closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 2 holes blown outward on my 67 plate Golf DSG gearbox casing.! Update

Hybrid View

2 holes blown outward on my 67 plate Golf DSG gearbox casing.! Update

My wife complained to me the other day that the normally super smooth DSG on our 67 plate Golf Alltrack was a little snatchy at times.
    I, of course ignored it for 3 days, assuming she was just driving it badly, or the colder weather was affecting it in someway. She wasn't driving it anyway as she was working from home.
    She had also mentioned she thought she saw some oil on the wheel.

On Friday I took it for a decent drive to see if i could replicate the problem....yep, it was definitely snatchy and jumping in the low gears. especially around 2000-2800 rpm.

Once home, I had a look underneath, nothing obvious, into the bonnet and after a little searching around with a torch I found a piece of aluminium, that looked remarkably like a piece of casing.
    Couldn't be I thought, then I spotted a smaller piece, right down on the cross member. I took the undertray off to see if I could get a better look from underneath, but nothing.
    I then took the battery and battery tray off, but still nothing obvious.

I reach down into the bay and felt along the edge of the gearbox casing, and there it was, a big jagged hole, then slightly further down, another.
    Halfway up the casing along the casings join...the piece i found definitely looks like its been broken out from the inside.

The car has 56k on it, full service history, DSG oil and filter done, and just been serviced by VW dealer about 500mls ago.

I shall be ringing VW customer service on |Monday, I have already tried talking to the VW dealer we bought it from, but the Sales manager was very dismissive, defensive and unhelpful.
    Once I had mentioned it was purchased in October last year as a used vehicle, she immediately stated that the warranty would have expired and I should contact my local dealer.
    She did not take the car reg, my details, or anything else.
    We have done less than 8000k since purchase, and whilst I freely admit that the warranty has expired, a holed gearbox casing is not a common occurrence.
    I am no versed on the DSG gearbox and/or its maintenance, but the last people to work on it were selling dealer, VW Listers.

Anybody on here with some possible causes perhaps and where I might stand on its repair/replacement?
    I managed to get a( poor ) picture of the smaller of the 2 holes with my phone
    The piece I found looks like it may be the outside of the casing dowel holes? and I think from the hole I cannot get a picture of.

Last edited by keitht; 8th December 2020 at 19:37.

not good but......out of warranty does not necessarily mean that you wont get a claim through or at least a decent contribution..

essentially these are policy / goodwill claims that manufacturers pay to keep customers happy and reputation in tact...

you need to demonstrate a solid service history using genuine parts correct oils and no gaps in history..

and it sounds like you fit that criteria well...

I have had successful claims on an A45 Gearbox 6 months out of warranty and my brother a gearbox on an AMG GT one claim was 6k the other 10k +.....and I have processed many claims for both Ford & GM for VCAN / Goodwill 'scale' claims ...this is where a % contribution is made based on age / mileage and history...

this might sound odd but I would be inclined to ring VW direct they will respond and steer the process with the repairing dealer..

VW.
    0800 333 666

Opening hours:
    Mon - Fri: 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM
    Sat: 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Thanks for the responses gents, I shall be ringing VW direct tomorrow.

No nothing like those listed., no warning lights at all.
    I used my Vagcom to check for fault codes after my Friday test drive and got the following.

P1898 00 Clutch 1
    Function restriction

P1899 00 Clutch 2
    Function restriction

P0C29 00

Control circuit for Aux trans Fluid pump.

I suspect all the above are due to lack of oil which has come out of the holes.

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    not good but......out of warranty does not necessarily mean that you wont get a claim through or at least a decent contribution..
    Will be interested to see how you get on.

My car's Infotainment system died completely one month out of warranty - they offered me £400 off a £1900 repair bill (and it turned out what they were offering for that eye-watering amount was a 'factory reconditioned unit'!)

The dealer was helpful (fitting my used replacement for about £200 - I guess they could have done it for less, but the cost was far, far less than VW), but VW themselves were surly and unhelpful and I wouldn't buy another car from them, personally.

Keith - Have you had the oil in the Haldex changed over the years? I just had mine done (apparently it's not a default service item, but should be done every 3 years apparently) - I suspect you'll not get much joy if you haven't.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 29th November 2020 at 17:43.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Which engine Alltrack?

surely VW will step in. a 67 plate is what, from Sept 2017 onwards? I though they had a 3 year 60k factory warranty in any case.

& Is the DSG itself not subject to a longer warranty like it is in AUS/US/China?
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Which engine Alltrack?

surely VW will step in. a 67 plate is what, from Sept 2017 onwards? I though they had a 3 year 60k factory warranty in any case.

& Is the DSG itself not subject to a longer warranty like it is in AUS/US/China?
    The gearbox warranty is only 3 years in the uk they wormed their way out of extending it in Europe and the uk

Grand Master
    Those gearboxes are made of cheese, mine went twice on the Golf R and I didn’t hammer it
    RIAC

Apprentice
    As Omegamanic says, 67 plate suggests it may still be under the original warranty? What’s the registration date?

Master
    If it was purchased from Listers last October, was it an Approved ‘Das Welt Auto’ car?

If so, it should have come with a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty which will cover the DSG box as well.

Master
    Does the Audi use the same box?
    Was thinking of a 2 year old S3 when my present lease is up.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Does the Audi use the same box?
    Was thinking of a 2 year old S3 when my present lease is up.
    Yes although there may be slight changes. I love the idea of Audi S and RS cars but unless you can guarantee that it's been serviced correctly and driven sympathetically I'd be loathe to pay for one with my own money out of warranty.

Excellent result!

Excellent result. Save yourself the time and headache and ignore the balance. Just leave the dealership the appropriate reviews where you can. Didn't expect main dealers not to sell a used car with the brand's advertised used guarantee.

I’d be happy with that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d be v pleased - ensure that you get a full black and white guarantee on the work outlining exactly how long the gearbox is covered for in either time or miles
    This would aid (imo) any future sale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I'd guess that the £480 is labour to swap the parts so that the dealer doesn't lose money.

Sounds like a total result though... That gearbox is more than double the value of my entire car !

Sent from my OnePlus Nord using Tapatalk

Master
    Listers VW Coventry look after my van. It’s now out of warranty so, especially after reading this, doubt I’ll use them again. My last service with them was over a grand, cam belt, water pump, Dsg oil all done. I hope they did do it!

Great result I’d say....

Master
    Very pleased for the OP and well done VW. I'm always amazed that companies like the dealership involved here are so unable to see the damage caused by their approach; happy customers might share their experience with a few people but since unhappy customers will go out of their way to share their experience with anyone who will listen for a long time after.

Master
    A garage’s reputation lives or dies by it’s customer service, it takes a lot of work to make the grade but one bad job to kill it, this drummed into my colleagues and I by management in every garage I worked in, done a bit of grovelling to customers in my time after mistakes, not always mine btw.
    A good result for OP, although one I would have hoped for, his dealer should have pushing VW for this not the other way round, hey ho. One wee bright spot in this year for him.

Looks like a very good outcome. Hopefully lots of hassle free miles ahead.
    It's just a matter of time...

Phew, I’d be happy with that.
    Can i ask if the service history was mostly vw or mostly not vw?
    I’m asking because mine is fsh but mostly non vw and wondering if it would make a difference.

My 72 year old mum bought a brand new Lupo from VW in Blackburn. It was 18 months old with 4,500 miles on the clock when it decided to spew its engine internals all over the motorway.

They completely blanked any attempt to enquire about liability for repairs, ignoring and fobbing me off repeatedly. In the end I paid to have it recovered (£600), have a replacement engine put in (£1000), and then we sold it for £3,500 just to get rid of it as she had lost confidence in it, understandably.

I sold my Passat at the time and vowed never to frequent the VAG group ever again.

There is nothing premium about VW.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    My 72 year old mum bought a brand new Lupo from VW in Blackburn. It was 18 months old with 4,500 miles on the clock when it decided to spew its engine internals all over the motorway.

They completely blanked any attempt to enquire about liability for repairs, ignoring and fobbing me off repeatedly....
    That's appalling, why weren't you covered under VWs 3 yr/60k miles warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post

They completely blanked any attempt to enquire about liability for repairs, ignoring and fobbing me off repeatedly. In the end I paid to have it recovered (£600), have a replacement engine put in (£1000), and then we sold it for £3,500 just to get rid of it as she had lost confidence in it, understandably.

I sold my Passat at the time and vowed never to frequent the VAG group ever again.

There is nothing premium about VW.
    Why didn’t she sue them?