closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Wine Glasses

Wine Glasses

Just had a decent delivery of Italian wine that should see us through Christmas if I can hold off starting on it

I have had decent wine glasses and the Riedel are lovely but so thin we break them regularly

I’m looking for some stylish and simple suggestions that maybe in the £7 each range that could possibly go in the dishwasher - something nicer than your supermarket offering

I’m sure the TZ crowd will come up with some great suggestions

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

We use these from John Lewis. Decent enough quality and the rim isn’t too thick and clumpy. Cheap enough to not worry when we (I) break them.

https://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-partners-vino-red-wine-glasses-set-of-4-500ml/p4181449

We use glasses by Chef & Sommelier as our everyday glasses and keep the Riedel ones for best.

They are widely used in the restaurant trade and are a sensible well priced alternative to the cheaper end of the Riedel range.

They are also in the price range you have mentioned and ok to go in a dishwasher.

Quite widely available. Link here to give you an idea of the range.
    https://www.drinkstuff.com/products/...l#.X8ZsmhrfWhA

I went from Riedel to Krosno via Amazon, glasses £5 each as opposed to £60 each, so I am far less bothered when they are broken

Craftsman
    The Korin Sena is about the least expensive decent wine glass you can buy. Right now they are on sale for less than $5 per.

https://www.korin.com/GL-D105_2

Master
    I prefer smaller glasses and bought some Riedel Ouverture white wine mainly due to the size. The glasses and they have been great so far. You can usually pick them up for £10 each so slightly over budget for the OP.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregR View Post
    I went from Riedel to Krosno via Amazon, glasses £5 each as opposed to £60 each, so I am far less bothered when they are broken
    I hadn't heard of Krosno. I just had a look and the price is great and they have them in the 200-250ml size I like. I will be buying some of these.

Some great suggestions here thanks

I am also trying to avoid the oversized 23cm tall stuff !

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    that could possibly go in the dishwasher
    Dishwasher always seems to turn our glasses opaque quite quickly.

We're happy to use glasses from the Ridel Vinum range (I also have some of their more expensive ones for port but it's difficult to justify the eye-watering prices - particularly given they are not as robust as traditional lead crystal) which I realise are over your budget. Whatever you do, try to buy something you can get spares for 5, 10 or 20 years hence - I've made that mistake before.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I don’t understand this need to stick wine glasses in a dishwasher. It takes only moments to wash them by hand and it’s a lot better for them.

Oh...and I can’t recommend anything that hasn’t already been mentioned I’m afraid.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfupanda View Post
    We use these from John Lewis. Decent enough quality and the rim isn’t too thick and clumpy. Cheap enough to not worry when we (I) break them.

https://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis...500ml/p4181449
    Use these too, great quality for the price. Nice and big for savouring the flavour/necking half a pint of red and cheap enough that I'm not fussed if we break them. Have been dishwashing the same one for the last year and it's not clouded up yet.

I brought some white wine glasses from coffeecups.co.uk which are also very reasonably priced and decent quality.

Master
    Morrison's do 4 really nice crystal glasses(red and white )l for £10.
    Nice modern plain shaped ones.
    We go through a lot of glasses as a lot are broken in the dishwasher and the good stuff is now kept away in boxes.

Arcoroc.
    Available online through most good catering suppliers.
    Stylish, nice too use and very tough...catering quality.

Master
    ROC Crystal aren’t bad at all and fairly thick. Plenty on Amazon and elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    We use glasses by Chef & Sommelier as our everyday glasses and keep the Riedel ones for best.

They are widely used in the restaurant trade and are a sensible well priced alternative to the cheaper end of the Riedel range.

They are also in the price range you have mentioned and ok to go in a dishwasher.

Quite widely available. Link here to give you an idea of the range.
    https://www.drinkstuff.com/products/...l#.X8ZsmhrfWhA
    Chef and Sommelier Grand Cepages 350ml ordered. 6 for £28. Will report back as to quality but seem to be what I am looking for.

Unbelievable choice from just this one brand and thanks for all the suggestions

Master
    I was thinking of some new wine glasses myself funnily enough and this has reminded me that Dartington Crystal is up the road from em so I may take a look there.

I can recommend spiegelau authentis. Looks good, doesn’t break, not ridiculously large. We bought the white wine glasses as they fit easily in the dishwasher. Good shape and size for most wines. You prob know it but this separate red/white wine glass idea is just to be able to sell more glasses.

https://www.spiegelau.com/en/product...ail/authentis/
    Last edited by jonasy; 1st December 2020 at 20:28.

Master
    These for my daily drinkers - https://www.ascotwholesale.co.uk/riedel-degustazione Good quality and reasonably priced. SWMBO seems to break them on the taps and in the dishwasher :-(
    Cheers,
    Nigel

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I was thinking of some new wine glasses myself funnily enough and this has reminded me that Dartington Crystal is up the road from em so I may take a look there.
    That’s what I use for every day use. Excellent value.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
    That’s what I use for every day use. Excellent value.
    +1 on Dartington.

We were given a pair of Dartington tall stem white wine glasses with an order from Laithwaites a while ago which are great quality but couldn’t find a way of getting more. I think they are exclusive to Laithwaites ( signature series). I recently discovered that they are now available to order for £20 a pair so have ordered some more. Wouldn’t put them in the dishwasher tho.

Master
    It is pointless buying good quality wine glasses as you will never use them. We have a set of Waterford crystal, a set of opaque German ones which made the Waterfords look cheap and some early Georgian ones.

I cannot remember the last time we used them due to fear of breaking them.

For normal use we bought a dozen glasses from Waitrose and if they get broke, we bung them in the recycle bin. They look perfectly OK for normal use.

Master
    Daily ones are Villeroy & Boch glasses, decent enough & the right mix of thin but still thick enough to not worry.

Their champagne flutes of the same range are very thin though & hate washing them up for fear of breaking them in my bare hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    Some great suggestions here thanks

I am also trying to avoid the oversized 23cm tall stuff !

I went stemless - a treat in the dishwasher - nice and thin and none broken (yet!)

Dartington Crystal <£18 for four

Dartington Crystal Tony Laithwaite Stemless Tumbler, 9 x 9 x 11.7 cm https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XGCRLP1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_64QXFbCDWGJ0Y

Dartington Crystal Tony Laithwaite Stemless Tumbler, 9 x 9 x 11.7 cm https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XGCRLP1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_64QXFbCDWGJ0Y
    Last edited by Wolfie; 1st December 2020 at 22:02.

Craftsman
    Use these for everyday use, if they break, no big deal, yet to break one yet in 2 years

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/...wine-glass-4pk

Wine Glasses

We are still using the Dartington crystal glasses we got as Wedding gifts.

We ended up with a full set of Red, white, champagne, port and dessert glasses!

Still going strong after 17 years but can’t say the port or dessert glasses have had much use beyond Christmas!

Last edited by paw3001; 1st December 2020 at 22:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I went stemless - a treat in the dishwasher - nice and thin and none broken (yet!)

Dartington Crystal <£18 for four

Dartington Crystal Tony Laithwaite Stemless Tumbler, 9 x 9 x 11.7 cm https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XGCRL..._64QXFbCDWGJ0Y

Dartington Crystal Tony Laithwaite Stemless Tumbler, 9 x 9 x 11.7 cm https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XGCRL..._64QXFbCDWGJ0Y
    Just doesn’t feel right drinking wine out of a stemless glass!

Quote Originally Posted by jonasy View Post
    I can recommend spiegelau authentis. Looks good, doesn’t break, not ridiculously large. We bought the white wine glasses as they fit easily in the dishwasher. Good shape and size for most wines. You prob know it but this separate red/white wine glass idea is just to be able to sell more glasses.

https://www.spiegelau.com/en/product...ail/authentis/
    Maybe something from here...link?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    Just doesn’t feel right drinking wine out of a stemless glass!
    Completely agree with you, awful experience. Laugh waiters keep giving me them & I keep giving them to a friend.

I hate seeing finger prints on glasses, so need a stem to keep me from cleaning it eternally.

People wrapping their hands around wine glasses, especially white or bubbles make me cringe when I top their glasses up, all smeared with fingerprints and grease!

For everyday plonk, we use Duralex tumblers; they feel nice in the hand, dishwash happily and appear to be more-or-less indestructible.

For special wine or special occasions, we have some Richard Brendon/Jancis Robinson “The Wine Glass” glasses, which are dishwasher safe and work well for any wine, including fizz. They’re expensive but we have been very happy with them so far.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain View Post
    For everyday plonk, we use Duralex tumblers; they feel nice in the hand, dishwash happily and appear to be more-or-less indestructible.
    I'm a big fan of Duralex tumblers. I also considered them indestructible, but my kids are on a mission to prove me wrong. I sometimes use them for quaffing plonk, especially rose in the summer. While I don't like stemless glasses, tumblers seem right to me, maybe based on memories of Mediterranean holidays.

In a similar vein I like Bourdain's sentiment from his Les Halles cookbook. Serve your guests "an outrageously expensive Burgundy in cheap glasses to show who's their Daddy"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I'm a big fan of Duralex tumblers. I also considered them indestructible, but my kids are on a mission to prove me wrong. I sometimes use them for quaffing plonk, especially rose in the summer. While I don't like stemless glasses, tumblers seem right to me, maybe based on memories of Mediterranean holidays.

In a similar vein I like Bourdain's sentiment from his Les Halles cookbook. Serve your guests "an outrageously expensive Burgundy in cheap glasses to show who's their Daddy"
    Quite right - have used them for years; Duralex picardie - you can get from Drinkstuff. I always serve wine in them.

B

Wine Glasses

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Quite right - have used them for years; Duralex picardie - you can get from Drinkstuff. I always serve wine in them.

B
    And they make a nice chink!

Duralex have survived in complete sets.

Riedel are now various odd-numbered, part sets.

Inherited cut-glass clutters the shelves gathering dust in their varying patterns and numbers. Can’t stand them, but forced to keep them for sentimental reasons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 2nd December 2020 at 15:18.

Och, who needs to drink wine from flimsy, long-stemmed flutes when you can quaff from big chunky glasses!

These are ours, made from recycled glass, robust with a delicate colour and weight to them, stable with a short stem and base, and costing, if I remember correctly, around the aforementioned fiver.

Unfortunately, the only thing I don’t remember, is where I bought them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We use Ikea cheap glasses - bullet proof.

Master
    For "normal" use we use the Dartington stemless. We also have a wedding present crystal set for special occasions.

As others have mentioned Villeroy and Boch. The Vivo range has red and white glasses as well as tumblers, Ocado have a deal on at the moment.

https://www.ocado.com/products/ville...56ml-266896011

Craftsman
    I buy LSA, available from loads of places inc John Lewis.

Master
    We have LSA as well for all but the most special of occasions when my fathers lead crystal glasses are given an airing.
    Personally I find stemless glasses (or those with a very short stem) are broken less often as they are more stable.
    For this reason I find my Bodum double walled coffee glasses are being used more often - they also prevent condensation on chilled drinks and keep the drink cooler for longer so throwing tradition to the wind may have some merits too.

I really like Dartington wine glasses. We have a large number of their crystal glasses which were from our Wedding list. We also have some of their everyday wine glasses which can be bought for around £4 each on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P;[URL="tel:5604423"
    5604423[/URL]]

For normal use we bought a dozen glasses from Waitrose and if they get broke, we bung them in the recycle bin. They look perfectly OK for normal use.
    I didn’t think you could recycle drinking glasses.

Master
    I’ve had a lovely 7 mile walk on the Tarka Trail this morning (Yarde and Petrockstowe if anyone is interested) and popped into Dartington on my way back and spent around £300 RRP on glasses - actually cost me around £70. Factory pricing and a couple of them aren’t perfect, not that you’d really tell. Only bought two wine glasses. Mixture of things. I love a thick glass at the base.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by engeew View Post
    These for my daily drinkers - https://www.ascotwholesale.co.uk/riedel-degustazione Good quality and reasonably priced. SWMBO seems to break them on the taps and in the dishwasher :-(
    Cheers,
    Nigel
    Just received a box of 12 of these. I must say amazing value, they compare very favourably with my expensive Riedel ones.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

I’ve resorted to using my Dartington crystal whisky tumblers as my two overly excitable cats have destroyed too many of my wine glasses with their higher C of G.

On a visit to the Lake District I bought some modern Cumbria Crystal glasses a few years ago, they get used regularly and so far not a chip, not one has been broken, they seem pretty bomb proof, not cheap though

Master
    Dartington do some 'normal' glasses like these, bit thicker and heavier and less fragile than some crystal ones:

https://www.dartington.co.uk/wine-ba...wine-pair.html