closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fancy buying a Speedy Pro at 3am?

Fancy buying a Speedy Pro at 3am?

Coming to an English AD near you soon!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55126371

My contacts at EJ said they would be trialling this!!!

Master
    Actually not a bad idea, and I am strongly anti-consumerist these days.

I never go to the shops, but if I need to over Christmas (and I do need a couple of items of clothing for work), it would suit me to go at 5am, being an early bird, more than anything else.

Thought they already could open 24h TBH. Local Tesco certainly is (except Sunday).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Thought they already could open 24h TBH. Local Tesco certainly is (except Sunday).
    I read the article to mean non-food shops, eg Primark or even jewellers (!)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    And who is going to staff all these extra hours/days of trading.

if you run a retail business that is set up to open 12 hours a day, to to open 24 hours a day you need twice the staff or the existing staff to double their hours.

Maybe easier for some but more difficult for others ie, big multi nationals could manage it but smaller independents would struggle and be left at a distinct Disadvantage.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Robert Jenrick said the relaxation of the rules would allow shopping to be "more pleasant and safer".
    Just when you are leaving your London AD at 3am - keep an eye out for mopeds across the street...

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Just when you are leaving your London AD at 3am - keep an eye out for mopeds across the street...
    First thing to enter my mind. I wouldn't mind going to John Lewis or Starbucks at 3am when it's nice and quiet but I wouldn't be keen on walking out with a new Tudor/Breitling/Omega from an AD. Least of all in shopping centres with multi story car parks.

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    if you run a retail business that is set up to open 12 hours a day, to to open 24 hours a day you need twice the staff or the existing staff to double their hours.
    I don't think that there's any expectation that all shops will suddenly open 24/7. But relaxing the restrictions on opening hours will allow small businesses to open a bit earlier or stay open a bit later if that would help them. Even big businesses will need to do a cost/benefit analysis of the cost of staying open 24/7 versus the extra business they will do.

(BTW, I confidently expect that Rolex ADs will decide to only open from 03:17 to 03:19 on alternative Thursdays, in the knowledge that most of their customers would jump through whatever hoops they decide to put in place ).

What I have never understood is why shops have to close on Sunday, or at least have reduced hours. In this day and age when high streets are competing with online, you'd think the government would let them open whenever they like. Can anyone explain?

SydR
    Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    What I have never understood is why shops have to close on Sunday, or at least have reduced hours. In this day and age when high streets are competing with online, you'd think the government would let them open whenever they like. Can anyone explain?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keep_Sunday_Special

Thanks, but since 2006 thing shave shifted significantly - due for a review, perhaps? Or maybe too late?

SydR
    Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    Thanks, but since 2006 thing shave shifted significantly - due for a review, perhaps? Or maybe too late?
    The opposition in 2006 still exists. Yes 14 years is a long time without a review but I don’t think anything would change if one came about.

Seems crazy. Close the shops when most people are able to go shopping. Hm.

SydR

Fancy buying a Speedy Pro at 3am?

Not so crazy if you would be one of the staff members pressed into working a Sunday, on one of two days your partner may be off, for example.

Other option is to move to Scotland

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I used to work in retail when Sunday trading started and o-ted out of working Sundays, as was allowed back then ad it was a new thing and no one was going to be forced into Sunday working according to the law.

The amount of pressure put on the excisting staff (i was not the only one)to work Sundays being was extreme to say the least which resulted in a very unpleasant situation. I won’t go into detail but a senior member of the firm was sacked over the treatment of the staff over Sunday working.

Anyway, I still believe that stores open for far too long and think Sundays should be a day they are closed.

People only have a certain amount of money to spend no matter how long/how many days they are open.

Perhaps I’m a little old school, I understand people have busy lives but with online shopping for everything from groceries to clothes to watches to DIY, in fact if it’s for sale it’s avaible online so there is no need for 24/7 high street shopping experience.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    I used to work in retail when Sunday trading started and o-ted out of working Sundays, as was allowed back then ad it was a new thing and no one was going to be forced into Sunday working according to the law.

The amount of pressure put on the excisting staff (i was not the only one)to work Sundays being was extreme to say the least which resulted in a very unpleasant situation. I won’t go into detail but a senior member of the firm was sacked over the treatment of the staff over Sunday working.

Anyway, I still believe that stores open for far too long and think Sundays should be a day they are closed.

People only have a certain amount of money to spend no matter how long/how many days they are open.

Perhaps I’m a little old school, I understand people have busy lives but with online shopping for everything from groceries to clothes to watches to DIY, in fact if it’s for sale it’s avaible online so there is no need for 24/7 high street shopping experience.
    I can see how it might create a difficult situation for workers but it would be nice for smaller independents to be able to perhaps apply to be open on a Sunday. It just seems crazy that cities are half empty on a Sunday with shops having to close when many would be able to make good use of the time, and perhaps close on a Monday when people are at work. That's what the takeaways around here do and seems entirely sensible to me.

Craftsman
    I too lament the time when most shops did not open on Sunday, and now it is the norm. More recently I see online stores doing Sunday delivery at no extra charge. It is just progress.

Blog Entries
    Bring back the times when shops closed on a Wednesday afternoon, banks were only open on the high street between 12 and 2pm (one of my local ones still closes at 4pm). I remember the Wednesday closing happened for local stores (not the chains) even until quite recently. Oh bring back pubs closing at 10pm

Blimey, the rose tinted specs are well and truly being worn thinking life was better when we all shopped at Arwright's corner shop which would only open for a couple of hours a day.

I'm not even sure there would be a massive change anyway. Shops open on a Sunday anyway just with limited trading hours. Most stores slip Sunday hours so that they only open at 11am when Joe Public is actually out of the house and then trade until 6pm.
    Last edited by Christian; 30th November 2020 at 19:43.

Craftsman
    I’m just glad I don’t have to work Sundays; I imagine most people who do would prefer not to.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    I’m just glad I don’t have to work Sundays; I imagine most people who do would prefer not to.
    Plenty of people do in the leisure and tourist industries and many other occupations. Comes with the job. In my old job until I was made redundant, I used to be liable for work any day, 365-days of the year, pretty much guaranteed to be working Christmas and New Year. I'm now on a very routine Monday-Friday 9am-5pm on the same wage, and I'd trade back to my old job in a heartbeat if I could.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Plenty of people do in the leisure and tourist industries and many other occupations. Comes with the job. In my old job until I was made redundant, I used to be liable for work any day, 365-days of the year, pretty much guaranteed to be working Christmas and New Year. I'm now on a very routine Monday-Friday 9am-5pm on the same wage, and I'd trade back to my old job in a heartbeat if I could.
    Going a bi off topic (perhaps) but as part of my old job in tech infrastructure we invariably had to work strange hours - either over-night / evenings or late / early weekends / holidays, to release new patches and updates to infrastructure components (ever wonder why you bank online site is 'down for maintenance' at 1am Sunday morning?) - then back in the office Monday 7am. Don't miss that at all! The worst we Disaster Recovery Tests - waiting for hours for someone else to do something and 12hrs of your day sat waiting and then reboot a server or two and reconnect some services.. boring!

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    I read the article to mean non-food shops, eg Primark or even jewellers (!)
    Are there different rules for food/non-food?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Are there different rules for food/non-food?
    Don't think there is any restriction for Monday-Saturday for any shop, food or non-food. On Sunday, shops over a certain size can only open for 6 consecutive hours between 10am and 6pm. The sale of alcohol is separately covered by other legislation.