped into the cafe on the corner next door for an afternoon snack. They must have great customer service, as they're not winning customers on appearance.

OP - did you choose the watchmaker based on recommendation? Just wondering if your poor service was out of character. I don't use local watchmakers so can't comment from personal experience.
    Last edited by jukeboxs; 2nd December 2020 at 23:16.

I'd walked past it hundreds of times before I realised it was even a functioning business, I thought it was one of those long forgotten time-warp empty shops.

I never dared set foot inside, kudos to you for doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Sounds like more than a mistake. It sounds like the guy didn't have a clue what he was doing and shouldn't have been anywhere near the watch.

How much is a new SARB 033?
    Work on enough watches and some will go wrong, sods law right? Guys doing £75 services, he's in the stack-em-high game.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    You could have popped into the cafe on the corner next door for an afternoon snack. They must have great customer service, as they're not winning customers on appearance.

OP - did you choose the watchmaker based on recommendation? Just wondering if your poor service was out of character. I don't use local watchmakers so can't comment from personal experience.
    Yes the guys was recommended to me so I’m sure most of the time he probably does a good job.

The problem is that this time he definitely hasn’t done a good job and his attitude towards it stinks. He basically suggested, I’ll stick a different hand on it, what’s the problem!?

At the end of the day I would just like the watch back in working order with an appropriate second hand. If he can’t do this then I need to see what my options are.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Work on enough watches and some will go wrong, sods law right? Guys doing £75 services, he's in the stack-em-high game.
    Like I say, he shouldn’t really be anywhere near them. Fists of ham.

I’d put it in writing to him via recorded delivery a walk through of the account of waft has happened to date
    Your proposal with a timescale and limit
    If not kept yo next step

Your saviour here will be the small claims court if needed
    The guy should also be insured I’d have hoped

Keep a copy of the comms
    Assume you have a “before” pic of the watch?

I sent a couple of watches down to Seiko UK earlier this year and the service was great, they turned the watches around in about 10 days and they will have all the spares.

As stated, anyone offering a £75 service isn't going to be at the quality end and probably best avoided. We have one of those old gits near to us, been in the business for years, knows everything about everything, so I gave him a cheaper watch and a mantle piece clock to service and both no longer work.

Get the watch down to Seiko and write off the experience as a life lesson

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    I’d put it in writing to him via recorded delivery a walk through of the account of waft has happened to date
    Your proposal with a timescale and limit
    If not kept yo next step

Your saviour here will be the small claims court if needed
    The guy should also be insured I’d have hoped

Keep a copy of the comms
    Assume you have a “before” pic of the watch?

Stop, just stop.

😉

I don’t like the fact he put it back together and hoped you wouldn’t notice. I’d be far more sympathetic if he phoned when it happened and explained. Take him to the cleaners.

I think theres a fundamental difference between what you are expecting from this watchmaker and what he provides as a service.

If he is proposing it's acceptable to replace the second hand with a generic one, it suggests to me he is merely concerned with making watches functional. Its a bit like Timpson...you don't take your Breitling for a battery change there because you'd know theres a good chance they will be treating your watch like the reheeling of a shoe and the chances of it coming back with a scratch on the caseback or screw head are high...even though the battery will be changed and the watch functioning.

I've been into these places before and witnessed people get minor stuff like bracelet adjustment and watched as the timepiece is slapped on the counter by the watchmaker with no protection. Nobody really cares because they aren't WIS with obsessions about watches...as long as they work, a minor imperfection like a scratch is fine. These aren't the places for most people here on TZ.

The watchmaker is probably thinking why is this guy making all this fuss over a Seiko.

Send it back to Seiko and treat it as a lesson learnt. I don't think you'll see eye to eye with the watchmaker on this.

Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    I don’t like the fact he put it back together and hoped you wouldn’t notice. I’d be far more sympathetic if he phoned when it happened and explained. Take him to the cleaners.
    Genuinely wonder what you are imagining by "take him to the cleaners"? Do you mean go to small claims court and after a lengthy process, at best, get back the RRP for a Seiko that you can no longer get hold of any more at RRP or, more likely, get some kind of judgement to get the watch restored and the second hand replaced?
    Last edited by Christian; 3rd December 2020 at 10:25.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    Stop, just stop.

But I want to hear an account of his waft and yo next step

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Genuinely wonder what you are imagining by "take him to the cleaners"? Do you mean go to small claims court and after a lengthy process, at best, get back the RRP for a Seiko that you can no longer get hold of any more at RRP or, more likely, get some kind of judgement to get the watch restored and the second hand replaced?
    Just a phrase. I'd probably burn his shop down, at least.

Just a phrase. I'd probably burn his shop down, at least.
    Ha ha!

Grand Master
    Ensuring that dust or small fibres don’t get onto the dial is harder than people may think, it’s up to the repairer to avoid any detritus being present when the watch is cased up, this is done by blowing with air, using a small brush, or picking hairs/ fibres off using Rodico. Same applies to the inside of the case and underside of the glass. Checking very carefully after assembly is the only way to be sure the watch is clean. Sounds simple but it takes time, a commercial repairer who works on a few watches/ day will be working quickly and that increases the risk of mistakes.

in this case the repairer has probably bent the hand when brushing the dial, he should’ve carefully straightened it then the owner would never know it had happened. No-one makes mistakes deliberately but these things can happen and a repairer has to make things right. In this case the guy has offered to do so and he should be given chance. Compensation should be a last resort, that would be limited to the full value of the watch and if the repairer paid this he’d be within his rights to keep the watch because effectively he’s bought it.

Sometimes (rarely) a seconds hand can be damaged or marked during removal, there’s always a risk that a previous repairer has resorted to superglue to secure a loose hand and that presents a big problem for the next guy to work on it. I’ve been in this position a couple of times and it isn’t fun.

I can see both sides of this situation, the OP has every right to expect the dial to be clean and the seconds hand to not be damaged. The repairer should be given every chance to make good the problem and shouldn’t be subjected to negative publicity at this stage. Based on the information the OP’s already given I suspect the genie’s already out of the lamp and that’s wrong in my view.

Seconds hands are very delicate and easily bent by accident, but I'm surprised the repairer wasn't able to straighten it again.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Compensation should be a last resort, that would be limited to the full value of the watch and if the repairer paid this he’d be within his rights to keep the watch because effectively he’s bought it.
    How would you gauge the full value of the watch? Its value as a second hand used watch? Its RRP? Or secondary market price for a NOS out of production watch?

Grand Master
    Just re-read some of the comments........why not go the whole hog and have the repairer hung, drawn and quartered?

Trial by forum cuts both ways, owners may choose not to use a repairer based on what they read, but the reverse is also true!

Three independent watchmakers left dust (and/or fluff) on my Legend Diver dial. Eventually sent it to Longines who sent it back perfectly clean.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Ensuring that dust or small fibres don’t get onto the dial is harder than people may think, it’s up to the repairer to avoid any detritus being present when the watch is cased up, this is done by blowing with air, using a small brush, or picking hairs/ fibres off using Rodico. Same applies to the inside of the case and underside of the glass. Checking very carefully after assembly is the only way to be sure the watch is clean. Sounds simple but it takes time, a commercial repairer who works on a few watches/ day will be working quickly and that increases the risk of mistakes.

in this case the repairer has probably bent the hand when brushing the dial, he should’ve carefully straightened it then the owner would never know it had happened. No-one makes mistakes deliberately but these things can happen and a repairer has to make things right. In this case the guy has offered to do so and he should be given chance. Compensation should be a last resort, that would be limited to the full value of the watch and if the repairer paid this he’d be within his rights to keep the watch because effectively he’s bought it.

Sometimes (rarely) a seconds hand can be damaged or marked during removal, there’s always a risk that a previous repairer has resorted to superglue to secure a loose hand and that presents a big problem for the next guy to work on it. I’ve been in this position a couple of times and it isn’t fun.

I can see both sides of this situation, the OP has every right to expect the dial to be clean and the seconds hand to not be damaged. The repairer should be given every chance to make good the problem and shouldn’t be subjected to negative publicity at this stage. Based on the information the OP’s already given I suspect the genie’s already out of the lamp and that’s wrong in my view.
    I have given and still am giving the “repairer” a chance to rectify the problem. The damage was identified in October. I have said I would re contact him in 2 weeks time to see if he has managed to get the part.

For this reason I haven’t named him or his shop. Some members have wrongly guessed the shop and I feel that I should reply so that these other shops are not wrongly accused.

It isn’t just the damage caused to the watch that has annoyed me, it is the guys attitude towards the situation.

Once again, thanks for everyone’s input.

Master
    It isn’t just the damage caused to the watch that has annoyed me, it is the guys attitude towards the situation.
    That would be the issue for me. Personally I can always accept that s*&t happens, it's how someone deals with that that matters.

Grand Master
    Three independent watchmakers left dust (and/or fluff) on my Legend Diver dial. Eventually sent it to Longines who sent it back perfectly clean.
    It shouldn't happen, but for reasons I`ve explained it can. Out of approx. 400 repairs I've had 1 sent back with a tiny fibre on the dial, for a repairer it's annoying because you always lose out on the postage costs which is £20 gone simply to rectify your own mistake, not to mention the loss of credibility.

Some repairers deserve the criticism they get, but the poor ones are in the minority thesedays. I recently took on a late 90s Speedmaster Moonwatch for a friend of a forum member. The watch had been to a repairer to have a broken mainspring fixed and the case/bracelet refinished. The watch had supposedly been 'serviced' and the owner had paid £300. The case and bracelet had been polished (literally) and no brushed finish remained. There was dirt under the glass and the hands had been touched up with paint. Basically, a mess, and it was running poorly too. I sorted it out and the owner was happy despite realising he'd been had a poor deal from the previous repairer. I don`t know who it was, I didn`t ask, but it's no-one who gets mentioned on TZ.

As for the repairer involved in the OPOs case, by process of elimination those who know the area will probably work out who it is, watch repairers aren`t exactly an abundant species thesedays.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    .....it is the guys attitude towards the situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    ....., it's how someone deals with that that matters.
    Yes,a watch repairer with a bad attitude is never a good thing. People make mistakes but if responsibility for those mistakes are accepted in good grace, and a polite discussion takes place, things generally work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I think theres a fundamental difference between what you are expecting from this watchmaker and what he provides as a service.

If he is proposing it's acceptable to replace the second hand with a generic one, it suggests to me he is merely concerned with making watches functional. Its a bit like Timpson...you don't take your Breitling for a battery change there because you'd know theres a good chance they will be treating your watch like the reheeling of a shoe and the chances of it coming back with a scratch on the caseback or screw head are high...even though the battery will be changed and the watch functioning.

I've been into these places before and witnessed people get minor stuff like bracelet adjustment and watched as the timepiece is slapped on the counter by the watchmaker with no protection. Nobody really cares because they aren't WIS with obsessions about watches...as long as they work, a minor imperfection like a scratch is fine. These aren't the places for most people here on TZ.

The watchmaker is probably thinking why is this guy making all this fuss over a Seiko.

Send it back to Seiko and treat it as a lesson learnt. I don't think you'll see eye to eye with the watchmaker on this.
    Some truth here.

As previously mentioned I'd get it to Seiko UK and try and forget about the "service" you recently received at an independent.

A lesson learned.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Hi everyone,

Just thought I’d give you a quick update.

Thankfully after 5 months my Seiko SARB is back in my hands. The watchmaker, after a bit of pressure on my part, managed to get the appropriate replacement second hand.

I still think the watchmakers attitude to the situation left a lot to be desired, however after some robust communication I am happy that the matter has been resolved.

Like some of you suggested, I’ll be putting the whole thing down to experience. Once again, thanks for everyone’s advice.

Master
    Great you got it sorted & thanks for the update!

It didn't cost me much more than £75 to have Seiko UK service my SARB033. I believe they just put the old movement in the bin and fit a new one. I paid 80 odd quid though their current prices might be higher.

Sorry to rub salt into the wound - Seiko UK are worth trying first, if the watch is still in production or only recently discontinued.

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    It didn't cost me much more than £75 to have Seiko UK service my SARB033. I believe they just put the old movement in the bin and fit a new one. I paid 80 odd quid though their current prices might be higher.

Sorry to rub salt into the wound - Seiko UK are worth trying first, if the watch is still in production or only recently discontinued.

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk
    Thanks.

Yeh, when the time comes for my turtle to get a service it will be going back to Seiko.