closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: TK Maxx - Hamilton Chrono, H-31 and minute hand of chrono

Master

TK Maxx - Hamilton Chrono, H-31 and minute hand of chrono

HI

I think a few others out there recently bought the nice Khaki chrono from TK Maxx with the H-31 movement.

I have had two now, both with the same issue, so wondering if I am missing something.

On both, the minute hand does not reset to 0 when resetting the chrono. Also, on each one the minute hand sometimes jumps on reset by a few seconds in either direction. Which is probably what means it is set wrong anyhow.
    So it seems like a fault on both, but maybe I am doing some unknown sequence to cause it??

Anyone else had this or got any ideas?

Thanks
    James

Quote Originally Posted by jamesnw View Post
    HI

I think a few others out there recently bought the nice Khaki chrono from TK Maxx with the H-31 movement.

I have had two now, both with the same issue, so wondering if I am missing something.

On both, the minute hand does not reset to 0 when resetting the chrono. Also, on each one the minute hand sometimes jumps on reset by a few seconds in either direction. Which is probably what means it is set wrong anyhow.
    So it seems like a fault on both, but maybe I am doing some unknown sequence to cause it??

Anyone else had this or got any ideas?

Thanks
    James
    Do you mean the time hands and not the chrono hands? Either way it sounds like a fault to me.
    It should be straight forward to set, just like any other watch, top button start stop bottom button reset.

Master
    I mean the minute hand on the subdial of the chrono. Yes I think it must be a fault.

Getting two with the same issue seems unlikely... but I can't see what else it can be.

Annoying as I like the watch.... cheap for a reason lol.

I have just had a quick check on mine, and it is absolutely spot on, both seconds and minutes reset dead on 0

A

I am not familiar with this particular movement, but a lot of the quartz chronos have a lap feature, so if you press the reset when it is running, it logs a time that it jumps to when you stop it. Could that be what is happening?
    Most of the ETA ones also have an ability to move the zero point which is enacted when the crown is moved to setting position 1

Maybe that's why they're in TK maxx?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aamaci View Post
    I have just had a quick check on mine, and it is absolutely spot on, both seconds and minutes reset dead on 0

A
    sounds very boring... if you would like to swap for another one with an eccentric character then let me know :)

I have found that on both of them, if i sit there and stop start reset it for a little while, eventutally it will move back or forth a number of seconds.. wierd

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I am not familiar with this particular movement, but a lot of the quartz chronos have a lap feature, so if you press the reset when it is running, it logs a time that it jumps to when you stop it. Could that be what is happening?
    Most of the ETA ones also have an ability to move the zero point which is enacted when the crown is moved to setting position 1
    will give that a try, you never know...

move the zero point.. do you know how ?

will give that a try, you never know...

move the zero point.. do you know how ?
    This is basically a modified 7753 movement. I don’t think pressing reset while running is advised. Although I could be wrong!

Master
    not sure i can make it any worse ...

I have two currently to go back, will have a play tonight and see ... but I think I will be disappointed.

not sure i can make it any worse ...

I have two currently to go back, will have a play tonight and see ... but I think I will be disappointed.
    I think the advice above is for a Quartz Chrono only. I imagine the only way to reset a mechanical one is to open it up. Just send it back for a replacement. 3rd time lucky 😀.

My mistake, I thought it was quartz (some of the Hammy chronos are). If it is mechanical, fixing is required. It may be that returns are finding their way into the stock for sale at TK M ??

Master
    thanks for the ideas, i got nowhere, so they will be going back tomorrow to tkmaxx

That's a shame, mine seems to perform correctly.

I wish I hadn't seen this, mine now resets the minute counter to 28 mins, it is going back....
    Last edited by notnowkato; 2nd December 2020 at 13:05.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    That's a shame, mine seems to perform correctly.

I wish I hadn't seen this, mine now resets the minute counter to 28 mins, it is going back....
    oh no.. sorry..... they must have a bad batch of them

Now returned to TKM and fully refunded. I was offered a £200 contribution if I chose to keep it but decided to let them have it back. Hamilton would have sorted it under warranty,I'm sure, but will spend the funds on something else. Shame as it was a nice thing .

Master
    took mine back for a refund too this morning, was not offered the £200 though.. I might have taken that... c'est la vie..

I am going to keep an eye for it being re-offered at the store, maybe cheap if they declare the fault ..

A full service from Hamilton is only £265.00 for any automatic chronograph so it would of been worth taking the £200 sending it to Hamilton and having their 2 years warranty after the service

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

It is now being offered for sale at my local store !!! Someone will be disappointed should they give the £600 asking price.

Master
    My resolution to this was to get a different Hamilton from Ashford in the States. Worked out about £7 more after input fees. But I am pleased with the new one, all seems to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    It is now being offered for sale at my local store !!! Someone will be disappointed should they give the £600 asking price.
    A second one is now on sale there, exhibiting the same faulty reset situation. They are knowingly selling faulty goods, imagine if this became common knowledge ( only teasing, most of their stuff is wrong , one way or another)