closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Jaeger-LeCoultre - a clock. Mu rollercoaster ride

Journeyman

Jaeger-LeCoultre - a clock. Mu rollercoaster ride

So, when i was 18 (now 53) a very eccentric work colleague who loved clocks told me one of his ylc clocks had stopped working, but as he was getting an atmos he did not want to get it repaired. Would i like it for £10? Well, i bought it not knowing anything about them or the value of the brand, just wanted to help him out !!

Hard to believe i know, but for the next 33 yrs it was forgotten about in a box in my loft. Anyway, came across it and though a) these are meant to be good, and b) lets get this working and on the desk in memory of old george.

As i was working in london, i thought i would pop down to the YLC flagship store and see what they thought.
    Have come to the conclusion that despite nowadays being a respectable sort and dress well, i seem to be seem as a “bit of a risk”. So i had to convince the security guard i was a genuine customer first. Then was let in. A lovely guy then sat me down and asked what i wanted. I explained. He looked at it and said “wow, “This is special”. He made such a fuss that my new friend the security guard came over for a loom whilst this guy went off to check make/model/original info etc. He said similar to wow too. By now i am thinking, “thank you god. My number has come up”.

Salesman returns, “it really is a lovely piece and now discontinued. Could you leave it with us and we will get our in house guy to look at it. We will send you an email when ready to collect and then can give more info”. At this point i am still feeling like having a few jars on the way home, but refrain. Fast forward 4 weeks. Email received and i go in thinking “this is MY Christmas”. Security guy now treats me more like a long lost friend rather than someone who sleep with his mum. Salesman, gushing. Chuff me i think, here we go. He patiently explains that in house guy says he can”t help but recommends sending it over to the land of the snow. “Alright i says”. “That will be £200 to look at it, and the it seems we may need to stop the line and get bits made”. FFS, someone just stole christmas. Still trying to convey i was unperturbed, i asked of potential costs. Can”t recall exact words as i was a bit upset, but something along the lines of “who knows”.

So, can”t bear to part with it. JLC customer service very pleasant (in the end 😄). Clock still bolloxed. For a while there, i thought i had “made it”

I wonder if a good watch and clock maker could repair it? Might be worth a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Thejoker View Post
    Still trying to convey i was unperturbed, i asked of potential costs. Can”t recall exact words as i was a bit upset, but something along the lines of “who knows”.
    This from JLC is utterly terrifying. Run away quickly!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    I wonder if a good watch and clock maker could repair it? Might be worth a go.
    could you make any recommendations?

I don't know if Duncan does clocks? Maybe John Senior?

Others might know of people local to them.

The guys at The Clockworks (James and Johan) in West Norwood are excellent.

Brendan ( Webwatchmaker) might be able to help