closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex allocation and an incoming ...

Rolex allocation and an incoming ...

I got the call from my Rolex AD this afternoon. Their Rolex allocation had arrived and I had my name down for one of the new 41mm non-date submariners. That didn't materialise, but the date submariner did instead. As I'm always forgetting important things, such as the date, this is probably a good thing all round. I'm not sure what else was in the post but I'm really looking forward to picking up this new watch later this week. Pictures will follow!

Master
    I think there's a specific thread for incoming watches. When they actually arrive that is.

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    I think there's a specific thread for incoming watches. When they actually arrive that is.
    Of course. Will find that.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    I got the call from my Rolex AD this afternoon. Their Rolex allocation had arrived and I had my name down for one of the new 41mm non-date submariners. That didn't materialise, but the date submariner did instead. As I'm always forgetting important things, such as the date, this is probably a good thing all round. I'm not sure what else was in the post but I'm really looking forward to picking up this new watch later this week. Pictures will follow!
    That’s exactly what happened to me. I took the date version and asked to keep my place in the queue for the non-date and it seems to have gone down okay.

Good to see that the lists are actually coming to fruition. Be sure to post pics on the wrist when you get it. looks great in the ads.

Craftsman
    I hope there’s more posts about incomings in the coming weeks. I know some of us gripe about the lack of availability. Imagine the AD fielding dozens of calls each day giving the same message - no stock to sell!

Master
    Congratulations! Cannot go wrong with either version. Personally I like the symmetry of the ND, but I like having a date to look at if I cannot be bothered to get my phone out of my pocket or am not in front of a computer screen...I will say this quietly but I also like the cyclops.

Congratulations, enjoy the lugs when you get it.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Congratulations, enjoy the lugs when you get it.
    Ha ha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    That’s exactly what happened to me. I took the date version and asked to keep my place in the queue for the non-date and it seems to have gone down okay.
    That seems a bit odd. Presumably there were people who had their name down for the date version so what's the rationale for them not getting it? The answer is none, I guess, because they don't have chronological lists.

Craftsman
    Congratulations, nice to see your average person getting them. Is this an AD you bought from before?

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I picked up the new No Date Sub today from an AD. Curiously when I went to speak to them just before Lockdown 2 they said they couldn’t release the new 41mm Sub to me because they were still in possession of a few of the older 114060s. Interesting that they hadn’t sold out of the oldies by November.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by cart3rlfc View Post
    Congratulations, nice to see your average person getting them. Is this an AD you bought from before?

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
    Yes, I have a purchase history with this AD including Rolex and Omega models.

I'm picking it up on Wednesday and I'm planning a little review of it alongside my current daily wear - a 2009 16610.

When I got the call I was offered a choice between the old one and the new 41mm.
    Go figure.....

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wits View Post
    When I got the call I was offered a choice between the old one and the new 41mm.
    Go figure.....

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Which did you choose? Or both?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I went to an AD in Knightsbridge today that I’ve got a purchase history with,was told I need to buy another watch (that I don’t want), just to get on the list for a new submariner,she said if I do that then the wait for it won’t be too long. I just don’t want to buy a watch I don’t want

Quote Originally Posted by Rbains0708 View Post
    I went to an AD in Knightsbridge today that I’ve got a purchase history with,was told I need to buy another watch (that I don’t want), just to get on the list for a new submariner,she said if I do that then the wait for it won’t be too long. I just don’t want to buy a watch I don’t want

Let them know you're not happy about it because you really don't want one, but if you have to buy a pepsi to get on the list for a sub then so be it

Craftsman

Did they say what sort of value?

Craftsman
    Get a load of this. I went in to my AD of choice to enquire about a Professional model this week and I was told that I have bought TOO MANY professional watches from them in the calendar year. I stood there, looked the guy and said - “so you’re telling me I am too good of a customer to get another one”. They know full well I’m not a flipper. In fact I did sell one professional model a few months after buying, but I informed the AD first and got their blessing. This whole thing is a bit bonkers to be honest.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by WatchFanUK23 View Post
    Get a load of this. I went in to my AD of choice to enquire about a Professional model this week and I was told that I have bought TOO MANY professional watches from them in the calendar year. I stood there, looked the guy and said - “so you’re telling me I am too good of a customer to get another one”. They know full well I’m not a flipper. In fact I did sell one professional model a few months after buying, but I informed the AD first and got their blessing. This whole thing is a bit bonkers to be honest.

I ought to clarify that the watch I bought and on-sold was a Polar Explorer 2 - 216570 which just proved too big for me. I made a modest profit but nothing to get excited about.

How many have you managed to get this year!?

I kind of get their point... Look at it from the other perspective, there's a list of people who want them, it does seem unfair to just keep giving them to the same people

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post

I kind of get their point... Look at it from the other perspective, there's a list of people who want them, it does seem unfair to just keep giving them to the same people
    6!

Craftsman

I agree to a certain extent but it’s somewhat ironic that if you don’t have a track record you get nothing and if you have too much of a track record you get nothing. There’s obviously a “Goldilocks” element to this. Also worth pointing out that I have been buying some of these on behalf of close friends who aren’t able to access the watches otherwise, so I am spreading the goodwill.

6!
    January starts in three weeks, it might improve. Maybe we'll soon be seeing threads asking if the AD year resets in Jan, April, or if it's a rolling 12 months!

I bought two stainless steel sports watches from an AD before being told I was in "allocation debt" and would need to buy something else "before being considered" for others. I haven't been back to that store since but have bought five watch watches at a different AD. They did me a favour really as I much prefer the AD I go to now.

I agree to a certain extent but it’s somewhat ironic that if you don’t have a track record you get nothing and if you have too much of a track record you get nothing. There’s obviously a “Goldilocks” element to this. Also worth pointing out that I have been buying some of these on behalf of close friends who aren’t able to access the watches otherwise, so I am spreading the goodwill.

Haha don't be complaining with your 6 steel sports in a year

Master
    I have heard from an ad that they will sell a maximum of three professional models in a calendar year .

Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post
    I have heard from an ad that they will sell a maximum of three professional models in a calendar year .

This isn’t true. It all depends on the size of the dealer and how much stock they are buying from Rolex. The more stock they buy the more rarer pieces they will get.

Master
    Out of curiosity what are the 6?

6!

I’ve not heard that from any AD, but I’m sure I’ve read it on here or other forums. It’s the sort of thing which there’s a50% chance it’s true and a 50% chance it’s an easy way out for an AD to say. If people are getting 6 then it’s j likely to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by cheesycake7 View Post
    Did they say what sort of value?
    No she said I could buy any brand but preferably a Rolex would help me to get the sub, she said a datejust would be ok

Craftsman

This is exactly what they told me! but of course these are watches not regulated pharmaceuticals, so ADs have discretion to sell more than this if they want.

Craftsman
    Haha don't be complaining with your 6 steel sports in a year
    Am absolutely not complaining! I’m extremely grateful and extremely conscious that this strange year has been so very difficult for so many. My post was simply to show AD behaviour and the various different angles and thought processes (or excuses) they apply.

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=Devonian;5607985]Out of curiosity what are the 6?

Devonian, the AD has asked for my absolute discretion re posting on public forums, social media etc. and I fear if I list them out they will be able to identify me.

I know I’m being overcautious and sorry to be a spoil sport! I’ll do an SOTC at some point in time to come.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    That seems a bit odd. Presumably there were people who had their name down for the date version so what's the rationale for them not getting it? The answer is none, I guess, because they don't have chronological lists.
    I was on the list for the previous version ( ND) and had expected a call for one between 3-6 months. Dealer advised they’d’d transferred my ‘expression of interest’ to the new one. They called and said they had the new date version do I wnat it. When I collected ( 1 hour later) I confirmed I still want the no date.

I’m advised by dealer that you can have a max of three Rolex on a ‘wish list’.
    Last edited by joe narvey; 6th December 2020 at 11:05.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewood View Post
    This isn’t true. It all depends on the size of the dealer and how much stock they are buying from Rolex. The more stock they buy the more rarer pieces they will get.

Thank you for your reply. I was quoting what a manager at a branch of watches of Switzerland told me. I guess they were not telling me the truth. Thanks again for putting me straight.

Master
    Thank you for your reply. I was quoting what a manager at a branch of watches of Switzerland told me. I guess they were not telling me the truth. Thanks again for putting me straight.

Imagine that, a Rolex dealer telling you a lie or whatever it suits them to tell you.

Master
    Really cannot stand this kind of manufactured talk that some of these dealers spout.

A few that I recall:
    - Only 1 professional per year
    - Cannot buy 2 professional watches in a row
    - Lists controlled by head office
    - I can't remember the last time we had one of those in
    - We have so many clients spending £300k plus a year, so they will get these watches first
    - If you buy X you can then have the next Y that we have (although we don't know when as I can't remember the last time we had one)

All fun and games really. Maybe less fun, more games in fact.

Master
    I was on the list for the previous version ( ND) and had expected a call for one between 3-6 months. Dealer advised they’d’d transferred my ‘expression of interest’ to the new one. They called and said they had the new date version do I wnat it. When I collected ( 1 hour later) I confirmed I still want the no date.
    They must just not distinguish between "no date" and "date" models then. My point (for what it was worth) was that you were offered a watch which you hadn't asked for (date model) when someone else presumably had asked for a date model and didn't get the one that you got! Obviously they sell to you because they want to sell to you!

Master
    Somewhat academic currently!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    They must just not distinguish between "no date" and "date" models then. My point (for what it was worth) was that you were offered a watch which you hadn't asked for (date model) when someone else presumably had asked for a date model and didn't get the one that you got! Obviously they sell to you because they want to sell to you!
    That’ and I had just finished giving the AD a foot rub and was about to do their child’s school homework.

Master
    That’ and I had just finished giving the AD a foot rub and was about to do their child’s school homework.

Lucky to get away with a foot rub!

Surely all one does is buy a watch from the AD and sell it on here “in the spirit of the forum” having paid with a preloaded card allowing a good discount to your pocket?
    That way you don’t lose and everybody loves you? No? No..... how silly.... it’d never catch on