closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dot's Plum pudding

Dot's Plum pudding

I was blessed to have the archetype of all grannies. Dot was headstrong; widowed in her thirties with two small children she took life in her stride and her gran skills were boundless. One of my most treasured possessions is her recipe for Plum Pudding, which I offer here as I think you might like it. Very traditional, very easy.

All the ingredients can be had in Tesco (and I presume anywhere else). Making it just involves throwing everything in a massive bowl and stirring, so it's great to do with the kids and really makes them feel involved in the big day. You can make it anytime between now and 25 Dec (I normally do 1 December) and it will keep no problem. So, without further ado:

Shopping list
    - 85gms (3oz) Raisins
    - 85gms (3oz) Sultanas
    - 85gms (3oz) Currants
    - 57gms (2oz) Peel
    - 57gms (2oz) Glacé cherries (quartered)
    - 85gms (3oz) Shredded Suet
    - 57gms (2oz) Flour (either sort)
    - Mixed spice (as required)
    - 57gms (2oz) Breadcrumbs
    - 2 Eggs
    - 60mls (1/8 pint) Milk
    - 240mls (1/2 pint) Ale or Stout
    - Good glug of Spirits
    - 85gms (3oz) Brown Sugar
    - Spoonful marmalade
    - 1 Dessert sp Treacle

Method
    - put everything in a big bowl
    - get everyone to give it a stir (and make a wish)
    - put it into a greased bowl (I use a 1L pyrex one)
    - cover with cling film and microwave on 800W for 10mins
    - remove carefully (very hot) and change the clingfilm for a fresh one
    - keep somewhere cool and dry.

Serving
    - microwave on 800W for 5mins
    - turn out onto a plate
    - heat some whiskey or brandy in a glass (15secs at 800W) and pour over
    - carry to the table and light

I'd be thrilled to think of other families enjoying Dot's recipe - let me know if you try it :)

(By the way, the historic method of cooking this involves boiling for 6 1/2 hours, but after a lot of trial-and error I have been microwaving successfully for the last decade, so much less hassle)
    Last edited by JGJG; 1st December 2020 at 22:07.

Bonus tip: fry up a slice of this in the pan on Boxing Day morning and serve it up with blue cheese on top for a cracking breakfast.

Thanks for that JGJG.
    I have already made my puddings (on "Stir-up Sunday, 9 days ago) but I have copied it and filed for next year. I will call it after Dot of course.

I make individual puddings, in one-serving size foil bowls intended for Suet Puddings. That means they have to be cooked the traditional way, but the payback comes when I freeze them all. I can then defrost them and have one any time of the year as well as a sensible-sized portion on Christmas Day.

Looks great. I'll give it a go.

No plums in it?

Thanks for this. I'll have a crack at it. Very traditional and with some nice secrets in there which I assume evolved over the years through trial and error. Will raise a glass to Dot as well. I love recipes that involve spirits as it'd be rude not to partake of a glass at the same time :)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Great to hear it might get a few extra servings this year :)

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    Looks great. I'll give it a go.
    No plums in it?
    Yep, no plums. The dried fruit can be mixed up a bit (dried apricot, cranberries, whatever) if you keep the pieces small and end up with the same overall weight of fruit. I’d retain the peel though.

Cheers JGJG (and Dot)

Am in between microwaves at the moment (dont ask) and already have a shop bought one for this year, but have made a note of the recipe and may give it a bash next year

If you haven’t a microwave, cook in the traditional way by steaming in a large saucepan of water.
    Imagine Dot would have done it like this originally.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    If you haven’t a microwave, cook in the traditional way by steaming in a large saucepan of water.
    Imagine Dot would have done it like this originally.
    Yes, exactly - and I did too for my first few years as custodian of the pudding. But it’s a ton of hassle: 6 1/2 hours, walls dripping with condensation, checking on it every few mins. So about a decade ago I made a load of test puds and set about trialling microwave powers and timings. It works so well I feel a little guilty ;)

A bump for the weekend cooks :)

Master
    Lovely story and I'll remember this for next year. I stirred one up on stir up Sunday. The recipe was very similar and I ended up steaming it. Do people 'feed' their pudding? I have in the past, but my daughter isn't a fan of anything too boozy so I'm holding of this year. I did add a generous glug of brandy as I made it. :) The flaming brandy will probably be enough, her only other option will be sherry (probably Madeira) trifle.

Also do you serve with brandy butter or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    Lovely story and I'll remember this for next year. I stirred one up on stir up Sunday. The recipe was very similar and I ended up steaming it. Do people 'feed' their pudding? I have in the past, but my daughter isn't a fan of anything too boozy so I'm holding of this year. I did add a generous glug of brandy as I made it. :) The flaming brandy will probably be enough, her only other option will be sherry (probably Madeira) trifle.

Also do you serve with brandy butter or something else?
    I don’t tend to feed the pudding, no, though am fairly heavy-handed with both the spirits and the Guinness when making.

For serving, brandy butter gets my vote, though we tend to have cream and custard on hand too for those of a less discerning palette ;) And blue cheese topper for a fried slice next morning - usually with a good draught of claret....