closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Crown Position ??

Journeyman

Crown Position ??

10 & 4 O'clock Crown Positions.
    Am considering a purchase and have a choice of crown position.
    At first I quite fancied the 10 o'clock as a bit unusual, then wondered if it looked odd etc, in the end confused myself now cant make up my mind. So any useful thoughts, considerations or opinions? Many thanks in advance.

I'd choose 4 for myself because, being a righty, it would feel weird for me to have the crown on the 'other side'. The only other consideration that comes to mind is if a crown at 3 has ever got in the way or dug in your wrist too deep or too rough (although moved down to 4 that already shouldn't be a problem anymore).

Sinn UX by any chance? I've had both and was forever putting the 10 o'clock crown version on my wrist upside down.

Jaunty angle for me.

Master
    Definitely 4o’clock for me. I used to really dislike 4o’clock crown until I fell for Seiko’s charms in the SKX and SLA. Love them now.

10 o’clock..er.., no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 o’clock usually looks ace.

Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    Definitely 4o’clock for me. I used to really dislike 4o’clock crown until I fell for Seiko’s charms in the SKX and SLA. Love them now.

10 o’clock..er.., no.
    Agreed. If you're not a lefty, it might be a right faff to set the watch when already on wrist.

3 ...symmetrical is better to me

Master
    Are we talking about the position of the logo on the crown head when it’s screwed down?

If so, it’s a rather minor thing to worry about?

None of my expensive watches line up, but most of my cheap ones do (precisely). Unsure why, though it is pleasing.

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Are we talking about the position of the logo on the crown head when it’s screwed down?

If so, it’s a rather minor thing to worry about?

None of my expensive watches line up, but most of my cheap ones do (precisely). Unsure why, though it is pleasing.
    No we're not talking about the position of the logo on the crown head.

3 or 4 for me.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

3, 4 or 9
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Interesting; had no idea some watches offered a choice of location of crown relative to the case! I’m going to look into it! I thought it was about the logo screwing down and appearing correctly oriented.

Having thought about this for the first time ever just now, I think the 4/5 o’clock position (for a watch worn on the left wrist) would be ideal. But I suppose symmetry always wins out which is why (AFAIK) most mainstream watches only offer the standard 3 o’clock crown position.

What watches offer a crown at 4/5 o’clock? Is there a name for this style?

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Interesting; had no idea some watches offered a choice of location of crown relative to the case! I’m going to look into it! I thought it was about the logo screwing down and appearing correctly oriented.

Having thought about this for the first time ever just now, I think the 4/5 o’clock position (for a watch worn on the left wrist) would be ideal. But I suppose symmetry always wins out which is why (AFAIK) most mainstream watches only offer the standard 3 o’clock crown position.

What watches offer a crown at 4/5 o’clock? Is there a name for this style?
    Seiko Turtle probably the most famous.

It's called an offset crown, but most just describe them as 'crown at X' depending on where on the case it is.

The Monsters of course...

... but my favourite Seiko offering:

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Ah, of course! I’m really not a Seiko guy but I recognise these.

The more I think about it, the more I think they should be more widely offered.

It’s a bit like those VC driving watches (apologies if I’ve mixed up my brands again!) where the whole watch is at 45degrees for ‘easier viewing’ whilst driving. I don’t think I’d like one of those, but someone clearly had an idea!

Master
    I love a crown at 4 even though I wear my watch on my right wrist (I'm right handed). To me it looks so much better than a crown at 3 which somehow just looks a bit plain?

Craftsman
    As 10 o’clock is on the left side of the dial, it would suggest that option is aimed at left-handed people, but in that case wouldn’t the equivalent of 4 o’clock righty, be 8 o’clock lefty? 10 o’clock seems almost as awkward for lefties as righties.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    As 10 o’clock is on the left side of the dial, it would suggest that option is aimed at left-handed people, but in that case wouldn’t the equivalent of 4 o’clock righty, be 8 o’clock lefty? 10 o’clock seems almost as awkward for lefties as righties.
    I don't think so. As a righty I wouldn't mind the crown at 2.

I'm going to be picky here;
    3 on anything dressy or where the crown is unlikely to dig in to my wrist. Works well for chronographs too as the pushers locate well for right handed people
    4 for divers with big crowns
    9 is great for a diver IF it is quartz, so you don't need to adjust the time often (EZM2).

Having said that, my favourite watch is the EZM1, which is wrong on all levels, given what I said above.

Finally, I cannot fathom the logic of a crown at 10, regardless of whether you are right or left handed - it's inaccessible. Likewise, I have a Citizen Promaster with the crown at 8 and it looks great but isn't very convenient

What was that bonkers looking thing with crown at 12, became a darling here for a moment, about a year ago?
    Cannot remember if it was a Timefactors or other micro brand.
    A sort of brushed grey metal. Mad. Quite attractive

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    What was that bonkers looking thing with crown at 12, became a darling here for a moment, about a year ago?
    A sort of brushed grey metal. Mad. Quite attractive

PRS 40

http://www.timefactors.com/smithsprs40auto.htm

Dare I admit to having a preference for a crown 8 o'clock.

O I forgot that I have few crown at 12

Master

Question

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    A sort of brushed grey metal. Mad. Quite attractive.
    If not a Seiko, was it a Citizen Bullhead?

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    That was it! Love it.
    Could not quite bring myself to buy one though.

I always liked the Seiko crown at 4- but for me, as long as it is on the right of the case I do not care where.
    I wear them on my right wrist - and I have no idea how you lot tolerate a watch with crown at 3 on your left wrists.

I find chronos easier to operate when worn on the right - much more comfortable motion to reach over the watch and depress the pushers with index or other finger, whilst left thumb braced against the left side of the case.

It’s much more awkward when worn on the left!

Master
    Something I’d never even considered until I read this thread. Now it’s got to be 12

Journeyman

Thanks everyone......

Well that generated a little interest, and everyone likes a a Bullhead.
    I have pulled the trigger at 10 o,clock, the piece is a little unusual and the crown did appear to stick out a bit so the 4 o,clock may possibly still bite a bit as I have a tendency for below the knuckle.
    Although as was pointed out maybe certain watches suit a certain configuration.
    I think in the end the watch is a little bit different to the regular diver so went all in.
    I will post a pic when arrives and you can all kill it or love it.... Thanks again.

Godd I've seen a few Seiko mods with a 10 o clock crown and quite liked the look of them, what have you gone for?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wolff View Post
    I'm going to be picky here;
    3 on anything dressy or where the crown is unlikely to dig in to my wrist. Works well for chronographs too as the pushers locate well for right handed people
    4 for divers with big crowns
    9 is great for a diver IF it is quartz, so you don't need to adjust the time often (EZM2).

Having said that, my favourite watch is the EZM1, which is wrong on all levels, given what I said above.

Finally, I cannot fathom the logic of a crown at 10, regardless of whether you are right or left handed - it's inaccessible. Likewise, I have a Citizen Promaster with the crown at 8 and it looks great but isn't very convenient
    I'm left handed, and I think a 10 o clock crown would sit perfectly between my thumb and index finger.

Craftsman
    I had an ezm3 with the crown at 9 o clock. It was definitely a comfy watch to wear, but I never got used to seeing it on the 'wrong' side. I've had a cwc diver as my daily wearer for a few years now and definitely know when the strap isn't tight enough as the crown digs into the back of my hand.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk