closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's the SC economy, stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    A friend on here bought a stickered one(oyster bracelet) at £10.5K 3 weeks ago -private sale
    He subsequently sold it on for the same and bought my day date.
    Ha looks like I'm SOL if I want £11k for mine then

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Ha looks like I'm SOL if I want £11k for mine then
    Good provenance on yours so peace of mind means a bit.
    At least to me.

Master
    Looking at SC, I can see a couple of issues:
    • Some prices are hardly a bargain (e.g. the used Timefactors watch currently being offered at a higher price than a new one!)
    • A significant (increasing?) number of non-watch items for sale - more items than, say, a few years ago

I've never bothered with SC as I can achieve higher prices on eBay on every item, without the risk of any forum politics / expectations of an increasing discount (including the prejudice of past transactions for the same or similar item) and I just wait for an eBay seller promotion to avoid their normal fees.

You've the option of global audience on eBay as opposed to a parochial watch forum and importantly, your prospective buyers can pay with a credit card / finance the watch so as to pay immediately, whereas bank transfer is only going to work for 'cash buyers' who already have the money in their account.

Whether or not we approve, many people don't own the shirt on their back and buy everything on credit, plus collectors often have a gap when waiting for pieces to sell in order to raise funds. Sure there's risks with eBay and it will depend largely upon the nature of the watch as to whether it's the best channel to use.

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

Master
    I asked myself back in, ooh, December last year I think, ‘ummm I wonder what type of seller that AKM dude is, is he a SC or eBay type of chap?’

It’s played on my mind for 11 months! So thanks for clearing it up. Carry on fella

Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    I've never bothered with SC as I can achieve higher prices on eBay on every item, without the risk of any forum politics / expectations of an increasing discount (including the prejudice of past transactions for the same or similar item) and I just wait for an eBay seller promotion to avoid their normal fees.

You've the option of global audience on eBay as opposed to a parochial watch forum and importantly, your prospective buyers can pay with a credit card / finance the watch so as to pay immediately, whereas bank transfer is only going to work for 'cash buyers' who already have the money in their account.

Whether or not we approve, many people don't own the shirt on their back and buy everything on credit, plus collectors often have a gap when waiting for pieces to sell in order to raise funds. Sure there's risks with eBay and it will depend largely upon the nature of the watch as to whether it's the best channel to use.

I've never bothered with SC as I can achieve higher prices on eBay on every item…
    Well bully for you.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm down to just two watches now due to a deliberate decision to rationalise so don't do much more than skim it now, but SC has always had busy and slow periods.

Current inflated prices don't help things but it is noticeable that vintage/interesting items seem to be much slow than before. There used to be robust trade in mid/low price items - flipping to "try" items seems to have tailed off. Possibly the instances of people taking advantage of low prices to make a fast buck elsewhere has had an effect of driving eligible pieces and this "community" habit out of the forum?
    Last edited by Scepticalist; 17th November 2021 at 09:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    I'm down to just two watches now due to a deliberate decision to rationalise so don't do much mroe than skim it now, but SC has always had busy and slow periods.

Current inflated proces don't help things but it is noticeable that vintage/interesting items seem to be much slow than before. There used to be robust trade in mid/low price items - flipping to "try" items seems to have tailed off. Possibly the instances of people taking advantage of low prices to make a fast buck elsewhere has had an effect of driving eligible pieces and this "community" habit out of the forum?
    I hope not. I really value SC for exactly this, the ability to try things or take a punt knowing that you can always move it on at the same below “retail” price to someone else if it’s not for you. And I really like that community spirit. The guy above who said he “achieved” better prices on eBay - well yes, we all could, but there’s something to be cherished about there still being one corner of the internet where honesty, trust and fellowship actually mean something. That’s worth a lot to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never bothered with SC as I can achieve higher prices on eBay on every item
    I wouldn't normally respond, but I'm still flushed with the fun of a lovely deal on here. I posted a WTB for a noughties IWC. Member got in touch. We had a chat on the phone, agreed a price, and it's on my wrist now. I called him tonight to say thanks - I'm not sure I'd get that on eBay!

I use eBay when I'm selling OT stuff, and I'm feeling guilty about the amount of tat I'm posting on the SC!

Quote Originally Posted by FrontierGibberish View Post
    I hope not. I really value SC for exactly this, the ability to try things or take a punt knowing that you can always move it on at the same below “retail” price to someone else if it’s not for you. And I really like that community spirit. The guy above who said he “achieved” better prices on eBay - well yes, we all could, but there’s something to be cherished about there still being one corner of the internet where honesty, trust and fellowship actually mean something. That’s worth a lot to me.

Well said. But when times are hard, I can understand folk trying to get the best price possible. Maybe if you could only buy on SC if you have sold something... on a one in one out basis? Just spit balling.

Sellers have the right to sell where they want but it’s a shame not to see watches offered on SC before going to WF and the like.

If you bought something from the forum then you’re obligated to offer it back to the forum first I’d say.

It's the SC economy, stupid!

Wow!
    Forum.spirit.personified.

I sell strictly on SC and often take a small bath on prices in return for this outstanding resource.

It is a public forum and anyone can be here - but there is, I believe, a sort of gentlemen’s agreement on etiquette.

Each is free to choose to discover and respect it, or not.
    As each is free to choose to deal with any individual, or not.

Thankfully, AKM has clearly informed me which camp he is in.…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by notenoughwrists; 17th November 2021 at 00:11.

Is it possible to rephrase any of this? I'm not sure it is.

Craftsman
    New on here, but have bought some excellent watches on SC. Members have always been a delight to deal with, items exactly as described and I really enjoy scanning through over a cuppa. Too new to post on SC, but I have my Toys, Shoes, Cameras, Weights, Hoodies, Knives, Jackets and Concert tickets ready for the big day.

Sellers have the right to sell where they want but it’s a shame not to see watches offered on SC before going to WF and the like.

If you bought something from the forum then you’re obligated to offer it back to the forum first I’d say.
    Completely agree with this. The community aspect is what made this place what it was. Some people buy into it, some don’t.

At the end of the day, if you own a watch you can sell it for whatever you want, it is yours after-all. If the price is too high then no one will buy it.

Reading a thread yesterday, putting someone off selling a watch on here, lost a watch opportunity for someone and an offer to put into the FR.

Some of the people who whinge, seem to pick and choose who they select for their righteousness. They also never seem to post about watches, strange that.

Which is all well and good if you're both buying and selling your watches elsewhere. However, if you're buying watches from SC and then selling on eBay for profit then you're approach is totally at odds with what the sales section of this forum is all about and should go ply your trade elsewhere. Which is it?

I've sold a few 'desirable' watches on here at below market value in order to maintain the community spirit. Subsequently, they've been sold off forum a couple of weeks later. I even had one pm a while back telling me how it was his 'dream watch but too expensive'. I lowered the price to silly money as I'd had it for a few years and still would break even. The watch was on ebay before he'd even confirmed he received it at a stonking mark up. More fool me. There is no spirit when it comes to making a few quid it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    I've sold a few 'desirable' watches on here at below market value in order to maintain the community spirit. Subsequently, they've been sold off forum a couple of weeks later. I even had one pm a while back telling me how it was his 'dream watch but too expensive'. I lowered the price to silly money as I'd had it for a few years and still would break even. The watch was on ebay before he'd even confirmed he received it at a stonking mark up. More fool me. There is no spirit when it comes to making a few quid it seems.
    Was the buyer a famous artist?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Was the buyer a famous artist?
    Like Kiki Picasso perchance?

Master
    Blog Entries
    This kind of behaviour should get a "Villain" post in H&V, no question about it.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Like Kiki Picasso perchance?
    Had me twice for a tidy profit, all spirit of the forum you understand.

I too have been stung a few times
    The forum spirit is admirable but there seems to be more chancers / delboys than genuine watch lovers now.
    My list of who I will deal with is much shorter than the avoid like the plague list.

What’s that thing that is said about fool me once, fool me twice already?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    What’s that thing that is said about fool me once, fool me twice already?
    I think most people want to see the good in people.
    If you treat everyone like a villain there is no more forum spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I think most people want to see the good in people.
    If you treat everyone like a villain there is no more forum spirit.
    I agree. I also know that until Raffe exposes the culprit you can sell watches to the same person without realising it is subsequently sold for a profit.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    it’s a shame not to see watches offered on SC before going to WF and the like.

It’s a great principle but what about when people are trailing back over history saying “he only bought it 3/6/9 months ago and now wants xxxx more than what he paid for it” when it’s none of their business.

Rolex sales descending into farce

When you list an honest watch and description and then get PM’s from people asking you for further info and extra pics then when you do this, they’re either lowballing you or disappearing into the ether (or a PM agreeing to buy it (can you hold for a few days Guv) then a couple of days later a PM that they’ve found one cheaper and will you price match it?!)

List it “for sale, no trades, cash raising exercise” and then get “will you take my £300 scurfa and £900” for your £2k watch or yet more lowballs because you dared to say you want to balance the books so you must be a pauper and desperate for the cash

Then there’s the numerous threads in the bear pit for casual character assassination of people selling things, and the shooters on the grassy knoll always seem to be the people who have little input on the forum about watches.

Or just sell to WF with absolutely zero scam, postal or insurance worries…..?

Having said all that, if it was just about selling and not politics and sniping, it’s a great marketplace but the spirit of the forum is long-gone from that point of view because there are plenty of bullies who have been kicking it out for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    Completely agree with this. The community aspect is what made this place what it was. Some people buy into it, some don’t.

At the end of the day, if you own a watch you can sell it for whatever you want, it is yours after-all. If the price is too high then no one will buy it.

Reading a thread yesterday, putting someone off selling a watch on here, lost a watch opportunity for someone and an offer to put into the FR.

Some of the people who whinge, seem to pick and choose who they select for their righteousness. They also never seem to post about watches, strange that.
    ^^^^ good post

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I agree. I also know that until Raffe exposes the culprit you can sell watches to the same person without realising it is subsequently sold for a profit.

IF you sold it to someone (regardless of forum hoover etc) , you must have been happy with the price? I’ve never done a deal where I wasn’t happy to accept thee figure agreed. Once it lands with the purchaser, it’s no longer my property or concern. You likely would never know (and have a happier life in ignorance) if people didn’t dredge.

All my opinions of course, YMMV but last time I looked this was supposed to be a watch forum…..

Ps a very wise man once said to me “Buyers set prices, not sellers…..”

I always interpreted that (as Gavbaz alluded to) that if it’s too expensive, no-one will buy it.
    Last edited by RJM25R; 17th November 2021 at 10:17.

Market price is market price, what the seller paid is irrelevant unless it’s the rare instance where the seller benefitted from a head’s up here and then tries to milk the forum shortly after.

I have a BLNR I paid £5,950 for. On SC I would list for £12k and see zero issue with it. I bought a SDc last Dec on the forum for £11k which was strong money then, the market moved and that’s easily £12k now. I sold to a friend who happens to also be on the forum for the same £11k because he gave me a Speedy Tuesday allocation a few years ago so I owed him. Otherwise it would have been on SC for £12-£12.5k.

What I don’t understand is if WF are offering £5k and will cover insurance and are the most solid buyer you can get why is there always some idiot on the forum who thinks he should he should have it for less? Or the same and expects you to drive an hour+ or pay god knows what for specialist insurance and run the risk? Doesn’t make sense at all.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Which is all well and good if you're both buying and selling your watches elsewhere. However, if you're buying watches from SC and then selling on eBay for profit then you're approach is totally at odds with what the sales section of this forum is all about and should go ply your trade elsewhere. Which is it?
    I neither buy nor sell on Sales Corner.

Craftsman
    Having sold for the first time recently on sales corner I'm not sure I'd trip over myself to do it again for the kind of watches usually in my collection (most sub £1k and often sub £500). Have sold plenty on Ebay at the lower end of this range and have achieved fair prices without any problems. For sales corner I kept the price competitive and paid extra for RMSD on a Saturday.... in the spirit of the forum and knowing how I look forward to receiving a new arrival myself. Having absorbed the postage and made the contribution to the fund raiser I was probably out of pocket by £30-£40 compared to an Ebay sale. I know it's not all about the money (and descriptions can be subjective) but all I received in response was a slight query about the condition of the bracelet.

If a watch is more unusual or has genuine collectors interest then I think the spirit of keeping it in the forum is a nice idea. There are clearly some great contributors here and a lot of very successful sales and purchases have been made along these lines, with watches staying "in the forum" for many years. For more mass-market watches then I think sales elsewhere are just as valid an option, and often more practical for both buyer and seller.

Edit: Should add I've made a couple of successful purchases from very helpful members on the forum and was delighted with the experience. Both watches still firm favourites in the collection.
    Last edited by boywithabubblegun; 17th November 2021 at 11:00.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I tend to list on SC first for a week or so, and if nothings moving after that then I'll put it on eBay as well.
    I think its right to do forum first, but not everything is guaranteed to be of interest/priced for it.

The SC etiquette is pretty well established isn’t it?

No hoovering and then flipping on eBay etc

Watches from SC that you don’t bond with should be offered back to SC first

No bargains from a TZ PSA heads up being offered at “market rate”

Market rate generally seems odd in SC, Rolex accepted as OK, raised eyebrows and sniping with other brands.

I think I’ve sold 3 watches this year, one on SC and two on Chrono24. The ones I sold in Chrono24 were a Unimatic and a Kurono. I failed to sell the Unimatic’s predecessor on SC last year, so went straight to Chrono24. The Kurono was going to be sold for market rate, and Chrono24 gave me a bigger audience and no raised eyebrows.

The ones I bought (Sinn and Damasko) were both from SC, well priced, and are both permanent collection members.

Dave

I'll always sell on SC first. If it is priced right (my stuff always is) it will sell fast.

I haven't sold on ebay for years, full of spivs and chancers nowadays.

At least you generally know who you are dealing with on here, especially the old hands.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I think 3 months flip for 'market value' is hoovering.

Obviously, you don't, but in that case it's your choice to sell on SC - You could just sell it elsewhere and risk, at worst, a grumpy PM from someone - I don't imagine many people trawl sales elsewhere for watches recently sold on SC (although I wouldn't be surprised if a few do).

As you said, if someone will pay the price, well that's their choice, but this isn't free market economics, it's a closed group where it's hoped that someone getting a good price will pass that on (maybe not at exactly the same price) if they choose to part with a watch.

Same with people making offers - If you state 'No trades or offers' I wouldn't offer you less or a trade, but equally I'm not going to get all grumpy if someone asks - Just ignore the post/PM if you don't want to engage at all.

I'd rather buy and sell on SC - People here are honest (in my experience), less so on eBay.

M

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    It’s a great principle but what about when people are trailing back over history saying “he only bought it 3/6/9 months ago and now wants xxxx more than what he paid for it” when it’s none of their business.

Rolex sales descending into farce

When you list an honest watch and description and then get PM’s from people asking you for further info and extra pics then when you do this, they’re either lowballing you or disappearing into the ether (or a PM agreeing to buy it (can you hold for a few days Guv) then a couple of days later a PM that they’ve found one cheaper and will you price match it?!)

List it “for sale, no trades, cash raising exercise” and then get “will you take my £300 scurfa and £900” for your £2k watch or yet more lowballs because you dared to say you want to balance the books so you must be a pauper and desperate for the cash

Then there’s the numerous threads in the bear pit for casual character assassination of people selling things, and the shooters on the grassy knoll always seem to be the people who have little input on the forum about watches.

Or just sell to WF with absolutely zero scam, postal or insurance worries…..?

Having said all that, if it was just about selling and not politics and sniping, it’s a great marketplace but the spirit of the forum is long-gone from that point of view because there are plenty of bullies who have been kicking it out for a while.

^^^^ good post

IF you sold it to someone (regardless of forum hoover etc) , you must have been happy with the price? I’ve never done a deal where I wasn’t happy to accept thee figure agreed. Once it lands with the purchaser, it’s no longer my property or concern. You likely would never know (and have a happier life in ignorance) if people didn’t dredge.

All my opinions of course, YMMV but last time I looked this was supposed to be a watch forum…..

Ps a very wise man once said to me “Buyers set prices, not sellers…..”

I always interpreted that (as Gavbaz alluded to) that if it’s too expensive, no-one will buy it.
    Last edited by snowman; 17th November 2021 at 15:33.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I think 3 months flip for 'market value' is hoovering.

Obviously, you don't, but in that case it's your choice to sell on SC - You could just sell it elsewhere and risk, at worst, a grumpy PM from someone - I don't imagine many people trawl sales elsewhere for watches recently sold on SC (although I wouldn't be surprised if a few do).

As you said, if someone will pay the price, well that's their choice, but this isn't free market economics, it's a closed group where it's hoped that someone getting a good price will pass that on (maybe not at exactly the same price) if they choose to part with a watch.

Same with people making offers - If you state 'No trades or offers' I wouldn't offer you less or a trade, but equally I'm not going to get all grumpy if someone asks - Just ignore the post/PM if you don't want to engage at all.

I'd rather buy and sell on SC - People here are honest (in my experience), less so on eBay.

M
    Hence the comment YMMV but ultimately, there’s less watches for sale on SC nowadays full stop. Some is because of hoovers, some is because of the absolute nonsense that goes on from people who have little interest in any of the watches themselves…..

Lots of people coming on here have bought and sold (maybe profiting, maybe not) without dropping a penny in the fundraiser and on the other hand some people have profited handsomely and dropped money into the fundraiser so there are grey areas.

Again, YMMV :-)

Craftsman
    I've bought 3 or 4 times from SC this year and always had a pleasant experience - Nothing particularly high end mind.
    In fact across here, a couple of other forums & ebay, the only bad experience I've had is with a scammer on Etsy of all places.

It does seem like the interesting watches (for me) come in waves though. It can be months without anything and then I'm saying no to stuff I've wanted for a while because there are too many at once. Still regret turning down a mk12 on bracelet which I hope has stayed on the forum as I've not seen it since.