closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mesh wifi kit

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    All the ports in the back will still work fine as they're wired which is still on. Only wireless will drop off.
    I don’t believe this is the case if it’s placed in modem mode, if you want that to be the case you have to leave the router enabled and just disable the wifi.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I don’t believe this is the case if it’s placed in modem mode, if you want that to be the case you have to leave the router enabled and just disable the wifi.
    They work if in normal mode with Wi-Fi switched off.

Correct, in modem mode only one port will work, but with WiFi turned off all will work as normal.

Master
    Did this quite recently with a VM router (Superhub 3).
    I bought some TP-Link units and connected one to the hub. Initially I just disabled WiFi but I wanted to use the Superhub as a modem only so put it into modem mode. Just took a little time to configure it that way round but it worked.
    I have a network switch connected to the main Deco unit and I have plugged all the other devices that were plugged into the Superhub into that.
    I know with the Deco devices you can buy a pack and then add more if needed. We used to have zero connection in the far end of the kitchen due to a big steel beam and now we get 90-100 mb connection there.
    I’ve found that the mesh has allowed pretty much the full speed of the connection into most rooms and I have some flexibility to add another unit as needed in case I find a weak spot.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Did this quite recently with a VM router (Superhub 3).
    I bought some TP-Link units and connected one to the hub. Initially I just disabled WiFi but I wanted to use the Superhub as a modem only so put it into modem mode. Just took a little time to configure it that way round but it worked.
    What was the reason to have the hub in modem only mode - were you having issues when just disabling the wifi bands?

Master
    For anyone wishing to switch their Virgin media Superhub 3 in to modem mode, I've given a link below to a procedure given in a review of one of the TP-Link mesh systems - I followed this to the letter, and everything worked first time.

The conventional reason given for switching the Virgin gear to modem mode is that it gives it less to do, so the poor thing is able to struggle along adequately, just managing the cable connection. i have no idea whether that advantage also applies to just switching off the wifi.

All I can say is that, since installing the Deco system and switching to modem mode back in July, I havn't had to reset the Superhub on a single occasion (previously, like many people have reported here, it was required approximately weekly). I'm getting 210Mb/s download and 22Mb/s upload via direct cable and wifi connections.

Here's the link: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/custom...SIN=B07GFNXBDT

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by amalgam786 View Post
    What was the reason to have the hub in modem only mode - were you having issues when just disabling the wifi bands?
    No but from what I remember, you could use more of the Deco functionality if it acted as the router, hence putting the VM Superhub into modem mode.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Not sure on BT, on Virgin it's quite easy you just remove the ticks next to 2.4 GHz and 5.0 Ghz.

On BT if you really want to I think you might even be able to buy your own modem and router if you really want. Not sure it's worth the effort?
    Right that seems to have speeded things up

Finally managed to get on the ip link to configure it (was showing as already occupied for the last couple of days)

I’ve now disabled both witless channels and disabled the witless network on on my airport express network (handy little devices to create airplay!)

Now seen to have doubled speed and getting around 300mbps

Ta!

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
    All I can say is that, since installing the Deco system and switching to modem mode back in July, I havn't had to reset the Superhub on a single occasion (previously, like many people have reported here, it was required approximately weekly). I'm getting 210Mb/s download and 22Mb/s upload via direct cable and wifi connections.

Here's the link: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/custom...SIN=B07GFNXBDT
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    No but from what I remember, you could use more of the Deco functionality if it acted as the router, hence putting the VM Superhub into modem mode.
    Ok guys i've ordered the tp-link deco m9 3 pack and will set up this week or weekend and will let you know how i get on - intending to place vm hub into modem only mode and run it all through the tp router - fingers crossed!!

Master
    Ok guys i've ordered the tp-link deco m9 3 pack and will set up this week or weekend and will let you know how i get on - intending to place vm hub into modem only mode and run it all through the tp router - fingers crossed!!
    Good luck! If you run into any issues then I’m sure some on here will be able to help. The how-to linked to above is worth following when setting up.

Ok, so Deco M9 kit came yesterday and i couldn't wait till the weekend, I followed the instructions linked previously and it all went smoothly - we now have a quality connection all round the house - thanks all!

Question: Are you able to see wired connections in the deco app? can't seem to find it...

Master
    Ok, so Deco M9 kit came yesterday and i couldn't wait till the weekend, I followed the instructions linked previously and it all went smoothly - we now have a quality connection all round the house - thanks all!

Question: Are you able to see wired connections in the deco app? can't seem to find it...
    Fabulous news! Glad it all went smoothly for you and that you’re seeing the benefits already.
    Can’t help with the wired connection question but I think you can see them - might be in the More section. TP Link chat might be able to help on that too.

Master

Yes, I've just checked my system.

My desktop is wired, and if you click on it under the main connected devices list in "Overview", and then click the 'Settings' icon in the top right, it lists it as "Connection Type "Main Network (Wired)". Same for the V6 box, Sonos sound bar etc.

Adding a question in here instead of a separate thread.

I’ve got 3 deco S4s. One attached to main router and setup as WiFi router. One upstairs in my office (bedroom) and one in the furthest back bedroom. I still have a dead spot in my kitchen where although I have full WiFi signal showing on my iPhone, it just won’t load 9 times out of 10. In view of this I bought a deco plug extender and placed in hallway. Still having same problems. I’m stumped. Any ideas?

House is 5 bed so a fair size but upstairs seemingly works ok 99% of time. But I cannot sort the kitchen. It’s driving me insane! When the kitchen dead spot does work, I try a Speedtest and get full speed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Adding a question in here instead of a separate thread.

I’ve got 3 deco S4s. One attached to main router and setup as WiFi router. One upstairs in my office (bedroom) and one in the furthest back bedroom. I still have a dead spot in my kitchen where although I have full WiFi signal showing on my iPhone, it just won’t load 9 times out of 10. In view of this I bought a deco plug extender and placed in hallway. Still having same problems. I’m stumped. Any ideas?

House is 5 bed so a fair size but upstairs seemingly works ok 99% of time. But I cannot sort the kitchen. It’s driving me insane! When the kitchen dead spot does work, I try a Speedtest and get full speed.
    Does the issue happen with a single device or multiple devices?

My initial guess is one of those edge cases where your device hangs onto a node or flipping between two nodes because they have equivalent signal strength.

If it were me I’d
    Test with a few devices to confirm if it’s just the phone or not.

When it’s happening switch off the closest non master node and see what happens

It could be you need to move the nodes around to get hand over to work correctly

Does the issue happen with a single device or multiple devices?

My initial guess is one of those edge cases where your device hangs onto a node or flipping between two nodes because they have equivalent signal strength.

If it were me I’d
    Test with a few devices to confirm if it’s just the phone or not.

When it’s happening switch off the closest non master node and see what happens

It could be you need to move the nodes around to get hand over to work correctly
    Primarily iphone and ipad (occasionally Smart TV is slow to connect).

I thought adding the deco plug extender would sort it but it has seemingly done nothing. Other option could be to try that in the kitchen instead of hallway but to be honest, only talking a few feet.

Be aware that adding a lower spec deco to the network can turn off some of the key features.

For instance adding a plug-in m3w will disable the mesh feature for all devices!! I found that the other day!! So removed it.

If you have an android device download the app WiFi analyser to check signal strength in that area. There are windows equivalents for a laptop. Unfortunately iOS does not allow that.

Quote Originally Posted by Miocene View Post
    It's literally 3m away across the hall - granted I need to double check, but I'd be amazed if it's not. Tried again last night with no luck, I'll install the software on the laptop today and try again that way, following YouTube videos.
    So... I'm an idiot. Well, whoever put the electrics in the house is. We have a split level house over 5 levels including the garage. Turns out the hallway socket I was using is on the garage ring whereas the one across the hall is on one of the house rings.

I got the wifi powerline to work by plugging it into the same plug as the router / base unit, when it worked within seconds. 'Luckily', we have a single socket in a spare room which is, forever whatever reason, spurred off the garage ring, so the extender is in that one. This gives us what we need at the moment for the girls school work, but it's a plaster over the problem rather than a fix.

Went to buy a Deco P9 Kit today only to see it's bloody out of stock everywhere, I'd want a base unit and two satellites I think, so shall see what else is around! Ironically the house is only c. 2000sq ft, so not big, just has all solid walls which I guess is causing the problems.

Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post
    Be aware that adding a lower spec deco to the network can turn off some of the key features.

For instance adding a plug-in m3w will disable the mesh feature for all devices!! I found that the other day!! So removed it.

If you have an android device download the app WiFi analyser to check signal strength in that area. There are windows equivalents for a laptop. Unfortunately iOS does not allow that.
    Ah FFS - yes that's what I've bought. Brilliant.

Might send it back to Amazon then and say not fit for purpose.

Great thread, thanks guys. We have a large house with 2-3 foot thick stone walls, and were struggling with a netgear modem/router and various TP Link powerline devices.

We had all sorts of problems with wi-fi coverage and instability, until my electrician/TV engineer recommended a Ubiquiti mesh system. We bought the Amplifi HD home mesh system which included a router and two wireless mesh points six months ago, and they've been fabulous.

So fabulous in fact, that I've just spent a fortune on another Ubiquiti system (Unifi) with router, switch, wired access points and three security cameras, and as a consequence I'm selling the Amplifi kit!

So if anyone is looking for a little used (original boxes) top quality Home mesh system, please drop me a line! When I get round to photographing it I'll advertise it on the SC.

Best wishes,
    Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post
    It you have android device download the app WiFi analyser to check signal strength in that area. There are windows equivalents for a laptop. Unfortunately iOS does not allow that.
    Just put your Android phone into developer mode and you see the Wi-Fi data.

We have a couple of mesh systems- Velop and one house that has just been sold and Draytek APs. If you can use ethernet for the back haul - it makes a dramatic difference to performance and stability. The Velop is better for this as has a dedicated channel for backhand but hardwiring it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    If people don't want to mess around with Mesh - this is a very decent router for the money?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B081TQ91TC

I think you can also build a mesh network by buying too but I have no idea how reliable that is...
    I'm running three Asus routers / wireless access points (One Ac86 and two ac68s) on their mesh and it's rock solid. As my main router was an Asus it allowed a cost effective upgrade as i just bought another one. Highly recommended.