closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Would you buy from Singapore or Hong Kong?

Master

Question Would you buy from Singapore or Hong Kong?

After much umming and ahhing between Seiko and Citizen divers, I stumbled on Citizen’s latest Fugu range that’s only available in Asia. These Fugu models are upgraded (sapphire glass, handwind-able). So, would you buy a watch from Hong Kong or Singapore? Do they generally differ in reliability and trustworthiness, customs or shipping, etc? Sellers in both places have similar feedback ratings on eBay.
    Last edited by Dougal; 2nd December 2020 at 10:45.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn’t ,but that’s just me.

If they have good feedback especially if it's in the hundreds or more then I'd say they are most likely trustworthy. As for quality I can only go off a few Seiko 5s I bought from a Singapore eBay dealer a few year's ago which although quite cheap I didn't think they had the same quality as a few I'd had from the UK market.
    Mostly the bracelet's being a bit more flimsy but what you have to consider is the import taxes if it's send legitimately should we say.

20% import tax and a handling fee of between £12.00 - £20.00 depending on who it's shipped with.

It might be sent being undervalued or described as something else to get around customs but that's a chance both you and the seller would take if indeed the seller would even consider doing that.

I don't know what price you are looking at but say you pay £300.00 then add on top £60.00 import tax and another £12.00-£20.00 will give you an idea.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

I have bought watches from Singapore, Hong Kong and mainland China on a number of occasions.

I've also bought other stuff frequently from HK in the past.

Most of the time you'll be fine, but you need to understand that you're a long way from the seller, so if there is a problem you can't just pop it back to them.

If you buy a big name brand item, the manufacturer will often stand by their product, but you need to be careful as it may not have a worldwide warranty if it's a region-specific product.

Only you can decide if you're prepared to take a risk, but there's no reason to presume a seller in Singapore or Hong Kong is any less trustworthy than one in, say, Germany or America, but if you're buying off an individual anywhere, there's a chance (We bought a new iPad Mini which I missed was from Singapore when I bought it - Turned out it was an old, badly repaired one which caused trouble after a couple of years, but that could have happened with someone in the UK just as easily - Needless to say the buyer had vanished and eBay/PayPal weren't interested - We had it repaired and it still mostly works, but it's not right).

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Are creation watches not in Singapore? I don’t see what the issue would be any different from buying from any other country abroad.

As others state, I have bought from Creation and Sky (both Singapore) on may occasions.

Creation are particularly cost effective when you chose shipping by mail (Singapore Post, without box).

Master
    I've bought from Creation (SG) and Alpha (HK). No issues and good communication. I did pay duty and handling fees on the watch from Creation.

I was happy to import some noodles from Singapore, but that's just mee.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master

Unhappy

Just when I thought this purchase was all going so well ...

• eBay seller with lots of positive feedback? Check.
    • Seller posted the item (tracked) immediately? Check.
    • Hong Kong Post suspends all parcels going to the UK? Check

ARGH! What does Hong Kong Post mean by parcel “service is currently under suspension”? Covid-related?

This might not be relevant now thanks to covid but both HK and Singapore (especially HK) were great places to buy watches in person:/ you can find pretty much any watch in HK. I've not bought anything from either place online because of VAT (I used to live in Singapore and visit often) - but they are generally reliable if the rating/reviews are good I think