closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 holes blown outward on my 67 plate Golf DSG gearbox casing.! Update

Unfortunately VW can't elaborate and what caused the failure as they have said the box is sealed so they have no way of telling, all they will say was that there was no oil in it.

Whether lack of or low oil was the cause of the failure or a result of the hole caused by the failure will probably never been known.

As Listers were the only people to work on the box, albeit it at 48k not the VW recommended 80K, it could make you wonder if they added the correct amount of oil, or even the right type of oil!
    I will most certainly not have any dealings with them again. Shame really, as a courtesy call from them after the initial fault had been made known to them, would have been appreciated.

Master
    Very pleased for the OP and well done VW. I'm always amazed that companies like the dealership involved here are so unable to see the damage caused by their approach; happy customers might share their experience with a few people but since unhappy customers will go out of their way to share their experience with anyone who will listen for a long time after.

Master
    A garage’s reputation lives or dies by it’s customer service, it takes a lot of work to make the grade but one bad job to kill it, this drummed into my colleagues and I by management in every garage I worked in, done a bit of grovelling to customers in my time after mistakes, not always mine btw.
    A good result for OP, although one I would have hoped for, his dealer should have pushing VW for this not the other way round, hey ho. One wee bright spot in this year for him.

Looks like a very good outcome. Hopefully lots of hassle free miles ahead.
    It's just a matter of time...

Phew, I’d be happy with that.
    Can i ask if the service history was mostly vw or mostly not vw?
    I’m asking because mine is fsh but mostly non vw and wondering if it would make a difference.

Still not got my car back .

VW sent a new gearbox to VW Swindon, which they went to fit Tuesday...I got a text on Wednesday which I thought would be my cue to pick it up.
    No such luck, apparently it doesn't fit, despite being the correct part number ( and which matches to part number on the damaged box )
    VW tech cannot understand why it doesn't fit, so are sending another box over from Germany...ETA...some time in the new year.

I have been allocated a Customer relations manager from VW UK, who is very nice and polite, but I seem to be updating them all the time.
    One thing is clear though, is that Listers don't even want to discuss it with VW themselves, who, according to my CRM, have failed to respond to all attempts to contact them.

Rather frustratingly, my Wife has been offered an Electric company car as part of her promotion package, so we will be selling the Alltrack now...if we ever get it back of course.

Almost thankful it went when it did, rather than on the next owner as that would have been really messy to sort out.

Quote Originally Posted by keitht View Post
    Still not got my car back .

VW sent a new gearbox to VW Swindon, which they went to fit Tuesday...I got a text on Wednesday which I thought would be my cue to pick it up.
    No such luck, apparently it doesn't fit, despite being the correct part number ( and which matches to part number on the damaged box )
    VW tech cannot understand why it doesn't fit, so are sending another box over from Germany...ETA...some time in the new year.

I have been allocated a Customer relations manager from VW UK, who is very nice and polite, but I seem to be updating them all the time.
    One thing is clear though, is that Listers don't even want to discuss it with VW themselves, who, according to my CRM, have failed to respond to all attempts to contact them.

Rather frustratingly, my Wife has been offered an Electric company car as part of her promotion package, so we will be selling the Alltrack now...if we ever get it back of course.

Almost thankful it went when it did, rather than on the next owner as that would have been really messy to sort out.
    I would be using that info to reduce the bill there going to give you.

So finally have my car back.

Albeit with additional scratches down the side, that no one knows how they got there, and one key that no longer works.

And finally a response from the supplying dealer which was in response to numerous requests by VW Customer services,

Looks like they take an arbitrary approach and ignore VW scheduled servicing requirements...
    It is my belief that in doing this, they may also just use the same oil that 90% of the boxes take as well!!

‘’Good afternoon

As the customer has owned the vehicle for over a year, we will not be contributing towards the bill.

We offer every customer the opportunity to purchase an extended warranty at point of sale, therefore by declining they choose to take the risk associated with no cover.
    As for the DSG gearbox having an oil change early; 90% of these gearboxes require a change at 40k miles, so rather than check every car to see if it needs doing, we simply do it to ensure none are missed.
    First time I’ve been challenged for spending too much money prepping a car! J

Merry Christmas
    Natasha Salvador
    General Sales Manager’’

I should also note that in contradiction to her statement. my gearbox was done at 48,000, so would have invalidated any warranty had it actually been due at 40,000.

Craftsman

Albeit with additional scratches down the side, that no one knows how they got there, and one key that no longer works.

And finally a response from the supplying dealer which was in response to numerous requests by VW Customer services,

Looks like they take an arbitrary approach and ignore VW scheduled servicing requirements...
    It is my belief that in doing this, they may also just use the same oil that 90% of the boxes take as well!!

‘’Good afternoon

As the customer has owned the vehicle for over a year, we will not be contributing towards the bill.

We offer every customer the opportunity to purchase an extended warranty at point of sale, therefore by declining they choose to take the risk associated with no cover.
    As for the DSG gearbox having an oil change early; 90% of these gearboxes require a change at 40k miles, so rather than check every car to see if it needs doing, we simply do it to ensure none are missed.

Merry Christmas
    Natasha Salvador
    General Sales Manager’’

I should also note that in contradiction to her statement. my gearbox was done at 48,000, so would have invalidated any warranty had it actually been due at 40,000.

Nice attitude to customer service there. In my head I’d be tempted to respond “as listers have demonstrated a f**k you attitude to customer service, a fair few people have decided they will not be contributing to your future sales figures”. At least we all learned Listers are a dealer to avoid and that not all dealers offer the 2 year approved used warranty used as a headline to get you onto their site.

Good result for you in the end.

My 72 year old mum bought a brand new Lupo from VW in Blackburn. It was 18 months old with 4,500 miles on the clock when it decided to spew its engine internals all over the motorway.

They completely blanked any attempt to enquire about liability for repairs, ignoring and fobbing me off repeatedly. In the end I paid to have it recovered (£600), have a replacement engine put in (£1000), and then we sold it for £3,500 just to get rid of it as she had lost confidence in it, understandably.

I sold my Passat at the time and vowed never to frequent the VAG group ever again.

There is nothing premium about VW.

Master

‘’Good afternoon

Merry Christmas
    Natasha Salvador
    General Sales Manager’’

I would write immediately; be polite and say that you are, as a lay person disappointed with their unacceptable response and that the persons mention of risk in her response is irrelevant since the topic at hand is merchantable quality.

Say that you will be taking action under professional advice and will approach an executive in the company.

Send typwritten letters to the executive.

B

This is spot on advice from Brian, that's what I would be doing.

How are you getting on with this OP?
    Last edited by mondie; 23rd January 2021 at 18:19.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    My 72 year old mum bought a brand new Lupo from VW in Blackburn. It was 18 months old with 4,500 miles on the clock when it decided to spew its engine internals all over the motorway.

They completely blanked any attempt to enquire about liability for repairs, ignoring and fobbing me off repeatedly....
    That's appalling, why weren't you covered under VWs 3 yr/60k miles warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post

They completely blanked any attempt to enquire about liability for repairs, ignoring and fobbing me off repeatedly. In the end I paid to have it recovered (£600), have a replacement engine put in (£1000), and then we sold it for £3,500 just to get rid of it as she had lost confidence in it, understandably.

I sold my Passat at the time and vowed never to frequent the VAG group ever again.

There is nothing premium about VW.
    Why didn’t she sue them?