closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: More Email Phishing Scams...collusion?

More Email Phishing Scams...collusion?

I've got a dpd delivery today from something ordered yesterday. Over a year, I'd say maybe I get 2 deliveries from dpd. This morning, I get a very convincing looking email from "dpd" saying that I had missed a delivery because they tried to deliver and I wasn't in. This was sent to the same email address I used for my genuine order.

I was pretty angry that I had to reschedule a delivery when I was actually in the house and about to click the link in the email which said I'd have to pay a redelivery fee. Just before clicking the link, I expanded the email address and found out it was a phishing email.

I've never had a dpd phishing email before and I find it too much of a coincidence I get one on the day of an expected dpd delivery, when at most I'd get 2 dpd deliveries a year and never received a dpd phishing email before.

I'm now wondering whether this is random timing, or whether the phishing scams are getting more sophisticated and someone in the shop or delivery system sells email addresses to scammers.

It’s a coincidence.

I received an email and a text last week, both purportedly from HMRC. Knew the text was a scam immediately but the email was pretty convincing at first glance. Both on the same day. Worryingly though the text said I was due a rebate, and the amount was incredibly similar although not exact to an overpayment that is lying in my account at the moment.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

You're late to the party:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...er-little-scam

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Just received an email from DPD who are a well known courier explaining that we were not in to take a parcel delivery. They were either going to return the parcel to the sender or they would reschedule another delivery for a fee.

It's a scam.
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    It’s a coincidence.
    Looking at news, DPD does seem to be a targeted company for phishing, so maybe just a coincidence as I guess if you send out a million emails, there will always be a few hits which seem more than a coincidence to the recipient that was expecting a delivery on that day.

I'd like to think I'm pretty savvy when it comes to these basic scams but it goes to show how it can catch you off your guard when the scam ties in with something you were expecting.

Nothing in the article suggests any data about DPD customers is being leaked, it says that they’re being targeted. That just means that you’ll only succumb to the scam if you’re expecting a DPD delivery, not that specific details of specific customers have been leaked or hacked.

Craftsman
    As said earlier, it’s a scam. DPD do not charge the recipient to reschedule delivery. If genuine you will have a “sorry we missed you” card through the letterbox. Then DPD attempt further delivery for up to 1 week, failing that its return to sender.
    Further to the DPD one, scammers are now “piggy-backing” on a genuine Royal Mail delivery text, trying the same pay for re-delivery.
    Build up to Christmas, online shopping, scammers are “working” overtime.
    Be careful out there.
    Regards, Daz (DPD delivery driver).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    Nothing in the article suggests any data about DPD customers is being leaked, it says that they’re being targeted. That just means that you’ll only succumb to the scam if you’re expecting a DPD delivery, not that specific details of specific customers have been leaked or hacked.
    Yes, I guess it just seems odd when you have so few deliveries of that nature and on the day of delivery they manage to get an email into your inbox, especially when I don't get many other phishing emails.

But as you say, if they send out a million of these emails, there will always be a few people who will be in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I guess if you send out a million emails, there will always be a few hits which seem more than a coincidence to the recipient that was expecting a delivery on that day.
    This^^^^ - except that they send out many tens or hundreds of millions of emails. Most of these get blocked by spam traps upstream of your ISP, but some will always get through.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Yes, I guess it just seems odd when you have so few deliveries of that nature and on the day of delivery they manage to get an email into your inbox, especially when I don't get many other phishing emails.

But as you say, if they send out a million of these emails, there will always be a few people who will be in this situation.
    It’s a numbers game, they almost hooked you and no doubt did others .... shame the tech has yet to be developed to stop this

Likewise

I had a delivery last week from from DPD no issues, then on Sunday I received a dodgy looking email from DPD supposedly telling me exactly the same, that I'd missed a delivery that morning and needed to pay for a re-delivery.

Neither my wife or I have left the house since early March and our dog is like an early warning device so there was no attempted delivery in my mind.

I was actually expecting another delivery so i emailed to sellers to ask who was due to deliver this particular item and they said Royal Mail !!!!

They admitted they have had a number of issues recently with customers contacting them for exactly the same reason and it's being investigated.

Absolute toe-rags.

I guess with lockdowns and the rapid rise of online shopping this year, its a growing industry!

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    shame the tech has yet to be developed to stop this
    The technology has already been developed (see, for example, SPF) but the problem is one of deployment. To be fully effective would require all the components (servers, gateways, clients, etc) involved in the end-to-end transmission of email to be updated to utilise this technology.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    The technology has already been developed (see, for example, SPF) but the problem is one of deployment. To be fully effective would require all the components (servers, gateways, clients, etc) involved in the end-to-end transmission of email to be updated to utilise this technology.
    That tech exists; I want some bit of AI on my client (or server) to do the whole blocking bit without getting the genuine stuff.