closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will Citizen become the new Seiko?

Craftsman
    Citizen suffers from a lack of "iconic" models that they can reissue and make new versions of in perpetuity, like Seiko's Alpinist, SKX, King Seiko, Turtle, 6138 chronographs, 7548 divers, Tuna, 7a28 quartz chronos and so on. The only "iconic" Citizen models I can name off the top of my head are the Aqualand and possibly their 70's bullhead chronograph.

Craftsman
    Maybe their NY0040 series of dive watches as well, although it's a bit of a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Orient itself no longer exists as a separate company it was dissolved about four years ago - I think (but have not seen) all Orients now say Epson on the back which is the actual company.

Very short version of a complex subject - there are a lot of Businesses with Seiko with the name in them because of a conglomerate called Seiko Group- one of the companies we think of as Seiko is actually a subsidiary of another company called Seiko Holdings and another is Seiko-Epson. So Seiko (the one we know) does not own Epson - although a company with Seiko in the name owns both.

Anyone want a drink?
    Thanks for the info, most enlightening.

My modern Orient is indeed marked Epson the back.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JimSclavunos View Post
    The only "iconic" Citizen models I can name off the top of my head are the Aqualand and possibly their 70's bullhead chronograph.
    And I’d add the Citizen Fugu to this list: it’s got a distinct design, decades of history (made in perpetuity), the requisite military connection (issued to Italy’s Navy SEALs) if that’s your thing, plus ample new and special editions. And let’s not forget a cool nickname, Fugu, after the lethally-poisonous puffer fish.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Orient itself no longer exists as a separate company it was dissolved about four years ago - I think (but have not seen) all Orients now say Epson on the back which is the actual company.

Very short version of a complex subject - there are a lot of Businesses with Seiko with the name in them because of a conglomerate called Seiko Group- one of the companies we think of as Seiko is actually a subsidiary of another company called Seiko Holdings and another is Seiko-Epson. So Seiko (the one we know) does not own Epson - although a company with Seiko in the name owns both.

Anyone want a drink?
    My head hurts...