closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mesh wifi kit

Craftsman
    I doubt it will help you much but I can sympathise with your situation. I had similar with my Super hub and Orbi. I figured that the best approach was to put the SH in modem mode and then just connect the Orbi base unit and gradually build the system, unit by unit, one at a time, from there. Totally wrong. Nothing worked!

In the end, with the SH in modem mode I connected the Orbi and, literally a dozen things by a variety of ethernet to the main Orbi and the satellite in the manner that I envisaged they would end up being and then I ran the wizard that came with the Orbi. It found everything and configured it all nicely without the need for step by step.

I don't know if this helps but it could be worth a try : https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/1592/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by series5 View Post
    I doubt it will help you much but I can sympathise with your situation. I had similar with my Super hub and Orbi. I figured that the best approach was to put the SH in modem mode and then just connect the Orbi base unit and gradually build the system, unit by unit, one at a time, from there. Totally wrong. Nothing worked!

In the end, with the SH in modem mode I connected the Orbi and, literally a dozen things by a variety of ethernet to the main Orbi and the satellite in the manner that I envisaged they would end up being and then I ran the wizard that came with the Orbi. It found everything and configured it all nicely without the need for step by step.

I don't know if this helps but it could be worth a try : https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/1592/
    Thanks!
    After multiple re-boots of the Virgin hub I finally got a green light on the main Deco unit! After that it was actually easy to get the others set/up.
    Took a bit of faffing to connect the switch and couldn’t work out why nothing would connect and then realised I hadn’t connected it to the Deco!
    Got the Sonos re-configured as well.
    All seems ok so far. Did a few speed tests and will post those later - first I need a beer!

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Well so far this is a disaster!

Put Virgin Media Hub 3 into modem mode, checked that I can access the internet via laptop and all ok.

Go to set up Deco and it can't connect to the internet. TP Link very little help so far.

If i put the VM hub into router mode then Deco can access the internet, but then I have to run it as an access point.

Tearing my hair out.
    If you put it into modem mode you need to connect the virgin hub to a router. It's a bit of a headache. I bought a modem then didn't bother.

Easiest thing to do is just disable the WiFi on it and put it into your new equipment.

Confused the hell out of me too. Couldn't figure out why the internet was working and was tearing my hair out too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    If you put it into modem mode you need to connect the virgin hub to a router. It's a bit of a headache. I bought a modem then didn't bother.

Easiest thing to do is just disable the WiFi on it and put it into your new equipment.

Confused the hell out of me too. Couldn't figure out why the internet was working and was tearing my hair out too.
    Thanks. Managed to get it to work in modem mode eventually. Lots of rebooting required - there were some instructions on the web that were really useful so followed those as closely as possible.

Quick speed test yesterday and we have fast internet connection in an area that literally had no connection previously - maybe because there is a massive steel joist in the room as the signal used to drop past the joist. Each of the rooms has a faster connection as well.

Funnily enough, the connection to my son’s Xbox was via power line and he was getting about a 10mb connection. The WiFi connection via the Xbox is about 25-30 but he was telling me that he’s getting glitches and latency now that he didn’t have before. So will have to reinstate the power line into the Xbox.

So far, quite pleased with it. Will see how it performs during the week when we are all home and hammering it!

Cheers

Master
    Thread revival of sorts to ask a question. We live in a 4 storey sandstone property, so thick stone walls, and currently use only a BT router which provides sufficient wifi for most things all around the house. We only get c36mbps download and c 10mbps upload as that's the best BT can offer in our small market town (or indeed anyone else seemingly).

I'd like a mesh system now as we have a son at Uni who's working from home and 2 adults working from home, including one teacher who often does lessons via Teams.

Given our relatively slow broadband speed, would I see a tangible benefit in a tri-band system like Orbi's rbk23 over a dual band like TP-Links Deco M4? I'm also open to looking at BT's whole home system and would be happy with some future proofing but don't want to spend more only to find the broadband is limiting the benefits. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Thread revival of sorts to ask a question. We live in a 4 storey sandstone property, so thick stone walls, and currently use only a BT router which provides sufficient wifi for most things all around the house. We only get c36mbps download and c 10mbps upload as that's the best BT can offer in our small market town (or indeed anyone else seemingly).

I'd like a mesh system now as we have a son at Uni who's working from home and 2 adults working from home, including one teacher who often does lessons via Teams.

Given our relatively slow broadband speed, would I see a tangible benefit in a tri-band system like Orbi's rbk23 over a dual band like TP-Links Deco M4? I'm also open to looking at BT's whole home system and would be happy with some future proofing but don't want to spend more only to find the broadband is limiting the benefits. Thanks.
    I have Oibi RBK53 set up. It is, super fast. I get the full 220Mbs to my sattelites that hasn't possible with power lines.

However, it was really expensive and suffers regular 3-5 second network outages that seem to be common to other users and unresolved. I've had 5 today.

I am still not sure if I'm going to keep the product. Working from home on VC means that I value stability above speed at the moment.

For speeds of <50Mb, I'd look at the devolo 1200+ system. Before the Orbi, that's what I used and it word faultlessly, it just couldn't keep up with top speed from Virgin.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    ...Before the Orbi, that's what I used and it word faultlessly, it just couldn't keep up with top speed from Virgin.
    Useful to know and noted, thanks. We use BT Power Adapters for two tvs and have used TP Link power adapters previously but whilst they have worked, the speeds can be a bit temperamental, possibly because of the internal wiring, so hoping a mesh will be better all over. I do recognise hard wired is the preference but in an old house that we'll be selling in the near future I'm not up for significant work.
    Last edited by deepreddave; 18th January 2021 at 16:49.

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Useful to know and noted, thanks. We use BT Power Adapters for two tvs and have used TP Link power adapters previously but whilst they have worked, the speeds can be a bit temperamental, possibly because of the internal wiring, so hoping a mesh will be better all over. I do recognise hard wired is the preference but in an old house that we'll be selling in the near future I'm not up for significant work.
    I responded earlier, but it got a bit lost in all the techie to-ing and fro-ing etc.;

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    I’m with Virgin too and just yesterday installed an Asus Zenwifi 6 XT8. I junked all of the TP-Link power line stuff previously littering the house and Boom! I now have great wifi everywhere. Previous blank areas now have 200MB plus....I’ve even got over 150MB in the garden shed..... Very impressed, it was expensive but easy to setup and so far works great. Being wifi6 future proof (for now) too.
    A month on and I'm still super impressed by the broadband we now have and I've forgotten about the cost. I've also learned how to control each individual device attached to the network via our easy to use app. I can now control 'gaming time' for my teenage son who has taken to calling me the 'internet dictator'.....which I actually quite like.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    I responded earlier, but it got a bit lost in all the techie to-ing and fro-ing etc.
    Thanks and I did read your earlier post, I can only dream of broadband speeds like you're getting hence my query as to whether I'd see the benefit of the better, more expensive mesh systems.

As an aside, well done on controlling gaming time as most parents seem to struggle with that based on my own experience and chatting to a few teachers.

Master
    I don’t know about the benefits of a tri-band system, but I can tell you that when I do a speed test in most parts of the house now it typically shows about 110mb - our package from Virgin is supposed to be 100mb.
    With all of us at home doing various things online, no one has noticed any issues.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    I don’t know about the benefits of a tri-band system...
    Noted, thanks. Tri-band provides an extra 5ghz wifi band so doubles the bandwidth on the channel thereby increasing streaming speeds and can be used as a dedicated channel for the mesh to communicate.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Recently installed a TP Link Deco 3 kit, very easy set up and has fixed my issues of sketchy connections in the middle of the house and the top floor. At £99 I think it’s as about the most cost effective as well
    https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/comput...03767-pdt.html
    Yes, me too.

We're on Virgin as well, and the whole system is now enormously more reliable and with better range: if you do go for one of these, PM me and I'll find the link to a very helpful review on Amazon that explained a few tips & tricks for getting a TP Link system working with a Virgin 'Superhub 3'.

BTW I believe the £99 version isn't a full Mesh system, but it's around £100-150 cheaper than ones that are. We got this from Amazon, with the intention to return it and swap for a full Mesh version if it didn't solve our problems, but no need.

As a result of this thread I bought the BT four disc system.

So far, we're very impressed with it - easy to set up, fast and stable.

Thanks everyone.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post

Thanks everyone.
    Agreed. I too bought this kit and very impressed with it. Had some niggly problems setting it up because the firmware was out of date but a call to BT techs helped me sort it out in 15mins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a relevant, and very confusing thread!

The router is at the front of the house and struggles to reach to the back, which is primarily where the girls are doing their school work. I spent last night trying to set up a powerline we've had lying around in a cupboard for a couple of years but with absolutely no luck - plugged the base unit (if that's the right term) into the router and plugged wireless receiver into a different socket in the same room and it still can't find it. Tonight is going to be spent trying this again, pulling my hair out, cursing and cursing some more.

Instructions for the one we have (TP link) aren't the best, but reading this I might just take the plunge on a mesh system to try and future proof it a bit as it won't be long before the girls will be becoming more independent etc

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Miocene View Post

The router is at the front of the house and struggles to reach to the back, which is primarily where the girls are doing their school work. I spent last night trying to set up a powerline we've had lying around in a cupboard for a couple of years but with absolutely no luck - plugged the base unit (if that's the right term) into the router and plugged wireless receiver into a different socket in the same room and it still can't find it. Tonight is going to be spent trying this again, pulling my hair out, cursing and cursing some more.

Instructions for the one we have (TP link) aren't the best, but reading this I might just take the plunge on a mesh system to try and future proof it a bit as it won't be long before the girls will be becoming more independent etc
    The can be problematic. Often a quick press of the button on each unit is enough to sync them together. If this fails, and it varies between units, a long press of the button on each unit until the lights all go out and come back on resets the units to factory default and each should then sync, either directly or with another quick push of the reset button on each unit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by series5 View Post
    The can be problematic. Often a quick press of the button on each unit is enough to sync them together. If this fails, and it varies between units, a long press of the button on each unit until the lights all go out and come back on resets the units to factory default and each should then sync, either directly or with another quick push of the reset button on each unit.
    I found with a Powerline that plugging the ‘receiving’ unit into a socket close to the ‘send’ unit initially and pairing them before moving the receive unit to where you actually want it worked as well.

Just bear in mind that with the Powerline you’ll typically have to plug the laptop or machine into the plug to get the connection (unless it was one of the range extending types).

I have to say that despite the hassle I had setting it up initially, the mesh system has been very good. The setup issues were more down to getting it to talk to the Virgin Media router than anything else. If I had just wanted the mesh to act as an access point then it would have been much easier to set up. Well worth it in my experience. In fact I’m thinking of adding one more to reach the study as the connection there is ok but not brilliant.

Right... Take 3 of replying to this, I'll keep it brief to retain my sanity!

Thanks for the comments / tips, I'll try those tonight whilst the wife is watching something 'live'.

The internet speeds here are pretty poor, c. 26mg download. Is there anything I need to watch out for with regards to a mesh kit if I can't get the powerline sorted sufficiently?

Master
    Right... Take 3 of replying to this, I'll keep it brief to retain my sanity!

Thanks for the comments / tips, I'll try those tonight whilst the wife is watching something 'live'.

The internet speeds here are pretty poor, c. 26mg download. Is there anything I need to watch out for with regards to a mesh kit if I can't get the powerline sorted sufficiently?
    Hi

No, I don't think so - having been through the same decision very recently. If I were you I'd get a mesh system that fits your budget and that looks acceptable to you. Personally, I found the TP-Link ones to be good from a price perspective as well being acceptable from a looks perspective. There are lots of options out there, I found some to be too expensive for what I was prepared to spend and some that looked like pieces of technology (as in, router shaped).

With your internet speed (c.26mb) pretty much any of the systems will be fine I think. I found with the one remaining powerline connection, I was getting c.10mb in that room, but via the mesh system I was getting c.25/30mb in the same room. So you should see improved speeds wherever the mesh reaches.\

Hope that helps.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post

Thanks everyone.
    Just set mine up yesterday (3 disk as I’m not as flash as you!!!) and I concur…. Seems ricks solid and fast…. Everywhere 3 bar and getting 200mbps

Trying to turn my virgin router to modem mode but it all collapsed and I had to return to factory settings…. Will attempt again when feeling a little braver!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Just set mine up yesterday (3 disk as I’m not as flash as you!!!) and I concur…. Seems ricks solid and fast…. Everywhere 3 bar and getting 200mbps

Trying to turn my virgin router to modem mode but it all collapsed and I had to return to factory settings…. Will attempt again when feeling a little braver!
    Unless you have a routed you're going to plug into the virgin box don't put it into modem mode. Instead just turn off 2.4 and 5.0 (both wireless signals) and you'll be fine. That's what I've done and what most people seem to do.

I do have a Ubuitity router (bought for this exact purpose) and was going to do it properly re modem mode but it was late and I couldn't be bothered, figured I'd do it on the weekend if I still wanted to and that was about a year ago...

That is interesting- I have put mine into modem mode. I want to add an old Draytek router to my girlfriend's VM set up as the WiFi is rubbish.

Do you think be best just turn the WiFi off then and let VM manage the routing and Draytek the WiFi ?

Craftsman

The electrical circuit needs to be on the same ring main, this is possibly the issue.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Unless you have a routed you're going to plug into the virgin box don't put it into modem mode. Instead just turn off 2.4 and 5.0 (both wireless signals) and you'll be fine. That's what I've done and what most people seem to do.

I do have a Ubuitity router (bought for this exact purpose) and was going to do it properly re modem mode but it was late and I couldn't be bothered, figured I'd do it on the weekend if I still wanted to and that was about a year ago...
    I have plugged my BT whole home into it…. (Assume that’s a router?

Queue the next obvious question! How do I turn off 2.4 and 5.0 witless signal? There is nothing obvious on the app and I can’t seem to connect the IP address as it says something is already logged on?!

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    That is interesting- I have put mine into modem mode. I want to add an old Draytek router to my girlfriend's VM set up as the WiFi is rubbish.

Do you think be best just turn the WiFi off then and let VM manage the routing and Draytek the WiFi ?
    Up to you. I'm paying for 200mb and recieving 220mb in every room of the house with the 2x Orbi RBK50. It would probably manage the load better with the router plugged in and in modem mode but I haven't felt like I'm missing out. At some point I'll rip it all out and start again, use the modem, but only out of boredom and the fact I spent £60 on the modem. The virgin hub for me is more than good enough with WiFi turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I have plugged my BT whole home into it…. (Assume that’s a router?

Queue the next obvious question! How do I turn off 2.4 and 5.0 witless signal? There is nothing obvious on the app and I can’t seem to connect the IP address as it says something is already logged on?!
    Not sure on BT, on Virgin it's quite easy you just remove the ticks next to 2.4 GHz and 5.0 Ghz.

On BT if you really want to I think you might even be able to buy your own modem and router if you really want. Not sure it's worth the effort?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by qaz4169 View Post
    The electrical circuit needs to be on the same ring main, this is possibly the issue.

Perhaps you meant that they perform better on the same ring?
    Loads of reports of them working across rings, the main issues with these as I understand is the state of the domestic wiring.

Master
    I'm with virgin on their 200mb line and we use Google WiFi. It's great. Easy to set up and the interface is simple and intuitive. Perfect for the technophobes in my house. I have 3 units across a 4 bed detached and get full coverage across the house.

It's literally 3m away across the hall - granted I need to double check, but I'd be amazed if it's not. Tried again last night with no luck, I'll install the software on the laptop today and try again that way, following YouTube videos.

On BT if you really want to I think you might even be able to buy your own modem and router if you really want. Not sure it's worth the effort?

If you are on FTTP or transfer to it - the modem is a separate unit they attach to the wall. they still send you a home hub to use as a router (mine is in the garage).

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    If you are on FTTP or transfer to it - the modem is a separate unit they attach to the wall. they still send you a home hub to use as a router (mine is in the garage).
    Ah, makes sense. I've only eve been with Virgin.

Craftsman

That *used* to be my understanding. However in my last house I could easily see my neighbour’s power line units as well as mine.

However annoyingly in my new house I tried using power lines to my external garage but the devices could not see each other (my garage has it’s own RDC and MCB). I guess it means my new house has better quality writing.

Up to you. I'm paying for 200mb and recieving 220mb in every room of the house with the 2x Orbi RBK50. It would probably manage the load better with the router plugged in and in modem mode but I haven't felt like I'm missing out. At some point I'll rip it all out and start again, use the modem, but only out of boredom and the fact I spent £60 on the modem. The virgin hub for me is more than good enough with WiFi turned off.
    Thanks - that does sound like an easier setup and also simpler to change back if any problems - will start that way. I know what you mean as at home I have Linksys Velop nodes but at some point will put a Draytek solution in and hardwire to one of their APs at the other end of the house.

Although I am getting 90MB so the WiFi is OK it is much less than at the wall so it is OK but worth changing - I think the main problem is the Velop Nodes aren't wired to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    I'm with virgin on their 200mb line and we use Google WiFi. It's great. Easy to set up and the interface is simple and intuitive. Perfect for the technophobes in my house. I have 3 units across a 4 bed detached and get full coverage across the house.
    I’ve been really happy with my Google Nest Wifi mesh. The thing that got me into it was that the satellites are also integrated Google Assistant bluetooth speakers. I control my lights through Google Assistant and I needed more GA speakers anyway. Biggest downside is that the satellites have no ethernet jacks and the router sports only one in, one out. I had no need to wire anything to the satellites so it didn’t bother me at all.
    Last edited by Possu; 21st January 2021 at 20:47.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    I’ve been really happy with my Google Nest Wifi mesh. The thing that got me into it was that the satellites are also integrated Google Assistant bluetooth speakers. I control my lights through Google Assistant and I needed more GA speakers anyway. Biggest downside is that the satellites have no ethernet jacks and the router sports only one in, one out. I had no need to wire anything to the satellites so it didn’t bother me at all.
    I’ve added some basic TP-Link Ethernet hubs (TL-SG1005D - around £14 a go) to our Deco setup, and directly linked our tv via cat 6 cable, so adding wired capability is cheap and easy if you wish, and so you could presumably at least add this to your router.

Quote Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
    I’ve added some basic TP-Link Ethernet hubs (TL-SG1005D - around £14 a go) to our Deco setup, and directly linked our tv via cat 6 cable, so adding wired capability is cheap and easy if you wish, and so you could presumably at least add this to your router.
    I have four ethernet jacks in my modem which is in my living room. I have wired my Nest router of course, Playstation, computer and Smartthings hub. That still leaves me one spare jack. I need to keep the TV connected with Wifi, otherwise mobile devices can’t seem to be able to stream to the built-in Chromecast. In a perfect world I would like to have ethernet in the bedroom, where my wife uses her laptop. In my setup the only way to achieve it would be to run a cable ftom the living room, or have a mesh satellite with ethernet capability. She has never had a problem with the Wifi, so I’m not really bothered. Otherwise Google Nest is earning its keep.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    I have four ethernet jacks in my modem which is in my living room. I have wired my Nest router of course, Playstation, computer and Smartthings hub. That still leaves me one spare jack. I need to keep the TV connected with Wifi, otherwise mobile devices can’t seem to be able to stream to the built-in Chromecast. In a perfect world I would like to have ethernet in the bedroom, where my wife uses her laptop. In my setup the only way to achieve it would be to run a cable ftom the living room, or have a mesh satellite with ethernet capability. She has never had a problem with the Wifi, so I’m not really bothered. Otherwise Google Nest is earning its keep.
    Yes, I see.
    I had to be quite inventive in routing 30m of ethernet cable under floorboards, round pelmets and along picture rails to link the main TP-Link hub to the smart TV and Virgin V6 box without annoying the interior decorating police ( ), but I managed it and it increased speed and reliability enormously.

Quote Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
    Yes, I see.
    I had to be quite inventive in routing 30m of ethernet cable under floorboards, round pelmets and along picture rails to link the main TP-Link hub to the smart TV and Virgin V6 box without annoying the interior decorating police ( ), but I managed it and it increased speed and reliability enormously.
    Sounds good. 👍🏼 I think I’d need about 30m too. I’m fairly sure the 710 would never plug in her laptop even if I did go through the trouble.

My wifi was quite sufficient right up to the point where I decided to skimp in my smart lighting. I thought Philips Hue was a bit pricey and went with Wiz brand Wifi lights instead. I ended up needing to boot my lights manually nearly daily before I got my mesh up an running. Since then everything has been running really smooth.

If people don't want to mess around with Mesh - this is a very decent router for the money?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B081TQ91TC

I think you can also build a mesh network by buying too but I have no idea how reliable that is...

Having read through all the replies I'm still a bit unsure about what i would need to get better wifi speeds throughout the house...

We have virgin fibre 350mb - if i want to see speeds of around 200mb around the house do i NEED a wifi 6 mesh system?

House is a 4 bed detached with a kitchen/diner extension that suffers the worst wifi so was thinking a 3 unit system (but maybe a 2 unit one will suffice?) - Looking for a system around the £250-300 mark? Any thoughts on Eero mesh system?

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by amalgam786 View Post
    Having read through all the replies I'm still a bit unsure about what i would need to get better wifi speeds throughout the house...

We have virgin fibre 350mb - if i want to see speeds of around 200mb around the house do i NEED a wifi 6 mesh system?

House is a 4 bed detached with a kitchen/diner extension that suffers the worst wifi so was thinking a 3 unit system (but maybe a 2 unit one will suffice?) - Looking for a system around the £250-300 mark? Any thoughts on Eero mesh system?

TIA
    There’s a number of options in the thread. I’m sure someone more technical can guide you through the numerous options.

From my perspective, we’re using the BT Whole Home system in our Virgin hub with WI-FI disabled and it’s been absolutely fantastic. Used to suffer ridiculously slow speeds on the 350 package, with a daily reboot of the router needed due the the myriad of issues.

Not a single dropout in 2 months since.

Quote Originally Posted by Crammage View Post
    There’s a number of options in the thread. I’m sure someone more technical can guide you through the numerous options.

From my perspective, we’re using the BT Whole Home system in our Virgin hub with WI-FI disabled and it’s been absolutely fantastic. Used to suffer ridiculously slow speeds on the 350 package, with a daily reboot of the router needed due the the myriad of issues.

Not a single dropout in 2 months since.
    Will give it a look wasn't sure the bt system would work with VM, what sorts of speeds are you getting over wifi now?

Also did you put your VM hub in to modem only mode or just disable wifi? If you just disable wifi can you still keep things plugged into the ethernet ports at the back of the hub?
    Last edited by amalgam786; 23rd January 2021 at 20:36.

TIA
    My first question is what do you need 200Mbps for? I know everyone wants the fastest speed possible but 4K TV streaming requires about 24Mbps. In my humble opinion too many people are obsessed by speed without understanding that they'll rarely, if ever, be able to make meaningful use of it. If you struggle to receive a signal in parts of your home and want to improve the signal strength (that will increase the speed) then a mesh system is a good option. I have used the original Netgear Orbi (now superseded) and Google WiFi (not the latest Google Nest WiFi). I ditched the Netgear system after experiencing issues; the Google WiFi has been rock solid for well over a year now.

Some additional questions:

- What router do you currently have? I ask as we need to determine if it can be switched to Modem only/Bridge mode - Virgin Media routers usually can.
    - Approximately how far is it from your router to your kitchen/diner and how many walls does the WiFi have to pass through?
    - Are there any other areas that have poor WiFi signal?
    Last edited by Skier; 24th January 2021 at 10:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    My first question is what do you need 200Mbps for? I know everyone wants the fastest speed possible but 4K TV streaming requires about 24Mbps. I
    Often because if they are like me - paying for faster internet is about the upload speed... I'm on BT's 900/100 not because I need 900 down but the 100 up is where the real benefit is for me.

My first question is what do you need 200Mbps for? I know everyone wants the fastest speed possible but 4K TV streaming requires about 24Mbps. In my humble opinion too many people are obsessed by speed without understanding that they'll rarely, if ever, ever be able to make meaningful use of it. If you struggle to receive a signal in parts of your home and want to improve the signal strength (that will increase the speed) then a mesh system is a good option. I have used the original Netgear Orbi (now superseded) and Google WiFi (not the latest Google Nest WiFi). I ditched the Netgear system after experiencing issues; the Google WiFi has been rock solid for well over a year now.

Some additional questions:

- What router do you currently have? I ask as we need to determine if it can be switched to Modem only/Bridge mode - Virgin Media routers usually can.
    - Approximately how far is it from your router to your kitchen/diner and how many walls does the WiFi have to pass through?
    - Are there any other areas that have poor WiFi signal?
    Totally agree and basically was just sucked in to the faster subscription by VM!

Current router is VM super hub 3 its 15metres from the furthest part of the kitchen passing through 3 walls and a floor!

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Often because if they are like me - paying for faster internet is about the upload speed... I'm on BT's 900/100 not because I need 900 down but the 100 up is where the real benefit is for me.
    Fine, you have a need, most don't. I ditched my phone line because the maximum upload speed we could get was 0.7Mbps that meant accessing the security cameras was hit and miss. At that time we had a download speed of just 6.5Mbps that meant we couldn't stream 4K TV but that didn't concern us as we watch very little TV and could do everything else. We now get home broadband via the O2 4G network and that's far faster (45Mbps down/20Mbps up) for which I pay £35/month for unlimited data. Gigaclear is due to implement FTTP but that's been delayed so many times, and by 3 years so far, I no longer have any faith in its ability to deliver to any schedule it makes up and I don't see what benefit increased speeds (at greater cost) would bring.
    Last edited by Skier; 23rd January 2021 at 20:55.

Totally agree and basically was just sucked in to the faster subscription by VM!

Current router is VM super hub 3 its 15metres from the furthest part of the kitchen passing through 3 walls and a floor!
    If you just have the one problem area I'd be tempted to buy a pair of Powerline adapters and place the WiFi enabled one in your kitchen/diner. This will be cheaper and simpler. I use several Devolo (non-WiFi) Powerline adapters and fined them excellent. For your situation I recommend THESE.
    Last edited by Skier; 23rd January 2021 at 21:41.

If you just have the one problem area I'd be tempted to buy a p[air of Powerline adapters and place the WiFi enabled one in your kitchen/diner. This will be cheaper and simpler. I use several Devolo (non-WiFi) Powerline adapters and fined them excellent. For your situation I recommend THESE.
    But also having issues with the wifi from the super hub generally which entails regular restarting - I should also say that the signal progressively gets worse over the 15m so its a bit patchy along the way

Will give it a look wasn't sure the bt system would work with VM, what sorts of speeds are you getting over wifi now?

Also did you put your VM hub in to modem only mode or just disable wifi? If you just disable wifi can you still keep things plugged into the ethernet ports at the back of the hub?
    Just disabled Wi-Fi.

All the ports in the back will still work fine as they're wired which is still on. Only wireless will drop off.