closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What euro lock?

Master

What euro lock?

We are completing on a project house in the next week or so and I understand I need to change the locks.

It's a PVC door so I can just change the euro lock, are there any recommendations from this wise forum?

Thank you.

Master
    This came up a few months ago see this post

I changed all ours to Avocet ABS
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna1138 View Post
    This came up a few months ago see this post

I changed all ours to Avocet ABS
    cheers
    ^^^^^^^^^
    This

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

^^^^^^^ this too, all mine are Avocet. 10mins to change them.

Master
    As per the thread that Tuna1138 mentioned, I recommend any of the following: Evva EPS 3-star, Kaba pExtra Guard or Mul-T-Lock XP+ cylinders. Avocet is okay, but any of these three alternatives will be more reliable (e.g. significantly less prone to jamming).

Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    I'd pick Evva any day. If ABS or Ultion were the Seiko of lock cylinders, then Evva would be Grand Seiko. All three brands use a locking cam (very secure) in their anti-snap cylinders, but Evva's will be significantly higher quality and more reliable.

Avocet ABS and Ultion are brilliant at marketing and have well-designed lock cylinders, but buy their products from another company in Taiwan. Evva is one of the world's most renowned lock manufacturers, and it makes everything in-house in Austria.

Evva EPS 3-star euro cylinders

Master
    I have Avocet ABS on around a dozen doors, fitted anywhere from 2 years ago to 7 years ago. Never had an issue.

I like the look of those Evva though, posted above!
    Last edited by demonloop; 2nd December 2020 at 12:13.

Master
    In addition to a good lock like the Evva you can make just as big an improvement to the security of your house by changing the handles to PAS 24 types such as those from Hoppe. They really are much stronger.

As you can see from my thread a few months ago that's linked above, I went with Ultion again.

Very happy with them to date. Having the same coded key is a real bonus when you have multiple locks.

I also went with a monitored alarm and the next pet we get after our fluffy ragdoll cats, will be a dog with massive teeth that lives off a raw diet of burglars.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Avocet are fitted to my house.

Went for Evva ICS in my house. Did a lot of research. The key and locks look epic. They weren't cheap but worth every penny IMO.

Craftsman
    Avocet in all our doors too, had them
    3 or 4 years and no problem whatsoever.

Look at ASSA Abloy

Whatever you get, avoid thumb turns.
    Last edited by Templogin; 2nd December 2020 at 14:36.

I have Yale 3* locks, which I like because they have a flat 'any-way-up' key.

As per the thread that Tuna1138 mentioned, I recommend any of the following: Evva EPS 3-star, Kaba pExtra Guard or Mul-T-Lock XP+ cylinders. Avocet is okay, but any of these three alternatives will be more reliable (e.g. significantly less prone to jamming).
    The Mul-T-Lock you refer to features an anti-pull(?) bump. Do you need a door specially designed to accept these?

To the OP, apologies if this is teaching you to suck eggs, but here's how to measure a euro-cylinder:

Blog Entries
    I have now an Avocet ABS, but was tempted by the Ultion thumbturn as it is tamper-proof without the need of shield etc.

Do you know if any of the other kite/3 stars has a similar anti-tamper thumbturn option ?

See:

"The Brisant Ultion Thumb Turn is now available. Having the same unique Lock Down Mode as the key / key Ultion means the thumb turn version is just as secure.

Ultion is not like other TS007 3 star or Sold Secure Diamond thumb turns because the independent Lock Down Mode design ensures it is not susceptible to manipulation by thumb turn turners or bent bits of wire. Also it operates like most other thumb turns whereby it can be overridden by the key from the outside in any position whilst still remaining secure.

Therefore we don’t have to add any additional functions to compensate for it being directly connected to the cam, such as having to push, turn and return to it’s start position, and again more importantly it means you can’t lock yourself out inadvertently giving ultimate security, safety and convenience". From the Ultion/Brisant webpage
    Last edited by Franco; 2nd December 2020 at 15:49.

I went for Evva EPS 3-star locks.

I also fitted HOPPE PAS 24 door handles as a visual deterrent and extra level of security.

Master
    Ultion locks with LocLoc handle sets, very pleased.
    Got a good discount off my house insurance to boot.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    The Mul-T-Lock you refer to features an anti-pull(?) bump. Do you need a door specially designed to accept these?
    I've fitted this Mul-T-Lock XP+ into a couple of regular doors. After removing the door handles and old cylinder, you have to slide the new XP+ cylinder into the door from the exterior side. And as you know, the side of the cylinder with the 'mole grip deflectors' is external. I had no issue with the grip deflector bumps. (Unlike some Yale cylinders, where the grip deflectors can get in the way – often requiring taking a file to the door for them to fit. But then Mul-T-Lock is a higher-tier brand than Yale.)

Alternatively, a little more money would buy you a 3-star Evva ICS (ultra-reliable and ultra-secure, but check it's the 3-star version you're buying). It uses a locking cam instead of grip deflectors, as well as an 'any-way-up' key like the Mul-T-Lock:
    Quote Originally Posted by JC180 View Post
    Went for Evva ICS in my house. Did a lot of research. The key and locks look epic. They weren't cheap but worth every penny IMO.

Master
    Thank you for all the replies. Where is the best place to buy? Looking at either Evva or Mul-T.

Alternatively, a little more money would buy you a 3-star Evva ICS (ultra-reliable and ultra-secure, but check it's the 3-star version you're buying). It uses a locking cam instead of grip deflectors, as well as an 'any-way-up' key like the Mul-T-Lock:
    The house is master keyed with 10 different types of key for external doors, and different rooms etc. All external doors are 3 star. Internal just the one as I didnt want to pay for high security but wanted the convenience of having every lock in the house on one key.