closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: G Shock 5000 titanium..worth it?

Craftsman

G Shock 5000 titanium..worth it?

I'm tempted by the 5000ti..and with 20% off in some places, even more so.. however, the question is, is it worth it, over a standard 5600, or 5000 metal.. I appreciate Ti is much lighter, but at 3 times the price, is it really worth it?
    Owners opinions much appreciated

How does Casio's Titanium compare to Citizen's various types ?

I saw a thread elsewhere that casio license it but not sure if that is true...

If you can secure a good discount I would say so. I managed 25% on this - one of the original issues. Absolute quality in every way and very light on the wrist.

Last edited by rushroon; 28th November 2020 at 13:01.

On my wrist today. Think I got 25-30% off. An all time favourite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the original was overly heavy then I'd say yes but I think the steel is light enough as it is.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I appreciate the lightness and the material.. and I guess that's the USP..
    You won't know by looking at it, but you'll know by wearing it..

Just to add my tuppence that this is a very well finished watch at a much higher price point. If you are getting a decent discount I'd do it

Master
    The titanium feels very nice on the wrist.
    As Ryan has already said, I’m also really impressed with the small details on the full metals and the titanium adds a bit more.
    If you can get with a discount then I’d definitely buy one.

Master

Not so keen on the blue camo but wouldn’t rule it out. I think the black titanium model would be a perfect all rounder.

As a confirmed full-metal-square addict, my view is that the Ti models are definitely worth it. You can get some indication of the quality and lightness if you buy the bezel and bracelet sets separately from Casio (who are refreshingly sensible about supplying spares to end users), without committing to the full cost.

I just got the blue camo (with a 20% black Friday discount) and IMO it is worth that level outlay in terms of the quality. The inner case and module is noticeably lighter than the steel one, and the sapphire is a nice upgrade too. The finishing is excellent, with a nice combination of polished and brushed surfaces. Finally, the DLC really is tough; I've bashed my grey camo and matte black Ti bezel sets countless times, and they are pristine. I'm sure deliberate abuse would damage them, but they've been remarkably resistant to everyday clumsiness so far.

Combine all the above with the classic aesthetic and the rich functionality, and I think it's a winner.

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the feedback..still pondering. I do love the squares... But still think I'd want to wrap it in cotton wool..

Apprentice
    I’ve always been slightly gutted I didn’t pick one up new. I liked the non camo, very under the radar.

Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain View Post
    As a confirmed full-metal-square addict, my view is that the Ti models are definitely worth it. You can get some indication of the quality and lightness if you buy the bezel and bracelet sets separately from Casio (who are refreshingly sensible about supplying spares to end users), without committing to the full cost.

I just got the blue camo (with a 20% black Friday discount) and IMO it is worth that level outlay in terms of the quality. The inner case and module is noticeably lighter than the steel one, and the sapphire is a nice upgrade too. The finishing is excellent, with a nice combination of polished and brushed surfaces. Finally, the DLC really is tough; I've bashed my grey camo and matte black Ti bezel sets countless times, and they are pristine. I'm sure deliberate abuse would damage them, but they've been remarkably resistant to everyday clumsiness so far.

Combine all the above with the classic aesthetic and the rich functionality, and I think it's a winner.
    Show me a watch with that quality DLC at the price point. Especially the bracelet (full ti too). That was why I bought mine, I think it's fantastic value.

Quote Originally Posted by Loupe View Post

Not so keen on the blue camo but wouldn’t rule it out. I think the black titanium model would be a perfect all rounder.
    I just that Tron watch is there a model number? I’d love the cammo titanium full metal too - traded my shiny full metal on here and they are just awesome quality

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    I just that Tron watch is there a model number? I’d love the cammo titanium full metal too - traded my shiny full metal on here and they are just awesome quality

They are marmite but fab....
    The model ref is GMW-B5000CS-1ER just under £700 from Casio but they were on offer for circa £550 last week by an online company. ( cw sellers??)
    I bought mine from Ryan.
    Go for it!

As another Tron fan, I second Loupe's advice. Find one!

The coating seems to be robust and I love the way the colour of the grid lines ranges from bright, almost luminous silver-white to dark grey, depending on the light. But what can I say? I like Marmite, too...

I've got the plain, positive display model, and it owns. It's constructed to a very high quality and standard and is a great watch.

Hi, do you have a link for the blue Camo Ti please.

No chance, i have many Ti products and yes it is light but oh boy does it mark up and age rapidly. It goes to look rough in no time and in most cases i would pick stainless steel over it.

Quote Originally Posted by futon river crossing View Post
    Hi, do you have a link for the blue Camo Ti please.
    Here you are - Jura, use “BF20” as a discount code to get the reduction.

https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/produc...w-b5000tcf-2er

Here you are - Jura, use “BF20” as a discount code to get the reduction.

https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/produc...w-b5000tcf-2er
    If you talk to them, you can usually get a little more off the price than just using the code. I got an additional 6% off the Hamilton PSR.

Every little helps!

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    No chance, i have many Ti products and yes it is light but oh boy does it mark up and age rapidly. It goes to look rough in no time and in most cases i would pick stainless steel over it.
    The DLC acts as a barrier and protects the finishing. And Casio’s DLC is superb. Not a scratch on mine in nearly a year of ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    The DLC acts as a barrier and protects the finishing. And Casio’s DLC is superb. Not a scratch on mine in nearly a year of ownership.

I'll add that I smacked my flat black Ti bezel, hard, with a 20kg cast-iron kettlebell this morning. It hurt my wrist quite a lot, I invented some completely new profanities, but the watch was unmarked. Stainless would at the very least have been badly scratched, as would "naked" titanium.

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    If you talk to them, you can usually get a little more off the price than just using the code. I got an additional 6% off the Hamilton PSR.

Every little helps!

Yes - I managed to secure an extra 6% too off the plain titanium version earlier in the year.

Master
    I must say I do really like these and have been tempted. But what puts me off is that the module and display are the same as you'd find in a Casio watch costing a fraction of the asking price.

Maybe if they used the MIP LCD tech like the more recent G-Lide models, I'd find them even more appealling.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I must say I do really like these and have been tempted. But what puts me off is that the module and display are the same as you'd find in a Casio watch costing a fraction of the asking price.

Maybe if they used the MIP LCD tech like the more recent G-Lide models, I'd find them even more appealling.
    Completely agree. I have a GWB5600BC which has the same module as the metal square G-Shocks and cost £120 new, with a composite bracelet. I understand that the difference in price is entirely made up by the bezel and bracelet materials but I would find it difficult to justify 10x the cost for the Matt black titanium version. I really think that they ought to have kept their better modules for the higher priced watches (though I enjoy having it in mine).

Maybe buying a black metal G is akin to buying a white gold sports watch? It’s a humbler version of a pretty baller move!
    ______
    Just a quick edit to say that despite the above, I can’t comment on whether it’s actually worth it as I have never had hands on with the titanium G-shocks. But for me, I’d keep the plastic one and put the money left over into something else.
    Last edited by Idontgram; 3rd December 2020 at 13:34.