closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paul Thorpe ringing Rolex AD

Paul Thorpe ringing Rolex AD

Nothing new, that we dont already know however will this ever end?

Will what ever end? That charlatan's boring crusade against Rolex?

He literally couldn't have sounded more like a flipper with how he approached that convo

What a painful video. The lady on the phone was completely professional, he was a complete bell.

Clickbait video with four adverts (2 before the video and two during) just so he can make some money off a phonecall recorded without permission or notification. Fake "public interest" journalism on top. Absolute user.

Master
    Blog Entries
    whatever you think of him it shows the absolute madness,nonsense,stupidiy whatever word you want to use.

I for one, don't click on links to that person's channel. He has nothing of interest to say, and the manner in which he says anything, I find incredibly irritating.

If I do need a "dodgy" cockney geezer fix, I can always watch a Ray Winston film, the characterisation's more authentic.

Remind me, what was his son convicted of again?
    Last edited by dkpw; 5th December 2020 at 10:19.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Master
    I had a worse conversation recently with an AD I have used regularly; it went along the lines of what’s cars I drove; did I buy or lease. My houses where were they how much were they worth, what was my job tittle and how much did I earn; by this point I told then politely to not bother. The sales associate was embarrassed and apologised but said managements decision for these new questions.

The guy has good intentions but clearly is also about making money also.
    Last edited by shoppy; 2nd December 2020 at 10:24. Reason: typo.

Quote Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
    I had a worse conversation recently with an AD I have used regularly; it went along the lines of what’s cats I drove did I buy or lease. My houses where were they how much were they worth, what was my job tittle and how much did I earn; by this point I told politely to not bother. The sales associate was embarrassed and apologised but said managements decision.

If I want to drive a cat it’s no business of theirs

All he is doing in those crap videos, is trying to convince people grey dealers are their only option of getting a sports model Rolex. And that 40% mark up is ok. He is so full of shit.

Leasing a cat to buy a watch sounds like the purrfect solution.

Very amewsing. Wonder how he’s feline after that.

Blog Entries
    Meow. No need to be to catty about it.

Grand Master
    I think he will be fine once he breaks those teeth in
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    If I want to drive a cat it’s no business of theirs
    Silly phone and me.

Master
    Calling a dealer with no purchase history for one of the most in demand watches...what did he expect to happen!?

Maybe he should try another AD and ask for a Nautilus next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    All he is doing in those crap videos, is trying to convince people grey dealers are their only option of getting a sports model Rolex. And that 40% mark up is ok. He is so full of ****.
    This.

Master
    Dodgy, dodgy, dodgy. Has been for many years. His obsessive use of the term ‘trustworthy’ is a bit of a give away. I’d stay well away.

So what?
    The sports models are not available, the demand is high and the ADs have to select whom they are willing to sell to.
    Understandably they want to leverage their stock (which they cannot overcharge for) so they require people to spend money on other things in order to "qualify" to buy a Rolex.
    It may not seem to be fair, for the simple reason that you do not need £X to buy a sub, but £X to buy it and £Y to buy all the other stuff to enable the purchase to happen. But why wouldn't they ask this?
    Their requirements commoditise the watch even further, and the temptation to offset the other purchases by flipping the watch is great.
    And so many of the watches get flipped, the grey dealers have loads of examples at high prices, and so it carries on.
    Those that don't flip get to feel even more exclusive, because their Sub cost them £X+Y.
    Even if they might be better off spending 1.4 x £X at the grey dealer.

It's not worthy of a video, not shocking, raising of blood pressure or anything like that. It is just how it works.

I don't like the guy but to be fair he did expose one thing.

You need to be a known and valued customer to get on a Rolex sports model waiting list and your position on that list will depend on how "valued" you are.

But we all know that this is true to a large extent already so what's his point? Just continuing his brand bashing.

Journeyman
    To record and put the call online with the store rep without permission is wrong. They will only be following management's instructions, whatever you think of them. Putting it on YouTube claiming to be a journalist and pushing the "in the public interest" is a very grey legal area.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    I don't like the guy but to be fair he did expose one thing.

You need to be a known and valued customer to get on a Rolex sports model waiting list and your position on that list will depend on how "valued" you are.

But we all know that this is true to a large extent already so what's his point? Just continuing his brand bashing.
    I agree with nearly everything you say but the reality is that a lot of people moan about not being able to get a SS model when there are plenty in the grey dealers. Either they pay the going rate or go without.

Grey dealers always pitch their stuff at the right level.

The refusal by the seller to say how much exactly needs to be spent in order to guarantee you the watch, tells me everything I need to know.

The rest is just a waste of everyone's intelligence.
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Master
    I get people defending the dealers but how did they survive before the demand for sports Rolex was so high?

It’s almost acceptable now for this behaviour (it seems by the comments here)

Makes you wonder how they stayed in business before when submariners and daytonas sat in the shelves for weeks/months.

Greed pure and simple (guess can’t blame them)

We can’t sell them for more (as Rolex say so) but we don’t like you selling them for more so we’ll get the same grey market extra price by selling you cheap jewellery for a huge profit.

I still imagine the majority go to grey dealers for back handers. I was on the list for a lowly BB58 (before they came out) first on the list, “first one in the shop going to you sir”. I still to this day never had the call, maybe they lost my number? But 7 months after release they claimed I was still first on the list but they hadn’t had any stock yet (yeah righto in one of the biggest AD’s). Obviously as it got closer to launch they were very popular and I’d imagine I got shunned in favour of someone who’s willing to roll over and waste cash on rubbish jewellery.

That’s the last BS AD experience I’ll get involved with.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had a worse conversation recently with an AD I have used regularly; it went along the lines of what’s cars I drove; did I buy or lease. My houses where were they how much were they worth, what was my job tittle and how much did I earn; by this point I told then politely to not bother. The sales associate was embarrassed and apologised but said managements decision for these new questions.

In other words are you so rich that you are unlikely to sell the watch on for a profit.

Why people aren't outraged by this and them demanding you buy stuff you don't want I fail to understand.

Perhaps some people like it,because like the VIP queue outside some shops it makes them feel special and important.

This guy is thick-as-mince. It's no wonder the world is dumbing down when there are people that actaully willingly sit through 8 minutes of listening to this guy.

Definitely too much like grief for me but happy for, whilst bemused, that others are willing to play/pay.

For years and years the Rolex company has been bundling desirable models with dozens of unsaleable Datejusts for the ADs to unload for them. Now the ADs are doing it to their customers.

The abusers are the ones who have been previously abused. Feel sorry for them.
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Master
    Painful listening to him literally just trying to catch her out and commit a figure so he can do some big scoop.

A certain amount of scorn and disbelief was expressed, by some, at the recent post and video about how motorbike insurers might be directly involved in making the owners' claims and bike ownership experience more costly than it should be...is there not, perhaps, a parallel here?

Besides, not everyone who wants to buy a Rolex sports model will know the score with ADs and 'lists' (they might not even be a member here!). Whether or not you like/trust the guy, the video, if nothing else, serves to enlighten others on how twisted the market can be for these watches.

Grand Master
    Do you know what lads I think we’re being a little bit harsh here aren’t we. So the guys appearance and bearing don’t quite fit with the mould of luxury he doesn’t have an Eton accent and he isn’t articulating his words perfectly. We also have suggested he might have a slightly dodgy reason for doing this family et cetera but hey just because your children misbehave doesn’t make you a bad guy equally if your children have done very well for themselves it doesn’t make you anything special either.

So let’s be analytical he has established a YouTube channel it provides information to people people who can do what they like with that information because it’s the Internet and as Winston Churchill famously said ‘don’t believe everything you read on the Internet’.

By all means have a problem with him have a little negativity in your life but if you can do better or if you feel that your opinion is of more value than his then why don’t you start a YouTube channel and tell us all how it should be done.

Just for the record I know of this man but I don’t support him nor do I condone him for his efforts/works.
    RIAC

Journeyman
    To me it shows what I already know. You either have to be a big spender to qualify for an in demand model, wait indefinitely or go to a grey dealer and pay the market value.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ARC85 View Post
    To record and put the call online with the store rep without permission is wrong. They will only be following management's instructions, whatever you think of them. Putting it on YouTube claiming to be a journalist and pushing the "in the public interest" is a very grey legal area.
    The video is no longer listed on YT
    Perhaps the legal contact he’s alluded to in other videos warned him of the ramifications. Some comments thanked PT as they didn’t know this practice was going on
    I recall a phone call to a rep of a chain where I said I’d like to see a BLRO Apparently I’d need to spend £100k to be considered for one!

Craftsman
    I watched it yesterday, what did he expect the lady to say. I thought she conducted herself very well. For all she knows he was recording it and going to put it on YouTube.

Not surprised he’s removed it. Made him look a wally

Quote Originally Posted by Mysqueek View Post
    The video is no longer listed on YT
    Perhaps the legal contact he’s alluded to in other videos warned him of the ramifications. Some comments thanked PT as they didn’t know this practice was going on
    I recall a phone call to a rep of a chain where I said I’d like to see a BLRO Apparently I’d need to spend £100k to be considered for one!
    Claiming he’s a journalist by posting up a very amateurish recorded telephone call with an unaware lady in a random Rolex AD is the equivalent of saying Dark Justice are police officers.
    Last edited by Christian; 2nd December 2020 at 20:29.

All expected questions I would say...

If you were applying for a mortgage.

And the video is down!

I wonder if it was a pang of conscience or action from outside.

Quote Originally Posted by forest172 View Post
    I watched it yesterday, what did he expect the lady to say. I thought she conducted herself very well. For all she knows he was recording it and going to put it on YouTube.

Not surprised he’s removed it. Made him look a wally
    I am not surprised he has removed it because he has committed a criminal offence by publishing it on the internet.

It is not illegal in the UK to covertly record a phone call as long as you do not not subsequently make it available to a third party.

There is a public interest defence but this is intended to cover public law and regulation enforcement authorities. A recognised journalist might be able to argue public interest but they would be on very dodgy ground, no certainty that they could escape prosecution. A self appointed internet blogger? No chance.

Mitch

Less like Public Interest and more like Entrapment.

Quote Originally Posted by roxylady View Post
    To me it shows what I already know. You either have to be a big spender to qualify for an in demand model, wait indefinitely or go to a grey dealer and pay the market value.
    ORRR be a super charming fellow!
    At least that's my only hope as I'm not doing any of that other nonsense. I'll let you know how it works out

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Do you know what lads I think we’re being a little bit harsh here aren’t we. So the guys appearance and bearing don’t quite fit with the mould of luxury he doesn’t have an Eton accent and he isn’t articulating his words perfectly. We also have suggested he might have a slightly dodgy reason for doing this family et cetera but hey just because your children misbehave doesn’t make you a bad guy equally if your children have done very well for themselves it doesn’t make you anything special either.

So let’s be analytical he has established a YouTube channel it provides information to people people who can do what they like with that information because it’s the Internet and as Winston Churchill famously said ‘don’t believe everything you read on the Internet’.

By all means have a problem with him have a little negativity in your life but if you can do better or if you feel that your opinion is of more value than his then why don’t you start a YouTube channel and tell us all how it should be done.

Just for the record I know of this man but I don’t support him nor do I condone him for his efforts/works.
    I don't trust Old Etonians either, as it happens.

SydR
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I don't trust Old Etonians either, as it happens.
    I don’t trust anyone until they have proven, to me, they are.

On the matter of Paul Thorpe; I can’t help feeling, as an ex-dealer himself, he holds something of a grudge against Rolex despite the fact he probably made a lot of money from their products.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    And the video is down!

I wonder if it was a pang of conscience or action from outside.
    Much more likely to be the latter I'd say.

I find him insufferable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I’d guess that the suspicion/dislike of Paul Thorpe has little to do with his social background and a lot to do with good judgement.

I have no proper basis for the opinion I've formed of Paul Thorpe, but the few short YouTube videos I've seen have given me a strong aversion to the chap and I wouldn't wish to sell anything to him never mind buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Claiming he’s a journalist by posting up a very amateurish recorded telephone call with an unaware lady in a random Rolex AD is the equivalent of saying Dark Justice are police officers.
    He is as much a journalist as is another who claims to be one: Tommy Robinson.

IMO.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    He is as much a journalist as is another who claims to be one: Tommy Robinson.

IMO.

R
    Lol

I suspect one of the reasons Paul rubs people up the wrong way (myself included) is because he doesn't seem to really have much passion or interest in watches at all.

He's a ex-dealer, he was in watches for the money (nothing wrong with that right - it's a job), and his YouTube content is geared towards that perspective. It's all about how to get one, what you should pay for one, what to do once you have one, is it going to get nicked and how to sell it on. Very little about the actual.... watch!

He's not going to appeal to us because we're not his audience. But let's not forget, we're not really the Rolex target audience either, and that's the subject of 95% of his content.

I watched this the other day, was going to post it up but thought we've all probably had enough Rolex AD talk and rumours, but as we're on the subject matter, here he is again..

Master
    Blog Entries
    He takes too long to get to the point for me ... I can’t watch any of these.