closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does the future hold for motor cycles?

What does the future hold for motor cycles?

It recently occurred to me that there are no longer hordes of oiks clamouring around on motor scooters. Looking at the bike manufacturers' websites, it seems that they hardly have anything in that range.

That aside, what is the future of ICE bikes vs. electric bikes?

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    It recently occurred to me that there are no longer hordes of oiks clamouring around on motor scooters. Looking at the bike manufacturers' websites, it seems that they hardly have anything in that range.

That aside, what is the future of ICE bikes vs. electric bikes?
    Bit too fresh for them, maybe?

ICE bikes will disappear slowly over the next few decades, to be replaced with electrics.
    I feel a bit sad for the electric buyers, but they won't know any difference.

Electric is perfect for scooters and bikes, more so than cars. Lightweight, don't need to haul heavy cargo and used over short distances.

I see a future where 2 wheel transport becomes more popular than ever in the UK. Many of us will own a two wheeled vehicle and hire/rent/taxi/uber four wheeled transport.

Covid cancelled a test ride I was booked to have on a Zero FXS earlier this year.
    Have a look a reviews of it.
    It seems the perfect short commuter.
    A hoot to ride, very simple (go, stop & steer, no gears clutch etc) and manoevrable due to Supermoto geometery, it also has a better that will take you 70 miles and importantly, can be taken out of the bike so you can charge it anywhere, not necessarily where you park the bike.
    The future of E-bikes and scooters is very rosey, imho.

Dave

Master
    In the reboot Star Trek doesn't Kirk have a cool looking electric bike that he tosses the keys to a technician at the shuttle port.

Craftsman
    With improving battery chemistry and power density electric bikes will take off. Ice bikes will be much the s same as cars in 20-30 years. A curiosity.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Electric is perfect for scooters and bikes, more so than cars. Lightweight, don't need to haul heavy cargo and used over short distances.

I see a future where 2 wheel transport becomes more popular than ever in the UK. Many of us will own a two wheeled vehicle and hire/rent/taxi/uber four wheeled transport.
    Chris agreed , and I believe three major manufacturers eg Piaggio Honda Yamaha are working on a common battery architecture. So you can rock up to a charging locker and hot swap out the batteries like the FLT’s do in the big distribution centres. Try doing that with 800 kgs of car batteries👍

Craftsman
    I believe that electric scooters/maxi scooters will be turn out to be a very big thing.
    I've owned scooters for a fair number of years. When the time/price is right I think the next one will have a plug on it.

On the matter of price, interesting that you can get the CSC City Slicker in the US at $2,495, for less than a shed load of e-bicycles...

I've been riding electric scooters for nearly 10 years now, first Vectrix and now a BMW C-Evolution. They're great for commuting, and while fun to ride they do lack the weekend appeal of an ICE bike. You've got to wonder why diesel motorbikes never took off? I think could it be the same for electric bikes which share the same drawbacks plus less range. Legislation may change this of course.

I test rode the HD Livewire which I really liked in terms of its smoothness and feel.

However, I missed the physical interaction in terms of using the clutch, gear lever, throttle - the interaction between them as you still use a throttle on the HD. Its weird that your left hand and left foot don't do anything other than manage a switch or two.

Its a good looking bike (to me at least) and comes in orange!

Electric bikes make perfect sense for commuting, and the occasional shop.
    Not much use for anything else though....

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Electric bikes make perfect sense for commuting, and the occasional shop.
    Not much use for anything else though....
    Don't agree, instant torque combined with smaller distances covered on bikes make it a winning case to stick batteries into motorbikes.

I am all for it - when I lived in Germany electric mopeds (Coups) were all the rage and super cheap, I used them all of the time.

I'm a big fan of ICE bikes, but these days younger demographics aren't interested in biking. Perhaps the electrification will be the saviour (lower cost, cleaner, easier to park, no issue in city centres, etc)

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Agree with the post above, all hands on deck pulling and pushing things on a bike is the real joy.

An electric scooter sounds about as much of a challenge as the 1970s funfair trikes with bumpers all around. I was away to say twist and fart but they don't even do that!

Master
    electric bikes are inevitable..they are already pretty common in the trials world, although I think experts still prefer a bike with gears.

The MotoE technology, TT Zero and general auto industry move to electric will cascade down and at some point there will be high performing electric sports and adventure bikes commercialy availalbe to add to the low capacity electric ones out there at the moment.

ICE bikes are apparently not included in the petrol/diesel manufacturing ban from 2030, but thats long enough away for things to change.

It may be that with low noise and no emissions, coupled with easy twist and go operation that a brave new world awaits electric bikes in the next 20 years, particulary in cities ?

I will still be pottering about balancing carbs and the like though, but understand the environmental imperatives for the future and would give one a go.

An electric Mountain Bike first though - those hills are hard going.

Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    Don't agree, instant torque combined with smaller distances covered on bikes make it a winning case to stick batteries into motorbikes.
    Great torque figures agreed.
    But absolutely useless in their present guise for serious motorcyclists.

I guess if you want to do Route 66 on a bike (or any other long tour), you'd better do it sooner rather than later.

Coming soon: Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman in the Looooooooooooooooong Way Round

Master
    Great torque figures agreed.
    But absolutely useless in their present guise for serious motorcyclists.
    A MotoE bike carries an extra 100kg and can only race half the distance of a MotoGP bike, so the tech is still some way off for racing or even long distance touring, but as mentioned above they will only become more popular for commuters and casual riders as the tech evolves.

At a grassroots level we could see an explosion of kids getting into MX as there'll be no noise pollution, as that's the killer for current MX machines.

Road congestion isn't getting any better and many commuters are put off by bikes due to the controls and licensing, so doing a CBT and buying a restricted twist and go that can be derestricted later is going to be more attractive for some. Most 17 year olds who want a bike don't want a wheezy 125 that struggles to hit 70 and will be sold the day your restriction ends, but if they were presented with an electric bike restricted to 70 but can get there quicker than a sports car, and can then be derestricted in 30 seconds with a laptop when your licence allows...

I think the future of motorcycling now looks better than it did at any time over the last 20 years.

Master
    Henry Cole is doing an article on electric motorcycles some time next week. Just keep your eyes open for a motorcycle show either next Tuesday or Wednesday on More4 or ITV4. It's channel 118 on Virgin.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I guess if you want to do Route 66 on a bike (or any other long tour), you'd better do it sooner rather than later.

Coming soon: Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman in the Looooooooooooooooong Way Round
    They’ve already ridden from the tip of South America to Los Angeles (The Long Way up-13,000 miles) on Harley Davidson Livewires!

Master
    Currently electric makes a lot more sense on bicycles and those little electric scooters due to the low weight (the skateboardish ones, not scooter as in Vespa). Once the weight and bulk of batteries comes down, I’m ready to join the revolution, but it needs that technological breakthrough and the right price point. It’s easy to imagine low maintenance, fast and futuristic electric bikes that will make ICE bikes look very old fashioned overnight, but they’ll need to be better performing, lower weight and so better handling, and cheaper too, or at least not more expensive. Until that happens I’m sorry to say I’ll be enjoying the last of the dying breeds.

One day though...

And whatever happened to Yamaha’s PES1 / PES2 that was supposed to be coming soon five years ago?

Last edited by Itsguy; 3rd December 2020 at 19:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    A MotoE bike carries an extra 100kg and can only race half the distance of a MotoGP bike, so the tech is still some way off for racing or even long distance touring, but as mentioned above they will only become more popular for commuters and casual riders as the tech evolves.

At a grassroots level we could see an explosion of kids getting into MX as there'll be no noise pollution, as that's the killer for current MX machines.

Road congestion isn't getting any better and many commuters are put off by bikes due to the controls and licensing, so doing a CBT and buying a restricted twist and go that can be derestricted later is going to be more attractive for some. Most 17 year olds who want a bike don't want a wheezy 125 that struggles to hit 70 and will be sold the day your restriction ends, but if they were presented with an electric bike restricted to 70 but can get there quicker than a sports car, and can then be derestricted in 30 seconds with a laptop when your licence allows...

I think the future of motorcycling now looks better than it did at any time over the last 20 years.
    95% of motorcyclists want a bike that 'feels' like a bike, not an anodyne facsimle.
    Sensible weight, sensibe range, with gears, engine braking...something to actually ride
    Electric bikes will no doubt overtake their ICE equivalents...and will be ideal for the snowflake generation who have been brought up to expect instant gratification, but can't be arsed to learn to ride.

95% of motorcyclists want a bike that 'feels' like a bike, not an anodyne facsimle.
    Sensible weight, sensibe range, with gears, engine braking...something to actually ride
    Electric bikes will no doubt overtake their ICE equivalents...and will be ideal for the snowflake generation who have been brought up to expect instant gratification, but can't be arsed to learn to ride.
    I don’t know where you get the 95% from (unless it’s just your opinion!).
    I have ICE bikes and will probably always have one but I’ll happily buy an electric bike when the time is tight.
    I regularly look at the Energicas and Zeros but are currently higher priced than I’d like to pay. When they’re a bit cheaper though, I’ll buy one!
    I believe that ICE will go the same way as points ignition and carburettors particularly for the leisure riders. I mean, how often do we regularly do more than 100 miles when out for a blast?

Master
    And most motorcyclists today are middle aged or OAP's. The average age of the typical biker in the UK has been rising since the 90's so anything to get new blood into it can only be a good thing, and if that means electric bikes that appeal to the younger generation then so be it.

I received an FS1E-DX for my 16th birthday, and passed my motorcycle test in 1979, aged 17 1/4.

In those days, there was an undeniable appetite for at least 50% of my college class to get a 125, and graduate up to 250/500/750 as soon as practical.

I have three sons - 17, 19 and 22. Not one of them, or any of their college friends have expressed any interest in a moped/motorcycle at all.
    Why - the cost of bike insurance, the perceived risk of two wheels, and easy access to four-wheels via a cheap PCP.

I have a collection of elderly motorcycles - Pan ST1100, Bonneville 865, Honda 400/4, BMW R80 ST - they cover every biking need, and I love them all.

I've never seen the point in spending Ł15,000 plus on an ICE bike which will depreciate so quickly.
    As we oldies get older, I agree that there is a very limited target market for the next 15-20 years.
    Last edited by W124; 3rd December 2020 at 21:13.

There are some very antiquated opinions here, with some outdated info too.

The Zero FXS, as I said before, will do 100 miles in 7.2 guise, the whole bike with battery weighs 133 kg, and has 46 hp.
    It fully charges with a lead in 9 hrs, or 4 if you have the additional charger (2 chargers at once).
    That is, for most people, very much real world useful.
    Sure, it is too expensive at present, but the future is not far away.
    If you want superbike performance, the battery weight piles up pretty quickly, but the above spefcification will do most personal transport tasks with ease.
    Touring? no, and you can definitely not do that on anything electric at present, but MotoEbikes have more chance of being successful than cars, because there is no requirement to lug more than a Tonne of bodywork about.

Craftsman
    I'm up to episode 6 of Ewan and Charlie's latest jaunt "Long Way Up" and they are using HD electric livewires. Up to now they always seem to be panicking for charge and on a couple of occasions have ran out of charge.
    They'd be good for commuting, but not for what I use a bike for. I enjoy touring with average 300 mile days, when you're only getting 100 - 120 miles to a charge it would be an awful long day

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I mean, how often do we regularly do more than 100 miles when out for a blast?
    I rest my case.

I've demo'd 2 electrics.
    In both cases the ride was spoilt by range anxiety.
    Utter rubbish.
    It WILL get better...but not viable for anyone wishing to do reasonable miles. I live in North Shropshire (on the Welsh border) and regularly ride up to Scotland for the day to see relations in Dumfries... 420 miles return....

Electric, great for the occasional whimsical rider or commuter...or parking outside Starbucks....
    Last edited by Tifa; 3rd December 2020 at 22:52.

Master
    I rest my case.
    To be fair I think the bit of your case that is being questioned is that you speak for "95% of motorcyclists" who have no interest in elec etc. I myself have and love two old-school carburettor bikes among others but biking cannot survive on the patronage of grizzled old blokes who like touring. (I don't know if you're a grizzled old bloke Tifa; I speak for myself.) Penny-farthing enthusiasts felt the same way about the new bicycles ("pah, late-Victorian snowflakes, so easy to ride" etc). Motorcycling clearly must and clearly is embracing the new tech and the statement that most journeys are under 100 miles is obviously true.

The 'old-school ICE long-range proper men's bikes' impulse needn't be in tension with the new tech - the one is a pathway to the other, and kids who might never have been able to afford a 'proper' motorbike in the current circumstances, and therefore never learn to ride, will be able to and then drive a market for longer-range and more interesting machines which will otherwise never get built.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    And most motorcyclists today are middle aged or OAP's. The average age of the typical biker in the UK has been rising since the 90's so anything to get new blood into it can only be a good thing, and if that means electric bikes that appeal to the younger generation then so be it.
    When you hit 50 and enter that phase of your life where you have a lot more disposable income, you tend to buy stuff that harks back to your youth. You buy things you could not buy then.

Elderly motorcyclists are packing it in because they worry more about accidents. The VMCC is losing members rapidly and there is no sizeable younger element coming in to take up the slack. Classic bikes that once sold quickly are now hanging around and the reason is why spend a lot of money on an old bike when there will be less and less fuel and garages available in a few years time. Will electric make high performance motorcycles trendy again, I somehow doubt it because the then 50 somethings will have no history of biking and hence no interest.

I just think motorcycles don't have the same appeal as they did say only 5 years ago.

It will just be a minority interest hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    To be fair I think the bit of your case that is being questioned is that you speak for "95% of motorcyclists" who have no interest in elec etc. I myself have and love two old-school carburettor bikes among others but biking cannot survive on the patronage of grizzled old blokes who like touring. (I don't know if you're a grizzled old bloke Tifa; I speak for myself.)
    95%...to be honest, I think it's probably more...
    Go to ANY regular bike meet....Pondo, Box Hill, Cat & Fiddle.....and ask the regulars if they'd like to swap their GS1200, Panigale, Diavel or whatever for an electric, and you'll get a resounding Foxtrot-Oscar response...
    Yep, will hold my hands up....boring old git here...but I know what a proper motorcycle is...and at this point in time, it doesn't have an electric donk.

95%...to be honest, I think it's probably more...
    Go to ANY regular bike meet....Pondo, Box Hill, Cat & Fiddle.....and ask the regulars if they'd like to swap their GS1200, Panigale, Diavel or whatever for an electric, and you'll get a resounding Foxtrot-Oscar response...
    Yep, will hold my hands up....boring old git here...but I know what a proper motorcycle is...and at this point in time, it doesn't have an electric donk.
    But roll up on a Livewire, Energica or Zero and you’ll instantly have a crowd around you asking questions!

But roll up on a Livewire, Energica or Zero and you’ll instantly have a crowd around you asking questions!
    usually along the lines of >

how much range do you have?
    have you every run out of charge on a run?

sorry but its already been stated , apart from a short commutes for most bikers they are not fit for purpose at this present time , the above design would look great in a new tron film but in the real world its a waste of time.

https://www.energicamotor.com/energi...streetfighter/

https://www.energicamotor.com/energi...ic-motorcycle/

Good enough for my needs, they’re certainly not just for commuting!

Granted, touring probably isn’t viable yet though.

that bike looks a lot better but still not good for much other than short hops around , as an example my sister lives in south wales which for me is around a 240 mile round trip - most bikers i know class this as a day trip i.e ride down eat fish and chips and come back.
    hopefully in the future thing might change regarding battery life but i cant see it happening anytime soon.

The future of motorcycles is definitely electric, probably down to legislation rather than outright demand. When I take a bike out I rarely do less than 100 miles so they don’t have enough range for me. One of the guys at the trials club has an electric Osset, it’s a capable enough bike in some ways (not in others) but he often hasn’t got enough juice to finish the trial. Plus electric bikes all look like some sort of kitchen appliance. Modern bikes already suffer from a dearth of character and I can’t imagine electric is going to improve that. Motorcycles are cold, wet, dangerous and they not even cheap transport anymore. If you add all the soul and passion of a toaster to that mix, I can’t see the future of motorcycles being too bright. I won’t rule out trying an electric bike at some point but if that’s all I can have I’ll probably hang up my boots.
    Last edited by Groundrush; 4th December 2020 at 09:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    The future of motorcycles is definitely electric, probably down to legislation rather than outright demand. When I take a bike out I rarely do less than 100 miles so they don’t have enough range for me. One of the guys at the trials club has an electric Osset, it’s a capable enough bike in some ways (not in others) but he often hasn’t got enough juice to finish the trial. Plus electric bikes all look like some sort of kitchen appliance. Modern bikes already suffer from a dearth of character and I can’t imagine electric is going to improve that. Motorcycles are cold, wet, dangerous and they not even cheap transport anymore. If you add all the soul and passion of a toaster to that mix, I can’t see the future of motorcycles being too bright.
    That’s the thing, though - the people who learn to ride and continue to ride now, in general are not driven by the cheapness of the transport. In the ‘60s and early ‘70s - they were. They are now driven by a passion for bikes with engines.

Without that ‘passion’ - the younger generation will want a car, not a bike.

If you (like me) think that traditional motorbikes will basically ‘see me out’ - then why worry?

Is it important that motorcycling as we know it - perpetuates for future generations? I don’t think it is.

(not all points are directed at Groundrush - just a useful post to tag on to)
    Last edited by blackal; 4th December 2020 at 10:05.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I can see that model working for a few singletons but I don't think that model works for families or even most couples, even as a vision of a future city.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    If you (like me) think that traditional motorbikes will basically ‘see me out’ - then why worry?
    I only really worry because I don’t trust the government not to turn round in some years time and ban the internal combustion engine completely. In fact I think it is a possibility so no, I don’t think traditional bikes will necessarily see me out.
    Last edited by Groundrush; 4th December 2020 at 10:13.

I only really worry because I don’t trust the government not to turn round in 10 years time and ban the internal combustion engine completely. In fact I think it likely so no, I don’t think traditional bikes will necessarily see me out.
    I think that their date of 2030 to end the sale of ICE vehicles tied in well with their aim of getting ICE off the road by 2050. I can’t see them ever banning ICE, it will just become a niche hobby for us old gits!

I see bikes as being along the same timescales.

As I’ve mentioned before, I like electric bikes and intend buying one at some stage but I’ll always have at least one old school bike with a proper petrol engine!

Yep, we're a curious breed.
    Most of the questions will be 'have you got the range to make it back home?'

Yep, we're a curious breed.
    Most of the questions will be 'have you got the range to make it back home?'
    I can almost guarantee that it’ll be 50:50, what’s the range? and How much is a new battery?

I can almost guarantee that it’ll be 50:50, what’s the range? and How much is a new battery?
    Not forgetting the inevitable “why?”

Not forgetting the inevitable “why?”
    We have a winner.
    *applauds*

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I can see that model working for a few singletons but I don't think that model works for families or even most couples, even as a vision of a future city.
    Sadly I gave up motorcycling - and have never considered riding again - having lost a number of friends, acquaintances and family to motorcycle accidents over the years, and not one to a car accident even though a huge number more run cars. Add to that the fact that a lightweight electric bike must be incredibly stealable, and it’s a non starter imho!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    a lightweight electric bike must be incredibly stealable, and it’s a non starter imho!
    I don't think it makes much difference to stealability tbh. A motorbike of any sort, if not attached to something, can be up a greased plank and into the back of a van in the blink of a cctv frame.

I don't think it makes much difference to stealability tbh. A motorbike of any sort, if not attached to something, can be up a greased plank and into the back of a van in the blink of a cctv frame.
    I initially rode a scooter in London and was warned - and subsequently noticed - the lightweight 50cc and 125cc bikes and scooters being stolen far more often than ‘proper’ bikes. Factor in the comparative value of an electric bike (I’m assuming they are expensive in line with electric cars - I don’t know as I haven’t researched it) and it looks like a bike thieves dream!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I initially rode a scooter in London and was warned - and subsequently noticed - the lightweight 50cc and 125cc bikes and scooters being stolen far more often than ‘proper’ bikes. Factor in the comparative value of an electric bike (I’m assuming they are expensive in line with electric cars - I don’t know as I haven’t researched it) and it looks like a bike thieves dream!
    I think you're probably right.
    Battery packs, motors and electrics are going to fetch big money on the secondhand market.

Craftsman
    They’ve already ridden from the tip of South America to Los Angeles (The Long Way up-13,000 miles) on Harley Davidson Livewires!
    Read the web about how the trip was actually done. Large support crew, with the ability to charge anywhere, plus luggage taken in a van etc. Can you imagine how long it would take to get to say the Black Forest from the UK with a pillion and all the kit for touring. Electric is great for touring. I'm a blood biker, one of our guys did a job in his Nissan Leaf on Thurs. He left Gosport at around 16:00 for a trip to Basingstoke. Ran out of electricity on the way home and couldn't find a charging point that was working. In the end, he had to get recovery, and got home at 02:30, not bad for an hours journey each way :) Think the infrastructure needs to improve a lot for serious trips.

Quote Originally Posted by casbar View Post
    Read the web about how the trip was actually done. Large support crew, with the ability to charge anywhere, plus luggage taken in a van etc. Can you imagine how long it would take to get to say the Black Forest from the UK with a pillion and all the kit for touring. Electric is great for touring. I'm a blood biker, one of our guys did a job in his Nissan Leaf on Thurs. He left Gosport at around 16:00 for a trip to Basingstoke. Ran out of electricity on the way home and couldn't find a charging point that was working. In the end, he had to get recovery, and got home at 02:30, not bad for an hours journey each way :) Think the infrastructure needs to improve a lot for serious trips.
    A total journey of 100m - Have to suspect he wasn't fully-charged before he left? Surely the Leaf does more than that to a charge?