closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Can someone explain the purpose of the rotating bezel on a Rolex GMT-IIC?

Craftsman

Can someone explain the purpose of the rotating bezel on a Rolex GMT-IIC?

Hi all,

Suspect I’m being a bit thick here, but can someone explain why the bezel on a GMT-IIC is rotating and not fixed?

Surely if there are no 24 hour markets on the dial or the rehaut, then the bezel can be fixed because the 24 hr hand can be moved to the correct position via the crown.

Some watches have the 24 hour markets on the dial or rehaut. In this case I understand why the bezel can move as it can be moved to show a third time zone.

Regards,
    Effortless

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Effortless View Post
    Hi all,

Suspect I’m being a bit thick here, but can someone explain why the bezel on a GMT-IIC is rotating and not fixed?

Surely if there are no 24 hour markets on the dial or the rehaut, then the bezel can be fixed because the 24 hr hand can be moved to the correct position via the crown.

Some watches have the 24 hour markets on the dial or rehaut. In this case I understand why the bezel can move as it can be moved to show a third time zone.

Regards,
    Effortless
    Yep "the bezel can move as it can be moved to show a third time zone"

If you want to keep track of a different time zone for a brief period (e.g. UTZ) it’s quicker to turn a bezel than re adjust the time.

Master
    Third time zone mate although it kind of useless still cool

Don’t forget that on the GMT Master, the GMT hand can’t be set independently to the hour hand. So the bezel was the only way to show a 2nd time zone.

The Master II just kept the same bezel (thereby giving it a third time zone).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Don’t forget that on the GMT Master, the GMT hand can’t be set independently to the hour hand. So the bezel was the only way to show a 2nd time zone.

True it can’t be set independently (quickset) but it still can be set

Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    I had a 1675 pre-quickset, which was fixed to the hour hand and the bezel was the only way to set to a different time zone. The 24 hour hand seemed to only indicate AM or PM and not much else.

Bezel may also be used as a compass. You set the GMT hand to local time and locate it towards the sun. The 12-hour marker on the dial now points north (in the northern hemisphere) or south (in the southern hemisphere).

Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    On my 16750, the GMT hand is effectively locked to the hour hand (like WR says for the 1675). So, unless you change the time, it can’t be ‘set’.

Master
    You answered your own question.

Quote Originally Posted by Effortless View Post
    Hi all,

Q: Can someone explain why the bezel on a GMT-IIC is rotating and not fixed?

A: It can be moved to show a third time zone.

Regards,
    Effortless
    You're welcome.

Master
    I would de-emphasise the 3 time zone angle, that requires memory/simple math, and not directly readable from the watch. Would be better if they put another 24hr scale on the rehaut/dial.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    I would de-emphasise the 3 time zone angle, that requires memory/simple math, and not directly readable from the watch. Would be better if they put another 24hr scale on the rehaut/dial.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk
    I agree, reading the third time zone is not instinctive or possible at a glance.
    The bezel enabled you to keep track of a 2nd time zone on the earlier versions before you were able to adjust the gmt hand and it’s still the quickest and easiest way to adjust the watch.

Master
    The sole purpose is to differentiate it from the explorer2 and allow charging a higher price.
    I jest... kind of.

Personally the lack of a fixed 24hr scale on the GMTM2 is one of the things that puts me off them as, as pointed out in the OP, the rotating bezel makes limited sense. Still a very handsome watch though.

Also handy for timing boiled eggs, coffee, parking and so on.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Also handy for timing how long till the next Rolex thread on WT.

Can someone explain the purpose of the rotating bezel on a Rolex GMT-IIC?

Quote Originally Posted by Longwool View Post
    Bezel may also be used as a compass. You set the GMT hand to local time and locate it towards the sun. The 12-hour marker on the dial now points north (in the northern hemisphere) or south (in the southern hemisphere).
    The 12hr marker will point South in the northern hemisphere.

And not sure what the bezel has to do with that

Here is a demo on a non-GMT, where you need to bisect the angle between hour hand and 12 marker to get a south/north line.
    GMT is halfway round compared to hour hand, so their is no need to bisect that line as per above

Actually, no image, as the newest crapatalk app constantly fails when i try to upload an image.
    Google it if you need

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by notenoughwrists; 3rd December 2020 at 17:05.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post

The OP is aware of the the possibility of tracking a third zone... and his point of not having 24h markings on the dial is valid.
    In fact you cannot track a third zone with the GMT II unless you do the maths which defeats the purpose... same as not needing a GMT since you can do the maths...!

Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    In fact you cannot track a third zone with the GMT II unless you do the maths which defeats the purpose...
    Er yes, you can. It requires basic ‘visualisation’ not necessarily maths.

Anyway, here’s the shorter answer for you: why does the GMT Master II have a rotating bezel? Because the GMT Master had one.

Easy enough for you?

Master
    Eeer, yes you can.
    Using the same maths you use when wearing a normal watch as well which then defeats the purpose of a gmt watch anyway....

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Also handy for timing boiled eggs, coffee, parking and so on.
    Where do you need to point it to get the perfect soft boiled egg?