closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Battle of the Vintage Diver Homages, Steinhart vs San Martin

Battle of the Vintage Diver Homages, Steinhart vs San Martin

Apologies for the long article, and also it carries a homage content warning, so turn back now if not your thing!

If it is something you’re ok with, then having just sold my San Martin 62MAS homage off the back off drunkenly winning a Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military on eBay, I thought I’d do a little comparison of these two popular vintage diver homages while I had them both in hand.

Personally I only go for a homage if it’s of an out of production, impossible to get watch that I like the aesthetic of, and the Seiko 62MAS and the Rolex MilSub both fall into that category. Most folks when buying either of these two homages will look toward a value for money option that gives a look of the real thing, so I’ll make comparisons of all the key elements of the watch, and score them against each other.

Dial: I think SM edges it here, the dial features a really well done sunburst grey and thick applied indices. The OVM is faithful to the MilSub but a bit flatter and duller in appearance.
    SM62: 8
    SOVM: 7

Case: the SM is 40mm with 20mm lug width and I believe a 1:1 of the SLA017, which in turn is a faithful reinvention of the 62MAS. It has a nicely etched shark case back, sighed crown and drilled lugs which is great. The Steinhart is 42mm with 22mm lug width, the finishing is superior but it’s got a long flat lug length and could do with the drilled lugs to enhance the vintage feel. Even Steven.
    SM62: 7

Bezel: Despite the Steinhart being 2mm bigger the dials look the same size as the SM has a much thinner bezel. The Steinhart action is better, but it is an aluminum insert compared to the SM’s ceramic, which is also lumed. Have to give it to the SM.

Movement: The SM carries the Seiko NH35 as many of these Chinese homages do. 21k VPH, a steady Eddie and preferable to a loud rotor Miyota. The Steinhart has the ETA Elabore grade, 28k VPH. I’m no expert on movements so won’t attempt to go into depth, but the consensus would lean toward the OVM here.
    SM62: 7
    SOVM: 8

Lume: Both watches have strong lume that lasts all night, but the SM is the clear winner. It has equal lume quality to any Seiko diver I’ve had, generously applied on the big indices and also on the bezel. The OVM is a good standard, but not on the same level.
    SM62: 9

Bracelet: The Steinhart returns the lume loss in kind here with an easy win. It has solid end links, screwed links, good build quality, articulates flat to the case and a decent milled clasp. The SM also has SELs and a milled clasp, but the end links fit a bit awkwardly and jut out at the back. It also doesn’t articulate well and has pins that were particularly infuriating to re-size. Easy OVM win.
    SM62: 6

Fit & Finish: Overall the Steinhart edges it, the crown and bezel action and the comfort of the bracelet are all superior. I’d say the SM actually has a better clasp as they are almost identical but the SM has push button release whereas the OVM requires a fingernail to prise it open. Neither has a dive extension. The SM wears and looks better on a rubber strap than it’s slightly clunky bracelet. 42mm Steinhart’s get criticised for the long flat lugs, but I don’t find it an issue personally as I have a thin but flat wrist. The SM does have a really nice boxed/domed sapphire that adds distortion for that vintage look. The OVM does also has a slightly domed sapphire. OVM legibility is superior as the SM can be a bit shiny and reflective in direct light.
    SM62: 6

Brand: This is a little subjective, both will have their fans, both will have those that scoff at them for being nothing more than rip-off merchants. But, being as objective as possible you’d recognise that Steinhart are a family owned business with a 20 year history, have a good rapport with their fans and the kudos of German build and Swiss movement. SM are only a coupe of years old and fall under that debatable Chinese factory group umbrella. As decent as the watches and customer service are, it’s an easy Steinhart win.
    SM62: 5

Value for Money: Including import fees you’d be looking at about £250 or just over for the SM, which for a watch of its spec and looks is really good VFM in my opinion. The Steinhart retails at £345 but you are getting a Swiss movement, much better bracelet and more brand cache within context - Steinharts do tend to retain their value on the second hand market. I think you get a really good watch for your money in both cases, but if we’re talking value for each pound spent the SM edges it. Happily for me I snagged my OVM, a 5 month old model under warranty, for £290 on eBay which I’m really happy with, hence the sale of the SM.

Total:
    SM62: 64/90
    SOVM: 66/90

The winner:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Many thanks for such an excellent comparison and review

Blog Entries
    Great review David. Lol is this your second or third ovm ? I feel as though I should buy one after having the vintage red a few times .

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    Great review David. Lol is this your second or third ovm ? I feel as though I should buy one after having the vintage red a few times .

Ha, it’s the second mate. I can’t remember the reason behind me selling the original, but I always regretted it. Saw a very new one going on eBay and managed to land it. It’s my favourite model of theirs by far, the sword hands and no date really float my boat. Thanks for the feedback😊

Really good review

Homage watches are really good fun and value, imo do little harm to the search market, at an even lower bargain/pocket money price Pagani are absolutely unreal for the money.
    My Steeldive Willard is also awesome and is going to a you tube reviewer in the bear future to video (a little late to the party)

Your pictures are great - well done.

Nice comparison.

I've got the OMV ver1, like you got it because of the unobtanium MilSub.

Also have Steeldive Willard and sterile pilot. These are incredible value at less than £80 a pop.

SM 62Mas is on the want list, but the ver3 which has the box logo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tickeros View Post
    Nice comparison.

I've got the OMV ver1, like you got it because of the unobtanium MilSub.

Also have Steeldive Willard and sterile pilot. These are incredible value at less than £80 a pop.

SM 62Mas is on the want list, but the ver3 which has the box logo.

Thanks mate. That version of the SM is slightly different to the one I’ve had - apart from the logo, I think it has the cushioned chapter ring and a the seconds hand is different. That logo is way better though.

Craftsman
    Nice review, been tempted to get the san martin myself, always find another watch to buy first though

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Interesting comparison, I personally just cant get past the San Martin name it sounds like some bad hotel from the 1970s. I have a Steeldive Panerai homage (Though its a sterile green dial watch so different enough for me to be happy to wear it) The lume on this watch is also very good (I may even get a black version in the new year) I quite like Steinhart, I think the fact that they do make some of their own original watches puts them above San Martin also out of the two I think I would go for the Steinhart.

always want a OVM especially seeing pic like yours, but somehow never open my wallet might be due to its case back..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Interesting comparison, I personally just cant get past the San Martin name it sounds like some bad hotel from the 1970s.

San Martin. Whenever I see that name I immediately think of Bob Martin. That reminds me: Must worm the dog this week.

Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post
    always want a OVM especially seeing pic like yours, but somehow never open my wallet might be due to its case back..

I get you.

I’ve run the gamut of beater divers the last couple of years, I like to have one for outdoor activities with the kids etc. and have been recycling a 300ish quid bit of slush by buying and selling, just to try different watches as a bit of fun. Had a couple of Steinharts, the SM, various Seiko divers, various Orients, some Chinese homage brands. Got a bit bored of it all now so decided to settle on the best of the bunch which was easily the OVM. As stated, I’ll never own a MilSub but love the look, and this gives you that in a very well done way while being a solidly built watch with a good Swiss movement. No brainer really.

I think the caseback thing gets a bit overstated. Steinhart are usually receptive to fan feedback but it’s not something they’ve ever sought to change, instead they introduced 39mm models. My wrist is somewhere between 6.5” and 6.75”, flat, and it’s never been an issue to me. Don’t get me wrong it’s got plenty of wrist presence, if you keep it on the the bracelet then you certainly know you’re wearing it, but the case shape is something I was aware of before buying, but in owning haven’t seen what all the fuss is about. If you bought one and couldn’t get on with it I doubt you’d lose much in selling, they tend to retain most of their value👍
    Last edited by davidj54; 1st December 2020 at 09:44.

Thanks for an interesting review with excellent pictures. I have an OVM and can agree with your points in its regard. The lume could be longer lasting but it has an excellent movement, which usually comes well regulated from the factory. Sadly mine didn't but Duncan Potter regulated it for me, and it's now running with almost quartz accuracy.

As you say, the oyster bracelet is very good but I found it a touch wide and heavy. I popped mine onto a Steinhart jubilee, which reduces the weight somewhat and for me improves the comfort.

David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Thanks for an interesting review with excellent pictures. I have an OVM and can agree with your points in its regard. The lume could be longer lasting but it has an excellent movement, which usually comes well regulated from the factory. Sadly mine didn't but Duncan Potter regulated it for me, and it's now running with almost quartz accuracy.

As you say, the oyster bracelet is very good but I found it a touch wide and heavy. I popped mine onto a Steinhart jubilee, which reduces the weight somewhat and for me improves the comfort.

Thanks mate. Looks really good on that jubilee, adds to the vintage vibe. I’ve got mine on a nato at present (Bark & Jack seatbelt, good quality I’ve found) but have ordered a Steinhart rubber. Now I’m thinking I need a jubilee too - need to reign myself in!

This is my second ‘version 3’ OVM, a 2020 model. The previous was a 2018. I’ve noticed they’ve made a subtle change, the indices and hands used to be a brighter, more vibrant yellow, whereas now they’ve made them a duller yellow, almost a pale orange. I think it looks better in terms of capturing the MilSub look. Thought I was going mad at first when looking at my new 2020 model, but on comparing it to pics of my old one I’m definitely right!

Last edited by davidj54; 2nd December 2020 at 08:33.

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Thanks mate. Looks really good on that jubilee, adds to the vintage vibe. I’ve got mine on a nato at present (Bark & Jack seatbelt, good quality I’ve found) but have ordered a Steinhart rubber. Now I’m thinking I need a jubilee too - need to reign myself in!

This is my second ‘version 3’ OVM, a 2020 model. The previous was a 2018. I’ve noticed they’ve made a subtle change, the indices and hands used to be a brighter, more vibrant yellow, whereas now they’ve made them a duller yellow, almost a pale orange. I think it looks better in terms of capturing the MilSub look. Thought I was going mad at first when looking at my new 2020 model, but on comparing it to pics of my old one I’m definitely right!

Yes that NATO looks excellent! I was put off the Mk2 by the greyer, lighter dial and so when the v3 came out with the darker dial, I decided that was a good point to have one. I don't know about you, but I find reattaching either the oyster or the jubilee to be really tricky. I can usually manage bracelet changes with no problem, but the OVM is very tight. So once it was on the jubilee I left it. The jubilee is well made and a step above in terms of quality, than say the strapcode on my Seiko Turtle. I think it was about £90 - so not too expensive in the grand scheme of things.

Cheers

David

Blog Entries

Interesting observations David. So your saying the the V3 from 2018 has once again changed again slightly and we can call this 2020 one v3.1?

They've definitely not changed the clasp edge as I was talking to Steinhart direct the other day over the polished edges on the bevel of the clasp on all their ocean one lines .

The recent vintage red has the polished edge clasp but they said the ovm at present does not. Perhaps you can comment what your ovm bracelet clasp came like?

Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    Interesting observations David. So your saying the the V3 from 2018 has once again changed again slightly and we can call this 2020 one v3.1?

They've definitely not changed the clasp edge as I was talking to Steinhart direct the other day over the polished edges on the bevel of the clasp on all their ocean one lines .

The recent vintage red has the polished edge clasp but they said the ovm at present does not. Perhaps you can comment what your ovm bracelet clasp came like?

Yes mate, it’s only a subtle change but it’s definitely there. I noticed as soon as I got my new V3 that the indices looked duller and more of a pale orange than a bright yellow compared to how I remembered my old 2018 V3. To prove to myself I wasn’t going mad i compared a pic of my old one to my new one!

The 2018 is on the left, and you can see - especially when comparing the hands as a reference point - the subtle but definite colour change.

Seeing as I saved a chunk of cash on the purchase of the OVM I treated myself to a Steinhart rubber strap for it (really nice), so the bracelet is back in the box - I’ll have a gander at the clasp when I get home from work later and let you know.

The sides of the clasp are polished, top brushed, same as the links.

It's a lovely looking watch but too big for me at 42mm. Exacerbated by its chunkiness. I have an Ocean One and it's very well made. I Rarely wear it due to the size and weight. Certainly the bracelet had to go as soon as it arrived. Very much fancy some of their 39mm offerings but the designs don't appeal. Wish they would do the ovm in a smaller size.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaffe View Post
    It's a lovely looking watch but too big for me at 42mm. Exacerbated by its chunkiness. I have an Ocean One and it's very well made. I Rarely wear it due to the size and weight. Certainly the bracelet had to go as soon as it arrived. Very much fancy some of their 39mm offerings but the designs don't appeal. Wish they would do the ovm in a smaller size.
    They do the OVM in 39mm too, you can get it via Gnomon watches as it’s an exclusive with them. Currently out of stock, but they get batches in every few months - just add your details to the list to get notified. Only drawback is it costs a bit more as you’ll have to pay import fees, but Gnomon are apparently very good to deal with.

https://www.gnomonwatches.com/produc...omon-exclusive

Blog Entries
    The sides of the clasp are polished, top brushed, same as the links.
    Thanks David. Some are rounded and sort of polished like in the picture and some are angularly polished to a high degree on newer stuff that's all . Definitely more pronounced on the clasp than the older generation of oyster bracelet than the new .

Awesome. I've liked some SMs over time but was scared to pull the trigger. This makes me feel a little better about taking a chance on 1.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamite_Kid19 View Post
    Awesome. I've liked some SMs over time but was scared to pull the trigger. This makes me feel a little better about taking a chance on 1.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    There’s definitely nothing to be concerned about, they are solid watches and excellent value for what you pay.

They do the OVM in 39mm too, you can get it via Gnomon watches as it’s an exclusive with them. Currently out of stock, but they get batches in every few months - just add your details to the list to get notified. Only drawback is it costs a bit more as you’ll have to pay import fees, but Gnomon are apparently very good to deal with.

https://www.gnomonwatches.com/produc...omon-exclusive
    Thanks! I didn't know that

Just to add to the Steinhart chat, I got one of their rubber straps and the look, quality and fit is really good. £50, but I think it’s good value when you consider what the likes of Crafter Blue and others charge.

Fitting and then sizing it cost me an hour of my life and a hefty donation to the swear jar, but worth it in the end.